Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 347896 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #500 on: December 03, 2016, 03:34:31 PM »
The ACT (our state/provincial/territory government) has banned plastic shopping bags (for environmental reasons), so you need to bring your own bags whenever you go to the supermarket. Simple tote bags are good, and get used until they develop holes in the bottom. If the sewing comes undone, the sides are resewn, but once the bottom gets holes, the material throughout is suspect.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #501 on: December 03, 2016, 03:58:46 PM »
Well you guys started the OT, so - I love the folding nylon bags, small, light, and capacious.  And sturdy. And washable, dry super fast.

Legg-Stache

« Reply #502 on: December 05, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »
Watching this thread for tickets! My wife and I are interested!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #503 on: December 05, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »
Awesome stuff happiness! Its going to be a great time.

Your screen name just made me thing of the Will Smith movie. I would never admit to crying at a movie. never. Not even one that reminds me so much of single Dad-ing it with my daughter.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #504 on: December 05, 2016, 11:26:55 AM »
... while we're on the subject....
Here's some of the CMC logo ideas that didn't make the cut.

I know I haven't signed up yet, so don't get a vote, but I quite like that squirrel.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #505 on: December 05, 2016, 11:33:28 AM »
I.. I....

It's a beaver guys.  It's got teeth.  And a flat different coloured tail.  And i much more patriotic than furry rats.

On that note, am I the only one who thought the old parks Canada symbol looked like a deformed duck head?  It literally took me years until I realized what it was.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #506 on: December 05, 2016, 11:48:27 AM »
I.. I....

It's a beaver guys.  It's got teeth.  And a flat different coloured tail.  And i much more patriotic than furry rats.

On that note, am I the only one who thought the old parks Canada symbol looked like a deformed duck head?  It literally took me years until I realized what it was.

Do you mean this one? I thought it was a poorly drawn Snoopy.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #507 on: December 05, 2016, 11:53:59 AM »
What is that?!?!? Looks like an upside down fetal position in this American"s view.

Please translate for the non Canadiens,  eh?

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #508 on: December 05, 2016, 12:21:23 PM »
Yep, that's the one.

...it's a beaver.  The little dot is an eye.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #509 on: December 05, 2016, 12:39:44 PM »
Yep, that's the one.

This is cracking me up endlessly.
Just so you know.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #510 on: December 05, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »
Yep, that's the one.

No - its snoopy. The little dot is a nostril.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #511 on: December 05, 2016, 12:58:28 PM »
Yep, that's the one.

No - its snoopy. The little dot is a nostril.

Oh stop, or we'll take your Canadian Card away!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #512 on: December 05, 2016, 01:36:51 PM »
I.. I....

I live in Toronto.  I default to squirrel for most cute rodents.  Did I mention I saw the fabled White Squirrel in Trinity Bellwood this summer?  Tried to find the capybara in High Park, but no luck.

Beavers are mythical creatures for those of us in the city.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: December 05, 2016, 02:14:53 PM »
So tempted to make Canadian rodent jokes, but fear I will be banned from CMC2017 if I do.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #514 on: December 05, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »
Go ahead... the rest of us have.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #515 on: December 05, 2016, 03:25:39 PM »
I went to the Biodome once and was looking for the capybaras in the amazon jungle habitat.  No sign of them. Then one of the rocks moved.  Capybaras are BIG!

Beavers are neat.  I was driving in cottage country once and a poplar tree was crossing the road on its side.  Stopped, got out and looked - there was a beaver under all the foliage, dragging the tree to its pond.

Squirrels - rats with fluffy tails.  Like gulls - rats with wings.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #516 on: December 05, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »
Beavers are neat.  I was driving in cottage country once and a poplar tree was crossing the road on its side.  Stopped, got out and looked - there was a beaver under all the foliage, dragging the tree to its pond.

Squirrels - rats with fluffy tails.  Like gulls - rats with wings.

