Author Topic: Golden, CO  (Read 14357 times)

Cascade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Golden, CO
« on: August 03, 2017, 07:08:48 PM »
Hello All!

I'm relatively new to the forum and am looking to meet up with some local folks around the Golden, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Lakewood, Denver area. Any interest in meeting up at a local brewery sometime in August?

aperture

• Bristles
Re: Golden, CO
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 03:51:46 AM »
Hey Cascade, I am interested in seeing more mustachian community in NW suburbs of Denver.  I would be glad to meet for coffee sometime. -aperture.

o0olizo0o

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »
I would be interested in a brewery (or other) meet-up. I am in NW Denver.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 01:03:37 PM »
My son and I are visiting Colorado School of Mines next week.  If there's a meetup on the 11th I could try to make it.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 01:16:15 PM »
I suggest GCB!

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »
I suggest GCB!

Golden Golden City Brewery gcbrewery.com on Friday Aug 11th?  I am game, but I can't get there until ~6 PM.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »
We're flying out of the airport at about 7pm, so probably wouldn't be able to make it.  But hey, I'm an out-of-towner and might not be able to make an earlier time anyway (the real purposes of our trip is for my son to visit the school and to try to climb Mount Elbert, not for me to do MMM meetups).

Sorry for my social confusion.  It's been a rough week here in my world.

Cascade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »
Glad to hear from you all!

secondcor521, sorry to hear that the time doesn't work for you. Enjoy your time in Golden. Mines is a great school and you won't be disappointed with Mount Elbert or any of the nearby 14ers for that matter. I've spent most of my life in this area and so feel free to reach out if you have any questions about it!

Friday 8/11 actually works great with my schedule and I think Golden City Brewery is a fantastic idea. Perhaps we plan to meet there around 6:30 for those that can make it?

Cascade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 01:03:48 PM »
Apologies for the back to back posts. But, just realizing that GCB closes at 7:30 pm, can I propose that we move the date to 8/12 and shoot for mid afternoon which would allow us some more to hang out and converse? Say 3:30pm?

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 05:31:08 PM »
Apologies for the back to back posts. But, just realizing that GCB closes at 7:30 pm, can I propose that we move the date to 8/12 and shoot for mid afternoon which would allow us some more to hang out and converse? Say 3:30pm?

Sounds good to me.

o0olizo0o

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 09:57:54 AM »
8/12 at 3:30 works for me.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 11:49:18 AM »
secondcor521, sorry to hear that the time doesn't work for you. Enjoy your time in Golden. Mines is a great school and you won't be disappointed with Mount Elbert or any of the nearby 14ers for that matter. I've spent most of my life in this area and so feel free to reach out if you have any questions about it!

Thanks!  I hope you folks have a fun time!

Mines will be interesting.  One of the best engineers I ever worked with was a CSM graduate.  My son's current GPA and test scores put him in the middle of the Mines pack, which is not where he wants to be (he'd rather be in the upper half somewhere), but he doesn't apply himself as much as he could.  I think he could be successful there if he decides to and is willing to put in the effort.  We'll see.

Attempting Mt. Elbert on Thursday.  It will be my second attempt, but hopefully I execute a better plan this time than I did last time.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »
I won't be able to make it that day, but would be open to some other, have fun yall

- and @secondcor521, I went to Mines for Grad school and thought it was just absolutely top notch, couldn't recommend it enough. That being said, your son is in for a rude awakening if he chooses Mines, they've sort of switched up their acceptance policy to open up to more students, then just made the majority of the freshman/sophomore classes "weed out" courses. It will be lots and lots of work. My undergrad was spent at Traditional state schools, it is a different world at Mines, much harder on average for the undergrads.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 05:52:55 PM »
Why do you think they've done that?  Since it's basically an all-engineering school, those weeded out would drop out, and that would reflect unfavorably in their graduation statistics.  Probably also in the quality of the first two years of classes too if there are those that aren't going to make it.  They might get more money if a lot of those weeded out are out of state kids (like mine would be - we're from Idaho).

