Author Topic: Magical MOAB Meetup 2023  (Read 35695 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Magical MOAB Meetup 2023
« Reply #400 on: September 19, 2023, 03:35:39 PM »
We had British child immigrants too. It stopped in 1975. When I’ve read about it, most of the organisations concerned were operating in both Australia and Canada, and some were also sending the children out to New Zealand and South Africa. Some of the organisations had “farm schools” where the children built their accommodation and worked on the farm. The story seems to be better than it was. There’s a lot about it in “Children of the Empire” - a book and a bbc series and an abc series.

But child migration was happening much earlier here - if a child was sickly, it was sent to a warmer climate. My great great grandmother was sent to Australia by herself as a seven year old in 1857. She worked as a shop assistant. She’s the one ancestor who we’ve never been able to trace back past her immigration.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 04:13:22 PM by deborah »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #401 on: September 19, 2023, 03:58:45 PM »
We had British child immigrants too. When I’ve read about it, most of the organisations concerned were operating in both Australia and Canada. But child migration was happening much earlier here - if a child was sickly, it was sent to a warmer climate. My great great grandmother was sent to Australia by herself as a seven year old in 1857. She worked as a shop assistant. She’s the one ancestor who we’ve never been able to trace back past her immigration.

Sent halfway round the world on your own at 7?!!! I couldn't imagine what that must have felt like!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #402 on: September 20, 2023, 10:11:57 AM »
Back on topic -

We have decided to frontload our trip to Moab with a visit to our kids and grandkids (Squee!) in Colorado. This means we're leaving in one week - Eeks!

The lanyards arrived yesterday. I'm going to be working furiously on the nametags in the in-between-spaces. I still need first-name info for @Axecleaver and Mrs. Green. If anyone can provide this info in a timely manner, please PM me or use the chat. I don't think Axe checks in here often, alas.

I also have eleventy-million things to wrap up for my community event, so I have to stay on top of these details, even though is seems like there's plenty of time.
Thanks!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #403 on: September 20, 2023, 11:43:51 AM »
Back on topic -

We have decided to frontload our trip to Moab with a visit to our kids and grandkids (Squee!) in Colorado. This means we're leaving in one week - Eeks!

The lanyards arrived yesterday. I'm going to be working furiously on the nametags in the in-between-spaces. I still need first-name info for @Axecleaver and Mrs. Green. If anyone can provide this info in a timely manner, please PM me or use the chat. I don't think Axe checks in here often, alas.

I also have eleventy-million things to wrap up for my community event, so I have to stay on top of these details, even though is seems like there's plenty of time.
Thanks!

What are your Colorado dates? Maybe we can convoy in together! (and Mr. @Dicey can lend a hand putting skid plates on Mr. Jones before Mr. @ToTheMoon helps me scratch them up)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #404 on: September 20, 2023, 01:00:08 PM »
Back on topic -

Thanks!

What are your Colorado dates? Maybe we can convoy in together! (and Mr. @Dicey can lend a hand putting skid plates on Mr. Jones before Mr. @ToTheMoon helps me scratch them up)
Tentative plan is to leave CA on  Sept 27 or 28, likely the latter. Two and a half Almost three days to slog to chichi Colorado Mountain Town. Hang out with grandkids and possibly work like ranch hands at the, uh, ranch. Head back to Moab (~4 hours) on Oct. 3rd or morning of the 4th. Leaving Moab at the crack of dawn on the 11th, because we have to be home by first thing Friday morning, 10/12. Miss Rigby is pretty, but she is slow as molasses.

Since we're getting to Moab early, could the plate thing happen just before the meetup or at the very beginning? Mr. Dicey is very good at making and fixing things. I hear Frank is, too. If you need us to bring any (small-ish tools), LMK. Miss Rigby doesn't have huge amounts of storage space. Good thing she's pretty.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #405 on: September 20, 2023, 02:43:13 PM »
Now I could bring welding gear but I suspect the park hosts might have something to say about steel fabrication!..:)

I assume skid plate mounting is simple nut and bolt stuff.. Assuming the bolt holes actually line up!

I am tentatively (but flexibly) leaving on the 4th and arriving sometime on the 6th.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #406 on: September 20, 2023, 02:49:42 PM »
Back on topic -

Thanks!

