Author Topic: Chicago meetup  (Read 54209 times)

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Chicago meetup
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2015, 12:32:36 PM »
I'm game for something in June, and the Lincoln Park Zoo sounded like a great suggestion.

metastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2015, 02:49:58 PM »
Great! That makes at least four. The suggestion for free fun places is a good one; seems that a weekend day might make the most sense in that case.

Here is a list of free places (please add to it!)
-Lincoln Park Zoo
-Botanical Gardens
-Garfield Park Conservatory
-Chicago Cultural Center
-Maggie Daley Park

Which weekend day works best for folks? I'm partial to the 14th or the 28th. And getting at least eight people to commit probably makes sense, so keep it coming...)

SticktothePlan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2015, 09:37:35 PM »
Given Chicago's unpredictable weather.  I vote for later in June.  June 28th is a Sunday.  Lincoln Park Zoo is fine. 

Other free places =
Oak St Beach
Millennium Park
Grant Park (Buckingham Fountain)
Oz Park
31st St Beach
Montrose Beach
Ohio St Beach/Jane Adams Park
UIC Campus
Lake Shore Park (Near Northwestern)
Mary Bartelme Park
Museum Campus (outside of the field Museum)
Some of the Libraries have indoor meeting rooms for community groups (I think this counts) that can be reserved
South Garden (Art Institute)

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »
I'm out for the 14, but could probably make the 28.

Tanor85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2015, 09:16:09 AM »
Hi,

I will be visiting Chicago from Ottawa from June 14 to June 21. Would like to join a meetup if there is one.

ChardJungle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2015, 10:19:34 PM »
I'm a new Mustachian.  I'll be there, whenever it is except Tuesdays and June 18 - 22.  Cheers!

metastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2015, 07:26:01 PM »
ok...sounds like we are narrowing in on Sunday June 28th at the Lincoln Park Zoo. Looks like we have 6 confirmed. As soon as we get two more I'm comfortable putting it on the calendar.

Anybody else up for it?

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2015, 08:22:05 AM »
I'm in!

moelac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »
Ha I just quit my job at the zoo last week! Not to retire...but for a better job. Weird timing. Anyway, I'm up for meeting wherever. All the dates mentioned work for me.

Just a heads up - @evensteven there are no polar bears there now! The habitat is under construction. But there is a brand new monkey habitat which is pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2015, 08:23:55 AM »
Ha I just quit my job at the zoo last week! Not to retire...but for a better job. Weird timing. Anyway, I'm up for meeting wherever. All the dates mentioned work for me.

Congrats! Great news!

Philbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2015, 08:25:09 AM »
I should be able to make it. Hopefully we have better weather than we did this past weekend.

Just a heads up: June 28th is the date of the pride parade in Lakeview. It shouldn't effect us down at the zoo, but the el & buses might be extra crowded that day, especially in the morning. (parade starts at noon) Could we do mid-afternoon?

@moelac - congrats on the new job!

trinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2015, 01:09:16 PM »
Hey all,
Just saw this thread.
I'd love to meet, but I'll be out of town June 28th. :-(
I can do June 14th or another date in July.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2015, 08:46:20 AM »
Unfortunately, I am now going to be out of town on June 28. I would love to come if it gets rescheduled or the group meets again.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2015, 07:37:17 PM »
I want to meet you all, but this is road trip to CA week. :-) Next time!

coronelka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2015, 12:23:28 PM »
Hi everyone, recently converted Mustachian here! I am definitely interested in meeting up with other Chicago folks and collaborating. I actually made today a meetup.com group around MMM's ideas: http://www.meetup.com/Financial-Freedom-through-Frugal-Living-Chicago/ is the group. Would we like to coordinate a meetup through there? It may be easier to plan on a set date and location there.

If you feel inclined to meet up or check out the page, please join! If not, I will be checking back here regularly to see when a date and location get decided on to meet up. See some of you soon hopefully :)

kaygee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2015, 09:52:17 PM »
Is the June 28th LPZoo meetup still happening? I'm a MMM newbie but would love to go if others still are!

metastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2015, 10:02:53 AM »
Let's do it! Sunday, June 28 at noon at the Lincoln Park Zoo.

How should we recognize each other?

Should we meet at the cafe outside the entrance to the zoo?

Philbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
Hey guys,

Unfortunately I have to bow out for Sunday. In the aftermath of the SCOTUS ruling, I got pulled into some pride activities. Hope to see everyone at future meetups!

roadtripper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2015, 03:21:54 PM »
Sorry I'll have to miss the 6/28 gathering.

