Author Topic: Colorado Camp Mustache?  (Read 32284 times)

mr1500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 1500 Days
    • 1500 Days to Freedom
Colorado Camp Mustache?
« on: February 22, 2017, 01:04:54 PM »
Why should Washington State have all of the fun with Camp Mustache? Let's host one in Colorado, the home of MMM.

I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a Colorado Camp Mustache and I'd appreciate your feedback.

I'm currently trying to find a venue. The one place I've heard from so far is the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park. The date would be Labor Day 2017. For somewhere between $400 and $500 per person, you'd get 3 nights lodging with all food included. This is a little pricier that the Seattle Camp Mustache, but I'm having a hard time finding a place to host it.

Questions:
  • Is that too much money?
  • Do you have any other suggestions for venues? I'm looking for a venue that could provide food since that is a hassle.

Any other comments, suggestions or hate mail?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Colorado Camp Mustache?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:23:01 PM »
There is a Camp Mustache Canada in October 2017. The cost for that is really low ($235CAD). Prospector is doing most of the organizing - he may have some ideas.

How many campers are you trying to host? The price seems high, but....Estes Park!

fierymillennials

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Fiery Millennials
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
Just a quick google leads me to this place: http://www.highlandscamp.org/guestsandretreats/ratesandreservations.html. Looks like a decent price for what you get. Only thing that bothers me is the have to get it approved alcohol policy.

This place sounds WAY BETTER. It's smaller, but cheaper! And they don't say anything about their alcohol policy. Not to mention organic food options http://www.peacefulmeadow.com/ I vote for this place.

This place looks cheaper but more people to a room (starts at 4 per room and goes up from there). http://www.visitponderosa.com/rates

jordanread

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 02:50:57 PM »
Hmmm. P2F. I didn't realize you were in CO 1500. Awesome stuff.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:45:20 AM »
P2F as well!

olu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Sleep Deprived in Seattle
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »
we have plans on labor day :( but sounds like a great idea, we would be in otherwise, have always wanted to visit CO

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »
Haha, I just put 2 and 2 together.  I'm getting married labor day weekend.  I won't be able to attend camp mustache!  lol

jordanread

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 01:54:38 PM »
He he. I don't necessarily have other plans, but I'm not sure I'm going to go. It's Colorado, so I'd feel weird paying for somewhere to sleep when I could A) Camp, or B) drive back home in a relatively reasonable amount of time. Oooh. That actually gives me an idea.

What about trying to reserve Valley View or something? Hot springs, cabins available for those who want them, ability to pitch a tent for those who don't. Get a catering company to handle the food, and go from there.

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »
What about trying to reserve Valley View or something? Hot springs, cabins available for those who want them, ability to pitch a tent for those who don't. Get a catering company to handle the food, and go from there.

I'm not sure I want to see anyone "pitch a tent" at this place.

"All-ages, clothing-optional nature sanctuary with hot springs, trails, campsites & rustic lodging." - Google

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 12:52:09 PM »
A place with campsites would be great since we could bring our RV. WE can't share a room with anyone as even with my CPAP machine I am a bad snorer so I am sure my roommates would kill me by morning:))

JRA64

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »
P2F

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 01:56:32 PM »
We are planning to be in CO Mayish, so we'd definitely be in if there was a way to camp out in our RV.
For various reasons we could not attend all the other events this year, but CO would be the right spot at the right time.

If there were an option to pay for meals and RV parking, instead of the full package that includes lodging, I'd love to attend this one!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 02:07:54 PM »
We have been interested in some of the other ones but you always have to stay at their lodging. As we have 4 dogs we like to travel in our Rv.  I save asking my son to doggie sit for when we take a vacation like a cruise.  I am sure others would like to camp, RV or stay in cabins.

jordanread

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 05:48:04 PM »
Well played POF. But seriously, pants are such a pain. :)

I know this is 1500's thing, but I may look for something along those lines on Monday.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »
P2F - interested. Would be glad to help organize. YMCA of Rockies is a great family destination. I have been there when others were having gatherings - seems like that place can accommodate large numbers pretty well. May be possible to have some that seek accommodations while others drive in for the day. I think they allow day passes for their facilities. That might allow some to camp or RV (though that would be tight in EP on a three day weekend). -ap

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 01:20:00 AM »
Following!

1500, how much contact have you been in with the original CM Seattle organizers?

I know the guy who organized CM SE (Florida, earlier this year) had a lot from them, and Prospector chatted with at least one of the organizers when he was making CM Canada.

Worth not trying to reinvent the wheel, when they've done this multiple times and have worked out many kinks.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dr Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »
Sounds like a great time! Thanks for working on it 1500.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 06:45:58 PM »
Posting to follow.

DrMoneyTails

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 07:54:12 AM »
Posting to follow! I'm moving to Colorado late June so I won't be there for the first one but would definitely attend any others in subsequent years!

mr1500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 1500 Days
    • 1500 Days to Freedom
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 11:35:57 AM »
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and suggestions. I'm going to get off my ass this weekend and start making calls.

PS: The Physician on Fire has been banned from this event!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 02:36:59 PM »
The first post said Labor Day which is not May. Did you mean Memorial Day?

mr1500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 1500 Days
    • 1500 Days to Freedom
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 02:51:23 PM »
Yep, somehow the conversation changed to May which is far too soon. Labor Day is the absolute earliest.

Alenzia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »
Posting to follow - we'll have an infant on our hands by then, but as long as we aren't sharing a room with someone (or pitching tents right next to others), that shouldn't be too disruptive.

mr1500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 1500 Days
    • 1500 Days to Freedom
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »
Cool! And kids will be welcome! More soon...

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 08:50:32 PM »
My bad, sorry for the May confusion. Wishful thinking on my part, LOL!