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 08:38:34 AM »
Those who have indicated they will attend MMM meetup Saturday 8/12 at 3:30 PM at Golden City Brewery:
Cascade
o0olizo0o
aperture

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 10:53:02 AM »
Why do you think they've done that?  Since it's basically an all-engineering school, those weeded out would drop out, and that would reflect unfavorably in their graduation statistics.  Probably also in the quality of the first two years of classes too if there are those that aren't going to make it.  They might get more money if a lot of those weeded out are out of state kids (like mine would be - we're from Idaho).

honestly i think they're trying to go private, they've been buying out state buildings and replacing with new private funded buildings. It's not a move I agree with, part of the charm of CSM is you can go to a top notch STEM school on the (relative) cheap.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 08:41:45 PM »
Those who have indicated they will attend MMM meetup Saturday 8/12 at 3:30 PM at Golden City Brewery:
Cascade
o0olizo0o
aperture

Oops, Mrs. aperture just filled me in on travel plans for the weekend. Unless you all want to change the venue to Salida, I am not going to be around to join. Regrets, aperture.

Kai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »
Hi there, my wife and I just moved to Olde Town Arvada from Kansas City.  We'd love to join you.  We're available 8/12 at 3:30 and also happy to wait for another time when aperture can make it too.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 07:19:54 PM »
Hey there, I am new to Denver and happy to join 8/12 afternoon or another time!

Cascade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 06:07:47 PM »
aperture - Sorry to hear that, enjoy the time in Salida!

If everyone else is still available, I would propose that we maintain the 8/12 3:30pm @ Golden City Brewery for the time being. But, I would certainly be open to another social event in the near future and maybe we can make this a semi regular thing if people are interested.

So, as it stands for Saturday we have:
Cascade
o0olizo0o
Kai +1
peppermint

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:15:19 PM by Cascade »

Mustachio Bashio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 10:54:15 AM »
I'm based in Denver, but I might be able to meet up tomorrow.  Depends on if we're going to another afternoon shindig here instead.  I'll post once I know.  Would love to meet some local mustachians.

Cascade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 12:42:41 PM »
Looking forward to meeting those that are able to make it out this afternoon! I'll be wearing a green shirt and so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult for us to find each other.

o0olizo0o

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
Hi! I was there at 3:30 and the only person wearing a green shirt claimed to not be there for a meet-up (and he appeared to be on a first date, but I asked him anyway). I hope other people were able to find each other. I am definitely interested in a Denver-area meet-up in the future.

Cascade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 07:26:34 AM »
o0olizo0o - I'm really sorry that we weren't able to meet up. 4 of us were able to find each other and so we should have kept a more diligent eye out for you.

I would be very interested in another meet up towards the Denver area in the future. Perhaps we could shoot for a time in September?

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »
o0olizo0o - I'm really sorry that we weren't able to meet up. 4 of us were able to find each other and so we should have kept a more diligent eye out for you.

I would be very interested in another meet up towards the Denver area in the future. Perhaps we could shoot for a time in September?

Same thing happened first time Ft Collins meetup happened - two groups met on different sides of the same coffee shop.  I would really like to join next meetup.  Avanti might be a suitable locale since you can eat or drink as much or little as you want (low pressure to buy) and seating can be organized pretty fluidly. avantifandb.com.  I have not been there on a Saturday afternoon, but it gets super busy on Saturday night, so peak hours would not work at all. 

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 11:24:03 AM »
It was good to meet everyone yesterday! It would be fun to meet up again!

Liz -- sorry we did not find you! Next time, we can figure out some sort of identifier or exchange contact info beforehand.

bob123456

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »
Hi all,

New to the forum and live in the Rosedale neighborhood of Denver - anxious to meet all of you at a future meetup. I'm not terribly far from Declaration brewery which is quite bikeable and/or light-rail-able.

Cheers!

Cascade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 02:15:15 PM »
Avanti might be a suitable locale since you can eat or drink as much or little as you want (low pressure to buy) and seating can be organized pretty fluidly. avantifandb.com.  I have not been there on a Saturday afternoon, but it gets super busy on Saturday night, so peak hours would not work at all. 

I think Avanti would be worth trying out. Is there any interest in trying to organize a meetup for September? Say the weekend of 9/16?

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2017, 08:15:28 PM »
Avanti might be a suitable locale since you can eat or drink as much or little as you want (low pressure to buy) and seating can be organized pretty fluidly. avantifandb.com.  I have not been there on a Saturday afternoon, but it gets super busy on Saturday night, so peak hours would not work at all. 

I think Avanti would be worth trying out. Is there any interest in trying to organize a meetup for September? Say the weekend of 9/16?

Mrs aperture and I are available 9/16 and are flexible on time and location at this point.