Tentative plan is to leave CA on  Sept 27 or 28, likely the latter. Two and a half Almost three days to slog to chichi Colorado Mountain Town. Hang out with grandkids and possibly work like ranch hands at the, uh, ranch. Head back to Moab (~4 hours) on Oct. 3rd or morning of the 4th. Leaving Moab at the crack of dawn on the 11th, because we have to be home by first thing Friday morning, 10/12. Miss Rigby is pretty, but she is slow as molasses.

Since we're getting to Moab early, could the plate thing happen just before the meetup or at the very beginning? Mr. Dicey is very good at making and fixing things. I hear Frank is, too. If you need us to bring any (small-ish tools), LMK. Miss Rigby doesn't have huge amounts of storage space. Good thing she's pretty.

Maybe we'll see you at the Uh, Ranch. Which is an unusual name for a ranch, but hey, America seems to specialize in the unusual. It's what makes it special. Will have to plan offline or something.

Now I could bring welding gear but I suspect the park hosts might have something to say about steel fabrication!..:)

I assume skid plate mounting is simple nut and bolt stuff.. Assuming the bolt holes actually line up!

I am tentatively (but flexibly) leaving on the 4th and arriving sometime on the 6th.

Aye - prop up plate, put screw in hole. Repeat. Nothing hard about it. I may get bored and do it before we even leave Colorado. I can likely do it on my own with the assistance of a couple chunks of lumber to act as a holder-upper, but what's teh fun in that.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #407 on: September 20, 2023, 05:11:14 PM »
In other news, we are up to 52+ Mustachians & Friends.* Woot!

Of course, I only ordered 48 lanyards. I have one leftover from last year and Miss Rigby has been safely storing ours, so I actually know where they are. That brings the grand total to 51. See the challenge?

IF you still have yours from last year and can easily put your hands on it, will you please toss it in with your Moab gear? Do not make yourself crazy trying to find it. Just a few extra would relieve the pressure.

BTW, our fearless leader, @NinetyFour is [temporarily, I hope] locked out of the forum, which explains the radio silence. Well, that and the fact that she's in Portugal!

*There are also some small humans attending. I have no wish for them to be strangled by a lanyard. They will love the stickers I have ordered for them.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 05:25:06 PM by Dicey »

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: September 20, 2023, 07:22:19 PM »
IF you still have yours from last year and can easily put your hands on it, will you please toss it in with your Moab gear? Do not make yourself crazy trying to find it. Just a few extra would relieve the pressure.

You mean this one? Just stuck it in my kit. And if I add the new tag to this it will be double sided and I won't have to concern myself about flip flopping.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #409 on: September 20, 2023, 08:44:25 PM »
52 peeps.. This will be fun..:)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #410 on: September 21, 2023, 07:41:31 AM »
@Exflyboy - Hence the utility of nametags. I don't have enough sticky brain cells left to remember 104 names, not to mention the minimustaches who will be attending. Making the tags in advance gives me a head start, but it's still a struggle. Apologies in advance, Joe Frank.

@Cherry Lane, hooray, that helps. I also realized that I had Muppet on the list. He has politely telegraphed that he has no intention of wearing a nametag, because everyone will just know who he is. And so they shall, lol.

Note to all: Don't let a tiny shortage of lanyards deter you from jumping aboard at the last minute. IIRC, @lhamo did that last year and suffered no ill effects. In fact, I'm pretty sure she had a fantastic time ;-)

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #411 on: September 21, 2023, 08:58:51 AM »
IIRC, @lhamo did that last year and suffered no ill effects. In fact, I'm pretty sure she had a fantastic time ;-)

Only regret was arriving a few days late and missing the folks who only came for the first part!  Hence this year arriving on Day 1 (though perhaps a bit later in the day, as we are coming down from Yellowstone)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #412 on: September 21, 2023, 09:27:32 AM »
IIRC, @lhamo did that last year and suffered no ill effects. In fact, I'm pretty sure she had a fantastic time ;-)

Only regret was arriving a few days late and missing the folks who only came for the first part!  Hence this year arriving on Day 1 (though perhaps a bit later in the day, as we are coming down from Yellowstone)
And there will be nametags ready for you when you arrive, lol.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #413 on: September 21, 2023, 09:33:39 AM »
I'll ask Momma if we can pack a dozen of her seventy-billion lanyards.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #414 on: September 22, 2023, 01:18:06 AM »
Damn, she must have a much more reasonable source than I do. I could only afford 48.