Not sure where we'll be in September, probably Wyomingish....but you just never know.
So I'll still keep following.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 02:07:00 AM »
Also let us know when the inaugural Camp1500 is... that sounds awesome, too.  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 04:30:13 AM »
Posting to follow.  Definitely interested in attending!

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »
Oh, Colorado might be easier to bring the fam to, unlike Canada...why do you have to be so far away from TX?

jordanread

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
Oh, Colorado might be easier to bring the fam to, unlike Canada...why do you have to be so far away from TX?

Everything is far away from TX. That state is huge!! :)

OttoMatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2017, 08:48:57 PM »
Interested and local here in Longmont. Could be talked into assisting with organizing if you need it. Thanks, 1500!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 07:53:36 AM »
Interested to see what dates and venue you pick!

As others have said, one of the organizers of the PNW Camp Mustache offered to share their experience here: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/camp-mustache-2016/msg1013638/#msg1013638

peregrine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 08:35:05 AM »
I'm in southeastern CO. Definitely interested. Will attend if price is not too high ($300 is a lot of money for me right now).

Looking forward to seeing this thing develop, and looking forward to meeting fellow Mustachians.

tsukuba

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 08:58:58 PM »
I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a Colorado Camp Mustache and I'd appreciate your feedback.

Hi, This is Peter from our outing in Rocky Mountain NP a few months back.  Thank you indeed for you initiatives.
I think that venue is ideal, I had a meeting there last year.
There is of course interest in reducing price.

Questions:
How many days of lecture or discussion sessions did you intend with the three nights?
Doing this on a three day weekend on Labor Day drives up the price.  Is this necessary; would something more off-season be better?
Did you include a meeting hall in the price?
-and if so, was there some minimum number of rooms assumed for the rates?

Thank you!

mr1500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 1500 Days
    • 1500 Days to Freedom
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »
Hey Peter, how are you doing?

That price includes a meeting area, food and activities. I am going to go up this weekend and check it out. Stay tuned...

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 10:44:38 PM »
P2F. I LOVE that more of these are starting to sprout up (and it'd be nice to meet you, 1500).

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 06:24:24 PM »
If / when you do this in 2018, can you make it convenient timed to go to the Moab meet up before or after? :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 05:46:15 AM »
There is also a YMCA of the Rockies near Winter Park.  It's called Snow Mountain Ranch.  Perhaps it is a little closer to Denver?  Anyway, you might want to check with them, if you haven't already.  I spent a week there last summer (attending a conference).  It is in a beautiful spot.

mr1500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 1500 Days
    • 1500 Days to Freedom
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 08:12:06 PM »
Thank you!

FinancialMinimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Army Veteran & outdoor enthusiast studying Finance
    • Financial Minimalist
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »
This sounds like it would be a great time. P2F!

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
Interested for sure, sub $300 sounds doable.  Also I'm happy to do a lecture about how to shred the most gnar while biking.   

Doggybutt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2017, 06:09:58 PM »
I think Labor Day is still considered peak season in Estes Park, plus the Longs Peak Scottish and Irish Festival is the next weekend, which all means that prices may be a bit higher.  If you look at one of the weekends after the festival you may be able to negotiate a better deal with someplace before they basically close down for the winter.  Of course, that means folks lose the benefit of the long weekend in terms of time off, as well.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 10:38:40 PM »
Hey Mr1500,

This is yolfer from Camp Mustache HQ. arebelspy just let me know about this, and it sounds awesome! TBH, camping was our original idea for Camp Mustache but we couldn't find a spot big enough for 50 folks.

We'd be happy to help out with planning in any way. PM me and we can chat.

Cheers,
yolfer

Anagnorisis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2017, 08:55:54 PM »
My backyard!!  P II F 

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2017, 10:02:24 PM »
I think Labor Day is still considered peak season in Estes Park, plus the Longs Peak Scottish and Irish Festival is the next weekend, which all means that prices may be a bit higher.  If you look at one of the weekends after the festival you may be able to negotiate a better deal with someplace before they basically close down for the winter.  Of course, that means folks lose the benefit of the long weekend in terms of time off, as well.

+1

I think the weekend after labor day should be at least 33% cheaper for most resorts in Colorado. If people are driving from Colorado they shouldn't need a 3 day weekend. Friday night to Sunday day should be plenty of time.

jordanread

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 10:16:24 AM »
Hello Mustachians. The planning for this is about to pick up the pace. I'm going to take a page out of ARS's book, and start off by gauging interest. Dates and costs are still going to be up in the air until we get the venue decided.

So, this is the planning thread for CMCO.

Based on what little actual information you know (which is that this will happen somewhere in Colorado at some time), would you be interested in attending? If you are just posting to keep tabs on our progress, say that.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 10:38:33 AM »
Would I be interested in attending CMCO?

HELL YEAH!!!!!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2017, 10:48:57 AM »
I'm interested. And I'll be bringing DW, SO, SWMBO, spouse.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
Yes we would.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2017, 11:26:44 AM »
Colorado is my second favorite state, usually for skiing. But it is beautiful in other seasons, although I have only been there once non-winter on a work trip in summer. Now that I'm FIREd I should probably have time to see it in more seasons.

So basically I am saying I have an interest in CMCO, but not sure if I can commit. It depends on the dates, cost, and whether I have other stuff going on at that time (too many exciting trips to do and not enough money!).

Any thought on doing this during ski season? I'm already going to be in CO the second week of April so the week before or after that would be ideal. But don't plan it around me since I am maybe 25% committed.

jordanread

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2017, 11:38:40 AM »
Ski season lasts a lot longer in the High Country, so it's not quite as limiting as it would initially sound. That being said, at this stage, we are probably picking dates specifically on availability, weather, and cost. Maybe once we get closer we'll start taking other things into account.