Author Topic: Magical MOAB Meetup 2023  (Read 34352 times)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Magical MOAB Meetup 2023
« on: October 19, 2022, 09:14:42 AM »
Maybe you’ve dreamed about attending one of these meetups but the stars haven’t aligned…….or maybe you joined us once or twice and had so much fun you can’t wait to come back…..whatever the case, I don’t know much about it yet other than it will definitely happen in 2023.  Probably in October.  So start making plans to join the fun, meet other wonderful MMMers, and make magical Moab memories!  :D

UPDATE:  Looking at October 6 - 13, 2023

This is the campground we will use.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 09:01:18 AM by NinetyFour »

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Magical MOAB Meetup 2023
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 09:36:52 AM »
Planning on it. Thank you for doing this.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 09:59:13 AM »
Planning on it. Thank you for doing this.

That’s great news!  And you’re welcome!!  :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 12:10:05 AM »
PTF :)

2022's camp was so much fun; I'm still enjoying the afterglow.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 08:34:59 AM »
PTF :)

2022's camp was so much fun; I'm still enjoying the afterglow.

Me, too!  Afterglow mixed with a bit of sadness.  But it will all happen again in approximately 339 days!!!  :D

This is something I’d be interested in doing either before or after our meetup…

This (specifically the Medieval Chamber) looks fun, too!!

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 10:48:51 AM »
Definitely want to attend again next year!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 09:42:00 AM »
Definitely want to attend again next year!

Awesome!  Hope you can stay for a whole week next time!  🚵

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 11:53:21 AM »
PTF. 2022 was great so if I can make it for 2023 I will.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 12:16:55 PM »
PTF. 2022 was great so if I can make it for 2023 I will.

Woo hoo!!!  I’m so glad!  :D

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 07:20:31 PM »
We are in, work and health allowing. 

94, you have inspired Mr. Embok, who said (without prompting): “wouldn’t it be great to do some walking and hiking so we could maybe keep up with 94 on the Delicate Arch trail next year?”   For which I thank you — he doesn’t particularly like any form of exercise, other than biking, so this is great mental progress, and I give you credit for inspiring him to think hiking might be both possible and fun!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 10:01:34 PM »
Posting to follow the plans.  I'll be there, life events allowing.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2022, 12:54:31 PM »
Oh, hell yes!

elledub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 05:10:45 PM »
Maybe 2023 will be the year my stars align for a magical Moab. PTF.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2022, 09:51:28 PM »
PTF

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2022, 11:17:41 PM »
The stars are definitely in Moab.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2022, 07:58:27 PM »
We are going to do our best to make it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2022, 09:38:57 AM »
We are in, work and health allowing. 

94, you have inspired Mr. Embok, who said (without prompting): “wouldn’t it be great to do some walking and hiking so we could maybe keep up with 94 on the Delicate Arch trail next year?”   For which I thank you — he doesn’t particularly like any form of exercise, other than biking, so this is great mental progress, and I give you credit for inspiring him to think hiking might be both possible and fun!

I very much hope to hike to Delicate Arch next year with both Emboks!!  :D

Posting to follow the plans.  I'll be there, life events allowing.

Oh, hell yes!

PTF

YAY!!!

I sure hope so!  It would be great to meet you!

We are going to do our best to make it!

Awesome!  I’d be up for more SUPing and biking!!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2022, 10:13:58 AM »
I just returned from three days of backpacking in the Needles District of Canyonlands.  @Fru-Gal and @AlexK were able to spend one day of the 2022 Moab Meetup there.  In 2023, I would love to take a group there for a day of hiking.  It is an amazing place.  On this recent trip, I hiked a trail that I’m pretty sure I had never done before and it was awesome.  I’m hoping to convince a few people to hike out to Peekaboo with me.  It’s an 11 mile (RT) hike, but you get two ladders, amazing scenery, an ancient granary structure, and a good amount of rock art at the end. 

