Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto 2018-9-21 (CM*TO) - The Mustachians Strike Back  (Read 276528 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Looks like we'll be doing this again in September 2018. If you are interested, please follow this thread and watch for updates.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CM*TO Ticket lottery is complete. Waitlist names are being accepted at cmto.guestmanagement@gmail.com

Dates: Sept 21-23rd 2018

The venue is in the Brantford, Ontario area and will be revealed only to ticket holders.

CAMP MUSTACHE * TORONTO Ticket Lottery open now!!

Tickets for CM*TO will be made available on a lottery system. Once the lottery is open, a six week period will allow prospective attendees to apply for a bunk. From those, attendees will be chosen at random until all bunks are filled. You will be charged for your bunk once it is awarded to you. Our working budget for the 2018 edition of CM*TO is $265 CAD per bunk.

CM*TO FAQ

What is the venue?
For security reasons, the actual venue will only be released to ticket holders.

How Much Will CM*TO Cost?
The Goal is to have tickets be about $265 CAD. Bunks may be resold, however refunds are not available.

How many people are coming?
We have about 60 available bunks

Who Can come?
Whoever gets a ticket

Can I bring outside food?
The venue limits outside foods strictly. All outside food must be in its original packaging and be marked peanut free. No homemade foods are allowed.

Can I bring my Spouse/Kids?
If you buy them a ticket, yes they can come. All adults pay the same rate. Infants (2 and under) are free however they will have to either cosleep or have a pack-n-play to sleep in. No beds are allocated to infants.

What is included?
3 days and 2 nights at CM*TO including meals, a bunk bed, and all presentations. A schwag bag is also being assembled.

Who will be my room mates?
Our venue has 4 beds per room, and guests are welcome to choose their own room mates. Final ticket sales will include a form requesting all roomates be identified. This will then be confirmed before the room is set.

If you have no room mate preference, you will be assigned to a room at random. No random assignee will be put in a coed room.

What are the presentations?
At this point its too early to say for sure. There will be topics of general interest to Mustachians, as well as "Core subject matter" such as financials, careers, and post-RE.

Please feel free to ask any other questions in this thread (I monitor it closely) or via PM.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 08:35:45 PM by Prospector »

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Canada 2018 - The Mustachians Strike Back
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »
A full year to convince the SO might be doable. Just need to make sure it isn't a weekend I'm in NZ.

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 11:13:19 AM »
I'm in- The first one was truly amazing. The second I get the dates, I'm booking off even more time than last- Staying that extra night would have been awesome, and I would definitely stay next time!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
I am in. CMC 2017 was amazing!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 11:21:46 AM »
I'm in and would totally be a presenter again if you want me to.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 11:30:11 AM »
We will be there.

CMC2017 was great, already looking forward to next year! :)

Following!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 11:32:40 AM »
Following! I loved it so much.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 11:39:29 AM »
A full year to convince the SO might be doable. Just need to make sure it isn't a weekend I'm in NZ.

Have me and okits over for tea. We will pretend to be normal for a few minutes to help convince him. Then you can usher us out of the house before we act too weird.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
I am totally in! And amazingly enough, DH said he'd like to come next year too :) :)

CMC2017 was an incredible weekend filled with fabulous people. I had several shy-attacks at the thought of meeting so many strangers but everyone was so warm and welcoming. I loved the energy in the air and all the support. I even got a facepunch one night by the campfire and must say, I was quite delighted. So much to chew on now post-CMC and I've been reflecting on it in my journal. My favourite part was how the entire group would clap when someone announced they were going to FIRE. How cult-like is that lol!

Prospector did an incredible job and I spent all weekend at awe at the level of ninja-planning skills displayed - in both big details and little details. His passion and energy played a massive role in the success of CMC. It was a really, really good mix of formal sessions by presenters and plenty of informal free time where we got to wander from group to group. We rarely felt rushed to move from one activity to another and there was soooo much time for lengthy in-depth conversations with fascinating people. There were no cliques and it was so nice for someone like me (I lurked for a long time and only started getting active in the last year or so and am still figuring out who is who) as I could just wander from group to group meeting different people.

I also really loved how Prospector set us up with a secret CMC forum. It was such a fantastic safe place to post more in-depth Introduction threads (that usually ended up turning into mini-journals lol). It also gave us a spot for pre and post CMC chatter - all of which helps us bond as a group. Oh and of course, a group of grown adults singing wacky camp songs about black socks at the top of their lungs still cracks me up. As for the International Canada vs World VolleyHockeyball Tournament (did I get that right?), all I can say is...Mustachians are good sports!

So excited for CMC2018!

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 11:50:54 AM »
PTF!!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 11:58:31 AM »
I am totally in! And amazingly enough, DH said he'd like to come next year too :) :)

CMC2017 was an incredible weekend filled with fabulous people. I had several shy-attacks at the thought of meeting so many strangers but everyone was so warm and welcoming. I loved the energy in the air and all the support. I even got a facepunch one night by the campfire and must say, I was quite delighted. So much to chew on now post-CMC and I've been reflecting on it in my journal. My favourite part was how the entire group would clap when someone announced they were going to FIRE. How cult-like is that lol!

