Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 347944 times)

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #800 on: February 16, 2017, 07:19:33 PM »
Hi Prospector, you might have already addressed this, but I couldn't find it and this thread is yuge. Do we need to bring bedding/sleeping bags, or is everything provided?

You will need to bring the same basics as you would pack for your kid going to summer camp - bedding will be required. A packing list will be made available shortly.

Toilet paper will be supplied. I don't know if its Charmin' Ultra Soft 3-ply.

Closer to the time, we could talk about whether some of the folks from close by (i.e. commuting by car) could bring some extra bedding along, so that those commuting by far (i.e. coming by plane, and hoping to just use a carry-on) don't have to bring theirs. 

You're on your own for the fancy-schmancy toilet paper though!

Great suggestion - I have a feeling pillows and sleeping bags are going to be HOT commodities!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup ... we got you covered, travellers! 

Get it?  Covered?  By the blankets and sleeping bags? 

I'm bad at this, aren't I?

Bah ha ha, I appreciate your sense of humour!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #801 on: February 16, 2017, 08:12:24 PM »
Hi Prospector, you might have already addressed this, but I couldn't find it and this thread is yuge. Do we need to bring bedding/sleeping bags, or is everything provided?

You will need to bring the same basics as you would pack for your kid going to summer camp - bedding will be required. A packing list will be made available shortly.

Closer to the time, we could talk about whether some of the folks from close by (i.e. commuting by car) could bring some extra bedding along, so that those commuting by far (i.e. coming by plane, and hoping to just use a carry-on) don't have to bring theirs. 

Great suggestion - I have a feeling pillows and sleeping bags are going to be HOT commodities!

No, not bad, I didn't give a sheet. Ali was worried about the bedding, I thought the pun was a good way to comforter.

Does this all count as pillow talk?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #802 on: February 16, 2017, 08:47:18 PM »
I'm down with that.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #803 on: February 16, 2017, 09:08:08 PM »

No, not bad, I didn't give a sheet. Ali was worried about the bedding, I thought the pun was a good way to comforter.

Does this all count as pillow talk?

Dang.  I'd try to figure out how to use comforter in the first place, but couldn't make it work.  I didn't have an "her" ('ter) to refer to. 

Well played. 

I will give you a few tick marks on the scoreboard - or should that be notches on the bedpost? 

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #804 on: February 17, 2017, 04:48:44 AM »
How many of you are playing with these Puns?  I count 4 Posters?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #805 on: February 17, 2017, 05:06:58 AM »
Five, now.

I probably won't be able to sleep tonight, thinking of them, it'll just bed bug me too much.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #806 on: February 17, 2017, 05:14:50 AM »
Five, now.

I probably won't be able to sleep tonight, thinking of them, it'll just bed bug me too much.

Awww sheet, I missed one.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #807 on: February 17, 2017, 05:46:04 AM »
I'm looking at my spreadsheet, and right now it appears that I have received full payment from about 11 folks (thanks for the quick payment!!) Elaine has a bunch more that will come to me soon.

Deposits aplenty are received, in transit, or with Elaine. Thanks again!

There are still about 15 bunks available. That could go up to 20 if I release the spots I'm holding for my boys (so far the only kids apart from ARS's daughter) and count in the 2 open slots for a speaker and a morning exercise leader.

What I am saying is... if you are on the fence, about coming, there is a little time to decide. Our intent is to release any remaining spots to MMM's blog and twitter followers in early spring. Based on past experience, that release will fill quickly. Right now the timeline for when we do that is pretty up in the air - I will probably make an announcement a week before to give stragglers a chance to lock into spots before we do it.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #808 on: February 17, 2017, 06:51:58 PM »
I think you need to update the first item in this thread. It still says:

Rules:

Each email addressis limited to 4 spots. No Rebs, you may not buy up the place and scalp tickets afterwards. I know it would help your retirement plans.
    The presale is only to hold a ticket for you. The presale price of $50 CAD  will be applied toward your full ticket price, which will be announced soon.
    A full of sale of remaining spots will follow – likely in the spring sometime. If you miss out on this sale, don’t despair, another 30 spots will be coming.
    This presale will end when 20 bunks have been reserved or on December 1st, whichever comes first.

