Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 347948 times)

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2016, 10:18:21 AM »
I'm excited! For us, it will depend on timing (we teach a lot in the fall so limited opportunities for time off but around Thanksgiving would probably work), location (how far we have to drive), and venue (we have two very young kids so would only want to share accommodations with each other, to everyone's benefit, believe me). Cost is not a huge issue, and ARS brought up a good point about no one getting stuck with food prep. I'd rather pay a bit more if it means we can focus on enjoying hanging out with each other and learning a ton.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2016, 11:01:56 AM »
Excellent! I'll keep your comments in mind.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2016, 11:26:30 AM »
I'm excited!   Will there be rapping?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »
Only if we get AnitaDuck there, and I doubt she can make it.

I am but a mere lyricist. I am no performer.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2016, 01:41:48 PM »
Hey team, I'm giddy and I wanna make an announcement right now. But its too soon. Much too soon. Must wait. But oh so giddy.

OK this is not an announcement.

We may have our venue sewn up... and its not where you think it is.

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2016, 01:51:10 PM »
There is interest here at the PSR family!  Much interest!

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
OOOOOoooOOOOoooo.... :D

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »
Non-Canadians welcome?

Looking forward to actual bona fide details.

Thanks for working on this Prosps!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2016, 02:35:53 PM »
Non-Canadians welcome?

Looking forward to actual bona fide details.

Thanks for working on this Prosps!

Of course Non-Canadians are welcome. I am working to make sure that co-incident sessions are diverse so that there is something the internationals will enjoy even if another presentation is aimed at Canucks.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2016, 09:23:20 PM »
I just got off the phone with Yolfer, who is one of the founders of the original Camp Mustache in Seattle. It sounds like we are completely on track her, and maybe a little bit ahead of schedule.

One big difference though is that there will be a need to pre-book tickets for Camp Mustache Canada. The venue we will be using requires a sizeable deposit in January to hold our dates. To that end, I'll be putting together an event budget, and a ticket site to take deposits to hold spaces. It looks like holds will be about $50CAD, and I am aiming for a total ticket price under $200CAD all inclusive for a three day event.

Watch this space, at half the price of Seattle,  we may book up fast!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2016, 09:47:33 PM »
Wow, geez, that's less than half the price, and that's before the currency conversion!  IDK how you can do all inclusive that cheap, but I'm amazed if you can make it even come close to that.

How many people does the venue fit?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2016, 09:51:36 PM »
Can I pre-reserve a spot?  Actually, what I'm really trying to say is please take my money.  And +1 to what ARS said- you've done an amazing job to get the price that low.  I was expecting something closer to double.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2016, 09:53:03 PM »
Wow, geez, that's less than half the price, and that's before the currency conversion!  IDK how you can do all inclusive that cheap, but I'm amazed if you can make it even come close to that.

Planning to hold it to 60 this year. There is room for growth if it's desired.

I'm waiting on rates for kids and an alcohol policy before I commit. Beds are 4 to a room (bunk beds) so start thinking about who you want for roomies!

Also by all inclusive, I mean food is supplied, but byob.

One more edit, for those flying in, please consider Buffalo airport. You may find it most convenient if this goes the way I think it's going.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:00:15 PM by Prospector »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2016, 09:54:22 PM »

I'm waiting on rates for kids and an alcohol policy before I commit. Beds are 4 to a room (bunk beds) so start thinking about who you want for roomies!

Dibs on you, ARS, and Snacky as roomies! Good times!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2016, 10:01:08 PM »

Lol. I'll be sharing with Momma and 2 Boys!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2016, 10:02:48 PM »

Lol. I'll be sharing with Momma and 2 Boys!

Adjoining rooms (or a basket with car keys - wink, wink /jk)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2016, 10:06:05 PM »
Anyone in my room will have to put up with an 18 month old. That's no fun.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2016, 10:09:44 PM »

Not as bad when they are not yours....

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2016, 10:33:28 PM »

We should share! We'll bring cots for the boys. Dads get the bottom bunks, moms get the top!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2016, 10:51:42 PM »
If the buffalo airport is closer, it might also be easier for me to bus/train/bus my way there. Anything out to Niagara has at least a little transportation! And is semi bikeable

Carpool will run from Aldershot GO - that's my last hint on location.