I'm a strong possibility for the 7/12 meetup with the Financial Freedom through Frugal Living group on meetup.com.

kaygee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »
Seems like a lot of people have dropped out...Don't know if I'll make it.

Looking forward to meeting you all on the 12th!

metastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »
ok, i'm calling it off since at least three people declined in the past couple of days. if there are others who still wish to meet up, go for it. hope we can get something together soon!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »
Hello Chicago!!

I see lots of journals from the Chicago area.  (Apparently us Mustachians are hard to get together.)  I am going to propose the following meetup date/time because I KNOW I am going to be in downtown Chicago that day and would be able to meet up in this area that evening. Wouldn't it be nice to have a network of mustachians to get together with?  I am in the suburbs, but I know many are concentrated in Chicago proper.

Here is the date and location (unless the bar goes under before May - I'll check again a couple weeks in advance to be sure).

May 17, 2015. Tuesday - 5:30pm-7:30pm. The Option Room - 401 S. La Salle Street, Lobby 3, Chicago IL

I have never been to this bar. (Frankly I don't usually go out to bars since I'm frugal and live in the suburbs.)  However I'd love to meet some mustachians, this bar is close to where I'll be that day and also close to a metro stop.  They have beer on tap and have done Groupons in the past.   It's one night, and from there we could plan affordable picnics or other activities.

Is anyone in?  SAVE THE DATE!! :-)

Even Steven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Even Steven Money
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »
I'm in for a May meetup, sounds great to me.

Philbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2016, 08:27:42 AM »
I'll be there, too!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2016, 10:38:53 AM »
I'm in for a May meetup, sounds great to me.

I'll be there, too!

Yay! Some IL peeps....I am looking forward to this!

mschaus

• Stubble
    • blog
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2016, 10:05:08 AM »
I'm in, too!

You know what's funny? The day before I started my mini-retirement in November was the last day I checked these forums.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2016, 02:17:25 PM »
I'm in, too!

You know what's funny? The day before I started my mini-retirement in November was the last day I checked these forums.

Looking forward to meeting you....looking forward to retirement myself (but in 8 years).  You should check the Life after FIRE forum!

fierymillennials

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Fiery Millennials
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2016, 05:18:29 PM »
Starting this early since I know for sure I will be there. I'm visiting Chicago August 12-14th 2016 and would love to attend a meetup while there. I think I'll be mostly downtown, but could meet basically wherever.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2016, 05:27:56 PM »
Starting this early since I know for sure I will be there. I'm visiting Chicago August 12-14th 2016 and would love to attend a meetup while there. I think I'll be mostly downtown, but could meet basically wherever.
Pick a time and a place - those who can attend will be able to attend.  Those who cant', can't. :-)  That being said, if you had a particular time and place I could add it to the calendar now. :-)

Jenie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2016, 10:50:36 PM »
I am a maybe, at this point its too early.

fierymillennials

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Fiery Millennials
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2016, 09:25:10 AM »
Pick a time and a place - those who can attend will be able to attend.  Those who cant', can't. :-)  That being said, if you had a particular time and place I could add it to the calendar now. :-)

Let's meetup at Brehon Pub at 731 N Wells. Say....... Saturday the 13th at 7p?

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2016, 09:43:21 AM »

Can't wait fierymillenials!

Chicago peeps....We now have TWO Chicago meetup options - Save the dates!! :-)

May 17, 2016. Tuesday - 5:30pm-7:30pm. The Option Room - 401 S. La Salle Street, Lobby 3, Chicago

August 13, 2016. Saturday - 7:00pm-?. Brehon Pub - 731 N Wells Street, Chicago

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2016, 04:54:35 PM »
See you guys there :)

roadtripper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2016, 08:44:30 AM »
I'm in for May.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2016, 01:36:02 PM »
I'm in for May.
I'm in for May.

Yay!  So glad you are adding this to your calendars!

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »
I am in. But I am baffled at the venue, surely there are free outdoor eventts in Chicago during the summer time. For example, we can bring picnic food and meet up on the deck of the botanical garden at Navy Pier.  My first year in Chicago, so call me clueless.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2016, 06:52:37 PM »
I am in. But I am baffled at the venue, surely there are free outdoor eventts in Chicago during the summer time. For example, we can bring picnic food and meet up on the deck of the botanical garden at Navy Pier.  My first year in Chicago, so call me clueless.

