Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 347895 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #1000 on: March 02, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
If anybody is on the drive path from Louisville to CMC then i can offer a ride, but i will driving up on Thursday and staying somewhere...and I will not be driving back, so you may have to fly home or something...

Its OK Andy, lately a lot of folks are coming up from the States and just not returning.

Ben Hogan

• Stubble
« Reply #1001 on: March 02, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »

Its OK Andy, lately a lot of folks are coming up from the States and just not returning.

That would be awesome! less competition for realestate! :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1002 on: March 02, 2017, 11:35:56 AM »
I'm glad you're coming, CheapskateWife!  :D

So awesome we're gonna fill this with forum folks.  Random Mustachians Pete tweets at is cool, too, but this will be much more familiar/social.  Fun!

I thought Kriegsy was coming?

Someone should confirm this. Who wants to read back through the thread and check?

I thought he was too; has he not booked a ticket?

My #1 policy is that I will not out whether anyone has bought a ticket or not. Some folks would like to keep their attendance quiet for privacy reasons.

Fair enough.

I'll assume his earlier comment I can no longer recall and don't want to dig for but that gave me the impression he was coming was accurate.

I'll FURTHER assume he has an awesome, secret, hilarious presentation that will make it onto the speaker list as "Mystery Presentation."

I am getting SO HYPED for this, btw.

You guys are gonna be so upset when you have to choose between presentations.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1003 on: March 02, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
What is a FOAMIE?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1004 on: March 02, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
Protip: If you carry everything you own with you, no need for a packing list.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1005 on: March 02, 2017, 12:05:54 PM »
So, we will have twin beds. I assume sheets will work? I looked up "foamie", which seems to be a foam mattress pad. Are the mattresses thin? Are there some blankets and/or pillows?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1006 on: March 02, 2017, 12:37:55 PM »
So, we will have twin beds. I assume sheets will work? I looked up "foamie", which seems to be a foam mattress pad. Are the mattresses thin? Are there some blankets and/or pillows?
By the time we get there they may have changed the beds (or at least the mattresses) - especially as they will have their normal campers staying there between now and then. As there will be a lot of questions about what to bring, perhaps there should be a separate "what to bring to CMC" thread rather than using the general meetup thread for this.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1007 on: March 02, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »
After May 1, once everyone has paid, I will be publishing a packing list for all to consume.

Hopefully 5 months is enough time for everyone to pack. If not, I apologize now for the short notice.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1008 on: March 02, 2017, 01:29:12 PM »
What is a FOAMIE?

A foam pad.

You won't need one unless you are particularly germ averse and/or need a special mattress topper.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1009 on: March 02, 2017, 01:40:44 PM »

No bras or underwear listed....hmmmm.

Sorry...

I was being discrete.  ;-)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1010 on: March 02, 2017, 01:42:31 PM »

No bras or underwear listed....hmmmm.

Sorry...

I was being discrete.  ;-)

Good call....

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1011 on: March 02, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
No sorries, sorry.  Maybe because we know what a kid's camp is like and we know what we are getting into?  As in, Roughing it in the Bush was written in Canada, eh?  I have been quietly giggling at most of this.

Re the spa and sauna, dream on.

My packing list:
Warm clothes
More warm clothes
Flannelette pyjamas
Warm slippers
Warm socks.
Fleece blanket for extra night warmth.
Sleeping bag, pillow, maybe a foamie as well.
Shower supplies.
One tshirt, just in case.

Now you're perpetuating all those stereotypes that we live in igloos!

No, there are no -40 Sorel boots on the list, no heavy duty coats plus scarves plus hats plus snowmobile mittens plus balaclavas plus snow pants.  That would be on a January list.  ;-)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1012 on: March 02, 2017, 01:45:43 PM »
Hello everyone. I need your help.

Its about those 2 last bunks.

Can you get on the phone with your mom, your favourite waiter at you favourite restaurant, your great aunt Murmel, the annoying real estate agent who  won't stop tryin gto get you to list your house, whoever you can think of, just call those guys and let them know...

CMC IS SOLD OUT, MUTHA-UCKKKA!!!!!

(Purple font used to soften the message for Jessa's family)

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1013 on: March 02, 2017, 01:50:12 PM »
wow...those last 7 went quick.

now we wait....only 8 more months...sighhhhhhh

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1014 on: March 02, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #1015 on: March 02, 2017, 01:58:42 PM »
I'm so glad we didn't wait any longer...hubs is super excited to be coming too!