Similar experience last night. Saw a plastic bag moving in the wind. Quickly. Along with the ground. With purpose. Realized I was inside a subway station, there was no wind, and there was a rat underneath that speedy plastic bag.

Subway rats: rats with stolen goods.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #517 on: December 05, 2016, 04:58:52 PM »
I live in the geographic centre of one of Canada's bigger cities and there is a beaver living less from a block from  me. I have seen foxes around here, and deer live in some industrial wasteland near me. Canada is serious about its wildlife.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #518 on: December 05, 2016, 05:32:04 PM »
There are beavers in Toronto harbour. Every few years a new newspaper story pops up about how bizarre it is that beavers have moved in. The yachties know the beavers never left. They've been there all along.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/07/17/beavers_scout_for_a_home_in_queens_quay_condo_corridor.html

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #519 on: December 05, 2016, 06:01:42 PM »
I read somewhere that Calgary's coyote population is huge.  Raccoons love Toronto's ravines.  I live in the country - Missy had never seen a squirrel until we spent a year in Ottawa. I have to be honest about that country living though, this is farm country and there are few trees on our road, so no squirrels.  I lived in another place in the country where chasing squirrels was my dog's favourite activity (she never caught any, but she sure did try).

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #520 on: December 05, 2016, 06:12:31 PM »
I told my kids when they were tiny that if they ever caught a squirrel I'd cook it for them. They still try, with surprising frequency.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #521 on: December 05, 2016, 06:17:24 PM »
I told my kids when they were tiny that if they ever caught a squirrel I'd cook it for them. They still try, with surprising frequency.

I've had squirrel - it was fine.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #522 on: December 05, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »

Did you catch it yourself?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #523 on: December 05, 2016, 06:50:06 PM »

Did you catch it yourself?

Nope, I've never been fast enough or clever enough. An adult cousin got them hunting. I was about 10-11 years old and having dinner at an aunt's house. The meat was very dark, darker than roast beef.  I imagine she cooked it (braised) for a long time. Not tough, not gamey, fairly nondescript as I remember.

jordanread

« Reply #524 on: December 05, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »
So if we may be able to have a meatball party, how many meatballs will squirrel be included in?

stashyMel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #525 on: December 05, 2016, 07:51:23 PM »
I want to go. I can drive there. They've let me in before. They will probably let me across the border again. Plus I know how to look at the kPH part of my cluster.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #526 on: December 05, 2016, 08:28:24 PM »
I want to go. I can drive there. They've let me in before. They will probably let me across the border again. Plus I know how to look at the kPH part of my cluster.

I am so happy you speak metric. I was afraid I'd have to translate for EVERYONE.

Watch for the February seat release!

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #527 on: December 05, 2016, 11:19:59 PM »
Animal stories:

My uncle has a farm on which the back of one pasture has a small stream.  This stream regularly gets dammed by a family of beavers each spring, and every spring he goes out and pulls it apart before it causes too much damage.  One year he was pulling it apart, but had to head back to the house and left his shovel.  Upon his return he couldn’t find it anywhere until he looked closer at the dam and realized it had been incorporated while he has away.  Dynamite may or may not have been used in the end that year.

I was living behind a pizza place.  I woke up one morning to see a squirrel trying to climb a fence with most of an entire stale, stiff slice held up in front of it.  It did ok as long as it went horizontally, but watching it try to climb up a tree trunk without a) losing the pizza or b) falling backwards or c) mashing the pizza into the tree, was entirely ridiculous.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #528 on: December 06, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »
This is why I love Canada.

The other threads are all about serious stuff like Trump, and gun purchases, and racism, and such. While here on the Canadian thread, the major topics of discussion are urban wildlife and the metric system.

Sad that I won't be able to make it to CMC2017, but I am definitely enjoying the banter. All of you are hilarious!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #529 on: December 06, 2016, 07:31:20 AM »

The other threads are all about serious stuff like Trump, and gun purchases, and racism, and such. While here on the Canadian thread, the major topics of discussion are urban wildlife and the metric system.

