Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 347943 times)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #400 on: November 27, 2016, 07:00:29 AM »
Food? Gardening? I do those. -- what do you want to know?

Retired@63 - don't you do a lot of gardening?

Yes but after seeing Backyardfeast's gardens I think I am a novice.  My gardening claim to fame is giving a talk on how to divide and replant peonies and daylilies at an international plowing match.  I had 2 men show up 20 minutes early to be sure they could get seats at the front.  ;-)   And Ed Lawrence told me I could cope with slowly pruning a tree back into shape (4 years later it needs one more year and it will be fine) because I am a patient enough gardener because I have raised peonies from seed.  ;-)  They are gorgeous, btw, and I could bring seeds.  We could do a seminar type thing, short presentation and then long question period/discussion time.  Or talk about organic gardening on the cheap, or beneficials, or starting things from seed (and especially, why bother).  Or all of the above.

Composting
Use all your growing seasons (spring, summer, fall plantings)
Gardening ROI - best crops
Preserving the harvest (food and gardening)

I am basically a novice too.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #401 on: November 27, 2016, 08:24:42 AM »
Composting

Composting - part of organic gardening, cheap gardening, basic gardening - definitely a worthwhile topic
ROI - so individual, but yes. And of course the really basic rule - if you don't like it, don't plant it!  Although some things are totally 1000x better from the garden so "don't like" may be "don't like from the store".
Preserving - my weak spot.  I mostly eat it as it comes.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #402 on: November 27, 2016, 09:54:03 PM »
Food? Gardening? I do those. -- what do you want to know?

Retired@63 - don't you do a lot of gardening?

Yes but after seeing Backyardfeast's gardens I think I am a novice.  My gardening claim to fame is giving a talk on how to divide and replant peonies and daylilies at an international plowing match.  I had 2 men show up 20 minutes early to be sure they could get seats at the front.  ;-)   And Ed Lawrence told me I could cope with slowly pruning a tree back into shape (4 years later it needs one more year and it will be fine) because I am a patient enough gardener because I have raised peonies from seed.  ;-)  They are gorgeous, btw, and I could bring seeds.  We could do a seminar type thing, short presentation and then long question period/discussion time.  Or talk about organic gardening on the cheap, or beneficials, or starting things from seed (and especially, why bother).  Or all of the above.

Composting

Everyone is a novice gardener. Nature has been working at it for a bajillion years, and she's still perfecting it.

I recall a great gardener quoting Emerson?? I think...

"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Really, that is the best advice you can give anyone with dirty hands and a packet of seeds.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #403 on: November 28, 2016, 05:35:55 AM »
I want pbkmaine to do mustachian decorating please.  Although by the time Camp Mustache rolls around I hope to have sold my house (so my house staging decorating will be on her journal).

Do you want G-dog and me to do a gardening thing?  Officially as opposed to yakking at the dinner table.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #404 on: November 28, 2016, 06:15:07 AM »
I want pbkmaine to do mustachian decorating please.  Although by the time Camp Mustache rolls around I hope to have sold my house (so my house staging decorating will be on her journal).

Do you want G-dog and me to do a gardening thing?  Officially as opposed to yakking at the dinner table.

Already had a gardener/homesteading discussion moderator step up. You gotta be quick!!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #405 on: November 28, 2016, 06:42:06 AM »
We will see how the next few months shape up for us financially but I think I'm out. Just don't think I'll be in a position to spend the money, but who knows.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #406 on: November 28, 2016, 07:05:49 AM »
We will see how the next few months shape up for us financially but I think I'm out. Just don't think I'll be in a position to spend the money, but who knows.

Bummer.  =/

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #407 on: November 28, 2016, 07:13:40 AM »

I will drive up - Madison area would be generally on the way .....  Just a thought that take a plane ticket out of the equation.

Driving is 13 hr direct route, I'll check a Madison route. I have friends in Madison I could probably stay with, so I'll check the time from Madison.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #408 on: November 28, 2016, 07:28:06 AM »

Already had a gardener/homesteading discussion moderator step up. You gotta be quick!!

Great - although if I am in a townhouse by then my gardening interests may be on a much smaller scale.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #409 on: November 28, 2016, 07:28:25 AM »

Bummer.  =/

+1

I was really hoping you would make it out.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #410 on: November 28, 2016, 08:22:52 AM »

I will drive up - Madison area would be generally on the way .....  Just a thought that take a plane ticket out of the equation.

Driving is 13 hr direct route, I'll check a Madison route. I have friends in Madison I could probably stay with, so I'll check the time from Madison.

