Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 347935 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« on: July 21, 2016, 09:44:33 PM »
Camp Mustache Canada (CMC) 2017 is a GO!!!

Camp begins in:

Please email campmustachecanada@gmail.com if you would like to be notified Of any seats available.

Friday October 20 - 22, 2017

The venue is in the Brantford, Ontario area and will be revealed only to ticket holders. Gates will open at 10h00 on Friday morning with formal activities beginning at noon.

Tentative schedule (subject to change at any time):

DAY 1
Opening Session - Speaker 1 - Gen Finance - MonsterMonster

Breakout 1 - Speaker 2 - Urban Homesteading - TheGoblinChief
Breakout 1 - Speaker 3 - Travel Hacking - Mrs. Arebelspy

DAY 2
Fitness - Yoga - ElleFiji

Keynote - Speaker 4 - ETF/Index investing - Dan Bortolotti

Breakout 2 - Speaker 5 - Landlording - Rachelle Berube
Breakout 2 - Speaker 6 - Life Coaching - Monkey Jenga

Breakout 3 - Speaker 7 - "Cheap Style" Home Maintenance/Gardening/Décor - PBKMaine & Deborah
Breakout 3 - Speaker 8 - Frugal Pupsters - FiFoFum
Breakout 3 - Speaker 9 - Canadian Accounting Q&A

DAY 3
Fitness - "A Brisk Walk"

Opening Session - Speaker 10 - Startups and Small Biz - AxeCleaver

Breakout 4 - Speaker 11 - Post-Fire Life Canuck Expat

Closing Presentations - "The Quickfire Round"

Group Activity - Canoeing/Hockey Game/Other??? (TBD)

CAMP MUSTACHE CANADA PRESALE SOLD OUT - accepting names for waitlist.

CMC 2017 FAQ

What is the venue?
For security reasons, the actual venue will only be released to ticket holders.

How Much Will CMC2017 Cost?
The Goal is to have tickets be about $235.

How many people are coming?
We have about 65 confirmed attendees

I got a presale Ticket - What can I do with it?
Your presale ticket guarantees a bunk will be held in your name at CMC2017. If you find yourself unable to attend, you may transfer your reservation; however, the ticket is not refundable. We appreciate you buying a presale spot since this will give us the working capital for venue fees an materials/supplies needed in advance of the camp. The remainder of your ticket price will be billed in advance of the camp.

Who Can come?
Whoever gets a ticket

Can I bring outside food?
The venue limits outside foods strictly. All outside food must be in its original packaging and be marked peanut free. No homemade foods are allowed.

Can I bring my Spouse/Kids?
If you buy them a ticket, yes they can come. All adults pay the same rate. Infants (2 and under) are free however they will have to either cosleep or have a pack-n-play to sleep in. No beds are allocated to infants.

What is included?
3 days and 2 nights at CMC2017 including meals, a bunk bed, and all presentations. A schwag bag is also being assembled.

Who will be my room mates?
Our venue has 4 beds per room, and guests are welcome to choose their own room mates. Final ticket sales will include a form requesting all roomates be identified. This will then be confirmed before the room is set.

If you have no room mate preference, you will be assigned to a room at random. No random assignee will be put in a coed room.

What are the presentations?
At this point its too early to say for sure. There will be topics of general interest to Mustachians, as well as "Core subject matter" such as financials, careers, and post-RE.

Please feel free to ask any other questions in this thread (I monitor it closely) or via PM.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:28:58 AM by Prospector »

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
Re: Ontario's Own Camp Mustache 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 10:55:49 PM »
Don't forget the geographic arbitrage opportunity. At current rates, American can go almost two for one compared to the other camp mustache..

Might be interested depending on timing. Though after November, might be hard to get across, what with the giant wall about o be built and all

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 12:22:45 AM »
Following.  Very interested if it's in the fall.

Have you researched into Seattle's Camp Mustache (the structure, schedule, etc.)?  That may give you a base of ideas, including things you may want to duplicate (and things you may not want to).

6. Should we try to lure in Bieber, Drake, or BNL for entertainment?

These suggestions on question #6 were obviously a joke, but did you mean the question itself seriously?

Like, CM1 had Pete and JD Roth (from GetRichSlowly).  CM2 had Pete and Brandon (MadFientist).  CM3 had Pete, Brandon, and PaulaPant from AffordAnything (and Nords, also celebrity blogger, but we got lucky that he wanted to attend, rather than was "lured" as a headliner).