And I'm sure the bulk of this is not correct.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #809 on: February 17, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »
I think you need to update the first item in this thread. It still says:

Rules:

Each email addressis limited to 4 spots. No Rebs, you may not buy up the place and scalp tickets afterwards. I know it would help your retirement plans.
    The presale is only to hold a ticket for you. The presale price of $50 CAD  will be applied toward your full ticket price, which will be announced soon.
    A full of sale of remaining spots will follow – likely in the spring sometime. If you miss out on this sale, don’t despair, another 30 spots will be coming.
    This presale will end when 20 bunks have been reserved or on December 1st, whichever comes first.

And I'm sure the bulk of this is not correct.

Thanks Deb... I thought I had already updated that.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #810 on: February 17, 2017, 09:37:11 PM »
... which reminds me that I've been meaning to suggest you might want to change your signature line to say "tickets available now" or something like that.  If you want.  Up to you.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #811 on: February 19, 2017, 08:28:27 PM »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #812 on: February 20, 2017, 07:14:37 PM »
Hey prospector: Your buttons are on sale at Amazon!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001685KSM/ref=pe_2331390_227474520_em_1p_0_ti

Thanks Ben - the heads up is appreciated, but I'm thinking the bigger size might be better. I shall cast about searching.

I'm just back from Barnhouse - which is finally showing good progress. A nice little bonus when I was there - Mustache mail!!! Thanks to the forumite from the GOA (Greater Ottawa Area) who mailed in their cheque.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #813 on: February 23, 2017, 10:52:13 PM »
Hey folks... time for a business update.

We are into the low teens as far as available bunks go. The first post says 17 right now. That does not include a few recent bookings. We could be sold out if 6 couples sign up.

The first post also asks for your balance to be paid by May 1.

We need at least 1 more speaker, and there may be room for more. Wanna lead a discussion on side Hustles?  Have experience travel hacking? Have family finances fine Tuned?  Come and Share! 

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #814 on: February 24, 2017, 04:10:45 AM »
Yay! Spots available! I was one of those on-the-fence people but now I wanna come! What do I do to get spots for me and my partner, Prospector?

(after a pillow fight, I persuaded him to come with me!)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:57:53 AM by Dee »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #815 on: February 24, 2017, 05:20:34 AM »
Yay! Spots available! I was one of those on-the-fence people but now I wanna come! What do I do to get spots for me and my partner, Prospector?

See the first post in this thread Dee.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #816 on: February 24, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »
hmmm...just realized this is only an 8 hour drive for me....
I could take the following week driving around the northeast and make it a roadtrip...hmmmmm

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #817 on: February 24, 2017, 10:06:03 AM »
I could take the following week driving around the northeast and make it a roadtrip...hmmmmm

Dooooo ittttttt! Seriously!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #818 on: February 24, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »

Totally do-able!

Actually we'll be driving through Louisville (i think) on our way to Savannah in April! I know we go through Lexington. We are thinking of spending a night there.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: February 24, 2017, 10:13:28 AM »
Louisville -> CMC -> New York City -> the mountains somewhere in VA/WV -> back to Louisville...would probably need at least 7 weekdays off work to pull it off....like the 19th-27th. This will be taken under serious consideration....

If you stop in Louisville then let me know...could always grab a drink or something...
The back roads of Lexington are great...it's horse country and the scenery is very pleasant.

edit: idiotic oversight :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:56:05 AM by andy85 »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #820 on: February 24, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »
You left CMC out of that itinerary!!

Loads of folks travelling from the states to Maine/VT/NH come along the north shore of Lake Ontario. I've heard its faster, has fewer tolls, and in better shape than a lot of the US freeways. From my own experience, I don't think driving here is much different from in the US at all, so I doubt it really makes much of a difference.

If we spend a night in Louisville/Lexington, I'll let you know. It will really depend on how we feel when we get close. its 14 hrs from here to Atlanta, so just one shift each for Momma and I.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #821 on: February 24, 2017, 11:00:23 AM »
hahaha...a bit of an oversight on my part!! fixed that

I'd be crossing over in Detroit...so only about 3 hours from there to CMC. I haven't given much thought to tolls...so apparently i'm not too concerned about it. I'll be doing some research. Currently looking at hotel prices in NY. Seeing if i can afford 4 days of driving during this trip. I will report back with my progress. 

