Author Topic: Chicago meetup  (Read 54219 times)

terry3232

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Chicago meetup
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2016, 09:08:26 AM »
Sounds great. I will make efforts to contact folks and collect emails or something. We got to meet and share money saving ideas, investment ideas, and so much more!

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »
Terry - I just sent a PM to you for the email list.  Thanks

terry3232

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2016, 03:39:16 PM »

Hi all,

There is a Meet Up group already in the link below, but it seems that it is not very active since last October. Let's join and make a difference, set up a meeting soon!

http://www.meetup.com/Financial-Freedom-through-Frugal-Living-Chicago/

Terry

coacheichenlaub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Prosperous Teachers - Helping Busy Teachers Get Ahead
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2016, 07:15:08 AM »
Is this going to happen?

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »
I would be up for the May meetup at least.  Just a thought:  Sun doesn't set for until like 8 in May, we should meet outside somewhere, be good for the office donkeys to get some sun and daylight after work, no?   

coacheichenlaub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2016, 12:45:40 PM »
Where is everyone thinking?

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »
Where is everyone thinking?

Take a look a few posts above, there are meetups scheduled for May & August.

coacheichenlaub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2016, 01:34:49 PM »
Thanks! 

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2016, 05:23:46 PM »
I am tentatively in for the May meetup! I'm new to Mustachianism and finding it hard to meet other people who are frugal.

I'll be late though, as I work in Evanston.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2016, 08:14:27 AM »
Is this going to happen?

Yes, we're on for our two dates! (I was out of the country in China for the past week - I will post a pic of my kid's MMM China T shirt which I will bring to the meetup and put up at our May meeting to help people find our group.)

I don't want to change the time/venue for the two currently scheduled events since they've been posted out there for awhile, and I'm actually a suburbs gal - not a city gal.  I think any venue change would be confusing to people who've already put it on their calendars. Please feel free host/add new dates/venues for other meetings.

We've got two scheduled dates/times so far....

May 17, 2016. Tuesday - 5:30pm-7:30pm. The Option Room - 401 S. La Salle Street, Lobby 3, Chicago

August 13, 2016. Saturday - 7:00pm-?. Brehon Pub - 731 N Wells Street, Chicago

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2016, 08:21:20 AM »
Hi all, I would definitely join the May meetup. We should start some sort of formal meet up group and have everyone's email as a list so we can share thoughts, support each other etc.

Let's face it, it's very difficult to be or find a Mustashian. I have a crushingly bad story to share: my family net worth is approaching retireable level, but my spouse is into BMW SUV and other luxuries. With those things, it never ends and will become an ever increasing money drain. I am mulling over divorce but there is so much pain associated with that....

I am happy to start a Chicago Chapter of the meet up if there is enough response. We may do regular meet up, such as once a month or some reasonable schedule. Please let me know your thoughts.

Terry - I got your PM, and am just now reading your actual post.  So sorry for your crushingly bad story - my DH is also not MMM at all, but I love him and if he wants to keep working to support his lifestyle, I'm all for it.  (My retirement number is significantly lower than his.) Divorce can actually be a very expensive option in IL, depending on the length of your marriage....A new formula for spousal support was set in 2014. 

I'll join the Chicago Chapter too! Thanks for finding it, and I look forward to meeting everyone in person.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2016, 08:24:14 AM »
I am tentatively in for the May meetup! I'm new to Mustachianism and finding it hard to meet other people who are frugal.

I'll be late though, as I work in Evanston.

Tris, Looking forward to seeing you - even if it's a little late. This is looking to be a good group of mustachians!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2016, 07:36:18 PM »
Look for this shirt for our May MMM meetup! DS15 wanted it on our recent trip to China and used his own funds to buy it. :-)

ESCH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »
I'm new to MMM, but definitely want to change my lifestyle. I want to come meet up with you guys - anything special I need to do or just follow this thread for dates/times/locations?

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2016, 09:44:56 PM »
I'm new to MMM, but definitely want to change my lifestyle. I want to come meet up with you guys - anything special I need to do or just follow this thread for dates/times/locations?