Are you looking to do something similar?  Or was the whole question itself a joke?

Don't forget the geographic arbitrage opportunity. At current rates, American can go almost two for one compared to the other camp mustache..

You got me super excited, I thought something happened to the currency.  Looks like it's still a 25% discount.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 09:51:36 AM »
I actually haven't looked at the Seattle threads. I guess that should be an obvious starting point. I think that finding a cheap venue that works for GTA folks who are mostly car-less is going to be the toughest part of this. Speakers/Presentations would be a whole 'nother department.

If folks wanted to REALLY rough it, there is some crown land opportunity not too far from Barrie, but I doubt most of the crowd would go for that. Seems to me (based on what get togethers I've been to) that most of the Ontario crowd is more into wine and cheese in a platter than Smores and Brats on a stick. BUT that is from a very small sampling of very urban meetups, in a very nice setting. I was there, and I like Smores - and I'm sure I'm not the only one who can switch between wingtips and hiking boots.

Anyways, if this thread gets traction, I have some ideas to make it work, but first, lets see who is even interested.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 10:25:19 AM »
One of the organizers of the PNW Camp Mustache offered to share their experience here: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/camp-mustache-2016/msg1013638/#msg1013638

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 05:21:04 PM »
Yes!  Count me in.  I'd love to meet more of you IRL. 😊

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »
To answer some of your specific questions:

1. Are you in?
I am depending on the timelines. The earlier date is known the better.

2. Where should we do this?
No preference.

3. Any planned activities we totally MUST offer?
My favorite part of the CM that I went to was the unstructured time that had everyone together, to just hang out, chat, and learn and enjoy great company.

4. How rugged of a camp should this be? (Hotel/resort, Campground, Canoe in, Hike in?)
I'm good from needing to portage up to fancy resort if not too expensive. I think you'd get the best experience and buy-in somewhere in the middle.

5. How would you get there? (Should this be on a train/transit corridor?)
Driving some kind of vehicle probably.

Tragically Hip farewell tour destination?

To answer one of your other questions, I don't think you have to worry too much about carless people. For a get away, people can rent, and it's pretty easy to coordinate carpooling once people know they are going.
Also, if you decide to go more park like, isn't there a bus that goes to the parks: https://www.parkbus.ca/ ?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »
I PM'ed the previous organizer and got a response, so I'll give him a call and see what tips he can offer. We were away on the North Shore of Superior for the past week (wonderful getaway - sand beaches, hiking, catching bullfrog tadpoles, etc. - see the journal) and am only now dealing with the outfall of taking a week off from the house.

In my mind I was thinking of booking a hostel near Algonquin in its entirety. This would be accommodations for about 60 ppl. with opportunity for adventures in the park on only a day pass. Rates at the Wolf Den are higher than I recalled though, so it may not be the most mustachy option.

Of course any cottage resort would work out if we went that way, but the one I have in mind really embraces the "Tribe" mentality with a communal kitchen, shared living space, and individual rooms or a bunkhouse with shared sleeping quarters.

An alternative is a private campground. I have a line on one of those up in Cornwall through cadet contacts, but Cornwall is a long way from the Toronto crowd; although it is central for Montreal and Ottawa. This camp is very rough, but has a good beach, an open field for camping and a few bunkhouses on it for "rustic" shared sleeping quarters. Also - it has a very good (although dated) industrial kitchen that can pump out a metric shitload of food if needed - and renting it would put money in a Cadet Corps pocket, which makes my heart warm since I am affiliated with the organisation on a local level here. The camp also has a bunch of classrooms which would be great if we were to attract a guest speaker.

Option C is the simplest - just book a group site at a provincial park. Everyone is responsible for their own food etc.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 01:39:31 PM by Prospector »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 03:21:53 PM »

Have you researched into Seattle's Camp Mustache (the structure, schedule, etc.)?  That may give you a base of ideas, including things you may want to duplicate (and things you may not want to).

These suggestions on question #6 were obviously a joke, but did you mean the question itself seriously?

Like, CM1 had Pete and JD Roth (from GetRichSlowly).  CM2 had Pete and Brandon (MadFientist).  CM3 had Pete, Brandon, and PaulaPant from AffordAnything (and Nords, also celebrity blogger, but we got lucky that he wanted to attend, rather than was "lured" as a headliner).