He said he'd be happy to speak about mustachian hair care ;-)

Oh, JR said something about getting papers together...I've never crossed the border by road...do I need anything more than my passport to enter Canada?  Do I have to ask permission first?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:18:24 PM by CheapskateWife »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1016 on: March 02, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »
I work best under pressure.

That, and I ran out of nails to bite.

So glad I got off my procrastination and decided to go.

Next item to cross off the procrastination list - actually FIRE ing before CMC 2017.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1017 on: March 02, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »

Oh, JR said something about getting papers together...I've never crossed the border by road...do I need anything more than my passport to enter Canada?  Do I have to ask permission first?

Your passport is all you need. No permission required :)

Technically - you don't need a passport to enter Canada. I believe all Americans need to show is a birth certificate? (That's all Canadians need to show anyway). But you'll need a passport to go back into the US. But maybe some folks just want to stay here permanently.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #1018 on: March 02, 2017, 02:47:15 PM »

Damn, I was hoping at least for some sort of uber polite query at the border...just to be sure to keep the riff raff out.

Or a "permission to come aboard (ma'am, sir)?"

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1019 on: March 02, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »

Next item to cross off the procrastination list - actually FIRE ing before CMC 2017.

Also, you need to prep for the conga line leadership role. The idea I have is that the runners go out first, the hikers second, and the walkers third. It's a straight line path, not a circuit. The fast people will catch up with the slower people on the way back, and then we will all conga line home.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1020 on: March 02, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
Yes JR had some extenuating circumstances which he is trying to navigate.

For most people a passoport is all you need to enter Canada. It used to be just a driver's license. Then they tightened things up after 9-11.

If you are nervous, you can read the CSIB page here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-who.asp

If you meet the list below, you are good to go!

Basic requirements
To visit Canada, you will need to meet some basic requirements, such as:

• have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
  • be in good health,
  • have no criminal or immigration-related convictions,
  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country,
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and
  • have enough money for your stay. (The amount of money you will need can vary. It depends on things such as how long you will stay, and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1021 on: March 02, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »
Actually, if you arrive by plane, AND you are not from USA or Canada (and probably Mexico) you need an eTA (or at least I do - there may be somebody who actually needs a visa). But I suspect I am a minority of 1 (non-North-American). When I visited Canada last year (no eTA required because I came by RV), I only had to convince them that I didn't need a visa in my passport (the rule had only been in for a month). That took a while the first time (I crossed into Canada five times). After that, I got them to stamp my passport, and didn't have any problems.

It's getting into the US that gave me problems. They pinched my capsicums (the third time I went into the US with them). They trampled mud all through the RV (in the middle of a snow storm). They asked me why I had gone to the end of the pier half an hour ago (they must have been bored - I may have been the only person moving in their vicinity in the last two hours). They sent me somewhere for further questioning when I rolled up with a box of tissues and a bad cold...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1022 on: March 02, 2017, 03:25:58 PM »
Dogs aren't allowed in the camp though, so have a plan if you are bringing them.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #1023 on: March 02, 2017, 05:29:50 PM »
And if you're crossing the border with your dog make sure you have updated rabies and other vaccinations and license/tags. And 'Muricans - don't bring yer guns ya whackos ;-). Not allowed to bring across the border.

People with dogs may also have problems bringing unsealed/unlabeled dog food into Canada. Seems like this is not always enforced, but I know people who have gotten stuck.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1024 on: March 02, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »

Also, you need to prep for the conga line leadership role. The idea I have is that the runners go out first, the hikers second, and the walkers third. It's a straight line path, not a circuit. The fast people will catch up with the slower people on the way back, and then we will all conga line home.

Is Canada ready for a real conga line? I need to know what I'm dealing with...pure novices or real hard core adherents?

In other words, are you a Bugs Bunny?
https://youtu.be/8Okoh5HN1mo

Or a Desi Arnaz?
https://youtu.be/W5QrGD0oUgY

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1025 on: March 02, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »
Gosh, that's a tough one.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1026 on: March 02, 2017, 07:00:57 PM »
Gosh, that's a tough one.

Yeah - Desi's actually looks easier....

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1027 on: March 03, 2017, 05:03:45 AM »
I was thinking that Desi's was Jenga's worst nightmare.  So many women competing with her for that one guy.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1028 on: March 03, 2017, 06:25:13 AM »
Playing with the schedule...

We now have 3 additional speakers in the schedule, so I've been shuffling things around a little. It is NOT FIRM! Times and sessions may move around before it is finalized, so don't freak out (yet).

But for your information, we now have 3 speaker per session on Saturday. This makes a us a real conference. We are that special.

