Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 348007 times)

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #850 on: February 27, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »
It might be logistically tough with work, but I couldn't resist anymore . . . I just emailed in my request for a spot at CMC 2017!!

Can't wait to see you all there!!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:44:29 PM by FrugalShrew »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #851 on: February 27, 2017, 05:14:47 PM »
God damn. I'm so on the fence about this. ;___; I want to. But also, like FrugalShrew said... LOGISTICS.
UG.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #852 on: February 27, 2017, 05:15:55 PM »
It might be logistically tough with work, but I couldn't resist anymore . . . I just emailed in my request for a spot at CMC 2017!!

And then there were 5...

You came to North beach in Chicago last October - yes?

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #853 on: February 27, 2017, 05:18:14 PM »

And then there were 5...

You came to North beach in Chicago last October - yes?

Hi G-dog! Yep, that was me!

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #854 on: February 27, 2017, 05:24:10 PM »
God damn. I'm so on the fence about this. ;___; I want to. But also, like FrugalShrew said... LOGISTICS.
UG.
A bit out of my way, or I'd pick you up, but I'm going to NYC after...so that also helps none. Do it anyways...find a way!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #855 on: February 27, 2017, 05:25:55 PM »
UG.

I am driving and picking up TheGoblinChief. Are you on that drive path?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #856 on: February 27, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »
UG.

Where is TheGoblinChief? I'm in Wisconsin (Madison).

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #857 on: February 27, 2017, 05:30:06 PM »
UG.

Milwaukee. I am coming from Des Moines. Not sure yet whether I go all the way up to Milwaukee, or he drives down a bit to a meeting spot.

Then we take Elaine up to camp after staying overnight at her place. So, we get across the border, and have a short drive the next morning.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #858 on: February 27, 2017, 05:31:56 PM »
UG.

Milwaukee. I am coming from Des Moines. Not sure yet whether I go all the way up to Milwaukee, or he drives down a bit to a meeting spot.

Then we take Elaine up to camp after staying overnight at her place. So, we get across the border, and have a short drive the next morning.
Damn. That could totally work.
o___o
Would you be down for adding one to your carpool? I want to think on it for a night (hoping my options aren't taken away from me by doing so) before committing. But... damn. This could actually work...

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #859 on: February 27, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »
Yes - let's cross the streams!

I have a RAV4. It has a roof rack that has been used ONCE to move a twin bed.

If needed, I could check on renting a topper. It seats 4 easily, reasonable room in back for luggage, but it depends on what everyone has. It's not a long trip - so not much is needed.

Think about it.

From my end - I could drive to Madison, then we do the next leg. I know a couple of people there and may be able to stay with one of them. If they are amenable, I could even go a day or two earlier and do a proper visit! Madison is supposed to be quite wonderful - I need to be careful and not wear any Iowa Hawkeyes gear (I don't think I have any actually). ;)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #860 on: February 27, 2017, 05:41:16 PM »
FTTTTT....
Damn this is sounding grand.
I'll let you know by tomorrow. :3 Even if it doesn't work out (for whatever reason) definitely ping me if you end up in Madison!!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #861 on: February 27, 2017, 05:42:10 PM »
FTTTTT....
Damn this is sounding grand.
I'll let you know by tomorrow. :3 Even if it doesn't work out (for whatever reason) definitely ping me if you end up in Madison!!

Do it! Sign up! You can be ---- one of us!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #862 on: February 27, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »
One last question (just so I can figure out how many vacation days this would take)
Do you know the vague travel itinerary for days on the road?

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #863 on: February 27, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »
Hi Oro!!! Throwing caution to the wind & signing up feels great, I have to say :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #864 on: February 27, 2017, 05:45:09 PM »
Hi Oro!!! Throwing caution to the wind & signing up feels great, I have to say :)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh sakdjf;sd;fksd

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #865 on: February 27, 2017, 05:45:39 PM »
For gear - everyone should be able to pack in a carryon plus a sleeping bag/pillow. Of course, our family packs a week's worth of gear for a family of four plus paddles and a canoe into a Chev Sonic...

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #866 on: February 27, 2017, 05:49:17 PM »
Madison is supposed to be quite wonderful - I need to be careful and not wear any Iowa Hawkeyes gear (I don't think I have any actually). ;)

Don't worry, G-dog. Badger fans are pretty good-spirited about their rivalries, at least in my experience (which does not include actually attending games, but does include walking around town wearing rival sportswear).

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #867 on: February 27, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »

(But please ignore our friendly peer pressure if this is actually not the right decision for you).

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #868 on: February 27, 2017, 05:57:33 PM »
One last question (just so I can figure out how many vacation days this would take)
Do you know the vague travel itinerary for days on the road?