Are you looking to do something similar?  Or was the whole question itself a joke?

You got me super excited, I thought something happened to the currency.  Looks like it's still a 25% discount.  :)

This has me wondering what "rockstars" in the community would be reachable to come out? As you can see in my response, I am now considering venues with a "Teaching Room" or similar more seriously. I'm not sure that Dave Chilton is our calibre or that we can afford his speaking fees.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 03:24:13 PM »
How would folks feel about CDN Thanksgiving 2017 as a working date - to get a long weekend??? Or is family time too sacred?

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 01:23:10 PM »
A brief Questionnaire for Ontario's Mustachians (and those willing to travel here):

1. Are you in?
I have to wait A WHOLE YEAR?!?  I'm not good at waiting!  😲  Can we throw something together sooner?
http://www.wintergreenstudios.com/retreats/  This place is awesome and kinda central to Ottawa, Mtl and TO. (And I know the owner)

4. How rugged of a camp should this be? (Hotel/resort, Campground, Canoe in, Hike in?)
I'm easy.
Carpool
I'd be thrilled with the likes of ARS!  If we are going to plan this A YEAR in advance, maybe we can coordinate with MMM's yearly sojourn to Ontario.  And be careful not to conflict with any planned Ecuador trips?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »
Probably too far, but there is Cedar Cove on White Lake, an hour southwest of Ottawa.  http://www.cedarcove.ca/

I am no longer a camper, all my gear was given to DD long ago.  I do not need a 5 star hotel, but I do need my own room (social introvert, I love meeting people but I also need my own little retreat) and reasonable bathroom facilities (= indoor plumbing, not too shared).  A place that accepts dogs would be nice but not necessary.  3 hour drive is pretty much what I am willing to do.  Sounds like we need an Ottawa/Cornwall meet-up, doesn't it?

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 01:09:50 AM »

This has me wondering what "rockstars" in the community would be reachable to come out? As you can see in my response, I am now considering venues with a "Teaching Room" or similar more seriously. I'm not sure that Dave Chilton is our calibre or that we can afford his speaking fees.
I don't see my name being added to rockstar lists, and I don't want to waste everyone's time.  I doubt that you'd get any attendees from the U.S. military and I don't know much about the Canadian Forces. 

On the other hand I'm happy to visit new places and sit around talking personal finance over a cup of coffee with interesting people. 

I would prefer not to experience cold weather ("cold" meaning "less than 55 degrees F") and I should probably never again try to climb 3000 feet of altitude in just four miles at a brisk pace.  (Testosterone poisoning.)  But I can still pump out 100 of MMM's pushups.  (More poisoning.)

My spouse and I usually choose our travel itineraries with a purpose.  (We don't seem to be able to give ourselves permission to just pack up & go, but we're working on that self-imposed deficiency.)  If there are no mosquitos then she might come along to add to the trip with a few weeks at nearby locations. 

I'll subscribe to this thread.  Let me know what you think I can contribute to the discussion... or at least to the novelty of the ambiance. 

Longwaytogo

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 11:50:08 AM »
I agree that I would not worry too much about car-less Toronto folk.  If someone can't be troubled to rent a car or car-pool or whatever they likely would not attend an event like this anyway .

Also, who are you trying to attract or do you care? Like local Canadians or a full North American spectrum.  So far in this thread you have a few Canadians, San Francisco, Hawaii, and World traveler.
From what I gather from The Seattle one it's like Half PNW and half all over. (someone who's attended can confirm/correct?)

I'd be thrilled with the likes of ARS!  If we are going to plan this A YEAR in advance, maybe we can coordinate with MMM's yearly sojourn to Ontario.  And be careful not to conflict with any planned Ecuador trips?

I agree getting ARS there would be Awesome! Especially for all the Forum folk who know/converse with him. Nords too. Maybe if you want a known Blogger you could ask an East Coaster like RootofGood, FrugalWoods  or something? Maybe just say it's low cost and see if they would come for a free stay and flight instead of speaking fee? No idea what they have done at the other one.

On the other hand I'm happy to visit new places and sit around talking personal finance over a cup of coffee with interesting people. 

