Author Topic: DC meetup scheduled-- Sunday, July 14th  (Read 5771 times)

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
DC meetup scheduled-- Sunday, July 14th
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:29:55 AM »
I've locked the previous thread now that a meet has been scheduled: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/dc-area-folks-possible-dates-for-picnic-in-washington-dc/

A date has been scheduled for an upcoming Washington, DC Meetup: Sunday, July 14th at 2 pm. The meetup will be a potluck picnic at Meridian Hill Park. I will bring a picnic blanket and food to share and I encourage you to do the same. I'll post closer to the meetup date with a description for how to find me when you get to the park. Also, if the weather ends up being horrible, check back here to see if the meetup is still on.

Meridian Hill Park is located between 15th and 16th Streets NW and between Euclid Street and Florida Avenue. If you can't bike to the park, it may be helpful to know that it is a short walk from the Columbia Heights metro and multiple bus lines.

I hope to see some of you there!

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
Re: DC meetup scheduled-- Sunday, July 14th
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 09:51:15 AM »
It would be great to get an idea of who plans to come next weekend. Feel free to post here or to message me privately. Thanks!

cpthammer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 09:23:02 AM »
Perfect, I should be able to make it (there's a small chance I may need to work that day).  Meridian Hill Park is about a five minute walk from my apartment!

Hopefully see you there!

-Jason

Fletch

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:37:41 AM »
I'll be there!

nataelj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
I have a conflict and can't make it, but if you have another event please repost or send me a PM, I'd love to come next time!

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:13:49 AM »
Hi everyone. I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow mustachians on Sunday and hoping for good weather!

I'll set up a picnic blanket in a grassy and shady area in upper/flat portion of the park. I'll bring my bike, which is very bright orange, to help you spot me. The orange is so bright that it is visible from some distance.

airumair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »
good idea, would be nice to meet other readers in the area, I will try to make it

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 09:22:14 AM »
Same here.  Do we have a rain alternative plan? The weather was  a little exciting last night.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 06:35:44 PM »
Unfortunately I will be busy with work, but count me in for next time.

fidgery

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 09:25:23 PM »
Young mustache here, delurking because I'd like to come to this! I may be a little late getting down there but I will bring baked goods. It's supposed to storm tomorrow, but Sunday looks sunny.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 05:03:44 AM »
I'm looking forward to meeting folks today! It looks like the weather will be fine for our picnic.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 07:11:41 AM »
Have fun! I hope I can attend next time!

fidgery

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 06:10:30 PM »
Awesome to meet everyone, and thanks jfer_rose for organizing! I had a great time. How would you all feel about a walk-and-talk through Rock Creek sometime in August/early September? Maybe after Labor Day so people have time to get back from vacations?

For those who were curious, here's the recipe for the black-bean brownies:

15-oz can of black beans
3 eggs
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder

Rinse the beans and blend everything in a food processor until it's very smooth, then pour into a greased pan and bake 35 minutes at 350˚F.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
Agreed, it was awesome to meet everyone and I was super impressed with the turnout! And thanks for the recipe! In that vein, here's a link to the bean salad I brought (I omitted the avocados, would likely be even better with them!): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/pinto-bean-salsa-salad-recipe/index.html

I love the idea of a Rock Creek Park walk for the next one. That said, my schedule for late August/early September is kind of nuts with two out of town weddings and a work conference so it is possible I may not be able to make it. But if we indeed follow through in making this a regular thing I can always catch the next one.

dcsaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 04:42:55 AM »
I'd like to be notified of the next DC meet-up!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 07:51:39 AM »
Awesome to meet everyone, and thanks jfer_rose for organizing! I had a great time. How would you all feel about a walk-and-talk through Rock Creek sometime in August/early September? Maybe after Labor Day so people have time to get back from vacations?

For those who were curious, here's the recipe for the black-bean brownies:

15-oz can of black beans
3 eggs
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder

Rinse the beans and blend everything in a food processor until it's very smooth, then pour into a greased pan and bake 35 minutes at 350˚F.

On the Rock Creek Park topic, I saw a flyer for a free yoga class near the Rock Creek Park nature center. If that is something anyone wants to do, let me know!

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 06:59:51 AM »
Belated thanks to jfer-rose for organizing.  It was great to bounce ideas off fellow mustachians.  I'd be up for another meetup.

Fletch

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 09:09:10 AM »
It was great to meet you all, count me in for a meetup sometime after Labor day, and Rock creek park would be great. Does everyone expect to be in town the weekend of September 14/15?

the recipe for spring rolls was mostly just "Take whatever vegetables you have in fridge, add some tofu and sriracha, wrap in rice paper. use up those refrigerator pickles too. realize you've made a terrible mistake by not eating the rolls right away as the wrappers begin to tear. switch to forks. cross 'private chef' off the list of future part time careers."

But if you are looking for actual pickle recipe inspiration: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/06/pickled-vegetable-sandwich-slaw/
I have been experimenting with variations on this one.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 02:13:14 PM »
I'd also like to know when the next DC meet-up is! I was out of town during this one. Looks like you all had fun, though!

Igelfreundin

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 11:01:12 PM »
I'm sorry I missed this meet-up! If there's another one planned, count me in.

fidgery

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 07:06:11 PM »
It was great to meet you all, count me in for a meetup sometime after Labor day, and Rock creek park would be great. Does everyone expect to be in town the weekend of September 14/15?

We should organize another poll for the weekends in September and see what people prefer. 14th is fine for me.

Would we want to bring food along again? Maybe aim for more trail-mix, snacky sorts of things, if we're going to be on the move rather than picnicking. (I see you there, smitten kitchen! I have had great success with those recipes. Does she have any good munchables you've made?)

cpthammer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 01:45:14 PM »
I'm sorry I missed the July meetup, but I'd also love to try to arrange one in September.

Maybe in a few weeks we can set up a poll to pick a date.

Should still be good weather, so Rock Creek Park, Dupont Circle, Meridian Hill Park are all good locations.  The atrium of the Portrait Gallery is a great backup option in case of bad weather.

airumair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 11:55:38 AM »
belated thanks to jfer as well and to everyone that brought delicious food items even those that were falling apart, the drum circle was a nice bonus -- looking forward to the next one!

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 08:47:45 AM »
Greetings, I'm new on the MMM forums and new to the lifestyle. I'm way out here on the rural eastern shore. looking at the MMM map, seems there's no one over here! But my aunt lives in DC so I'll keep checking this board and see if there's anything happening! Maybe I'll plan my visit to my aunt around your meetup and bring her too even :)