Prospector did an incredible job and I spent all weekend at awe at the level of ninja-planning skills displayed - in both big details and little details. His passion and energy played a massive role in the success of CMC. It was a really, really good mix of formal sessions by presenters and plenty of informal free time where we got to wander from group to group. We rarely felt rushed to move from one activity to another and there was soooo much time for lengthy in-depth conversations with fascinating people. There were no cliques and it was so nice for someone like me (I lurked for a long time and only started getting active in the last year or so and am still figuring out who is who) as I could just wander from group to group meeting different people.

I also really loved how Prospector set us up with a secret CMC forum. It was such a fantastic safe place to post more in-depth Introduction threads (that usually ended up turning into mini-journals lol). It also gave us a spot for pre and post CMC chatter - all of which helps us bond as a group. Oh and of course, a group of grown adults singing wacky camp songs about black socks at the top of their lungs still cracks me up. As for the International Canada vs World VolleyHockeyball Tournament (did I get that right?), all I can say is...Mustachians are good sports!

So excited for CMC2018!

Thanks Elaine - but it was Joe who set up the hidden forum, and you were the Chair of the Volley-Hockey-Ball association.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 12:00:16 PM »
I am 100% in. I will generously donate my ALC time so you can have a repeat of the best breakout session of camp. :P

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 12:02:45 PM »
I am 100% in. I will generously donate my ALC time so you can have a repeat of the best breakout session of camp. :P

Its so good that you are going to cheer Canuck ExPat into a redo!! Thanks Jenga!!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »

So excited for CMC2018!

Thanks Elaine - but it was Joe who set up the hidden forum, and you were the Chair of the Volley-Hockey-Ball association.

Then a huge thanks goes out to @arebelspy for giving us the super-awesome hidden forum - and for staying on top of giving new registrants access.

As for HockeyVolleyBall, the best part is - the both of us STILL call it a different name every time! I giggle every time I think of the sheer madness that was that tournament.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 12:28:38 PM »
Then a huge thanks goes out to @arebelspy for giving us the super-awesome hidden forum - and for staying on top of giving new registrants access.

You're welcome. :)

As for HockeyVolleyBall, the best part is - the both of us STILL call it a different name every time! I giggle every time I think of the sheer madness that was that tournament.

You two did a great job creating an incredible amount of chaos!  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 12:49:44 PM »
All right. With a years's head-up I should be able to join in, and force the military to let me go.

Who believes that a memo with the reasons: I want to meet random internet stangers will be good enough to pass review?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 12:54:52 PM »

Its so good that you are going to cheer Canuck ExPat into a redo!! Thanks Jenga!!

You keep pushing this and we will lose our real life besties status. Remember how you were nervous about getting along in person? Pretty soon we're not even going to get along online.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 12:57:26 PM »

You keep pushing this and we will lose our real life besties status. Remember how you were nervous about getting along in person? Pretty soon we're not even going to get along online.

Whatever comes between us, we'll always have that moment when our eyes met over a mayonnaise tub and a wooden spoon.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 02:36:28 PM »

I was completely in awe at how you (and the other heroic checker players) were able to concentrate so intensely on the checkers game while multiple random beachballs were flying over your heads. I thought checkers was going to be a simple, fast-paced game that wouldn't require much thinking. Thank you for contributing to making the game that much more hilarious for the spectators.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »

I was completely in awe at how you (and the other heroic checker players) were able to concentrate so intensely on the checkers game while multiple random beachballs were flying over your heads. I thought checkers was going to be a simple, fast-paced game that wouldn't require much thinking. Thank you for contributing to making the game that much more hilarious for the spectators.

The checkers part was great!  Next time you should set up 4 side-by-side checkers matches. Keep the "rotate in" people aspect (maybe after every 3 pieces are taken or something, so it doesn't drag on as the switches cause a new player coming in to sit for a minute and analyze board position), but have multiple going. :D

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 03:51:48 PM »

The checkers part was great!  Next time you should set up 4 side-by-side checkers matches. Keep the "rotate in" people aspect (maybe after every 3 pieces are taken or something, so it doesn't drag on as the switches cause a new player coming in to sit for a minute and analyze board position), but have multiple going. :D

Multi-games - this could add another dimension - I'll have to approach the International Volley-Hockey-Ball association with this idea.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 04:02:04 PM »
PTF. Although it's a long shot. So jealous of everyone that got to go this year!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:12 PM »
I reallyreallyreally hope this ends up being the last weekend of September, as I've just made plans for the previous weekend and would hate to have to decide between the two events.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »

Multi-games - this could add another dimension - I'll have to approach the International Volley-Hockey-Ball association with this idea.
I see I am going to have to keep certain members of the Intl HockeyVolleyball Committee in line or this could get well out of hand. You certainly appeal to his desire for complexity!