[quote author=CanuckExpat link=topic=59026.msg1173160#msg1173160 date=1470084024
My favorite part of the CM that I went to was the unstructured time that had everyone together, to just hang out, chat, and learn and enjoy great company.
[/quote]

+1 to the above! I would guess you'd want some sort of Structure, but I'm sure just the hanging out and meeting like minded folk is a big part of the fun.

I love camping but would guess you'd appeal to more people with a more typical lodging. I thought that Wolfden Bunkhouse you linked looked pretty cool. Any idea on cost?

How would folks feel about CDN Thanksgiving 2017 as a working date - to get a long weekend??? Or is family time too sacred?

I would say most US folk would consider our Thanksgiving Family time too precious and that is an insanely busy/expensive time to fly. But yours in October may be appealing for US folk. Is Weather still mild that time of year? What about Labor day as long weekend, maybe more conducive for canoeing and such?

Maybe you can recruit Jon Snow and we can set up some sort of Kayak vs. Canoe obstacle course for all of our entertainments :)

Anyway, just adding points for you to ponder and trying to answers some of your initial questions.  Full disclosure: No idea if I could/would come, I feel like an Imposter here half the time so may not feel comfortable amongst real Mustachains.  Mostly depends on cost/date but sounds like fun!!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 08:32:20 PM »
Today I went for a VERY.LONG.DRIVE up into cottage country and found myself scoping out little cottage resorts along the way. By the time I got home though, my thoughts had returned to Algonquin, and I find myself tempted to call out and see what their 2017 full rental would run. I've also been eyeballing a few places along the Rideau since that is MMM's stomping grounds.

Target audience: People who are friendly and I can enjoy a drink by a fire with. I hadn't even considered the US vs Canadian takes before folks posted here. In my head this is about lifestyle more than about which tax dodges you can execute. I am not a proficient side-gigging, money amassing allstar here.

ARS would be way awesome. As would Nords and MMM and everyone else. I kinda hope MonsterMonster finds a reason to travel out because I've been following her journal lately and am amazed at her stories. Same with Tardis. And all the other "celebrities in a supporting role" so many great people here. Do we even need breakaway sessions and keynotes?

What is algonquin like in October? Its like this.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 01:41:16 PM by Prospector »

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 03:43:19 PM »
Definitely interested. Posting to follow.

PtboEliz

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 06:17:03 PM »
Following too!

csr

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 09:21:04 PM »
Interested

Jschange

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 10:23:29 PM »
I'm interested!

I would like there to be a transit or ride share option. Otherwise my interest wanes. Wolf's den looks gorgeous when I pass by, and is a good medium. They might also be able to accommodate small groups booked individually.

There was a couple that hit the news today with millenial revolution. ARS and family are awesome. Other board personalities are lovely too.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 05:39:53 PM »
Did you get all the input you needed? Have you considered Spamming the link to this thread in some other threads, ie:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/anyone-in-toronto/
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/anyone-in-hamilton-ontario/
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/guelph-ontario/

Something reminded me of this thread, and I was getting excited for the idea of a thanksgiving meetup this year! Don't think we can make it up there quite that fast though :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 05:52:04 PM »
Thanks for popping this to the top.

I sent a feeler message to MMM but haven't heard back. I suspect that its either too far into the distant future, or that he's just not that into it. Which is cool.

Loads of other stuff going on right now and not feeling rushed to pull together minutae, so for now just monitoring the thread. Feel free to spam though folks - Detroit and Buffalo may want to partake as well.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 06:32:49 PM »
Following as I may be interested.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 07:49:13 AM »
Alright Expat... You got me moving.

I have a price on accommodations near Algonquin. I'm aiming to do this for about $150/head plus food. To get that price, we only have 60 beds including presenters. I am thinking everyone feeds themselves Breakfast & Lunch, then we have a bring-what-you can communal dinner on Saturday.

I/we need to find at least 6 willing presenters who can talk about anything mustache related (or do a workshop/present mad skills/whatever).  At this point I am happy to take requests and recommendations, or have you volunteer a topic you can do. Also, I am a slug who sleeps in and does not do morning cardio. If you are a willing fitness person please let me know and I'll slot you in as cardio/yoga class leader.

If there is interest, Momma and I can do a workshop in food preservation - canning, dehydrating, and pickling. Thoughts anyone???
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:16:00 AM by Prospector »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 08:00:18 AM »
October may be appealing for US folk. Is Weather still mild that time of year?