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #822 on: February 24, 2017, 11:11:33 AM »
How important is NYC to your trip? We really liked the long weekend we spent in Letchworth Park. Its about 3 hours east from CMC.

But you have to like hiking and waterfalls and camping in a campground.

http://frosthaus.blogspot.ca/2014/05/a-weekend-at-letchworth-part-1-of-2.html

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #823 on: February 24, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »
How important is NYC to your trip? We really liked the long weekend we spent in Letchworth Park. Its about 3 hours east from CMC.

But you have to like hiking and waterfalls and camping in a campground.

http://frosthaus.blogspot.ca/2014/05/a-weekend-at-letchworth-part-1-of-2.html
It is not important at all really. This is all on a whim right now so I was just kind of looking at a map and spit-balling ideas....and since NYC is only 7.5hrs away from CMC and i've never been, then i figured why not. I do like hiking and waterfalls very much....not sure i will have the ability to camp during this trip. I plan on driving and packing light. I should still have ample travel rewards points for hotels along the way, so that doesn't concern me all too much.

Reggievenne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #824 on: February 24, 2017, 11:51:03 AM »
Just finished reading all these threads and really interested in attending CMC with my wife. Awesome speaker line up! Thanks for organizing this. Can someone share the link to monstermonster's blog or podcast. They are the only one I'm not familiar with.

Thanks,

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #825 on: February 24, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
Come to NYC! I'll be there and there's a big group of locals to meet.

Plus we can roadtrip there together and I can pay you instead of an airline.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #826 on: February 24, 2017, 11:54:38 AM »
MonsterMonster's stuff is all over here: https://www.ohmydollar.com/blog/

You can follow links in the header to see more. Her blog doesn't go deep, but she tours campuses in the USA teaching personal finance and is active on these forums. She has about 10 podcasts out that give a great feel for her presentation style.

Really a fantastic, energetic, and dedicated person.

Reggievenne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #827 on: February 24, 2017, 11:59:06 AM »
MonsterMonster's stuff is all over here: https://www.ohmydollar.com/blog/

You can follow links in the header to see more. Her blog doesn't go deep, but she tours campuses in the USA teaching personal finance and is active on these forums. She has about 10 podcasts out that give a great feel for her presentation style.

Really a fantastic, energetic, and dedicated person.

Awesome! Thanks

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #828 on: February 24, 2017, 12:32:39 PM »

7.5hrs in a car with MJ....what is on your playlist?? Will you make fun of my slight country twang? Are you willing to leave a little early on the 22nd (depends on when CMC actually ends i suppose) so we don't get into NYC in the wee hours of the morning?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #829 on: February 24, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »
They call Letchworth Park the Grand Canyon of the East. I have been there numerous times when I had a good friend live there. They used to have a fancy restaurant with excellent food that you could eat at in your hiking clothes. It has been almost 20 years since I have been there so not sure if it is still there. Truly a beautiful place.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #830 on: February 24, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
7.5 hours. The same distance from Canberra to Melbourne! Everything is so close in that part of the country!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #831 on: February 24, 2017, 01:19:20 PM »

7.5hrs in a car with MJ....what is on your playlist?? Will you make fun of my slight country twang? Are you willing to leave a little early on the 22nd (depends on when CMC actually ends i suppose) so we don't get into NYC in the wee hours of the morning?

Meepsy has been introducing me to both country music and waking up early so we should be fine.

Wait, I lied. I can't leave early on the 22nd.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:21:05 PM by MonkeyJenga »

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #832 on: February 24, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »

Meepsy has been introducing me to both country music and waking up early so we should be fine.

Good deal. I will keep you abreast of my plans.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #833 on: February 24, 2017, 04:45:01 PM »

So simple. Thanks, Prospector.

You know, what actually persuaded my spouse to come along is the fact that you are named after a canoe. He figures this get-together can't be too bad if it's being run by a canoe-loving leader.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #834 on: February 24, 2017, 04:48:24 PM »

So simple. Thanks, Prospector.

You know, what actually persuaded my spouse to come along is the fact that you are named after a canoe. He figures this get-together can't be too bad if it's being run by a canoe-loving leader.