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 04:23:31 PM »
I reallyreallyreally hope this ends up being the last weekend of September, as I've just made plans for the previous weekend and would hate to have to decide between the two events.

Agreed.  If we can scoop a date out from under that other group, I'd much prefer the last weekend of Sept.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »
Hmm, all the talk here about this year's has me interested! Posting to follow.

Not clear, do we expect the venue/setup to be the same, or TBD?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 05:14:25 PM »

From what I understand: Same venue, similar setup with tweaks, approximately one month earlier.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 05:43:32 PM »

From what I understand: Same venue, similar setup with tweaks, approximately one month earlier.

100% correct. Second time will be better than the first. Just a few small changes to be made.

Michalit20

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 05:52:56 PM »
I'm in! Hopefully with a +1.
CMC 2017 was amazing.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 06:26:48 PM »
Have we sold out yet? I feel like we've sold out

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 07:53:07 PM »
Prospector has suggested a way and a reason for me to come out this year, so PTF. I vote that those who couldn't come last year get first chance to buy tickets.

I haven't been to Ontario except for Kenora, so this would be great.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 07:59:22 PM »
I vote that those who couldn't come last year get first chance to buy tickets.

I think there might be a few upset forum members at that, and possibly no repeat attendees.

This will be a tough thing for Prospector to balance.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 08:05:19 PM »
I vote that those who couldn't come last year get first chance to buy tickets.

I think there might be a few upset forum members at that, and possibly no repeat attendees.

This will be a tough thing for Prospector to balance.

Ha ha, true.

Well, I'm just one vote. And I don't think we've been asked to vote on anything yet anyhow. However if there WAS a vote, I'm certainly not going to vote against my own interests.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 08:09:37 PM »
However if there WAS a vote, I'm certainly not going to vote against my own interests.

You clearly don't fall in line with ~50% of Americans then.

:D

I'm sure Prosps will figure out a good balance of new attendees and returning campers.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 08:15:02 PM »
posting to follow!

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 08:21:15 PM »
So glad to hear about what a great weekend it was (but not the least bit surprised). I will keep a close eye on the 2018 edition, in great hopes of being able to attend.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 08:30:41 PM »
I vote that 2017 presenters with wildly successful, life-changing breakout sessions by the firepit be allowed first shot at 2018 tickets.

What? I really want CanuckExpat to be able to make it back.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 09:18:06 PM »
Posting to follow.  I had an amazing time this year and would absolutely love to go again next year.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 10:13:09 PM »
Posting to follow.  I had an amazing time this year and would absolutely love to go again next year.

Same here!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 12:25:42 AM »
No witty comments to make, just posting to say that I'm waiting with bated breath to find out which weekend it will turn out to be ... depending, I can either come for most of it, or probably can't come at all.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2017, 04:59:01 AM »
I'm definitely wanting to attend next year.  I will be FIREd by then and hope you all will help me celebrate!  And I will bring more hula hoops!!  :)

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 06:10:01 AM »
IN!!!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 06:19:31 AM »

The bit I know of you from our meetings IRL I think you would enjoy it quite a bit Nate. Feel free to PM or we can meet for a drink sometime if you want to talk more about it :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 06:31:34 AM »
Hey Chief - for you first international travel - were there any quirks you saw in Canada?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 06:40:09 AM »
Things we should have talked more about at CMC2017... AKA - if you submit a good abstract to run a breakout on these topics at CMC 2018, I'll pretty much guarantee a ticket:

- Giving back to your community through charity, volunteerism, and/or activism
- Real Estate buying/selling - capital strategies, buy-hold strategies, etc.
- The quality of life balance in budgeting
- Divergent goals - living with a non-mustachian partner

With so many folks who are a little shy in a crowd, it is surprisingly difficult to get abstracts. Start early and we can build a way better camp for 2018!

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 06:51:35 AM »
Ooooh, I'm in! I may end up on the other side of the country which might throw a wrench in the works, but also with plenty of time to plan around that.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2017, 06:51:58 AM »
I can do real estate, that's what I typically do at CMSeattle (mainly cause they keep making me, but I've also done post-FIRE), but what I really want to do is a semi-ER breakout session.

I'm more and more convinced (one of the many semi-ER options) is the best path for most people, and I think I'd blow a lot of people's minds and literally change their FIRE plans.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 06:57:32 AM »
P2f.  I'm one of the shy ones especially around new people but relax as time progresses.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 07:23:19 AM »

I'm more and more convinced (one of the many semi-ER options) is the best path for most people, and I think I'd blow a lot of people's minds and literally change their FIRE plans.

I would love this. I mean, I would even love to hear your thoughts on it now. It's definitely in the back of my mind, and I'm really interested in it.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »

The bit I know of you from our meetings IRL I think you would enjoy it quite a bit Nate. Feel free to PM or we can meet for a drink sometime if you want to talk more about it :)

Good to hear! I was thinking the same thing, I was going to suggest meeting up sometime for a drink to talk about your experience there more in depth. :-)  I'll be in touch soon.