Sad that I won't be able to make it to CMC2017, but I am definitely enjoying the banter. All of you are hilarious!

We know what matters, eh?  When you live in a country where Mother Nature hates you would happily kill you likes to challenge your survival skills 6 months of the year, you know your priorities.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #530 on: December 06, 2016, 07:32:54 AM »

We know what matters, eh?  When you live in a country where Mother Nature hates you would happily kill you likes to challenge your survival skills 6 months of the year, you know your priorities.

Priorities:

1. Beer.
2. Cheeseburgers.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #531 on: December 06, 2016, 08:37:08 AM »
The Canadian version of bread and circuses?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #532 on: December 06, 2016, 08:50:40 AM »

Priorities:

1. Beer.
2. Cheeseburgers.

1.  Warm clothes (including hats, mitts, boots, scarves, etc.)
2.  Cheeseburgers and other nourishing food

No beer until back inside, it dilates surface blood vessels and you lose body heat faster -> hypothermia.  And then a hot rum toddy is better.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #533 on: December 06, 2016, 03:11:47 PM »
The Canadian version of bread and circuses?

The Canadian version of bread and circuses is beer and popcorn. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beer+and+popcorn&amp=true&defid=1561080
(Nothing dirty- a political gaffe a few years back)

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #534 on: December 07, 2016, 11:15:39 AM »
I can't believe I JUST found this thread - where on earth have I been all these months?!! Camp Mustache in my own backyard - sounds absolutely awesome! By the way, you all are hilarious - I started the thread and couldn't stop until I made it through the whole thing - urban wildlife, metric system and all.

Prospector: I have both Cdn AND US paypal accounts AND bank accounts. If you think it will help, I would be happy to help receive checks/Paypal in USD and make the equivalent transfer to you in Cdn (Paypal or email money transfer is fine with me). That might make it easier for our American friends?

I'd also be happy to offer a carpool/bed if anyone is going through Windsor to get the CMC (so thrilled its only 3 hours from me!). And if you need any help before/during/after the event, do let me know. I happen to love event planning :)

I suppose before I do all this, my next step is to sign up. It's only a day off from work and if I book it in now, I won't be able to use it up on other trips :) My poor husband - I haven't even talked to him yet about this. I am thinking he will come. He does like personal finance, but I am not sure he is going to be into talking to a whole bunch of internet strangers about it. Then again, it's not like we've ever had the opportunity for anything like this. I don't know about my 2 teen kids - not sure there is much for them to do. Unless perhaps they can offer babysitting services? Maybe I should get them to put together a mini-mustache camp for the kids while they are there!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #535 on: December 07, 2016, 11:32:31 AM »
ELAINE!! You may be the hero we need...

Although this begins to feel like a money laundering ring. I'll PM you soon. The next block of tickets is supposed to open up in February. I am hoping to have our cash movement sorted out by then. In any case, I'll message you and see what we can make happen.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #536 on: December 07, 2016, 11:58:59 AM »
ELAINE!! You may be the hero we need...

Do I get a cape? Someone posted about a superhero cape they made for nephews/nieces on the Homemade Christmas thread that looked intriguing.

Although this begins to feel like a money laundering ring. I'll PM you soon.

After spending the last few years playing the CC churning game and manufacturing spend, this will be peanuts!

No sense in folks paying extra fees if we can help it - all the online systems you talked about all charge a fair bit in fees. I can always use USD so it's no big deal if I act as the no-fee middle man to exchange money.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:02:11 PM by elaine amj »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #537 on: December 07, 2016, 12:50:14 PM »
Yesssss I don't own stamps or checks so I was seriously putting off mailing a check. Can I participate in Elaine's money laundering ring? Pretty please?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #538 on: December 07, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
Yesssss I don't own stamps or checks so I was seriously putting off mailing a check. Can I participate in Elaine's money laundering ring? Pretty please?

Me, too?

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #539 on: December 07, 2016, 01:52:04 PM »
LOL - yes and YES!