October in Algonquin is a little bit cool.  You're probably looking at temperatures in the range of 12 degrees in the day and close to 0 at night (53 - 32).  It has been a warmer than usual summer, not sure if that will stretch into the fall though.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »
October may be appealing for US folk. Is Weather still mild that time of year?

October in Algonquin is a little bit cool.  You're probably looking at temperatures in the range of 12 degrees in the day and close to 0 at night (53 - 32).  It has been a warmer than usual summer, not sure if that will stretch into the fall though.

It is also leaf-peeping season. Which means trails can be crowded in the park proper. However, the Hostel/resort that I am booking is on the west border of the park and should be OK.

Also this is all interior accommodations, so you will have a warm bed (no tents) but it may be rustic or in a 'dorm' setting.

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 05:24:32 PM »
I'm interested, posting to follow.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 06:13:18 PM »
Following.

FarmFund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 07:58:09 AM »
Following! This sounds like fun. I'd love to meet some Ontario people.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 04:29:22 PM »
Crazy idea... I have a closing date on my first income property in a town about 2 hours east of Toronto. We call it the Barnhouse.

I get possession of Barnhouse in mid-October. Would there be any interest in a sleepover at Barnhouse while its empty/before I get started on it?

Basically a big empty house without furniture. Folks would need to bring air beds/camp chairs and claim space early. Issues with this plan are that as of this moment there are no appliances (fridge, stove) and that there are only 1.5 bathrooms on a septic system of unknown capacity.

If there is interest/uptake I need to be sure my business partner (Momma - AKA my wife) is hip to my groove.

If this has appeal, let me know.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 04:50:40 PM »
Crazy idea...

You had me at crazy idea
Interested, and that might overlap with the times we are up there this fall. If so, I will let you know

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 06:00:54 PM »
This is a good time frame for us, though the style might not be--we wouldn't own any of the necessary stuff.

Perhaps if we could rent it, or if others had extras, or if we bought or rented an RV and could park it there?

This definitely sounds more like a meetup (even a multi-day one) than a Camp Mustache type idea, but it still sounds like loads of fun, so we'd do what we could to make it work!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 06:09:53 PM »
This is a good time frame for us, though the style might not be--we wouldn't own any of the necessary stuff.

Perhaps if we could rent it, or if others had extras, or if we bought or rented an RV and could park it there?

This definitely sounds more like a meetup (even a multi-day one) than a Camp Mustache type idea, but it still sounds like loads of fun, so we'd do what we could to make it work!

Yeah - thats why I called it a sleepover. I don't think parking an RV would be an issue. I sent a PM about gear.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2016, 06:43:11 PM »
Sounds fun! I'd be interested in a meetup in that location in the next month or so, though I'm not sure I'd be into the communal sleepover aspect but I'd enjoy spending an afternoon and evening. Well, if we can have a campfire, maybe I'd wind up crashing for the night and persuading my spouse to join me.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2016, 06:48:47 PM »
Campfire is highly unlikely - too urban.

Just got buy-in from Momma, especially since all these LLs will be able to advise on projects etc.

So its on.

Working Date is Oct. 15.  If you are coming, PM me to reserve indoor/outdoor space and get the address. We can arrange shuttles to the VIA rail station (Lakeshore line from Union Stn Toronto)

Limited RV parking available. Hookups are even less likely.

I'm starting a new thread and will link to it from here...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:27:59 PM by Prospector »

Dee_K

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2016, 07:58:45 AM »
Good morning,

I would be interested in being part of CM2017

canadian235

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 09:35:02 PM »
Interested can you PM details pls

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2016, 10:37:51 PM »
I would be interested in being part of CM2017

To clarify, CM2017 will still be held be near Seattle, Memorial Day weekend, same as the last three years.

Prospector, maybe call this CMO2017?  :)

crystal_dawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2016, 08:26:11 AM »
Crazy idea... I have a closing date on my first income property in a town about 2 hours east of Toronto. We call it the Barnhouse.

I get possession of Barnhouse in mid-October. Would there be any interest in a sleepover at Barnhouse while its empty/before I get started on it?

Basically a big empty house without furniture. Folks would need to bring air beds/camp chairs and claim space early. Issues with this plan are that as of this moment there are no appliances (fridge, stove) and that there are only 1.5 bathrooms on a septic system of unknown capacity.