Tentative plan:
Thursday, October 19 - drive US into Canada
Friday, October 20 - drive to camp, check-in, day 1 activities
Saturday, October 21 - day 2 activities
Sunday, October 22 - day 3 activities, camp ends (tentative plan to stay overnight BUT need to talk with Elaine, staying with Elaine may be an option)
Monday, October 23 - drive home

Drive days = Thursday, Friday, and Monday in this tentative plan.

I would have to check the driving time again, and talk with Elaine - but depending on timing, you might be able to work a partial day on Thursday if vacation days are limiting.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #869 on: February 27, 2017, 06:00:13 PM »
Thanks, G-Dog!
<3
I will sleep on it and let you know (provided there are beds left).

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #870 on: February 27, 2017, 06:02:32 PM »
Madison is supposed to be quite wonderful - I need to be careful and not wear any Iowa Hawkeyes gear (I don't think I have any actually). ;)

Don't worry, G-dog. Badger fans are pretty good-spirited about their rivalries, at least in my experience (which does not include actually attending games, but does include walking around town wearing rival sportswear).

I think there is a particularly nasty rivalry between UI and UW in general - and in football and maybe basketball in particular. Of course, I'm not really confused with the student demographic anymore...

Maybe this has dulled overtime... I haven't attended games either - that spending is NOT aligned with my values....

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #871 on: February 27, 2017, 06:03:51 PM »

(But please ignore our friendly peer pressure if this is actually not the right decision for you).

Well, yeah, that too. But it would be very cool if you can go! 

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #872 on: February 27, 2017, 06:04:11 PM »

I think there is a particularly nasty rivalry between UI and UW in general - and in football and maybe basketball in particular. Of course, I'm not really confused with the student demographic anymore...

Maybe this has dulled overtime... I haven't attended games either - that spending is NOT aligned with my values....

Well, perhaps best to be on the safe side.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #873 on: February 27, 2017, 06:07:01 PM »

Only a possible problem if the game is that weekend. Who knows, maybe I really need a badger's shirt!

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #874 on: February 27, 2017, 06:28:20 PM »
Argh!  I'm taking a week's vacation in September and I have no idea if I'll even be in the same job in the fall, but I want to go!!!

I think I'm kind of fishing for some peer pressure/justifications here.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #875 on: February 27, 2017, 06:29:30 PM »
Argh!  I'm taking a week's vacation in September and I have no idea if I'll even be in the same job in the fall, but I want to go!!!

All the more reason to create more structure in the Fall and register now....

Did that work?

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #876 on: February 27, 2017, 06:44:31 PM »

RamonaQ, only 5 spaces left in the presale!!! Take the leap!! (how is that for peer pressure?)

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #877 on: February 27, 2017, 06:45:43 PM »

Only a possible problem if the game is that weekend. Who knows, maybe I really need a badger's shirt!

If you want to blend in, I think any red shirt should be sufficient. Although try to avoid shopping at Target, or people will seek your assistance.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #878 on: February 27, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »

If you want to blend in, I think any red shirt should be sufficient. Although try to avoid shopping at Target, or people will seek your assistance.

Especially with the khaki pants too!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #879 on: February 27, 2017, 06:57:53 PM »

Especially worth it from Detroit... its only a few hours.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #880 on: February 27, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »
2 more bunks claimed - but one is one of my speaking slots, so 4 bunks remain...

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #881 on: February 27, 2017, 08:37:05 PM »
RamonaQ, in terms of vacation and job changing, on a couple of occasions I've had a vacation of some kind planned already, and been in the process of job hunting.  I've never had a problem with saying to an employer (after I've accepted the offer!), "By the way, I already had this long weekend/week off booked, hope that's not a problem."

Also, a reminder to anyone travelling where there's a luggage/space issue, I was totally serious when I said that we should try to organize a few of us who live close to bring extra sleeping bags/pillows/sheets and blankets.  We'll have to coordinate it ahead of time, of course, to make sure that no one goes without, but I should be able to equip a couple of people myself, and I'm sure that some other folks will be willing to help too.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #882 on: February 28, 2017, 05:34:12 AM »
Minor clock reset... Dan and one of our other presenters are just coming as day-guests... I had them in the spreadsheet count. This opens up 2 bunks. Also, in the leadership section, we still need a fitness leader for Sunday morning (if you want a 25% discount on your stay, sign up for fitness leader and take everyone on a run or lead them in pushups, or something!).

This means we have 7 bunks available right now, and one of them is a cheapy!