Interestingly,  I went back to my dark source, and placed the same order as last year. If you recall, last year's lanyards were strong primary colors. The "same" order has completely different colors this time. Much softer tones and way too many pinks and purples, ugh. Moral of the story: if you liked the color you had last year, try a little harder to remember where you stashed it, or ask Momma v-e-r-y nicely.

Seriously, I think we'll be okay, but it's going to be very close. I hate running out of anything, because I don't want anyone to feel left out.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #415 on: September 22, 2023, 09:17:36 AM »
Damn, she must have a much more reasonable source than I do. I could only afford 48.

Interestingly,  I went back to my dark source, and placed the same order as last year. If you recall, last year's lanyards were strong primary colors. The "same" order has completely different colors this time. Much softer tones and way too many pinks and purples, ugh. Moral of the story: if you liked the color you had last year, try a little harder to remember where you stashed it, or ask Momma v-e-r-y nicely.

Seriously, I think we'll be okay, but it's going to be very close. I hate running out of anything, because I don't want anyone to feel left out.

We'll bring 10 for you. They won't match. It is possible that they will be branded for some weird thing.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #416 on: September 22, 2023, 09:48:31 AM »
50+ people?! Awesome!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #417 on: September 22, 2023, 11:28:43 AM »
T-MINUS TWO WEEKS.

At least, by this time 2 weeks from now, I'll hopefully be 4 hours into my first day's drive.  Can you tell I'm excited??

But totally not ready.  Like, I really gotta dig up the camping gear and stuff.  And you know what?  If the first night I sleep like shit with my tent/ cot+ mattress, etc., I've got MONEY.  Also need to get the oil changed in the old Matrix.

I need a break.  I've been taking care of sick people at home for 3 weeks, and now the DS17 has another cold.  Ugh.  I've already warned work I'll be going radio silent for the time.  NO computer.  "But you'll have a phone right?"  Yes...but I won't answer it.

Anyhoo, work has bit quite the shit show lately, so I'm excited for the break.

@Dicey I LOVE PINK

What happens if the government shuts down?  I guess, no national parks?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 11:33:59 AM by mm1970 »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #418 on: September 22, 2023, 11:50:22 AM »
Fortunately, there are plenty of places to hike and play in Moab that are not National Parks.

I hear you on the MONEY! One of the most unexpected benefits of reaching FIRE is that anything that can be solved by spending a few bucks is no longer a problem. OMG, the freedom that comes with that is so exhilarating!

T-Minus SIX Days for us. Ack! We are also excited, but I have so much shit to get done before we leave!

When the lanyards arrived, they were a wrinkled mess. I was trying to MacGyver something to de-scrunch them. I did a shift at my favorite thrift shop yesterday and found a cool stand from which hang them for a mere $2.00!  As you see, there are several pink and purple options.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 03:42:04 PM by Dicey »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #419 on: September 22, 2023, 01:59:32 PM »
Bom dia from Portugal!!

I have been keeping an eye on this thread, and am so grateful for @Dicey for answering people's questions and for jumping into the Name Tag Project!!  Dicey--you are amazing!!!

I will return to Colorado on 10/3......then will drive to Moab on 10/6 to meet all you people!  Very exciting!!!  :D

• Bristles
« Reply #420 on: September 22, 2023, 06:04:28 PM »
Barring flight delays, we'll be arriving at SLC at 4:30pm on Friday 10/6, renting a car and heading straight to Moab. We fly back at 6:30pm on Tuesday 10/10, so we'll be leaving early afternoon that day. Anyone who wishes is welcome to carpool with us in either direction!

Thanks @deborah, @Dicey, and @NinetyFour for ice cream, name tags, organizing, and all that :-)

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #421 on: September 22, 2023, 07:43:45 PM »
@NinetyFour, @Dicey and all:

I am so sorry but Mr. Embok and I will not be able to come to Moab this year after all.  I have an injured foot that is simply healing very slowly, and an ongoing deal where my clients, who are rather unsophisticated, are likely to have a bunch of movement on their deal during exactly the week of Moab — and they could lose a lot of money if I’m unavailable to handle the problems likely to arise on a fast turn around basis.

We will both miss you all, a lot.  We’re grateful we got to see a lot of you at CM*TO, and hope we can come to Moab in 2024.