I'm in Milwaukee, which makes Chicago impossible to avoid driving, whereas I'm assuming you could mostly avoid it from Iowa. But PM me if it's something you'd consider doing when you look at it and then we could talk again when more tickets are being sold and I decide I can actually come.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #411 on: November 28, 2016, 08:39:54 AM »

I'm in Milwaukee, which makes Chicago impossible to avoid driving, whereas I'm assuming you could mostly avoid it from Iowa. But PM me if it's something you'd consider doing when you look at it and then we could talk again when more tickets are being sold and I decide I can actually come.

That may be better! Sorry about the wrong M-city in WI. Actually, that's probably better as I am approximately due east of Chicago! I can do a 13 hr drive on my own, but shorter is nicer. I'll PM.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #412 on: November 28, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »

Is this the person I suggested?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #413 on: November 28, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »

Is this the person I suggested?

Alas, it is not.

But you know what??? Its almost December 1th. That means I need to start doing speaker bios. First of the month every month, I'll introduce another speaker from our lineup. Some names will be familiar, some will not.

Also, my spreadsheet is up to 4 tabs all interconnected nicely and without any #ref or circular references. Yay!! But I do have a bunch of #NA errors in spots waiting to be filled. That will take care of itself with time.

On the speaking schedule there are two sad little spots waiting to be filled. Really though, the schedule is flexible enough that I can either erase them, or add more spots if needed. its all good!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #414 on: November 28, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »
Okay, after talking with G-Dog about carpooling looks like I am in.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #415 on: November 28, 2016, 03:58:35 PM »

BOOYAH!

Flyover zone representing y'all!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #416 on: November 28, 2016, 04:38:03 PM »

On the speaking schedule there are two sad little spots waiting to be filled. Really though, the schedule is flexible enough that I can either erase them, or add more spots if needed. its all good!

I'd leave them flex.  Don't fill all so early, or you'll regret it when badass people sign up in a few months and you filled with lame-os just to get it filled now because of your excitement. 

Yay!  Looking forward to hanging out with you!

Thanks G-Dog! :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #417 on: November 28, 2016, 05:28:40 PM »
Good idea, but so far no Lame-os. Only awsum mustachios.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #418 on: November 28, 2016, 05:30:34 PM »
What about a "speed mustaching" session to help meet more people?

jordanread

« Reply #419 on: November 28, 2016, 07:30:51 PM »
ARS badgered me enough. I spoke with MXT, and I do believe we will be grabbing tickets in February.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #420 on: November 28, 2016, 07:34:59 PM »

This would be an awesome icebreaker activity!! I have no idea how it would run.

Also we need to find a way to incorporate cards against humanity into it.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #421 on: November 28, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »
ARS badgered me enough. I spoke with MXT, and I do believe we will be grabbing tickets in February.

This just keeps getting better! Will you have a passport/border papers squared away in time?

jordanread

« Reply #422 on: November 28, 2016, 07:38:01 PM »

This just keeps getting better! Will you have a passport/border papers squared away in time?

Passport is already in hand, border papers will be started in December, so I should know for sure by the time February rolls around.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #423 on: November 28, 2016, 07:38:35 PM »

This would be an awesome icebreaker activity!! I have no idea how it would run.

Also we need to find a way to incorporate cards against humanity into it.

Pick a card that describes your stash? (55 gal drum of lube. Sorry only card I can remember now besides MechanaHiltler).

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #424 on: November 28, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »

Passport is already in hand, border papers will be started in December, so I should know for sure by the time February rolls around.

Perfect!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #425 on: November 28, 2016, 07:39:32 PM »
Border papers? Do I need border papers?

jordanread

« Reply #426 on: November 28, 2016, 07:42:13 PM »

Perfect!

Freaking ARS texted me. He was like "Guess who's coming? MJ, TGC, and Prospector are all going to be there. That's like half the forum members you have a crush on." So I decided to read through the thread, talk with MXT, and move on from there.

Border papers? Do I need border papers?

No, I just happen to have a specific situation (that you already know about) that requires a bit of extra paperwork for me to get into Canada.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #427 on: November 28, 2016, 07:57:34 PM »
You have a man crush on me bro??? Dude, I would chest bump you if we were in the same room. Totally honoured to be on the dudebro list.

jordanread

« Reply #428 on: November 28, 2016, 08:03:02 PM »
Well, at least now there won't be that awkward 'Do I shake his hand? High Five? Casual nod?' Chest bump. Perfect.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #429 on: November 28, 2016, 08:07:44 PM »
So glad I will be there to see the chest bump!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #430 on: November 28, 2016, 08:40:22 PM »
You know what's gonna happen? I'm gonna forget all about this comment, and then in October, JR is gonna come running up and knock me over and as I'm sprawled on the ground I will recall <Chest bump Jordan>  I may have to get this screen printed on the T-shirts so I don't forget.

Also, I'm bringing Saboteur for the card game sessions. I will declare everyone to be the saboteur. It will be fun. I will be wrong.