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #883 on: February 28, 2017, 06:01:17 AM »
I'm curious...will you be posting an attendee list here?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #884 on: February 28, 2017, 06:05:43 AM »

No Andy I won't. That wouldn't be fair to folks who are concerned with privacy or with broadcasting empty houses online. I leave it to the attendees to decide whether they want to announce their attendance. I do post updates to teh speaker schedule on the first of the month most months though. That's tomorrow.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #885 on: February 28, 2017, 06:09:29 AM »

No Andy I won't. That wouldn't be fair to folks who are concerned with privacy or with broadcasting empty houses online. I leave it to the attendees to decide whether they want to announce their attendance. I do post updates to teh speaker schedule on the first of the month most months though. That's tomorrow.
that is kind of what i assumed...makes perfect sense. thanks for clarifying.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #886 on: February 28, 2017, 06:10:39 AM »
Update to OP - Last speaker's topic filled in, Count reset. Still looking for fitness leader on day 2... When everyone is too hung over/tired to do fitness anyway.

If all 7 remaining spots go to dudes, we'll have a perfect 1:1 male to female ratio. I doubt this will happen.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:14:47 AM by Prospector »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #887 on: February 28, 2017, 06:27:28 AM »
Why don't we just do a hike or a walk Day 2?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #888 on: February 28, 2017, 06:28:47 AM »
Why don't we just do a hike or a walk Day 2?

You volunteering to lead?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #889 on: February 28, 2017, 06:36:41 AM »
Sure. If somebody wakes me up and shoves a map in my hand.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #890 on: February 28, 2017, 06:41:53 AM »
Sure. If somebody wakes me up and shoves a map in my hand.

There is a rail trail literally next door to camp. You could go for miles and miles and miles and miles in a straight line.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #891 on: February 28, 2017, 07:27:16 AM »
Cool. Okay, we will meet at a mutually-agreed-upon hour and divide into two groups: 1) hikers and 2) strollers. The hikers, led by someone like 94, will head out. The strollers, led by me, will drift off after them. The hikers will decide when to turn around, and will gather us up upon their return. Sound like a plan?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #892 on: February 28, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
Also, a reminder to anyone travelling where there's a luggage/space issue, I was totally serious when I said that we should try to organize a few of us who live close to bring extra sleeping bags/pillows/sheets and blankets.  We'll have to coordinate it ahead of time, of course, to make sure that no one goes without, but I should be able to equip a couple of people myself, and I'm sure that some other folks will be willing to help too.

Hi PJ! I would be honored to be equipped by you. I don't own a sleeping bag, and I barely own a pillow.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #893 on: February 28, 2017, 07:40:45 AM »
I think a pillow talk sub topic is the perfect way to ensure everyone has enough supplies

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #894 on: February 28, 2017, 08:54:21 AM »

Hi PJ! I would be honored to be equipped by you. I don't own a sleeping bag, and I barely own a pillow.

No problem, MJ!  I got you covered!

(Yes, I'm starting the bedding puns again!)

I agree EF, closer to the time, we can start an equipment subtopic.  But for now, we'll just remember that I've already committed to MJ :-)

Edited to add:  It's not a worry, really, to advertise that my house will be empty.  Because it won't be.  There are the downstairs tenants, who are pretty aware of my comings and goings.  My brother will be staying here (my "little" but very big brother!)  And I've posted in many places around the forum about my evil dog - who is actually very sweet to people she knows and trusts, but highly territorial and protective when strangers are near.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:56:26 AM by PJ »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #895 on: February 28, 2017, 09:34:21 AM »
As I've said before, I'm well equipped and willing to help others in that department.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #896 on: February 28, 2017, 09:36:39 AM »
Oh yay, thanks PJ!

As I've said before, I'm well equipped and willing to help others in that department.

Ahem. #context

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #897 on: February 28, 2017, 10:44:50 AM »
Oh yay, thanks PJ!

Ahem. #context

But I am willing to share my sleeping bag(s) as needed.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #898 on: February 28, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »
Oh yay, thanks PJ!

Ahem. #context

But I am willing to share my sleeping bag(s) as needed.

Even with context, there is clearly a word that makes sure that you have to look again at the previous comment. Also, is not Day 2 Yoga?

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #899 on: February 28, 2017, 01:45:22 PM »
Tentative plan:
Thursday, October 19 - drive US into Canada
Friday, October 20 - drive to camp, check-in, day 1 activities
Saturday, October 21 - day 2 activities
Sunday, October 22 - day 3 activities, camp ends (tentative plan to stay overnight BUT need to talk with Elaine, staying with Elaine may be an option)
Monday, October 23 - drive home

Drive days = Thursday, Friday, and Monday in this tentative plan.

I would have to check the driving time again, and talk with Elaine - but depending on timing, you might be able to work a partial day on Thursday if vacation days are limiting.

Orvell - you are totally welcome to another spot on my family room floor! I do have twin foam mattresses available (IMO 2 - 2.5 inches of foam are way more comfortable than an air mattress!) as well as an air mattress. Plus you're all welcome to stay with me on Sunday night as well to break up the journey home. You should be aware that I do have a small poodle who likes to act tough by barking loudly at anyone who enters the house for a grand total of 5 seconds - after which he will likely ignore you completely and retreat to his throne on my bed.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!