All the best,

Embok

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #422 on: September 22, 2023, 11:02:00 PM »

I am so sorry but Mr. Embok and I will not be able to come to Moab this year after all.  I have an injured foot that is simply healing very slowly, and an ongoing deal where my clients, who are rather unsophisticated, are likely to have a bunch of movement on their deal during exactly the week of Moab — and they could lose a lot of money if I’m unavailable to handle the problems likely to arise on a fast turn around basis.

We will both miss you all, a lot.  We’re grateful we got to see a lot of you at CM*TO, and hope we can come to Moab in 2024.

All the best,

Embok
Oh, no. Sad, sad, sad. We will miss you like crazy and hope the stars will align next year. I hope your clients realize how lucky they are to have you.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #423 on: September 23, 2023, 10:35:49 AM »
Here's something to keep an eye on. It may fall into the "Do it while you can" category.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2023/9/22/23885837/moab-off-roading-new-blm-plan-could-close-gemini-bridges-labyrinth-canyon

It also underscores the point that there is much to do in Moab on land that isn't Federally owned. There are amazing hikes on privately owned land that are completely free. Kind of unexpected in this day and age.

Which makes a point I wanted to mention. It may seem like I'm doing a lot to organize this meetup, but that's because @NinetyFour is out of the country, and the stuff I do is mostly frontloaded. 94 is The Source when it comes to what to do in and around Moab. She has a phenomenal memory and has hiked huge swaths of the area.

This is so important that it needs its own paragraph: If you're a fiirst-timer, you should know Moab is the just-for-fun meetup. We have no planned speakers or seminars. People stay in different places and do entirely different (mostly spontaneous) things during the day. The constant is the evening campfire. Everyone is invited, and that's where plans get made, frequently over S'mores. There are still lots of good financial discussions, but they tend to happen organically, whilst doing other amazing activities. There is literally something for everyone, it's just not formally outlined. Moab is so spectacular, it provides all the structure, or relaxation, one could hope for.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 02:27:35 PM by Dicey »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #424 on: September 24, 2023, 12:11:51 PM »
Well folks, I caved. I succumbed to the lure of Amazon Prime today and ordered more lanyards. They must have heard me griping about the colors and their bots served up a smaller batch of the primary colors I used last year, at a reasonable price. Therefore, the lanyard crisis is averted. No need to scrounge around trying to find last year's lanyard.

In other news, I am done finished printing nametags. I'll stuff them into the holders during the endless drive to Moab.

If you're on the fence about coming, you have two days to change your mind and still get a printed nametag. Otherwise, I will bring supplies to hand make them, if any are needed. (You'll have to make your own, as my handwriting is illegible, hence the creation of printed tags.)

Since I have no desire to hang around the campground all day, I've devised a system for anyone to pick up their lanyards/nametags at our gathering site.

Also, I've tried to be really mindful of the way your screen name is punctuated. In a couple of cases, using lower case made it almost unreadable, so I used caps occasionally. If this is not to your liking, LMK now! (@lhamo, @lilkidjesus, and @Yearofsue come to mind, but I worked on them into the wee hours last night; there could be others.)

Finally, please say something, anything, y'all! I'm frontloading a couple of big projects, so I have to get all this stuff done early. We will also be off the grid for most of the week before Moab, so please ask your questions now!

One more tidbit: I purchased 30 edible ice cream bowls and 200 cones yesterday. The MMM Ice Cream Social could go on for days, thanks to @deborah's generosity! BTW, props to @FIFoFum and @Cherry Lane, who hosted an awesome one last year, and served (snirt) as the inspiration for how best to spend deborah's unexpected windfall. BTW, if you have room, please toss an ice cream scoop in with your gear. I've been scouring the thrift stores, to no avail, and I only own one. Hundreds of cones and one scoop is a potentially dangerous situation.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #425 on: September 24, 2023, 01:55:14 PM »
Good news is the ice cream melts quickly so spoons worked well last year.  Glad the ice cream social is now a tradition!

I don't recall if you were able to source lifejackets?  I think you found a few?

elledub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #426 on: September 24, 2023, 03:55:01 PM »
[mention]Dicey [/mention] Ice cream scoop added to the packing list

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #427 on: September 24, 2023, 07:39:59 PM »
Good news is the ice cream melts quickly so spoons worked well last year.  Glad the ice cream social is now a tradition!