I've already had an ask about my place for temporary lodging and I am happy to oblidge. I think we can fit all of you into the meat freezer spare bedroom. BUT... as LFG kindly pointed out, I live about 2 hours east of the venue. If you are driving and your drive involves crossing the border at Niagara Falls or Detroit, you will have to drive through Toronto to reach my house, sleep for the night, then arise and drive through Toronto traffic to get to camp.

While I make my living off traffic and think it is wondrous, you may not. This decision should weigh heavily upon you.

Other things you should know about driving in Ontario...

• The speed limit here is 100 km/h on freeways. km/h is not killer miles per hour. it is kilometres per hour. It is about 60 MPH. Cops love American tourists who don't know how to switch over their cars to metric.
  • About one person per day dies on our roads. That's actually a pretty good number taken as deaths per million vehicle miles travelled. You should feel safe on our roads.
  • Our fuel is priced per litre. Right now it is at a very low price - only $0.95 per litre. Multiply that by four to get an approximate price per gallon ($4.00 per gal) Multiply that by 0.7 to convert to USD ($3.22 per Gal USD) or find an app or online calculator to do it for you.
  • Our vehicle fleet (the cars on the road) is far more mixed than the US fleet. We have fewer trucks and SUV's and more minivans and sedans. We still drive larger cars than the Europeans do, but we haven't bought into the truck culture as much.
  • Signs and rules of the road are exactly what you have down there. But our sign code is tighter - there are fewer "custom" signs and messaging tends to be more direct. Also the fonts and reflectivity are different. You may not notice this, but I do. But the rules and messages are the same - only in metric. For instance Exit in 100m means to exit in 100 meters, not miles.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #431 on: November 28, 2016, 08:56:45 PM »
I only just found this thread. I travel to Ontario about once per year and it seems like it's usually in the range of October, November and December. It's a bit early for me to be able to commit, but if spots are still available a little closer to the event and I can make it, I would really like to be there.

jordanread

« Reply #432 on: November 28, 2016, 09:17:48 PM »
You know what's gonna happen? I'm gonna forget all about this comment, and then in October, JR is gonna come running up and knock me over and as I'm sprawled on the ground I will recall <Chest bump Jordan>  I may have to get this screen printed on the T-shirts so I don't forget.

That would be pretty amazing.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #433 on: November 29, 2016, 05:02:07 AM »
Jordan, pretty sure your attendance requires biking in. Hope you have lots of vacation time :P

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #434 on: November 29, 2016, 07:20:14 AM »
If you have preregistered for CMC, please PM me your forum username for secret reason that will become obvious.

I do not need any other personal info (name, email, etc.), just forum username.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #435 on: November 29, 2016, 07:56:51 AM »
<_< >_>
Posting to follow!!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #436 on: November 29, 2016, 08:15:44 AM »
If you have preregistered for CMC, please PM me your forum username for secret reason that will become obvious.

Well half of us have publicly posted here we are signed up.

Oh right, must mail that cheque.  Not today, freezing rain, how lovely.  Joys of being retired, not driving in freezing rain.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #437 on: November 29, 2016, 08:19:17 AM »

Well half of us have publicly posted here we are signed up.

Yes, some did, but I don't want to go through nine pages of the thread, re-reading every post looking for that and trying to parse who actually signed up versus who just expressed interest, plus I'm sure some signed up, but didn't post. 

A PM also more easily lets me access necessary forum settings.  :)

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #438 on: November 29, 2016, 09:35:27 AM »

I've already had an ask about my place for temporary lodging and I am happy to oblidge. I think we can fit all of you into the meat freezer spare bedroom. BUT... as LFG kindly pointed out, I live about 2 hours east of the venue. If you are driving and your drive involves crossing the border at Niagara Falls or Detroit, you will have to drive through Toronto to reach my house, sleep for the night, then arise and drive through Toronto traffic to get to camp.

Depending on timing and whether or not I go (see below) we may be able to offer overnight to someone crossing in Detroit (we live not far from the border). I'm guessing a 3-hour drive from the venue but not sure.

Still not sure I'll be able to make it. I'd love to go but I'm not sure paying $1000 to drag DH and two v. young kids who have little interest in personal finance there is a smart move. Unless there are several kids and other spouses who could hang out together and have a great time while I attend some of the discussions. I may consider going solo. Haven't brought it up with DH yet.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #439 on: November 29, 2016, 12:56:40 PM »
Still not sure I'll be able to make it. I'd love to go but I'm not sure paying $1000 to drag DH and two v. young kids who have little interest in personal finance there is a smart move. Unless there are several kids and other spouses who could hang out together and have a great time while I attend some of the discussions. I may consider going solo. Haven't brought it up with DH yet.