Welcome! Look for the MMM shirt, and just follow the thread. There is also a meetup group you can join. Both sets have been invited to the May meeting so it should be fun!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2016, 08:34:46 AM »
Boo, I'll be at a conference in CA on the May 15th. Not sure about any August plans yet.

We take the cat to street fairs almost every weekend during festival season--we volunteer for Tree House, but also go for fun when we're not volunteering. So if you go to a fair and see a couple walking a black cat, that's us.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2016, 09:18:27 AM »
Boo, I'll be at a conference in CA on the May 15th. Not sure about any August plans yet.

We take the cat to street fairs almost every weekend during festival season--we volunteer for Tree House, but also go for fun when we're not volunteering. So if you go to a fair and see a couple walking a black cat, that's us.

The meetup date is actual May 17th, but I'm assuming you'll still be in CA on that date. If I see someone walking a black cat (on a leash), I will definitely approach with a mustache signal! :-)

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »

I love this! I usually vend at Glenwood Ave. and am planning to do so again this year, should the organizers ever cough up the application forms. So if you're at that I will keep an eye out for the walking cat. :)

(One of my former cats came from Tree House! And I fostered a kitty for them once; unfortunately he turned out to be Bitey McBiterson so it was not a great experience for us. I hear he did find a forever home after he went to the adoption floor, though.)

Daniel Warmuth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »
My wife and I will join for the May meeting as well. Can't wait to meet some Chicago-MMM folks.

May 17, 2016. Tuesday - 5:30pm-7:30pm. The Option Room - 401 S. La Salle Street, Lobby 3, Chicago

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2016, 06:21:44 PM »
My wife and I will join for the May meeting as well. Can't wait to meet some Chicago-MMM folks.

We are going to be rocking that option room!!!! Can't wait to swap stories and make memories!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2016, 05:12:06 PM »
We are exactly two weeks away from our next meetup!  Looking forward to seeing lots of MMMers there!!!

SirManatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2016, 09:42:52 AM »
My wife and I were able to confirm our trip for that week this month, so we'll definitely be there on the 17th!

Thank you for setting this up!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2016, 03:31:38 PM »
My wife and I were able to confirm our trip for that week this month, so we'll definitely be there on the 17th!

Thank you for setting this up!

Woo hoo...

Here's the orginal RSVP list, although plans can change over time:

YES

ustri
SirManatee +1 - confirmed
couponvan - confirmed
TrisPrior
Luck12
Terry3232
retiringearly
EvenSteven
Philbert
mschaus

MAYBE
ESCH
coacheichenlaub
jenie

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:43:38 AM by couponvan »

MaggieD

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2016, 09:00:30 PM »
I'm another maybe, though I'm guessing I'll arrive closer to 7 than 5:30.  +1 may come as well.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2016, 08:25:49 AM »
I'm another maybe, though I'm guessing I'll arrive closer to 7 than 5:30.  +1 may come as well.

Great MaggieDrsg!  The more the merrier!  Looking forward to seeing everyone at the meetup.  There is another MMM meetup group that will be coming (some of the names overlap with MMM people here).  There are 18 "Yes" RSVPs for that group at this point.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2016, 05:32:14 PM »
I'm in, too! :)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2016, 08:26:32 AM »
Sorry, guys, looks like I'm out. Have fun!

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2016, 10:34:28 AM »
I am still in. Does the restaurant allow you to bring your own food (I get hungry around that time)? I am thinking of just bring a Potbelly or Subway :)

Addition: did I just see they serve a $32 egg appetizer‎ and $24 potato salad?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:41:25 AM by chesebert »

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2016, 03:09:47 PM »
I'm still in - I think you could sneak in food, but I am planning no on nursing a beer and just getting to meet everyone. We'll hit up the Chicago proper people for cheap future meeting locations. I will get roasted if there is a $32 egg appetizer - unless it feeds 15 I will not be ordering that. :-$

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2016, 07:18:38 PM »
WOW-great meet up with all the MMM Chicago folks. We had at least 30 people at one point - amazing turnout and I will post more later. We even had two people from over 6 hours away join our group. Just awesome. Here's the pic of almost everyone. There is a Meetup group I will post a link to later for any that want to sign up on there.