If there is interest/uptake I need to be sure my business partner (Momma - AKA my wife) is hip to my groove.

I'll be in for anything (I made an account because of this thread!) If I were you, I'd request port-a-potty to place some bathrooms around and distribute that cost between everyone.

Otherwise I'll answer your questionnaire:

1. Are you in?

Yes anytime. I can also help with research and/or organizing the event.

Wolfden looks neat, but it gets pricey considering the drive and we are a three person household (kids are invited, right?) (450 plus food) but we would still be in. Other places can be considered. There is a GO station in Acton and I have a minivan I can transport people to the Scout camp (mentioned above) 6 people at a time.

I just want to hang with people who have similar values to me. Perhaps a workshop in carpentry, but I'm not sure if that's possible if it's really rugged. 

I could run a workshop on children's mental health and benefits for children who engage in a simple lifestyle.

I'm up for whatever, but if it's in the fall I would like some lodging (not camping)

I have a van from my home-daycare. We also have a small commuter car and bikes. We live in Acton, ON

Also, I would have attended the Belleville event if I had heard about it before (was it fun?)

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 12:02:49 PM »
Welcome crystal _dawn!

It was fun!

Hopefully we'll see you at the next one!

frugalcanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2016, 09:30:43 PM »
I will be following this thread.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2016, 07:53:12 AM »
OK - I've been in touch with a couple resorts and am starting to get a feel for more possibilities. One in the Belleville area is starting to rise up as having potential from both a cost and venue perspective - it would be in cabins sleeping 4-6. Capacity for about 65 ppl. It is convenient for me from an organization perspective since I am in town for my investment property regularly.

I need to put a callout for speakers. I've reached out to a few personalities on the board, but hoping for others. I f you are interested in attending this and feel like you could contribute content in the form of a 60-90 minute (or so) presentation, let me know. Please pass the message around. PM me with a speaking outline if you feel like you can contribute.

Right now I am working on the premise that we have 8 speaking slots, 2 of which are keynotes. (one keynote speaker, plus 4 workshops per day. 2 workshops running consecutively.)

I really like the "rideshare" demands (traffic geek loves to see carpooling). If the event runs east of Toronto, I think it would be a good idea to set up a carpool out of the  Whitby GO station. It's on the Lakeshore line, has good connectivity to the 401, and is easy to navigate. Basically, from Toronto, you would ride the GO to Whitby, Stand at the appointed place and hop a ride to the event. 

Drivers would leave the 401 at Exit 410 (Brock St.) go left at the first light and pick up passengers, turn around in the parking lot and get back on the 401. Easy-peasy. (Check out google maps)

In my head, everyone from the GTA will go past that station regardless of whether they are travelling on train or in a car.

Food is a giant mystery at this point. Diets, preferences, and cooking facilities need to be accommodated and figured out.

One resort I am considering is offering a fleet of (ugh) kayaks for free use, a pontoon boat for rent, and a variety of soft activities (badminton, volleyball, etc.) Does this stuff matter? Or is sitting around a campfire enough?

Expect an announcement and ticket sales once I get a speaking slate lined up. This will be soon if we are going to proceed.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2016, 12:50:57 PM »
I need to put a callout for speakers. I've reached out to a few personalities on the board, but hoping for others. I f you are interested in attending this and feel like you could contribute content in the form of a 60-90 minute (or so) presentation, let me know. Please pass the message around. PM me with a speaking outline if you feel like you can contribute.

I always enjoy the more open discussion/round table/socratic seminar than a "presentation" per se, personally.

Right now I am working on the premise that we have 8 speaking slots, 2 of which are keynotes. (one keynote speaker, plus 4 workshops per day. 2 workshops running consecutively.)

Running multiple simultaneously is a good idea.  Camp Mustache always has 3 to choose from, so while sometimes you have to make a hard choice of what you'd rather learn about/discuss, there's always something for everyone, since they're quite diverse.  Having one going, that you aren't interested in, is meh--at least two, like you mention, is good.

I don't think you need to line up too much of that too early.  One or two main speakers early is fine, and the rest put out calls once signups are over for people who want to share.  Mustachians are full of knowledge and awesomeness, so you'll likely find people with cool ideas to share/present.

