Author Topic: Los Angeles / San Fernando Valley  (Read 81237 times)

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
Los Angeles / San Fernando Valley
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:35:05 PM »
I took it upon myself to break out from the SoCal thread (https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/socal), since transportation seemed like a pretty significant barrier. Although, a regional meeting down the road would be cool - literally, if it is somewhere coastal! Perhaps one day after some local chapters are born.

Anyway, here is the Los Angeles / San Fernando Valley thread. Oh, to live and die in LA...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:37:07 PM by michaelrecycles »

corcoran

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Los Angeles / San Fernando Valley
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:07:51 PM »
Michael thank you for posting, I started to feel like the other thread was a San Diego/Oceanside thread.
I'm over west of SFV in ventura county, but it's not as bad as a long distance trip to San Diego.

Let's see who else bites on this thread.

RosettaStoned

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 04:31:08 PM »
Green mustachian here from the San Gabriel Valley.

emperor joh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »
Hello, just joined today. I live in Valencia so just up the road from SFV and east of Ventura. Glad to know there are fellow mustachians close by!

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 03:41:43 PM »
SFV here, home of the valley mustachian (and valley girl).

Spartana

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 08:46:42 PM »
Surf City USA (Huntington Beach in the OC). I'm oh so close but yet so far (damn LA freeways).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:49:43 PM by Spartana »

Challenge Mantra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Challenge Mantra
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 12:10:54 AM »
Long-time Mustachian reader trying to become Mustachianian here in Woodland Hills

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 12:19:04 AM »
What do you think, y'all: Are we at critical mass for a meetup?

It looks like the SFV might be central so far. Any ideas?

GreenGuava

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 12:21:21 AM »
Long time reader, finally signed up to post here.  I'm over by Santa Monica but am willing to travel to meet. 

Challenge Mantra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Challenge Mantra
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 10:28:26 PM »
What do you think, y'all: Are we at critical mass for a meetup?

It looks like the SFV might be central so far. Any ideas?

Hi Michael, I'm game! :)  Based on all the comments, SFV sounds pretty central to me.

spoonman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 08:02:39 PM »
Another Angeleno here! Greetings!

missgradstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »
Culver City Mustachian here (two in the household)!   Would be fun to meet up for biking or hiking at a convenient locale!

iwannaretire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 11:45:44 AM »
Long-time Mustachian reader trying to become Mustachianian here in Woodland Hills

Hey, I'm in Woodland Hills too!  Hi neighbor!

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 02:48:31 AM »
Mid-City/Koreatown adjacent here. Hello!

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Mar-Vista here.  I'm very interested in what tips there are for Westside Mustachianism.  If that isn't an irreconcilable oxymoron, anyway.

skotzko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »
West LA mustachian here (also wondering if that is an inherent contradiction).

Connie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 01:38:53 PM »
San Gabriel Valley here, would love to attend a meetup.

Frugal_is_Fab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 07:41:33 PM »
New Mustachian working in Calabasas , resides in Simi Valley.  I would love an informal meet up to discuss Early Retirement and your strategies to get there.

I'm dying to meet people who have a plan and not just a wish!    How about a Friday night happy hour at Dish restaurant in Thousand Oaks?   It's possible to get a beer and a light appetizer dinner for $5.    Anyone interested please reply and we can figure out a date.

Also,  I thought I'd pass this along in case we become a group and want to attend an event in the future.  I purchased this voucher from Travelzoo for an Art Night in Sherman Oaks.   I'm probably looking to go in January and would love it if I could find some like minded friends who would go too.   I'm posting it now since there are only 21 hours left to purchase.  $25 gets you Art activities and supplies, appetizers and a glass of wine.

http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/San-Fernando-Valley/Other/69032?utm_source=localdeal_us&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1567253_html_los-angeles_deal%3a69032&utm_content=1567253&tz_adid=1567253
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:19:18 AM by kft4502 »

united6060

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 04:43:57 PM »
In West LA here...

pl28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
Hi everyone,  I'm in the south bay area (north Redondo) and was wondering if there are any group meetup locally? I'm also willing to travel around the LA area as well. I'll be riding my bike of course.