Hah, awesome.  :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #835 on: February 24, 2017, 05:27:43 PM »
I will be (mostly) afk until late Sunday night. I will be pleased as punch if you he camp is sold out when I get back.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #836 on: February 26, 2017, 05:40:40 PM »
6 more seats sold over the weekend!

Getting awful close to selling out!!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #837 on: February 26, 2017, 05:45:21 PM »

Is this "The Seattle Effect"?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #838 on: February 26, 2017, 05:53:18 PM »

Is this "The Seattle Effect"?

It may be Okits. I also think folks are becoming aware of th eurgency to snag a seat before we sell out.

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #839 on: February 26, 2017, 11:00:11 PM »

Getting awful close to selling out!!

Only 8 bunks left.
This is great!!!

I'm confident there will be no need to do anything rash :) like this ...

Our intent is to release any remaining spots to MMM's blog and twitter followers in early spring.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #840 on: February 27, 2017, 05:47:56 AM »

by early, i meant by like noon-ish...

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #841 on: February 27, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
so how do these things work? will i be scorned if i don't attend all 4 breakout sessions...i mean what if i feel like napping instead?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #842 on: February 27, 2017, 10:20:52 AM »
so how do these things work? will i be scorned if i don't attend all 4 breakout sessions...i mean what if i feel like napping instead?

I vote that you nap! Or have coffe or other fine beverage with me, or take a walk. Do what you need.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #843 on: February 27, 2017, 10:23:46 AM »

I vote that you nap! Or have coffe or other fine beverage with me, or take a walk. Do what you need.
sold. i enjoy both coffee and other beverages as well. i think i just talked my sis into meeting me in new york after i leave there...it helps that i offered to pay for our room with my points.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #844 on: February 27, 2017, 10:54:39 AM »
Hey Prospector, you might have posted this somewhere else already, but is there a price to be able to stay over on Sunday night? I remember you saying we could stay, but there wouldn't be breakfast. I just want to confirm there is a bed before I book the flight.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #845 on: February 27, 2017, 11:02:59 AM »
Yes - I will be sending out a form for the extra night (among other things) after the May 1 payments arrive. Anticipate a $35 pillow fee for that night.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #846 on: February 27, 2017, 12:34:15 PM »

sold. i enjoy both coffee and other beverages as well. i think i just talked my sis into meeting me in new york after i leave there...it helps that i offered to pay for our room with my points.

NYC is awesome if you have hotel points. I stayed there last November with my IHG points. Well worth the redemption.

Sounds like you have a great roadtrip in mind! I was down in Lexington and Louisville a couple of years ago on a girls getaway and we had a great time. Loved watching the horses train at Keeneland (especially since it was free) and we also did a distillery tour as we drove from Lexington to Louisville. The country roads were beautiful. My girlfriend kept grumbling that we didn't bring our road bikes - although I have to say, I'm kinda glad we didn't since those pretty rolling hills and rather narrow country roads did not seem like a good combination.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #847 on: February 27, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »

NYC is awesome if you have hotel points. I stayed there last November with my IHG points. Well worth the redemption.

Sounds like you have a great roadtrip in mind! I was down in Lexington and Louisville a couple of years ago on a girls getaway and we had a great time. Loved watching the horses train at Keeneland (especially since it was free) and we also did a distillery tour as we drove from Lexington to Louisville. The country roads were beautiful. My girlfriend kept grumbling that we didn't bring our road bikes - although I have to say, I'm kinda glad we didn't since those pretty rolling hills and rather narrow country roads did not seem like a good combination.
I'll probably be using my chase UR points, but yea...looking forward to it. Keeneland and Lexington are quite pleasant. I lived in Lexington for about a year and half and really enjoyed it for the most part. Those rolling hills can indeed get a little sketchy.

So...i just sent my email off to Prosp...guess i'm committed now.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #848 on: February 27, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »

I'll probably be using my chase UR points, but yea...looking forward to it. Keeneland and Lexington are quite pleasant. I lived in Lexington for about a year and half and really enjoyed it for the most part. Those rolling hills can indeed get a little sketchy.

So...i just sent my email off to Prosp...guess i'm committed now.

YAY! Glad you've decided to come!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #849 on: February 27, 2017, 03:27:56 PM »
Down to 6 spots remaining...