Who knows, folks with a bit of extra time might want to spend a few days there (you can camp in the Needles campground, or reserve one or more backcountry sites).  If you do plan to stay there overnight, you’ll need to make reservations ahead of time (6 months ahead for Loop B of the campground; 4 months ahead for backcountry sites).  There are also some BLM campgrounds outside of the park, and I think they are first come first served.  There is a bit of dispersed camping but not much.  There is a privately owned campground called Needles Outpost just outside of the park.

Resources:

https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/needles.htm

https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/camp-need.htm

https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/NeedlesTrailsandRoads2022_WSupdate_forWeb.pdf

https://www.recreation.gov/permits/4675315

https://needlesoutpost.com/

(There is also a sweet little campground between Moab and Needles, called Windwhistle Campground.  First come first served.  There is some dispersed camping nearby, too.)

Please let me know if you have any questions!  I have hiked most of the Needles trails, am familiar with the campground, and have stayed in several of the backcountry sites.

For now, here are some photos (which are also posted in my journal):

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2022, 11:39:39 AM »
Would love to be able to see some of this next year! Depending on how the planning shakes out I may or may not be able to go. Job kinda gets in the way sometimes. But only a few more years of that nonsense, then the world is my oyster and Needles is in my bag :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2022, 03:34:10 PM »
We went to The Needles last year and loved it. We did not do the Peekaboo trail. Ho-lee shit!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 04:34:13 PM »
Sun Outdoors (the company that runs the campground we use for the Moab Meetup) is having a Black Friday sale, ending tomorrow.  I think it’s a 40% discount—not too shabby!!  I’m going to guess that we will be there at about the same time we were this year, so I am going to book a site for Oct 6 - 13.  See you there!!!

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2022, 09:56:07 PM »
Sun Outdoors (the company that runs the campground we use for the Moab Meetup) is having a Black Friday sale, ending tomorrow.  I think it’s a 40% discount—not too shabby!!  I’m going to guess that we will be there at about the same time we were this year, so I am going to book a site for Oct 6 - 13.  See you there!!!

I took advantage of this deal to make a booking. Thanks for the heads up!

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2022, 06:53:01 AM »
Yes thank you for letting us know about the sale and organizing such a great event.

She (my wife) who still needs to join and pick a name actually came in from work all excited and asked me to book a site. I had already booked it without asking if she wanted to go again… glad she was excited :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2022, 07:00:40 AM »
Somehow I missed this (though I did catch the spammer the other day), so I think it's too late, but y'all are worth paying full price for. 😃

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
Magical MOAB Meetup 2023
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2022, 07:07:11 AM »
Somehow I missed this (though I did catch the spammer the other day), so I think it's too late, but y'all are worth paying full price for.
The discount is still going on it ends 11/28 at midnight

So ~17 hours remaining

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2022, 07:11:38 AM »
Somehow I missed this (though I did catch the spammer the other day), so I think it's too late, but y'all are worth paying full price for.
The discount is still going on it ends 11/28 at midnight

So ~17 hours remaining
Woo-hoo, thanks!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2022, 07:40:42 AM »
PTF. After being gone more than home over the last six months, we haven't made any 2023 travel plans just yet.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2022, 08:27:13 AM »
PTF. After being gone more than home over the last six months, we haven't made any 2023 travel plans just yet.

Cool!  You might want to take advantage of this Black Friday sale (through today) to book yourself a site.  They have a very generous cancellation policy in case it doesn’t work out for you.  (But don’t just take my word for it—make sure you read the fine print!)   :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2022, 08:44:22 AM »
I booked site 100 for myself—thinking that I may want to plug my rig into the power source, just in case my solar panel can’t keep up.

And, thanks to Dicey’s great idea—I also booked site G8.  This is so that we will have a gathering spot for general hanging out, campfires, storing the camp chairs and hula hoops, etc. 

A couple other random thoughts: 

* There is a nice pavilion right below the playground.  Covered area with lots of picnic tables, an area to play horseshoes, and a big fire pit.  We might want to take advantage of that one evening and have a meal together down there.