What we have to figure out is what is a fair US exchange rate. My office uses the average monthly rate for the prior month to reimburse me. Does that sound fair to everyone? So for folks making payments in December, that would be USD37.20 (based on the Bank of Canada's avg exchange rate for Nov 2016). I can update the number next month. Unless someone has a suggestion for an alternate way of handling this - I'm open to suggestions for managing an efficient money laundering ring :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #540 on: December 07, 2016, 04:17:42 PM »
LOL - yes and YES!

What we have to figure out is what is a fair US exchange rate. My office uses the average monthly rate for the prior month to reimburse me. Does that sound fair to everyone? So for folks making payments in December, that would be USD37.20 (based on the Bank of Canada's avg exchange rate for Nov 2016). I can update the number next month. Unless someone has a suggestion for an alternate way of handling this - I'm open to suggestions for managing an efficient money laundering ring :)

PayPal can send money in any denomination.

We send you $50 CAD, they transfer it from our bank/CC at whatever the rate of the day is.  We select that we pay the fees (so you actually receive the full 50 CAD).  You cash it out and write prospector a combined check for all us, for free. (Or transfer bank to bank, if that's free).

Basically we could transfer directly to Prospector, but he can't get a paypal account for reasons I forget.  Oh, also his bank charges him to transfer money from paypal into his account?  If you can transfer from your paypal to your bank free, then to him free, that solves it.

You don't need to worry about taking money in USD or anything like that, that adds an extra complication.

Summary: We just need someone who can receive the money. Have everyone send it in CAD, with sender paying the fees.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #541 on: December 07, 2016, 07:06:33 PM »
Well, I have both a US AND a Cdn Paypal account - so was hoping to save Mustachians any fees. Everything can be done via personal transfers on Paypal, which is free. I can then turn around and use my Tangerine account to transfer the money to Prospector, also for free.

Alternatively, MMM'ers can send it directly to my Cdn Paypal and select to pay whatever fees they charge to do the exchange. Either way is fine with me. Folks can choose whatever works best for them.

I just have a bit of a mental block about paying fees if it can be avoided lol!

I'm good with anything - happy to help in whatever way :) So thrilled to have a Camp Mustache so close to home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:13:13 PM by elaine amj »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #542 on: December 07, 2016, 07:17:07 PM »
Someone's gotta convert the money.  Better the sender paying the fees than you paying the fees on that for everyone, IMO.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #543 on: December 07, 2016, 07:31:21 PM »
I can do e-transfer to a U.S. bank!

Elaine - I think you should get a cape? What should it look like?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #544 on: December 07, 2016, 07:44:41 PM »
I have a green crushed velvet cape lined with satin that Elaine can have. If she sends me the logo she wants on it, I could put that on the back as well.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #545 on: December 07, 2016, 07:51:07 PM »
I have a green crushed velvet cape lined with satin that Elaine can have. If she sends me the logo she wants on it, I could put that on the back as well.

That sounds very cool!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #546 on: December 07, 2016, 09:28:20 PM »
Be careful - I might just take u up on that and wear the cape all weekend!!

ARS - I always have use for US$ so will just leave it in US and pay Prospector out of my own Canadian $ stash. So no worries. Just a few extra steps for me but I don't mind if it saves folks on extra fees.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #547 on: December 07, 2016, 09:32:06 PM »
I can do e-transfer to a U.S. bank!

In the US, we bank with Chase so that works for me. Or a personal Paypal transfer. Whatever is easiest for u :)

I'll be sending the Cdn equivalent to Prospector with my Cdn Tangerine account since they offer free email transfers.

There are some advantages to dealing with the complication of bank accounts and finances in 2 countries!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #548 on: December 07, 2016, 11:44:06 PM »
Be careful - I might just take u up on that and wear the cape all weekend!!
/quote]You can have it to keep.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #549 on: December 08, 2016, 03:25:51 PM »
I keep getting lost in this thread, it moves so fast! Are the February tickets Feb 1? Or Feb TBD?