Author Topic: Longmont Mustachians?  (Read 9097 times)

CuriousLibrarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Longmont Mustachians?
« on: June 09, 2016, 06:16:42 AM »
Are there any Mustachians in Longmont who would be interested in meeting up?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Longmont Mustachians?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 04:59:24 PM »
Is this meant to be funny?

:)

CuriousLibrarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 06:20:24 AM »
I know they're here (and know it's Mr. Money Mustache's hometown, as it is mine), I just can't find any local meet-ups or gatherings except those hosted by MMM himself and tickets for those go faster than the White Rabbit. Glad my post made you smile. So far, that seems to be all it has achieved.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 01:35:41 PM »
It seems like MMM is organizing a Longmont meetup every couple months or so. I don't think all of them require tickets. Some are in parks. Check out his meetup page and twitter feed to see when he announces the next one.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:14:34 PM »
We just bought a house in Southmoor Park.  Message me and we can maybe meetup.

Jesscj81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:57:03 AM »
I'm also in Longmont I'm new to the forum. Would be nice to do a meet up.

Easy Does It FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Easy Does It FI
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 07:24:35 AM »
Is anyone around this weekend (oct 1)?
We're up touring front range housing, and our Longmont plans for Sunday evening fell through.
If anyone wants to grab a beer at lefthand or throw a frisbee on short notice, let me know!
easydoesitfi at gmail

OttoMatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 02:59:33 PM »
Hey there --

I'm also interested in getting together with other like-minded folks here in Longmont. It's a bit out in the future, but I'd like to propose a time and place to meet up to get a beer, some food, chat, whatever. How about...

Date: Saturday, January 21, 2017
     Time: 4pm

Anyone interested is more than welcome to join in. Maybe give a show of hands here to give me a feel for who's coming (i.e., how many/if I need to get a big table, etc).

A bit about myself --

Middle-age married engineer with two kids (8 & 10). Interested in the typical MMM type stuff (and also some stuff that would be considered wasteful/weak/extravagant by our friend Pete). Would love to create a group that would work together on projects to improve each others' homes and perhaps somehow do good within the community as well. For me, I'm into DIY, commuter biking, mountain biking, hiking & outdoors, skiing/snowboarding, tennis, music, mindfulness, cooking and general camaraderie! And, of course, my kids and family. Looking for new things to do and adventures as well.

Anyone interested?

Have a great day, right!?

Jesscj81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »
I'd be interested in meeting up then, I'll know better in January but likely.  Thanks,Jesse.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 07:58:51 PM »
Thanks for PMing me OttoMatic!  I'm game... It's a ways off, but I'll scratch it in when we do January's calendar.

I'm a middle aged engineer too.  One kid.  Good job within walking distance of my home.  I like beer, smoking meat, and electronics.

I'm looking forward to it.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 03:35:57 AM »
The 21st is fast approaching!  Just a reminder if anyone wants to meet up.  I was going to invite MMM himself since I was trying to get together an meet him anyway.

OttoMatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 09:08:56 AM »
Yeah, still on from my end. I'll be there in an orange ball cap, with family. Will try to secure a decently sized table.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 08:07:34 PM »
Um so i totally  screwed up and double booked myself on this day.  Can we postponed a week or perhaps meet earlier at like 2 or something?  I have a 6pm dinner in Boulder.

OttoMatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 09:12:37 PM »
Fine by me. We can start at 2pm. If others show up at 4, it's likely we'll still be there. Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 Long's Peak Pub in Longmont. See ya there.

VTI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »
Just came across this thread. Count me & my wife in for Saturday @ 2pm. Thanks for coordinating and looking forward to meet all of you!

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 09:07:26 AM »
Oh, hey everyone! I just heard from our "COEE" friend in my real email about this (not sure if hiw real name is secret) - thanks for the invite!

I think I have no excuse not to say "yes" to this - nice spontaneous planning, beer, weekend, and only a short walk from my house. So Yes!

Should I invite others too? What's the ideal size for such a gathering? (i.e. should I invite only people I really know, or put it on Twitter or something?)

Pete

Jesscj81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 10:33:21 AM »
FYI for anyone that hasn't been to Longs Peak Pub its a cash only establishment, i think there's an ATM inside and there are a few banks with ATM's in the area as well. 

Also is the meet up time @2pm? Thanks Jesse.

OttoMatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »
Pete -- Up to you on who you invite. My only concern about really posting it is that we'll overrun the restaurant. It'll be fun no matter. Bring your kid if you can; my girls had fun with him last time.

Jesse -- Yeah, 2pm start time.