* And I’d like to do a better job of celebrating Thanksgiving with any Canadians who might happen to be in attendance.  Last time, one Canuck expressed an interest in getting a turkey sub at Subway on that holiday.  We can do better than that next year!!!  Also, I should celebrate it since I have 🇨🇦 citizenship!

* Oh, and I really really really want to take a group down to Needles (Canyonlands) this time.  We’d have to get up early and drive 1.75 hours to get there, do a long hike (~10 miles) with breaks for snacks/lunch, then drive back.  So be thinking about whether that would appeal to you.  (Also, once there, we could split up into two groups:  one for the long hike, and another for a shorter one.)

* Also, I would like to grab a group camping site at Needles for October 13 - 17, for an “after party”.  The site I want (Dutch Oven) is pretty hard to get.  I will have to be sitting at my computer on the morning of April 13.  I might want to enlist other volunteers to help me try to secure it.  It might take a team of us at our computers…

Only 312 days until we gather in Moab!!!!  🐪

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2022, 10:34:01 AM »
I went ahead and booked my site but i don't think the discount applied. It looks like this place is not one of the participating campgrounds. I hope I'm wrong.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2022, 11:29:56 AM »
I went ahead and booked my site but i don't think the discount applied. It looks like this place is not one of the participating campgrounds. I hope I'm wrong.
Oh, please try again. Use promo code 22BLKFRIDAY at checkout. You can then cancel the first one.

We booked site 101 for October 4-11. The code saved us $126. Also, If you're not sure, you can make your reservation with a 50% deposit, so less risky. Although, as others have pointed out, their cancellation policy is fairly generous.

By booking the adjacent site, we should be able to drag our table over to site 100 for communal use. Having a separate site for gatherings means we can use the fire ring at 100 (they're not allowed in sites with RV's). If it works for anyone, grabbing site 99 would let us create an awesome Mustachian HQ at the campground.

And is it just me, or have the rates soared there in the last few years? Yeesh! Good thing it's so conveniently located and versatile.

Squee! Let the anticipation begin!

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2022, 12:17:40 PM »
Oh, please try again. Use promo code 22BLKFRIDAY at checkout. You can then cancel the first one.

OK, I called and the nice lady said she would send a refund to my card. THANK YOU!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2022, 01:09:24 PM »

OK, I called and the nice lady said she would send a refund to my card. THANK YOU!

Yay—I’m glad that worked out for you!!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2022, 01:13:59 PM »

We booked site 101 for October 4-11.

By booking the adjacent site, we should be able to drag our table over to site 100 for communal use. Having a separate site for gatherings means we can use the fire ring at 100 (they're not allowed in sites with RV's). If it works for anyone, grabbing site 99 would let us create an awesome Mustachian HQ at the campground.

Actually—I had intended to camp at site #100 and use G8 for the communal gathering spot.  But I suppose it doesn’t really matter.  We could see what makes the most sense when we get there!  We might play musical campsites…

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2022, 03:49:11 PM »

Actually—I had intended to camp at site #100 and use G8 for the communal gathering spot.  But I suppose it doesn’t really matter.  We could see what makes the most sense when we get there!  We might play musical campsites…
I'm up for whatever works, too. I just groaned inwardly when we selected the site and the photos showed a roaring campfire. Of course the fine print says "No campfires".

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2022, 05:28:12 PM »
They have extended the sale for one more day.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2022, 06:28:54 PM »

I'm up for whatever works, too. I just groaned inwardly when we selected the site and the photos showed a roaring campfire. Of course the fine print says "No campfires".

I’m pretty sure they don’t enforce that rule.  I mean, it doesn’t really make much sense to restrict fires there and not at the G sites, where someone’s truck camper (like mine) has a propane tank.  🤷

And I stopped in to the campground about a month ago and they told me that campfires ARE allowed at the cabins.  (I think some of us were under the impression they weren’t allowed there.)