I don't recall if you were able to source lifejackets?  I think you found a few?
I did. They're already packed, along with my single ice cream scoop.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #428 on: September 24, 2023, 07:40:33 PM »
[mention]Dicey [/mention] Ice cream scoop added to the packing list
Thank you!

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #429 on: September 24, 2023, 09:18:23 PM »
I just found an ice cream scoop that I haven't used in many years, if ever. It's with the walkie-talkies I'm planning to bring. The time is getting closer!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #430 on: September 24, 2023, 11:13:59 PM »
I just found an ice cream scoop that I haven't used in many years, if ever. It's with the walkie-talkies I'm planning to bring. The time is getting closer!
Teamwork, for the ice cream win!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #431 on: September 25, 2023, 11:10:58 AM »

All the best,

Embok
Oh, no. Sad, sad, sad. We will miss you like crazy and hope the stars will align next year. I hope your clients realize how lucky they are to have you.
@Embok  bummer - you're the person coming that I've actually met in person!!

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #432 on: September 25, 2023, 05:44:58 PM »
@mm1970:  you will have a great time.  The folks who have come the last couple of years have been really terrific.  I’m bummed we can’t be there, but there’s too much at stake for this client for me to be out of town.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #433 on: September 25, 2023, 07:48:28 PM »
@mm1970:  you will have a great time.  The folks who have come the last couple of years have been really terrific.  I’m bummed we can’t be there, but there’s too much at stake for this client for me to be out of town.
I'm bummed, too. I had already made your nametags, boo-hoo-hoo. Very adult of you to take care of business. I hope your client realizes that you're giving up to be there for them.

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #434 on: September 25, 2023, 08:50:54 PM »
@Dicey:  you may be amused by this— at CM*TO, Mr. Embok filled in his pronouns on his name tag with “Stop Talking “.

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #435 on: September 25, 2023, 08:52:02 PM »
We ere so looking forward to Moab, but sometimes client needs have to come first,alas.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #436 on: September 26, 2023, 01:53:25 PM »
Soooo....I'm super late to this party, I know, I know!!
TDA and I have been toying with the idea to attend for a few weeks (strongly encouraged in discussions with both @meadow lark and @Cannot Wait!
.....hmmmm

Getting there is not such an issue, as we are currently in NM. My problem is that I have stuff to take care of in TX in early October that would be delayed by at least 2 weeks if we decide to attend. Because there's a date overlap and getting back from Moab means 6-7 travel days for us (we limit driving to 3 hours a day because of the kitties).

But, but but....I'm really tempted....I've been really really tempted for weeks now...and have been secretly lurking in this thread....but I also didn't want to post and then backpaddle when I can't make it work....

In any case I am trying to figure stuff out and will hopefully make a decision by this weekend....so I wanted to warn y'all, just in case.....

We're not sure if we want to stay at the campground, might possibly boondock outside of town or on a friends property nearby....but who knows...

In any case, I wanted to post to let you all know that this is a strong possibilty but not a certainty yet.... don't say I didn't say I didn't warn ya!

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #437 on: September 26, 2023, 02:20:00 PM »
Hahaha you're cracking me up @FrugalZony.
I'm already here, plenty of room and good company!
Apparently 50+ people will attend - that many peeps can't be wrong ... 😁

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #438 on: September 26, 2023, 04:49:05 PM »
There is one RV site left at a discount if you check in on Oct 6 and out on Oct 14 -- just sayin!

Would love it if you could come.  Been wanting to meet y'all in person for years...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #439 on: September 26, 2023, 05:03:54 PM »
There is one RV site left at a discount if you check in on Oct 6 and out on Oct 14 -- just sayin!

Would love it if you could come.  Been wanting to meet y'all in person for years...
Amen to that!

If you even think you might make it, PM me your info and I'll make up nametags for you asap. We're leaving tomorrow, so get a move on! I'd rather make one you don't use (this year) than the reverse. A nametag and the secret handshake are required for admission to the nightly campfire. Also @Exflyboy is planning to camp on BLM land, so he may have some thoughts.

Whoops! Better send up a bat signal: Paging @FrugalZony!!! Come on down!

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #440 on: September 26, 2023, 05:27:30 PM »
Clarification:

Nametags are great but they are NOT required for satisfactory campfire attendance.  I showed up late last year, no nametag, and I still got smores.  And ice cream.  And tons of great conversations with old and new friends alike.