Jschange

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2016, 11:02:57 PM »
Yay! I vote that we do a car-free pre-meetup in the accessibility coach located in the centre of the train. I will bring treats and we can make a secret handshake

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2016, 11:11:54 PM »
Ooh.  Watching this space for details.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2016, 11:50:14 PM »

This is very flattering, but I live far away. I'm extremely unlikely to attend. I suck.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2016, 01:16:28 AM »

This is very flattering, but I live far away. I'm extremely unlikely to attend. I suck.

Technology will save the day! We can run a livestream of you (but more importantly, the dogs) sleeping.  Well, awake too, but I was thinking of sharing cabins.  Anywhooo... yeah.  Skype?

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2016, 01:25:01 AM »

Technology will save the day! We can run a livestream of you (but more importantly, the dogs) sleeping.  Well, awake too, but I was thinking of sharing cabins.  Anywhooo... yeah.  Skype?

I will make a big portrait of the dogs and i asleep, which you can set up near each gathering and it will be exactly like i'm there!
Or skype. You know. Whatever works.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2016, 03:48:08 AM »

If distance is your reservation, you have 11 months to figure out travel hacking to attend for free!  :)

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2016, 06:08:17 AM »
Also i'd need to find a kennel that takes dogs and kids both and have to be well enough to leave my bed for literally days at a time. I'm staying here.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2016, 06:10:11 AM »
Also i'd need to find a kennel that takes dogs and kids both and have to be well enough to leave my bed for literally days at a time. I'm staying here.

We will partake of an evening snack in your honour. Maybe "Snacky Smores" or something similar.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2016, 06:20:51 AM »
I approve.

The dogs and I will have a camp mustache satellite meeting when the time comes. So affordable!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2016, 06:28:35 AM »
One resounding theme I am gettin gin the feedback loop is "Is this going to have content for Americans?"

Since our (tentative) venue is a mere 1.5 hours from the border, and more than half of the attendees at CM travelled a lot further than a couple hours, we better! Canada is just the venue, it is not the content. I am aiming to make this as cross-border friendly as I can.

To that end, I would LOVE to see a tax session with knowledgeable folks (not me) from both countries pinging questions so we can see the advantages of investing/taxes/business strategies on both sides of the border, and the different hurdles we face. It would be a fun session to have the same question asked of a Canadian and American accountant/businessperson/lawyer/whatever and see how different or alike the answers are.

In short - if your flag doesn't have a maple leaf on it, don't write off this event! There will still be plenty of content, and loads of great people to meet.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2016, 06:34:03 AM »
Honestly, the breakout sessions are fun, but they're like .1% of the reason I go to Camp Mustache events.

Even if it was all Canadian content sessions, I'd be going, for the hangout time the rest of the weekend.

(Though FWIW, I think a "tax comparison" thing sounds more fun than it'll work in real life, because you'll spend so much time on that part, it'll be hard to fit content in both--I think separate US/tax sessions would be good, if you do tax.  You could also do a survey once people sign up to see what topics generate the most interest--have content sessions on there that are generic and apply to both, and country-specific content sessions, and let people choose which they're interested in, to see if you should have some content specific stuff.)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2016, 06:38:39 AM »
Honestly, the breakout sessions are fun, but they're like .1% of the reason I go to Camp Mustache events.

Even if it was all Canadian content sessions, I'd be going, for the hangout time the rest of the weekend.

(Though FWIW, I think a "tax comparison" thing sounds more fun than it'll work in real life, because you'll spend so much time on that part, it'll be hard to fit content in both--I think separate US/tax sessions would be good, if you do tax.  You could also do a survey once people sign up to see what topics generate the most interest--have content sessions on there that are generic and apply to both, and country-specific content sessions, and let people choose which they're interested in, to see if you should have some content specific stuff.)

We see through a similar lens! A good workshop is one that gets people talking! Your thoughts match mine quite closely.

Other important considerations... Do we do summit-series hockey game on day one, or a crokinole tournament?

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2016, 06:51:33 AM »
Teach the Americans curling.

Film your efforts.

For... Science. Yes.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »

We should share! We'll bring cots for the boys. Dads get the bottom bunks, moms get the top!

Hmm, your both bottoms.... glad I could facilitate your bromance...

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2016, 09:51:59 AM »
This surely sounds interesting. I just signed up in the FIRE in 2017 thread so I may be available. But put me in the "very suspect" category as I really am not sure yet. I wouldn't want to take a spot from anyone else.

I have some miles to use on Southwest, but Southwest doesn't fly to Canada...eh? Looks like Buffalo is close to Toronto. Maybe I can share a ride with someone leaving from Buffalo.

