Author Topic: Kyrgyzstan Mountaineering Aug15-Sept15/19  (Read 2468 times)

Korrywow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • World of Wonders, Words of Wisdom
Kyrgyzstan Mountaineering Aug15-Sept15/19
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:19:01 AM »
I'm a geriatric mountaineer and planning to rent a 4x4 and wander about the Tian Shan mts in this beautiful country. Check it out on Google Earth.

I hope to find other travellers willing to rent a vehicle so that we eventually have 2 or 3 jeeps in the party for security reasons, as well as breakdowns, etc.

Technically, l am a "scrambler". Off-trail, no trekking, no ropes, no oxygen. I am in my 50's and like to slowly hike along alpine ridges and scramble intermediate peaks if accessible during a 1 day return trip back to the vehicles. I do carry an ice axe and use gaiters.

We can also do overnight biv's where horses are avail to carry in the camp gear. That way we can easily access glaciated/glacial areas and hopefully see some rare wildlife. Roads are generally v bad as they haven't been maintained since the Soviet days.

Intermediate mountain experience required. All ages, genders and sexualities welcome
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:56:07 AM by Korrywow »

Bikeguy

• Stubble
Re: Kyrgyzstan Mountaineering Aug15-Sept15/19
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 03:04:50 PM »
Hoping to get "involuntarily separated" January 15 from a major auto company.  Would definitely like to do this if that occurs.  May end up doing this even if that doesn't occur.  Also 50's and enjoy scrambling up mountains.

Korrywow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Kyrgyzstan Mountaineering Aug15-Sept15/19
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:29:30 PM »
Hello Bikeguy...l'm surprised that there are so few replies to this post, l was afraid that there would be too many people interested and that it would become a logistical challenge.

2 jeeps, 2 people would be fine. The greatest costs involved will be flights ($1.5-2K) and jeep rental ($75-100/day). After that, local hotels/homestays and food are negligible. Horse rental, for ex., was only $10/ day.

Korrywow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Kyrgyzstan Mountaineering Aug15-Sept15/19 CANCELLED
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 12:41:32 PM »
Trip cancelled due to knee injury, possibly a torn meniscus. ...so, l will go to somewhere easier ( Sierra Nevada, Spain?) if the knee improves...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!