Yay! Looking forward to meeting you chesebert! I am not from Chicago proper...and venue is because a) I will be there that day, b) it is close to public transport, c) it is relatively close to where I will be during the day, d) I wanted to throw something out there as we have never gotten a meeting formalized and e) you never know the weather in Chicago 5 months in advance.

I didn't know there was an indoor garden in Navy Pier - maybe we can do that another time! :-)

Dark Helmet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2016, 04:26:35 PM »
Fairly new to the Mustache blog but definitely looking forward to some life hacking, and also looking forward to meeting some local Mustacians.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »
I am in for a meetup.  I am in the NW suburbs.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »
Fairly new to the Mustache blog but definitely looking forward to some life hacking, and also looking forward to meeting some local Mustacians.

Awesome - welcome!

I am in for a meetup.  I am in the NW suburbs.

Yay! We may be taking over the bar at this rate. :-)

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2016, 09:45:17 PM »
I'm up for May!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2016, 07:05:22 AM »
I'm up for May!
Great! We look forward to seeing you!

Even Steven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Even Steven Money
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2016, 09:20:01 AM »
Just added both to my calendar, May i'm there for sure, August I may be in Nicaragua at that time, but I look forward to meeting everyone.  Just to give everyone a heads up on costs for The Option Room is anywhere from $3 PBR to $7 Daisy Cutter/$6 Drafts otherwise.

SirManatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »
My wife and I plan to travel to Chicago around mid-May this year; if we're in town on the 17th we'd love to join!

I'll have a better idea of our schedule in a week or two.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2016, 11:31:46 AM »
My wife and I plan to travel to Chicago around mid-May this year; if we're in town on the 17th we'd love to join!

I'll have a better idea of our schedule in a week or two.
We'd love see you!

Just added both to my calendar, May i'm there for sure, August I may be in Nicaragua at that time, but I look forward to meeting everyone.  Just to give everyone a heads up on costs for The Option Room is anywhere from $3 PBR to $7 Daisy Cutter/$6 Drafts otherwise.
Thanks for the quote on costs.  I've heard they have midweek specials (but I've never been there).

Trip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2016, 11:38:45 AM »
I'm planning on coming to the one in May

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2016, 03:25:17 PM »
I'm planning on coming to the one in May

It sounds like it will be a good crowd!  I'll have to get a "mustache sign" for our area of the bar.

terry3232

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2016, 09:15:48 PM »
Hi all, I would definitely join the May meetup. We should start some sort of formal meet up group and have everyone's email as a list so we can share thoughts, support each other etc.

Let's face it, it's very difficult to be or find a Mustashian. I have a crushingly bad story to share: my family net worth is approaching retireable level, but my spouse is into BMW SUV and other luxuries. With those things, it never ends and will become an ever increasing money drain. I am mulling over divorce but there is so much pain associated with that....

I am happy to start a Chicago Chapter of the meet up if there is enough response. We may do regular meet up, such as once a month or some reasonable schedule. Please let me know your thoughts.

SirManatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2016, 02:37:19 PM »
I am happy to start a Chicago Chapter of the meet up if there is enough response. We may do regular meet up, such as once a month or some reasonable schedule. Please let me know your thoughts.

Hi Terry! I think that's a great idea.

My wife and I no longer live in the Chicago area, but still make trips there every couple months or so to visit family. So we're unavailable for monthly get-togethers, but if we're in town we'd love to join a meetup!

Very sorry to hear about your tough situation. I really hope you can find the support you need here or elsewhere.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:16:15 AM by SirManatee »

Philbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »

Can't wait fierymillenials!

Chicago peeps....We now have TWO Chicago meetup options - Save the dates!! :-)

May 17, 2016. Tuesday - 5:30pm-7:30pm. The Option Room - 401 S. La Salle Street, Lobby 3, Chicago

August 13, 2016. Saturday - 7:00pm-?. Brehon Pub - 731 N Wells Street, Chicago

I will be there for the August meetup, too! Can't wait to see all the new and familiar faces!

Hi Terry! I think that's a great idea. Feel free to add me to the list! My email is cyconmichael@gmail.com

My wife and I no longer live in the Chicago area, but still make trips there every couple months or so to visit family. So we're unavailable for monthly get-togethers, but if we're in town we'd love to join a meetup!

Very sorry to hear about your tough situation. I really hope you can find the support you need here or elsewhere.

You can add me, too. philipsiegelwrites@gmail.com. I'd love to do monthly meetups. I started working from home this January, so I'm all for extra social interaction.