Mustachio Bashio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 07:53:44 AM »
I can do that.  No visit to Avanti is complete without an arepa.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 11:30:07 AM »
I live in NE Denver but work in NW and would be interested in joining in. I work that weekend, so I am only free Saturday after 6/6:30, or Sunday morning. Keep me posted!

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »
My sister is visiting me the weekend of 9/16 so I'm out, but I hope you all have fun!

bob123456

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2017, 07:51:23 AM »
I could meet weekend of 9/16 at Avanti!

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »
I would be interested in attending the Avanti meetup. The location is the one in LoHi? The only Avanti I could find in Golden was for an insurance agency, am assuming that is the incorrect location.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2017, 07:03:29 AM »
I would be interested in attending the Avanti meetup. The location is the one in LoHi? The only Avanti I could find in Golden was for an insurance agency, am assuming that is the incorrect location.

Correct - Avanti is in LoHi.  avantifandb.com

Cascade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »
Glad to see that people are interested! I scouted Avanti out on Friday afternoon around 12pm and it was fairly crowded but not completely packed. Should we try to shoot for Sunday (9/17) around 11am right when it opens?

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2017, 05:21:54 PM »
I can do Sunday 9/17 at 11:00 AM - we could grab a large table and then people can filter in from 11 to 2ish (presuming some will come later and stay later) -ap

Kai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2017, 10:44:36 PM »
My wife and I will be there!

IWannaGo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »
I'd love to join up on Sunday 9/17 as well. 

SCCo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2017, 10:04:55 AM »
I would show up for 9/17 also

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2017, 07:42:42 PM »
Sounds like there is a quorum for Sunday 9/17 meeting starting at 11:00 AM.  Suggest a table on the 2nd floor.  I recall that seating is in two main areas - one behind the bar is outdoors with couch type seating. The other is long picnic type tables with benches (I think) in an exposed area that has a roof (east end?). Unless someone feels strongly, I think we could get more people around a picnic table than those open couch-type tables.  Suggest who ever gets there first choose the table seating that looks best and message this thread with location - or bring some sort of flag to help everyone to locate the gathering. 

I look forward to meeting some other denver/golden mustachians. 

Cascade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 06:49:15 AM »
Suggest who ever gets there first choose the table seating that looks best and message this thread with location - or bring some sort of flag to help everyone to locate the gathering.

Sounds like a great idea. I'll plan on arriving right around 11am and will make sure to bring some sort of marker to make sure everyone can find us.

Looking forward to this!

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 10:10:50 AM »
I vote that we all wear fake (or real) mustaches in order to identify each other.

o0olizo0o

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2017, 04:38:48 PM »

IWannaGo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »
Haha!  Fun idea on the mustaches!  How many of us are meeting up thus far?

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2017, 01:54:33 PM »
DW and I are planning to attend tomorrow. We look forward to meeting others from the Denver Metro area.   For any last minute folks, here is the specifics again:

Sunday 9/17/17 starting at 11 AM at Avanti avantifandb.com 2nd floor - look for something mustachian on a table or search this thread for an update to locate the gathering.

Best wishes, Ap.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2017, 10:34:48 AM »
Welp, I won't be there. Headache/sore throat/cough/constant phlegm means I'm not leaving home today.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2017, 02:46:24 PM »
Welp, I won't be there. Headache/sore throat/cough/constant phlegm means I'm not leaving home today.

Sorry we didn't catch you ptobeast.  Hope you are feeling better soon.
-aperture

Cascade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 12:39:33 PM »
Yes, feel better soon ptobeast.

Thanks again to all that made it out yesterday. It was inspiring to meet up with people that share the same ideas. It sounds like the NW Denver thread is organizing a meet up 10/14 at 3:00 pm at Call to Arms. Perhaps this can serve as our October meet up and we can work to organize something for November at that point.

Enjoy your Monday!

IWannaGo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »
Hey Golden!  Posting the same message here as I just did under the NW Denver group.  Likely we will be someplace close to Golden for those who'd like to join....check out the NW Denver post and I'll have updates and firm plans there sometime in November for a December meet up.

NW Denver Post: Great meeting up with everyone yesterday at Call To Arms!  Holidays are coming up and I'm putting a date out there for us to get together again before the end of the year....suggestions on time and location welcome.

• Saturday, December 9th - morning or afternoon?  Anytime we can grab tables during the less busy times. 
    Place - Suggestions for someplace?  Suggestion for Arvada for our next gathering.
[/i][/i][/i]