We will plan another one in about a month. It was so much fun!! Thank you to everyone that made it. I look forward to more (frugal) events.

PS- If anyone picked up my tshirt with MMM mustache on it, please PM me - it is my son's from China and will be pretty impossible to replace. :-( I cannot believe I forgot it!!!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2016, 07:31:45 PM »
WOW-great meet up with all the MMM Chicago folks. We had at least 30 people at one point - amazing turnout and I will post more later. We even had two people from over 6 hours away join our group. Just awesome. Here's the pic of almost everyone. There is a Meetup group I will post a link to later for any that want to sign up on there.

We will plan another one in about a month. It was so much fun!! Thank you to everyone that made it. I look forward to more (frugal) events.

PS- If anyone picked up my tshirt with MMM mustache on it, please PM me - it is my son's from China and will be pretty impossible to replace. :-( I cannot believe I forgot it!!!

Thanks for organizing! It was great to see everyone.

PS - the woman very bottom left corner is me, Sibley (also known as Katie) :)

azure975

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2016, 08:08:13 PM »
I'm looking forward to making the next one! I'm in Chicago but could not make tonight's meetup. Glad to hear it went well!

mschaus

• Stubble
    • blog
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2016, 08:52:23 PM »
Hey everyone, it was great to meet so many of you and see so many mustachians all together!

I think I caught the names of most people I spoke to except maybe Matt (???) who used to buy old Mercedes. I'd love to keep in touch with you all!

Will brainstorm some additional locations given the nice upcoming weather, such as the Cultural Center, LP Zoo, or Millennium Park free concerts. And that bar was a pretty ideal space!

Mike (and Liz)

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2016, 09:41:01 PM »
Really great meeting everyone! :)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2016, 05:29:03 AM »

Thanks for organizing! It was great to see everyone.

PS - the woman very bottom left corner is me, Sibley (also known as Katie) :)

NOW I get the cat avatar connection to know who I was seeing IRL.  So nice to meet you in person, and looking forward to future events!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2016, 05:42:07 AM »
Hey everyone, it was great to meet so many of you and see so many mustachians all together!

I think I caught the names of most people I spoke to except maybe Matt (???) who used to buy old Mercedes. I'd love to keep in touch with you all!

Will brainstorm some additional locations given the nice upcoming weather, such as the Cultural Center, LP Zoo, or Millennium Park free concerts. And that bar was a pretty ideal space!

Mike (and Liz)
You are better with names/faces than I am, and it will take a few meetings before all of them connect.  I really had a great time hanging out.  I probably introduced myself several times to each of you! :-) 

That would be awesome if you could brainstorm some locations - how about in the June 20-27 time frame?  Since we have an 8/13 meetup scheduled that could make it about every 6 weeks and not run into 4th of July. Anyone feel free to just name the time/place....Honestly, I think the changing locations/times might have been what stopped the earlier meetups from happening.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2016, 05:44:36 AM »
Really great meeting everyone! :)

I didn't get to meet you until the end of the night, but it was so nice to connect!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2016, 05:48:43 AM »
There is a Meet Up group in the link below. Sign up there and you can add these events to your calendar easily.  Terry is the leader of that group. He's going to add the meetups from this forum onto the meetup calendar.  Last night the meetup.com note had 23 RSVPs yes...and you know a bunch of us showed up.  It's nice to get the reminders of the upcoming event.

http://www.meetup.com/Financial-Freedom-through-Frugal-Living-Chicago/

Otherwise, here's the next currently scheduled event.....

Also ETA - Thanks Terry for finding and saving my son's MMM shirt. Whew.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:02:48 AM by couponvan »

Even Steven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Even Steven Money
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2016, 07:06:07 AM »
Thanks for putting this together CouponVan, it was nice to chat with everyone if only for a little while.  I love the idea of every 6 weeks and couldn't agree more on a free event/location to attend (outside preferred), at the very least a BYOB . 