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 03:36:52 PM »
Hi everyone,  I'm in the south bay area (north Redondo) and was wondering if there are any group meetup locally? I'm also willing to travel around the LA area as well. I'll be riding my bike of course.

I've moved away from LA since starting this thread (although I do occasionally visit family).

There have been no meetups to-date that I'm aware of, but maybe someone can take up the torch.

pipp22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Also in West LA --- are these rest of you guys still around? Would be great to set something up before the end of the year.

Pootie22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 02:57:17 PM »
Long Beach!

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »
I'm still here in West LA.

Frugal_is_Fab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 04:15:04 AM »
I'm adding to this post to make it official...I won't be at Fitzgerald's tonight because I didn't get any confirmatations from your folks.  Please don't show up at Fitzgerald's tonight expecting a meetup

Hi LA and San Fernando Valley, mustacians,   I notice quite a few of you have replied since my last proposal of meeting at "The Dish" in Thousand Oaks.   However, no one replied with a confirmation that they would like to meet at the Dish or with a specific alternate plan.    I would like to propose that until someone is willing to commit to something , this meetup will never happen.

I would like to propose a date and a place to meet.    Unfortunately,  The Dish restaurant in TO has closed so it will be a new place.

I would like to propose a Happy Hour meetup at Fitzgerald's Lounge at the Woodland Hills Hilton (Canoga Ave) on Friday night Dec. 13.  The Happy Hour runs only until 7pm so the plan would be to arrive as soon as you can after work.   I could probably be there by 5:45pm.

Bear with me,   I'm not a big barfly so I don't know a lot of places but I used to work right next door to this hotel and came for happy hour here a few times.   At the time, there was a fantastic free appetizer spread and cheap drinks.  It seems the current deal is 1/2 price appetizers and drinks so not quite as good :-(.   Also, the room was quiet so you could talk at the time.   The last reviews I've found only are from late 2011 but they confirm things were still good there at the time.    If I get a confirmation from any of you good folks, I'll be sure to swing by there before the date just to make sure things are still good there.   If anyone confirms,  I will be there.  No confirmation I won't.   

Again, I'm super focused on my early retirement and investments and want to meet like minded people who are as serious and passionate about this as I am.   Thanks :-)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:04:44 AM by Frugal_is_Fab »

Pootie22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
Too far for me to make it on a Friday work night.

ethereality

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 01:18:34 PM »
I'm in the San Gabriel Valley!

Little House

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Little House in the Valley
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »
Hello from Northridge! If anyone plans a meet and greet in the San Fernando Valley, I'm in.

tuppenceberesford

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:23 PM »
In Santa Monica here!

FrugalManchu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
Mar-Vista here.  I'm very interested in what tips there are for Westside Mustachianism.  If that isn't an irreconcilable oxymoron, anyway.
Hah!  I'm in West LA as well (by Santa Monica).  My strategy so far has been to not step outside.  Kidding, but it would be nice to meet some people with similar mindsets and goals.

biffwhipster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 02:14:52 PM »
New here. It doesn't look like a meet up ever really happened... or did it? If not, is there any interest?

GettingFIinLA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 05:40:06 PM »
Hey there Mustachians!   To answer the last post, yes, there is interest.  I'm in such a minority here, being surrounded by all the spenders, that it would be great to meet others.  I'm in North Hills.  That tells you right there I'm living frugally.

biffwhipster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 10:46:18 AM »
Great. I live in Santa Clarita. A meet up would be nice. I'm not really sure how to drum more interest though as this seems like a dying thread.

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 12:09:39 PM »
New here, in Burbank.  Would love to do a family-friendly meetup!

wyldcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 11:07:13 PM »
Pasadena, CA here! I'm often in Mar Vista/ West LA since I visit and help out my mom there. Me and my SO would love to meet some other Mustachians in the area!

Rika Non

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »
Bakersfield.

Not quite in the area but I pass through LA quite often.  If there is another meet-up I would appreciate being added to the invite.

biffwhipster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
So it looks like we have about 5 people interested in this. Is that enough? Any ideas? I know someone mentioned a family-friendly meet up, which would be cool. Is anyone willing to host? A potluck might be fun.