See you all there.

mr1500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 1500 Days
    • 1500 Days to Freedom
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 12:05:09 PM »
Nice, hope to make it. This place has a big outdoors area and we're a sturdy bunch, so we could migrate there.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 06:58:15 PM »
Thanks for keeping my name secret on the board.  I do have co-workers that I don't really want to know my financial goals.  There probably aren't too many people here with my name I'd guess.  Anonymity is key for me.

I'm goods with inviting others.  The more the merrier to a point.  I do share some of the others concerns with space and stuff.  I'm particularly interested in meeting locals from town and nearby since I'm new here.

beard423

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 12:59:23 PM »
It looks like I stumbled on this thread a few weeks too late. My wife and I have been in Longmont for a couple of years now. It would be awesome to meet some of you guys.

Maybe we could do another meetup in the Spring sometime?

btw, @COEE I noticed you mentioned living in Southmoor. Our place is there as well.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 08:41:45 PM »
Ottomatic and I talked a little bit - We're thinking once every 3-4 months have an unofficial shin-dig somewhere - someone's house, park, bar, open space, etc.  Meeting up more often in unofficial ways as desired.

Having said that - I'd love to meet another Southmoor person in the hood somewhere.  Suggest a time and place and I'll try to make it.  Anyone else can join in too!

Also - I see you're new here - make sure to hit 'Attachments and other options' and 'Notify me of replies' in any reply to stay up-to-date to changes on this thread - that goes for everyone.

mr1500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 1500 Days
    • 1500 Days to Freedom
March 11: Hops and Handrails...
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 12:22:21 PM »
This isn't a frugal event, but hey, beer: http://lefthandbrewing.com/hops-handrails/

Anyone else going? I'll probably have a small BBQ at my place after...

OttoMatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »
If I can get my kids interested in H&H maybe...

As to regular meet ups for Mustachians in Longmont, I do think we should do it once a quarter or so. I'm not the king of this thread, so anyone's welcome to propose a time and place. That said, if no one else throws out something, I'll make something up in mid-March or so.

Have a good one!

mr1500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 1500 Days
    • 1500 Days to Freedom
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 02:01:47 PM »
Hey OttoMatic, I think that my children are going. They are girls aged 7 and 10.

If you don't make it, I'm game for something else mid-March.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
Re: March 11: Hops and Handrails...
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 06:18:47 AM »
This isn't a frugal event, but hey, beer: http://lefthandbrewing.com/hops-handrails/

Anyone else going? I'll probably have a small BBQ at my place after...

H&H looks like a lot of fun.  It also looks like it would be $40 for my family to get in - and my wife will not drink much - but I could try to drink her share (and a fun challenge to boot!).  I can buy a lot of beer for $40 that I can bring to your house.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'll probably pass on H&H, but I'm down with BBQ anytime - and I'll bring some beer (my share at least) and a starchy side... MMMMMmmm BBQ... now I'm hungry.

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 10:37:17 AM »
Hey again Locals Friends.. just wanted to pass along an invitation for some snowboarding for those inclined to spend lots of money and skip work. Here's the invitation I sent to my "Beer Club":

--- EDIT - Arrival date is the evening of March 25th, hanging out there to ride through the 28th --

Hey guys,

Every year for more than a decade, I gather with a few beer-swilling snowboarding friends known as the Safety Pirates for a few days of riding in various states and provinces. This year, it's in Colorado.

So we rented this nice VRBO place for 4 nights near the end of March. If you're free on any of those days, you are welcome to head on up to copper and we can ride together.

We can use this slopeside condo as a base of operations - full amenities including grill and huge hot tub!

The Safety Pirates traditionally bring a whole vanload of good ingredients and do huge cookouts in the rental condo. Also not to be missed are The Captain's home crafted Bloody Marys.

If you want to stay over one or more nights and make a real vacation out of it, we might even have a spare bed or two.

cheers,
Pete
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:58:05 AM by MMM »

OttoMatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »
Hey, Pete --

What are the exact dates?

-- Otto

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »
Oh yeah! That was in the *title* of my email to friends, which I forgot to include.

Heading up on the afternoon Saturday, March 25th to unpack, celebrate, drink, get settled in.

Then riding on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Weds.

The "Sunday" part could be a bit iffy (wasn't my idea to include that day), since it's a weekend and ski areas suck on weekends. But the rest should be spectactular.

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »
Just in case anyone local is still reading this thread, I have created a Slack group for Longmont Mustachians - should be much easier for realtime communication than this long-form forum. There's even a great phone app for Slack.