Sarah (Evansville, IN)  I would love to chat more about the 80% savings rate and compare notes, who am I kidding compare excel spreadsheet;)  I'm at evenstevenmoney@gmail.com

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »
Was a good meetup, only complaint is that it was pretty loud/hard to hear people.  A few of us were saying we should have maybe a potluck/BBQ at the lake for the next one(s).   What's better than being outside on a beautiful day with awesome food, playing vball, frisbee, etc?   

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2016, 11:03:41 AM »
Was a good meetup, only complaint is that it was pretty loud/hard to hear people.  A few of us were saying we should have maybe a potluck/BBQ at the lake for the next one(s).   What's better than being outside on a beautiful day with awesome food, playing vball, frisbee, etc?   

I'd be in favor of an outdoor location (ideally with an indoor back-up option in case of bad weather), and I also don't love bars because they are loud. That being said . . .

Couponvan, in the midst of suggestions for future meet-up improvements, I want to make sure that you know your organizing efforts are much appreciated! I'm sure part of the reason for the great turnout was that you set a date, time, and location early, and stuck to the plan. Further, for a random bar, the Option Room turned out to be as good as it gets. We had a whole room to ourselves! That's pretty amazing. So, thank you!

Daniel Warmuth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2016, 06:44:33 PM »
It was an inspiring blast! Thanks for organizing. I also think every 6 weeks sounds like a healthy interval.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
I think I may have found an event that meets the outdoor/free/mustachian criteria at the 6 week interval.  I probably will not be able to make this date unless I bring my kids, but here is my suggested event for a meetup.

http://www.choosechicago.com/event/Millennium-Park-Summer-Film-Series/22238/

Monday, June 21, 2016 - Meetup at 5-5:30 pmFREE movie - Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

The movie starts at 6:30 pm, and the group could bring potluck picnic items to share, with BYOBeverages.  (I'd suggest a large sign with a mustache on it to identify where the MMMers would be as there will probably be a crowd.) I LOVED this movie when it came out, and it's a Chicago classic.

Yes? No?

MaggieD

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2016, 08:03:19 PM »
couponvan, thank you for organizing!  I came a little later and didn't get a chance to speak with you, but I had a nice time talking to other people and grabbed your shirt before we headed out that Terry is taking care of getting to you.

That movie idea sounds great, and hopefully I'll be able to make it earlier next time.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2016, 08:14:25 AM »
I think the movie is a great idea. (ooooo, Purple Rain in August - I didn't know the movie schedule was out already.)

As long as there's a rain plan. Was it last year or the year before when every single movie night in the park was rained out?

I was on the park's website just now (http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/millennium_park_-frequentlyaskedquestions.html) and it says no booze during free films except in the pavilion, and I assume we'd be on the lawn. Just FYI. (I was looking because I remember going to a concert there once where security made me dump out my water bottle - which contained only water! - while I was being searched.)

mschaus

• Stubble
    • blog
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2016, 11:02:34 AM »
Movie is a great idea; I was about to suggest it after checking my calendar!

@Tris -- unless something has changed since last year (which I suspect would induce a riot), alcohol is allowed on the lawn during the non-ticketed events such as movies. I looked at the FAQ and I think it may have just had imprecise language (I hope!!!).

For a backup location, perhaps the Cultural Center just a block away? It's only open until 7pm on weekdays, so it's not perfect. Or of course Option Room since it's a backup.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »
OK - at least 3 are in for a movie, so sounds like that should be the next planned event. 

Does anyone besides me want to agree to be the "host" for the event? I can't commit to that date at this point.

For a rain backup, there were two people that offered their conference rooms - I will PM them to see if they are available that night and whether one of those locales might work as a backup.

Option Room could be an "option"! ;-)

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »
Hmm, good to know about the booze, I've not been there for an event in a few years. I just remember being really angry that I was being asked to dump out my water - it was a really hot day and I didn't want to have to keep buying it. Fortunately they didn't take the actual bottle so I just refilled in from the water fountains in the underground bathrooms.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »
Glad everything went well! Wish I could have made it. June 21st is out for me as well because that's our anniversary. (I actually suggested going to the movie, but he vetoed.) Hopefully I can make the August one!