Topics for the additional speakers are still being ironed out.

I have pencilled in Day 3 fitness. I have also added other options for the group activity. I'm having a hard time making canoeing happen. I may offer it as an "extra" if folks want to pay for a rental boat. I am having a heart attack at how much rental places want us to pay to take out a canoe for a couple hours. I haven't given up yet though.

Watch the OP for details as they evolve.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:30:26 AM by Prospector »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1029 on: March 03, 2017, 06:37:13 AM »
I'm having a hard time making canoeing happen. I may offer it as an "extra" if folks want to pay for a rental boat. I am having a heart attack at how much rental places want us to pay to take out a canoe for a couple hours. I haven't given up yet though.

It's end of season (anything after Thanksgiving is end of season), you would think they would be happy to see us.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1030 on: March 03, 2017, 06:43:23 AM »
Three sessions!? Aaahh! This is kind of bad news for me - will there be time to get to know people?
I already screwed this up before, so I may be sensitive on this point....

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1031 on: March 03, 2017, 06:45:55 AM »
I'm having a hard time making canoeing happen. I may offer it as an "extra" if folks want to pay for a rental boat. I am having a heart attack at how much rental places want us to pay to take out a canoe for a couple hours. I haven't given up yet though.

It's end of season (anything after Thanksgiving is end of season), you would think they would be happy to see us.

You would think, but so far the best rate I've gotten is one outfit willing to give us last year's rate of $50 a head. That's $100 per boat.

This seems to be a business I should get into. At that rate, for every 3 days a boat was rented out, you could buy a new one.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #1032 on: March 03, 2017, 07:50:11 AM »
I have pencilled in Day 3 fitness. I have also added other options for the group activity. I'm having a hard time making canoeing happen. I may offer it as an "extra" if folks want to pay for a rental boat. I am having a heart attack at how much rental places want us to pay to take out a canoe for a couple hours. I haven't given up yet though.

If we happen to have our own boat we could transport, could we dip it into the water there for informal boating, or would the venue not allow that?

jordanread

« Reply #1033 on: March 03, 2017, 08:27:25 AM »

Damn, I was hoping at least for some sort of uber polite query at the border...just to be sure to keep the riff raff out.

Riff raff here, reporting for duty!!

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #1034 on: March 03, 2017, 08:35:37 AM »

Riff raff here, reporting for duty!!
We are riff raff too, hence my concern.  Since DH retired from the military he has allowed his hair and beard to grow...at this point he appears completely disreputable...just the way I like him.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1035 on: March 03, 2017, 08:39:02 AM »

If we happen to have our own boat we could transport, could we dip it into the water there for informal boating, or would the venue not allow that?

I am planning on bringing 2 boats with this in mind. I don't think the venue will allow it in their pond, but there is a good river nearby.

If enough of us bring boats, we would not need to hire a rental service. OTOH - do you want to drive that far with a canoe strapped to the roof?

Snow???

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1036 on: March 03, 2017, 08:49:38 AM »
You would think, but so far the best rate I've gotten is one outfit willing to give us last year's rate of $50 a head. That's $100 per boat.

This seems to be a business I should get into. At that rate, for every 3 days a boat was rented out, you could buy a new one.

UGH. $50/head is definitely out of this world insane. I'm used to paying about $35-40 for a full day rental. My own local outfitter charges $35 for 6 hours. I have seen some places charge a lot for canoes though. We have traveled near the Grand River and I can never stomach the prices the outfitters there charge.

Thanks for working on this! And if it's a no go, it's a bummer, but we'll still have plenty of fun things to do.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1037 on: March 03, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
Three sessions!? Aaahh! This is kind of bad news for me - will there be time to get to know people?

+1 HOW WILL WE CHOOSE? And a question I had...if anyone speaks at the same time as the rebelspy family, will anyone go listen to them? Seems like that would be kind of a bummer for that speaker...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1038 on: March 03, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »

+1 HOW WILL WE CHOOSE? And a question I had...if anyone speaks at the same time as the rebelspy family, will anyone go listen to them? Seems like that would be kind of a bummer for that speaker...

Let's say you are a Canadian, and the Spies are talking about travel hacking in the USA while an accountant is talking about tax optimization here. You can catch up with other attendees around the campfire to talk about travel hacking, but really I think it would be a no brainer to learn about the Canadian context... am I right?

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1039 on: March 03, 2017, 09:54:04 AM »
Let's say you are a Canadian, and the Spies are talking about travel hacking in the USA while an accountant is talking about tax optimization here. You can catch up with other attendees around the campfire to talk about travel hacking, but really I think it would be a no brainer to learn about the Canadian context... am I right?