The Little Whisker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2014, 10:17:17 PM »
Hi all.  I live in North Hollywood and am interested in a meet up.  Looks like we haven't had a whole lot of success with this so far.  :(  The pot luck idea sounds like a winner...perhaps something in a park.    I'll take a look around and see if I can't find a decent park somewhere central in the valley and maybe we can make this thing happen.  I'll post back later when I find something out.

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 09:43:12 AM »
Hi all.  I live in North Hollywood and am interested in a meet up.  Looks like we haven't had a whole lot of success with this so far.  :(  The pot luck idea sounds like a winner...perhaps something in a park.    I'll take a look around and see if I can't find a decent park somewhere central in the valley and maybe we can make this thing happen.  I'll post back later when I find something out.

Burbank has some wonderful parks!  Not sure how central it is, though.

bmedgt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 05:13:40 PM »
I'm way out in the IE (Redlands) but would be willing to travel to meet up if we get something definite planned...

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 09:31:16 AM »
I'm way out in the IE (Redlands) but would be willing to travel to meet up if we get something definite planned...

I went to college there!

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »
Isn't Griffith park near Burbank? That would be a neat place to meet. I'm sure we can do a little potluck there. The observatory is there as well. I'm in San Diego but wouldn't be too hard for me to make it up there.

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2014, 09:03:51 AM »
Isn't Griffith park near Burbank? That would be a neat place to meet. I'm sure we can do a little potluck there. The observatory is there as well. I'm in San Diego but wouldn't be too hard for me to make it up there.

Yep!  It's right near Burbank. 

The Little Whisker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2014, 11:53:10 PM »
Hi guys.  Griffith Park is a good location for a valley/LA meetup.  So this is what I'm gonna do.  I'll be there on Saturday, August 9.  Let's plan on 11am - 2pm, and we can do a pot luck, take a short hike, and I'll plan some games to avoid those awkward silences.  :)  Anyone who is interested, pipe up and let us know what you plan on bringing food wise.  I'll bring some homemade applesauce, because I love homemade applesauce and have never made it.  This gives me a reason to make it, and you all can be my guinea pigs.

Sometime over the weekend, I'll find a good spot to meet and post that spot back in this thread.  If anyone knows much about Griffith Park and knows of a good spot, speak up soon.  Otherwise I'll post the spot this weekend.

So who's in?

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 08:46:36 AM »
Oh, bummer!  That's like the one weekend from here to eternity that we have plans, lol!  We'll be in San Diego at Safari Park!

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
8/9 I'm scheduled to work.
The first weekend I'll have off is 9/20 and 9/27.

The Little Whisker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »
Yes!  0 for 3.  I'd be screwed in baseball.  :(  Anyone else interested in (and available for) an 8/9 meet up in Griffith Park?  You know you are.

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »
Yes!  0 for 3.  I'd be screwed in baseball.  :(  Anyone else interested in (and available for) an 8/9 meet up in Griffith Park?  You know you are.

Quite possibly!  I just moved to Culver City a few days ago, so would be great to meet some local mustachians.

The Little Whisker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »

Quite possibly!  I just moved to Culver City a few days ago, so would be great to meet some local mustachians.

Cool man.  I'm down to hang with you on the 9th even if nobody else shows up.  If it's just you and me, perhaps we should meet somewhere a little more central to both of us.  We can re-schedule the Griffith Park outing for a week or two later so the three interested parties above can attend as well.

Any other takers for the 9th?

How about you 3 that can't make the 9th?  Does the 26th work for you guys?  Or if not, state your availability in August and perhaps we can make something work.

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2014, 01:22:21 PM »

Cool man.  I'm down to hang with you on the 9th even if nobody else shows up.  If it's just you and me, perhaps we should meet somewhere a little more central to both of us.  We can re-schedule the Griffith Park outing for a week or two later so the three interested parties above can attend as well.

Any other takers for the 9th?

How about you 3 that can't make the 9th?  Does the 26th work for you guys?  Or if not, state your availability in August and perhaps we can make something work.

26th should be fine for me!