They have extended the sale for one more day.

Yay!!!  Thanks for that info!

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2022, 08:14:45 AM »
Y'all booking the arches or the canyonlands campsite?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2022, 09:03:17 AM »
Y'all booking the arches or the canyonlands campsite?

Oops—sorry, I hadn’t yet posted this info.  Here it is.

I also updated the first post in this thread.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2022, 02:35:06 PM »
Only 307 days……. 🏜 🐪 🚴 🏄 😎

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2022, 04:09:49 PM »
I've been spying on these meet-ups virtually the last two years, and I'm gonna go ahead and commit early this year. I'm only a few hour drive from Moab so if you fine peeps can get out there, I certainly better be able to.

I'm in! Can't wait to meet and spend time with all you wise souls. Once we know what dates the majority will be there for (and nearish what sites), I'll get mine booked. Currently, I'm leaning toward the 6th through the morning of the 10th.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 04:16:19 PM by lilkidjesus »

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2022, 08:55:59 PM »
Not 100% certain I can make it (depends on how DD's college transition and some related things work out) but I booked both a cabin and one of the G camp sites with a power plug to snag the discount -- I most likely will be able to "sublet" one or the other to people who need to make plans later.

I cannot recommend this experience highly enough.  I made a very last minute decision to go, was only there for the latter half, and it was easily one of the highlights of my year.  So if you are on the fence -- don't be! 

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2022, 09:59:45 AM »
Not 100% certain I can make it (depends on how DD's college transition and some related things work out) but I booked both a cabin and one of the G camp sites with a power plug to snag the discount -- I most likely will be able to "sublet" one or the other to people who need to make plans later.

Is the discount still available? I assumed it was long over.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2022, 10:03:10 AM »
No -- it is over.  Just catching up and PTF this thread.

But there is probably still at least one option for someone to get a site at the discounted rate via "subletting" from me closer to the date.  It'll be a few months before my plans solidify....

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2022, 10:50:46 AM »
No -- it is over.  Just catching up and PTF this thread.

But there is probably still at least one option for someone to get a site at the discounted rate via "subletting" from me closer to the date.  It'll be a few months before my plans solidify....

Rights of first refusal, please!

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2022, 10:02:39 AM »
It was so nice this past time to have (almost) everyone wearing name tags. I had sort of heard of face blindness, and sort of thought it applied to me, but I never really looked into it.

I just read a few articles about it, and I learned that it definitely applies to me. I don't have it as strongly as some people do, but I have it for sure. I had a nice time with all the people there but I could only pick two or three out of a lineup, and that's if I could see the whole person, not just their face.

I hope nametags are a thing again next year.

Here's an interesting article, in case you're interested. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/magazine/wp/2019/08/21/feature/my-life-with-face-blindness/

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2022, 11:23:32 AM »
It was so nice this past time to have (almost) everyone wearing name tags. I had sort of heard of face blindness, and sort of thought it applied to me, but I never really looked into it.

I just read a few articles about it, and I learned that it definitely applies to me. I don't have it as strongly as some people do, but I have it for sure. I had a nice time with all the people there but I could only pick two or three out of a lineup, and that's if I could see the whole person, not just their face.

Here's an interesting article, in case you're interested. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/magazine/wp/2019/08/21/feature/my-life-with-face-blindness/
I struggle with this, hence the name tags. Unless requested otherwise, they will definitely be happening again in 2023. I hope the Class of '22 is saving their lanyards for re-use.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2022, 06:05:49 PM »

I struggle with this, hence the name tags. Unless requested otherwise, they will definitely be happening again in 2023. I hope the Class of '22 is saving their lanyards for re-use.

Mine is on a hook in the closet. Just need to remember to bring it!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2022, 06:37:34 AM »
I had a dream last night that I forgot to bring it to the meetup.  Sorry.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2022, 08:26:35 AM »
Hey, next year I will both live in driving distance and not be writing a thesis... When do you suggest people commit by?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!