Ack - I desperately need to listen to BOTH! Going to be some hard choices ahead...

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1040 on: March 03, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »
Could we possibly arrange to video sessions?  Then, youtube?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1041 on: March 03, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »

Ack - I desperately need to listen to BOTH! Going to be some hard choices ahead...

That's one of the benefits of not being a Canadian...less stress over choices at CMC. That, and the US favored currency exchange rate. 😀

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1042 on: March 03, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »
Hi All I was just about to drop my Check (cheque) in the mail from the US to Canada and realised thay are a "whole different country up there".

So thought I'd better check on how much postage to put on the envelope.

I got about 4 different answers but according to the USPS website it will cost $1:15 for a 1 ounce letter.

The current value of "forever stamps" is 49 cents.

So you will need THREE stamps.. OK got that?

Great..:)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1043 on: March 03, 2017, 12:25:16 PM »
Wow. You gotta do real math to send in these things!!

Confession... I'm still sitting on a cheque from Ottawa from 2 weeks ago. It got here quick, but I've been slow to cash it.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1044 on: March 03, 2017, 12:35:25 PM »
Hi All I was just about to drop my Check (cheque) in the mail from the US to Canada and realised thay are a "whole different country up there".

So thought I'd better check on how much postage to put on the envelope.

I got about 4 different answers but according to the USPS website it will cost $1:15 for a 1 ounce letter.

The current value of "forever stamps" is 49 cents.

So you will need THREE stamps.. OK got that?

Great..:)

Or a universal international stamp....

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1045 on: March 03, 2017, 12:43:26 PM »

Its likely worthwhile to point out that at the border you will get a short set of questions.

We get out our passports/birth certificates/drivers licenses a few miles before the border, and the person in the passenger seat opens all of them to the photo page so the driver can give them to the border dude easily.

When you pull up to the window, the guard will usually ask 2 or three questions, along these lines:

• Where are you going? Who will you be staying with? Where will you be staying?
  • Where are you from?
  • How many are in the car? (they may want to talk to everyone individually)
  • What is the purpose of this trip - Business or pleasure?
  • Do you have any weapons?
  • Do you have any food?
  • How much cash are you carrying?
  • Please open your trunk.
  • Do you have a police record/criminal convictions?

If there are no weird answers and no flags are set off, you drive off merrily on your way. Sometimes something you say will set off the guard, or you will be the lucky candidate for a random secondary inspection. If this is the case, you will be handed a chit and asked to pull into "secondary inspection".

When pull in to secondary, you hand your chit to the friendly border guard who will ask everyone to get out of the car and stand "over there". The guard will then take a look at your documentation and give the car a cursory glance. A sniffer dog may walk around the car. Normally things end there, you hop back in the car and carry on.

If the secondary uncovers something incongruous (you said you were travelling for pleasure, but you have a contract for work in the car... etc.) you will be taken inside for more thorough questioning. This is where shit gets real. It has only happened to me once. Actually, they took my 3 yr old daughter in to question her. As soon as the "policeman" got her behind the counter she started screaming "Daddy don't let them take me away!!!" and that was proof they needed that she was my kid and I was not abducting her. They gave her back and we drove on.

Basically if you let them know you are travelling for pleasure, have all your personal papers nicely together, and are pleasant you should have no issues at all. We've crossed the border literally hundreds of times, and have been pulled aside maybe ten times. Max.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1046 on: March 03, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »
OK, thats gets you in.. Now getting out and you picked up your expired Green Card (like I did once).. Lets just say that is NOT recommended!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1047 on: March 03, 2017, 01:14:53 PM »
Jenga - if you are serious about doing this uberfrugal, there is a Megabus between Toronto and NYC. I don't know what is schedule is like or how safe it is, but it does exist. One of our Aupairs used it and did the trip for under $100 IIRC.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1048 on: March 03, 2017, 01:34:16 PM »
Jenga - if you are serious about doing this uberfrugal, there is a Megabus between Toronto and NYC. I don't know what is schedule is like or how safe it is, but it does exist. One of our Aupairs used it and did the trip for under $100 IIRC.
Mega bus to Montreal has always been successful for me. NYC should be the same

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #1049 on: March 03, 2017, 01:48:15 PM »
So what would be the best way for a frugal couple flying into Detroit to get to CMC?  Rent a car?  Take a bus?  Hitchhike? (we just watched Into the Wild and now hitchhiking seems perfectly reasonable)