Author Topic: Detroit  (Read 3264 times)

slugsworth

• Bristles
Detroit
« on: April 15, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
I'll be in Detroit for a week coming up and was hoping to get a locals perspective.  I'll be in the City of Detroit and won't have access to a car, so I'm hoping that I can meet people who actually live in the city.

Researcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Detroit
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »
Hi slugsworth,

I'm from Detroit, but I don't know how much perspective I can provide as I've lived a (relatively) sheltered life. What areas will you be visiting? What will you be doing?

I will try my best to help. :)

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:02:06 AM »
Hi Researcher, This coming Monday and Tuesday I'm on my own and am just exploring the city.  Since the original post I've gotten an agenda for Wed-Friday, but short version is that I've got several job interviews and am considering relocating to Detroit.  I'm basically interested in learning about the neighborhoods, the revitalization efforts and the quality of life possible in the city. I was hoping that some mustachians might be able to help direct me to neighborhoods that had a lot to offer, that are pedestrian friendly, not too pricey, and that aren't too dangerous.

As far as areas, I'm planning on staying in Corktown the first night and but I'll be downtown thereafter (I've got free lodging).  Since I really don't have too much time, I'll probably stay in the city limits, a friend recommended Ferndale, and I might make it out there.

Researcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »
Sorry I didn't replied sooner.

Honestly, being that Detroit is the Motor City, it's not very pedestrian friendly. There is little public transportation, and the bus system is horrid (at least it was when I was bussing to school)! Ferndale is a okay area, it is near Royal Oak which is nicer but more expensive. If you're planning on working in the city limits and keeping your driving/commute down, I don't recommend relocating to a suburb. Staying downtown would be a nice option, although I'm not familiar with rental rates in the area. There are some companies that give incentives to live downtown (Blue Cross Blue Shield, Quicken, Compuware, DTE & some others). This website will give you more info on that http://www.detroitlivedowntown.org/

Hope that helps!

The Dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 02:57:03 PM »
As far as areas, I'm planning on staying in Corktown the first night and but I'll be downtown thereafter (I've got free lodging).  Since I really don't have too much time, I'll probably stay in the city limits, a friend recommended Ferndale, and I might make it out there.

Got to the party late; sorry.  Still looking at Detroit to relocate too?  If so let me know and I can give some advice.  Both my brothers went to Wayne State (down town) and I have lived in the greater Detroit area the bulk of my life.  Let me know if I cna be of some help. 

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 01:32:28 AM »
Thanks Researcher and Dutchman, I'm now back from Detroit and will send you guys a PM if I've got some specific questions. It is a pretty interesting area you guys live in.