I'm going solo.  We may need to hire help for DH so two toddlers and possible eldercare aren't overwhelming for the three days I'll be gone, but that should cost less than three extra bunks at CMC.  Plus, then, I don't need to worry if they're bored/grumpy/feeling isolated, etc.

Oh right, must mail that cheque.  Not today, freezing rain, how lovely.  Joys of being retired, not driving in freezing rain.

You have to drive to mail a cheque?!  :( How about e-mail transfers?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #440 on: November 29, 2016, 04:43:35 PM »
1. It has been an insane day. I spent much of it in the city in a conference. My mind is swimming.
2. I have received a number of PMs and items in threads that I need to reply to. If you don't have a reeply by tomorrow afternoon, please assume I missed your message and re-ping me.
3. Chaplin. You should really come!! It would be great to see you!
4. Travelling Biologist. I get it on the pricepoint. It is pricey for families.

I am currently working with a really good childcare provider to see about providing totcare for kids from 3 up. I can't make any guarantees right now on this, but if it happens it will be good. Sadly if we have to pay for care, I can't discount your child's fees. Our prices on this are already as low as I can get them.

I wish I had better news, but its better for me to be upfront than for you to make plans that don't work out. Please believe I am being as mustachy as I can without having people drive 13 hours(!!) for a crap weekend. If its a crap weekend I might be able to cut out food and other things, but I would be uncomfortable with that - even then you would'n see enough savings to make it worthwhile. If it is any consolation to you, my family is not being comped and we are having the exact same conversation. Momma may take the boys to a scouting weekend instead.

5. ARS - I will get you your requested info tomorrow. It is on my work computer.

6. Orvell - glad to have you along!!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #441 on: November 29, 2016, 04:56:59 PM »
Some interesting information today from the venue...

1. Meatball party may be doable. I am in talks with catering to see if they can make it happen.

2. they will allow outside food ONLY if the packaging is marked nut free from a nut free facility. nothing home made. In their words:

We do allow you to bring in outside food as long as it is in it’s original packaging and doesn’t contain nuts or have a “may contain nuts” warning. So things like pop, chips, marshmallows, graham crackers and some chocolate can often meet these guidelines. Home-made items and stuff from bulk food stores are not allowed due to the risk of contamination.

3. Adding an extra night for folks flying out on Monday sounds like it will be fine; however, breakfast will not be provided. In order to provide food they need a minimum of 30 ppl. I would be very surprised if 30 ppl want to stay for breakfast.

OK - time to go to the outdoorclub meeting.

Somehow between work and now I have managed to bake a cake, change tires on the van, get mom and J2 off to scouts, and now J1 and I are due at the club meeting. As I said in my last message... if I missed you, check in tomorrow. If I still missed you, please hit me up a second time. I haven't made it through all the PMs yet.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #442 on: November 29, 2016, 05:12:47 PM »
Prospero - just repeating what has been said before - thanks for pulling this together. It's a ton of work, much more to do, and it is much appreciated.

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #443 on: November 29, 2016, 05:16:33 PM »
If it is any consolation to you, my family is not being comped and we are having the exact same conversation. Momma may take the boys to a scouting weekend instead.

Wow, that's really unselfish of you! 

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #444 on: November 29, 2016, 05:24:13 PM »
Just wanted to point out that I hope I wasn't coming across as complaining about the price. I think it is an amazing price for people interested in going, I would gladly pay even more just for myself. It's just that the total family price does add up, so going solo might make more sense for me. I've never slept away from my littles though.

You are doing a fantastic job putting this together!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #445 on: November 29, 2016, 05:55:04 PM »
I think you should comp your family and divide the cost among all of us. It seems to me that's fair.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #446 on: November 29, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »
I think you should comp your family and divide the cost among all of us. It seems to me that's fair.

I'd pitch in to a fund for your family, Prospector!

If you want them to come--a weekend away hanging with Mustachians without worrying about family duties might be fun, too.   ;)

Stashasaurus

• Stubble
« Reply #447 on: November 29, 2016, 06:05:37 PM »

If you want them to come--a weekend away hanging with Mustachians without worrying about family duties might be fun, too.   ;)

I would also like to pitch in to comp Prospectors, and family ( if desired) weekend. Considering the time, effort, and money you are placing to make this event awesome. Let me repeat Awesome.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #448 on: November 29, 2016, 06:08:30 PM »
I agree regarding comping the family Prospector for CMC. 

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #449 on: November 29, 2016, 06:16:56 PM »

I would also like to pitch in to comp Prospectors, and family ( if desired) weekend. Considering the time, effort, and money you are placing to make this event awesome. Let me repeat Awesome.

Agree, Awesome and I'll kick in to cover Family Prospector.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!