If you want to keep in touch on a more regular basis - including hearing more about events at the new building or easily reaching other Longmont Mustachians, you can set yourself up for free at this link:

https://stashmont.slack.com/shared_invite/MTY2NDA5NTA4NDIyLTE0OTE1MDU0OTItYzlkZDc0YjA1Yg

This is totally optional - there is already a "Boulder Mustachians" group on Facebook, or you can email me directly. But it could be a nice improvement for making stuff happen.

If you need a quick intro to this tool (worth learning!), just watch this 2 minute YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RJZMSsH7-g

beard423

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 09:54:04 AM »
Just in case anyone local is still reading this thread, I have created a Slack group for Longmont Mustachians - should be much easier for realtime communication than this long-form forum. There's even a great phone app for Slack.

If you want to keep in touch on a more regular basis - including hearing more about events at the new building or easily reaching other Longmont Mustachians, you can set yourself up for free at this link:

https://stashmont.slack.com/shared_invite/MTY2NDA5NTA4NDIyLTE0OTE1MDU0OTItYzlkZDc0YjA1Yg

This is totally optional - there is already a "Boulder Mustachians" group on Facebook, or you can email me directly. But it could be a nice improvement for making stuff happen.

If you need a quick intro to this tool (worth learning!), just watch this 2 minute YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RJZMSsH7-g

Can anyone hook me up with a slack invite? The above link seems to be expired.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2017, 07:22:50 PM »
So - we had such a good time last fall - care to do it again?

I'm not able to hit Slack either.  I made contact with a few Longmont folks - and I went on a vacation and had some other crazy things when I returned so I lost touch a bit.  Any takers?

Lots of folks have kids.  We spend a good 4 hours with friends at Sunset pool just lounging last week.  Takers?  Other ideas?

OttoMatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2017, 09:27:50 PM »
Yeah, was just thinking about posting something up myself. We're up for whatever, but after June 22 or so. Will be out of town for a while.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2017, 09:58:48 PM »
I'm in Erie, CO for the summer until August 15th. Longmont or Boulder would be around 25-30 minutes for me.

I met up with the Northern Colorado folks in May. Very fun and informative. That was more like 45 minutes for me. However, I have a rental house in Fort Collins and I planned the meeting around my trip up there to plant some juniper trees.

Chrisw6049

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 10:48:55 PM »
I would sure love to meet some others as well. My friends have not been enthusiased, but I am. I am a female software developer in my 50's.

OttoMatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
Hi, everyone --

My wife and I were talking about this and we'd be willing to do it at our place. That way, it would be a little more conducive to hanging out and discussion (as opposed to a restaurant). I'm thinking Saturday, July 8th in the afternoon (exact time TBD, but say start at 2pm or 4pm). We could all bring some food to share, and I have grill for anyone that wants to bring meaty stuffs. I'll probably have some IPA-type beers to share as well!

Kids, non-Mustachians and other weirdos welcome!

Please comment here as to thoughts and interest. PM me for the address. Should be a good time.

Have a nice day!!!

-- Otto
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:02:11 AM by OttoMatic »

Chrisw6049

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 09:24:13 AM »
I would love to come.  I need to be in Erie around 6 that day, but I would love to come for a bit.

OttoMatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2017, 12:04:52 PM »
Yeah, OK, it's on!

When: Saturday, July 8th at 4pm.
Where: Ottomatic Haus, Longmont East Side -- PM me for the exact address.

It imagine it'll eventually get into eating time, so the obvious way to go here is potluck. I'll do a couple chickens on the grill. Bring something to share if you want (but no pressure if you're not staying or eating, etc). Bring whatever for drinks, though I'm sure we'll have some around as well. Keep it simple and easygoing!

We have two kids aged 8 & 11, so mini mustaches are welcome.

That's pretty much it!

-- Otto

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 04:01:41 PM »
I'm planning on being there Otto!  Family in tow.

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2017, 12:00:47 AM »
Hi everyone! I just FIREd and my family and I are looking to relocate from HCOL Los Angeles. After all the great things I've heard about CO and Longmont, we're taking a trip to check it out next week. Would appreciate any advice on areas to consider/avoid, any tasty mustachian places to eat, etc. We're in town 11th to 15th, if anyone is around, would love to buy you lunch or coffee and pick your brain.

Thanks!!

Jesscj81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
Hi everyone! I just FIREd and my family and I are looking to relocate from HCOL Los Angeles. After all the great things I've heard about CO and Longmont, we're taking a trip to check it out next week. Would appreciate any advice on areas to consider/avoid, any tasty mustachian places to eat, etc. We're in town 11th to 15th, if anyone is around, would love to buy you lunch or coffee and pick your brain.

Thanks!!

Hey, welcome what type of food do you like? Where are you staying in Colorado so I could give you some suggestions on things to do?