Anybody thinking of coming on short notice just DO IT!  You will not regret it.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #441 on: September 26, 2023, 07:00:20 PM »
Thank you @Dicey , @lhamo same here!!!
Dicey, I sent you a message for nametags, thanks so much for offering.

I really hope we can make it happen!!  Looking forward to meeting you all!!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #442 on: September 26, 2023, 09:49:37 PM »
Clarification:

Nametags are great but they are NOT required for satisfactory campfire attendance.  I showed up late last year, no nametag, and I still got smores.  And ice cream.  And tons of great conversations with old and new friends alike.

What lhamo said. I've already packed extra lanyards, card stock and sharpies. No one will be left out. My handwriting's crap, so you'll have to DIY your own if you want it to be legible, lol.

Dang it, I went to Grocery Outlet to get S'more stuff, but they had nothing! Fortunately, there will be plenty of shopping opportunities before we get to Moab. I read somewhere that old marshmallows toast better. I haven't had time to investigate this, but I do have some left from last year, so I'll bring them along, in the name of scientific research. Don't worry, the graham crackers, chocolate, and the other marshmallows will be as fresh as I can find. I usually bring along some Vegan marshmallows. Fingers crossed that I find some along the way.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #443 on: September 27, 2023, 01:00:33 AM »
Also @Exflyboy is planning to camp on BLM land, so he may have some thoughts.

Ummm.. nope crickets!

I don't even know where the BLM land is yet, but its somewhere near there I know that. I also have an SUV I intend to sleep in with decent ground clearance, so I should be good for a Walmart parking lot or a fairly rough off road trail and anything in-between..:)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #444 on: September 27, 2023, 01:09:35 AM »
OK one sensible thought. I am (at least for the first night and possible others) am planning to squat in @shadowmoss 's extra vehicle spot.. Yes and pay my half.. I'm cheap but not THAT cheap..:)

It maybe there are other extra vehicle spots available that folks might want to sub let. Heck for that matter @shadowmoss might want to kick me out if somebody can offer to buy more days than my notoriously frugal self is prepared to cough up for.

I mean Capitalism... Money talks..:)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #445 on: September 27, 2023, 07:32:50 AM »
OK one sensible thought. I am (at least for the first night and possible others) am planning to squat in @shadowmoss 's extra vehicle spot.. Yes and pay my half.. I'm cheap but not THAT cheap..:)

It maybe there are other extra vehicle spots available that folks might want to sub let. Heck for that matter @shadowmoss might want to kick me out if somebody can offer to buy more days than my notoriously frugal self is prepared to cough up for.

I mean Capitalism... Money talks..:)

Our spot is available on October 6th . We arrive sometime late afternoon on the 7th after a long drive from Denver. I booked the site for an extra day, so if anyone needs a spot to get settled on Friday, and wants to check in for us, please go ahead.

Just let us know so we don't have to call the camp to hold our spot.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #446 on: September 27, 2023, 10:54:55 AM »
Clarification:

What lhamo said. I've already packed extra lanyards, card stock and sharpies. No one will be left out. My handwriting's crap, so you'll have to DIY your own if you want it to be legible, lol.

Dang it, I went to Grocery Outlet to get S'more stuff, but they had nothing! Fortunately, there will be plenty of shopping opportunities before we get to Moab. I read somewhere that old marshmallows toast better. I haven't had time to investigate this, but I do have some left from last year, so I'll bring them along, in the name of scientific research. Don't worry, the graham crackers, chocolate, and the other marshmallows will be as fresh as I can find. I usually bring along some Vegan marshmallows. Fingers crossed that I find some along the way.
I have old marshmallows, or should I say, marshmallow.  It's one big mass now. No, I will not be bringing them...er, it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #447 on: September 27, 2023, 11:00:59 AM »
It's not totally clear to me from reading the website, but I *think* my front tent site also allows 2 cars?  If so, there's an extra car space at my site too (Oct 7-10).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #448 on: September 27, 2023, 11:22:24 AM »
@Dicey:  you may be amused by this— at CM*TO, Mr. Embok filled in his pronouns on his name tag with “Stop Talking “.
Curious, was that a reminder to himself or a directive to others? Asking for a friend.

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #449 on: September 27, 2023, 02:35:05 PM »
I think it was a laugh at himself!