I'm fine with a bunk.

Canada is cheap for us US people.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »
Buffalo really is an option worth looking into both for travelling on points and for price in general. Competition is fierce between The airports, and with different carriers flying into each, you will get different array of prices. No telling which of the two will be cheaper. Transit between Buffalo and CMC is a different animal though. It would be hard to arrange.

There are a number of airport car services that make the trip, but renting a car (on points???) will likely be cheaper/easier. You should bring your  passport either way. One warning though - if you rent a car and you see an on-ramp to Highway 407ETR, stay away. Rental companies charge huge administration fees on top of the already high tolls on our only area toll highway. Generally the rental companies tack it onto the credit card taken for a deposit and say nothing.

I have no idea how much you would pay for a 90 minute Uber trip with a cross-border destination.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:24:58 AM by Prospector »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »
Our dates are now locked in and our venue is semi-secured.

Friday October 20 - 22, 2017

The venue is in the Brantford Ontario area and will be revealed only to ticket holders. I was forced to push our date a little later in the month due to competition for the venue.

Hopefully this will help with folks who need a long range plan in order to attend. Watch for ticket pre-sales to begin very soon.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:17:38 PM by Prospector »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2016, 12:00:42 PM »
If I get a ticket, I am driving. If I am driving I may be able to pick up one or two folks along the way.

Des Moines to CA...... 13 hours (not counting time at border crossing)

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2016, 12:25:28 PM »
I think we could make this work! Excited to hear more details as they become available!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2016, 12:26:49 PM »
Teach the Americans curling.

Film your efforts.

For... Science. Yes.

I am a BIG fan of curling. So there.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2016, 12:34:47 PM »
If I get a ticket, I am driving. If I am driving I may be able to pick up one or two folks along the way.

You're driving to California to bring people back to Ontario? You crazy Americans!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2016, 01:00:21 PM »

You're driving to California to bring people back to Ontario? You crazy Americans!

WIPO country code - not tunnel-vision US-centric acronym.....

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2016, 01:13:59 PM »
More important news...

Ontario has liquor laws that have only barely been changed since prohibition. By barely, I mean, you're allowed to drink here, but not much else.

If liquor is served at a function it must be decanted by a smart-serve certified bartender, and the organizer of the function (me) has to buy a liquor license. I'm too cheap to buy a liquor license, and I'm sure not hiring a bartender.

Luckily for us, this facility recognizes that some patrons may choose to drink, and that a bartender is a ripoff. If you are drinking, for the 3 seconds you sip your beer/schnapps/whatever you must transport yourself in Dr. Who-like fashion forward in time to where Ontario actually has modern alcohol laws, drink your beer, then transport yourself back to the present. Or you know, be discrete and well behaved, and the facility will turn a blind eye.

No alcohol will be sold at the event, and you will have to bring your own. Drinking age in Ontario is... I forget. Is it 19? I haven't had to worry about this for a long time.

If you are coming up from Amerika, get your alcohol at the duty free shop at the border, our stores here can be hard to find. They look like this and are government run:

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2016, 01:21:18 PM »
Can American bought beer or hard liquor be brought over the border? I am sure there is a limit....
I suppose I could use Google....

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »

Thank you Google my old friend
I've come to talk you again.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2016, 03:07:09 PM »
I was originally going to book us in on Friday the 13th... that didn't work out. If it had, a side trip to Dover one evening would have been a "for sure" outing!

You left out the Woodland Cultural Centre and the longhouse. That would be kickass for a sleepover!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 03:10:38 PM by Prospector »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2016, 03:10:56 PM »
I was originally going to book us in on Friday the 13th... that didn't work out. If it had, a side trip to Dover one evening would have been a "for sure" outing!

The motorcycle rally every Friday the 13th!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2016, 06:33:48 AM »
Friends who dwell south of the greatest nation on earth, this great land where the maple syrup flows free and beavers roam wild; can you tell me if email money transfers work down there - or if they work cross-border? I am vastly ignorant on this.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2016, 06:35:49 AM »
Friends who dwell south of the greatest nation on earth, this great land where the maple syrup flows free and beavers roam wild; can you tell me if email money transfers work down there - or if they work cross-border? I am vastly ignorant on this.

Hmm, I am not even sure I've ever used one. I can try to do a little Google-fu, but it will all be academic...

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2016, 06:36:46 AM »
Paypall is definitely a thing. I have paypalled americans.