I think the first CM they got Pete and JD Roth to commit, then just whinged the rest of the presentations by coming up with a list of topics, and assuming people would be interested in discussing them (I didn't even know I was "leading" the real estate discussion until the day before, while at the Camp).  So I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get everything lined up perfect for the breakout sessions, IMO--that will all fall into place easily.

Food is a giant mystery at this point. Diets, preferences, and cooking facilities need to be accommodated and figured out.

So the first year, there was giant cooking facilities.  The organizers brought in a bunch of food, and then a few of them, and their spouses, were stuck cooking the vast majority of the weekend.  The food was delicious, but it was a bummer for those who had to spend so much time on that all the time.  Cooking for 50+, and cleaning, and such, is no small feat.  And while you think people could pitch in, there's only so much room in a kitchen, for both the cooking, and cleaning--washing dishes, for example, takes a long time, and there just isn't room to fit in a lot of people to do it, even if they're willing to help.

The second and third year, we went to an all inclusive camp.  The staff there did all cooking, and cleaning.  This obviously made everything more expensive (IIRC tickets went from roughly 200 or 250 to like 400 or 450), but made the experience way better/easier.  No need to even worry about food at all.

Yes, the tickets then become pricey for some, but you'll still have enough people who want to go, and if you run it at cost, meaning people don't feel like you're making a profit off of them, they'll realize that $450 or whatever for 3 nights + 3 days of food isn't actually that bad.

And then you just show up, sit down at a random table with friends/new strangers, eat, enjoy, walk away, keep chatting, no need to ever worry about any of that stuff.  Next meal, sit at a different table, introduce yourself to new people, and get to know them! I'm normally not a fan of all inclusive, but it made the weekend way better when they switched to that model.

One resort I am considering is offering a fleet of (ugh) kayaks for free use, a pontoon boat for rent, and a variety of soft activities (badminton, volleyball, etc.) Does this stuff matter? Or is sitting around a campfire enough?

Honestly, we spent so much time chatting, doing the breakout sessions, playing games, etc. that there wouldn't even be much time for these type of activities.  You may go for short walks with people.  They schedule one long hike each time that takes up the bulk of the 3rd day.  The campfire (with smores!) each night is fun, for sure. But I wouldn't worry about a whole bunch of "extra" activities, because people who get up early and go downstairs (or to the central area, or whatever) suddenly have a bunch of interesting people to chat with, they're not going to go out on their own to kayak.

People go to the retreat to meet and hang out with other Mustachians, and while you can do that with other activities, you just... don't.  Cause you're so busy hanging out.  :)

Just my thoughts.  :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2016, 06:13:40 PM »
- IMPORTANT NEWS -

Dan Bortolotti of Canadian Couch Potato Fame just emailed me - he is interested in being part of this event and would like to be kept in the loop. Further he is willing to make a presentation. Exciting stuff.

If you aren't already familiar with Dan, check if your library has one of his nine financial books, read his column in Money Sense, or follow his blog www.canadiancouchpotato.com/

In the coming weeks I'll be locking up an event venue and figuring out pricing and ticketing. Watch this space.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2016, 06:52:21 PM »
- IMPORTANT NEWS -

Dan Bortolotti of Canadian Couch Potato Fame just emailed me - he is interested in being part of this event and would like to be kept in the loop. Further he is willing to make a presentation. Exciting stuff.

If you aren't already familiar with Dan, check if your library has one of his nine financial books, read his column in Money Sense, or follow his blog www.canadiancouchpotato.com/

In the coming weeks I'll be locking up an event venue and figuring out pricing and ticketing. Watch this space.

*mic drop*

Wow!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2016, 07:33:59 PM »
\Dan Bortolotti of Canadian Couch Potato Fame just emailed me - he is interested in being part of this event and would like to be kept in the loop. Further he is willing to make a presentation. Exciting stuff.
[...]In the coming weeks I'll be locking up an event venue and figuring out pricing and ticketing. Watch this space.

Very cool.  And I'm glad that you're thinking about transport for the carless.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2016, 08:17:02 AM »
Ditto on the interactive, more informal sessions being better than a scripted presentation. Even with a theme, I find the best segments where unplanned and where everyone could share their knowledge. Maybe with the exception of the tax topics, where it was really interesting to have someone who had really indepth knowledge and was visibly passionate about helping people optimize. In that vein, haven't had experience, but this is this thread/guy who might be of interest to Canadian attendees: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/taxes/can'eh'dian-tax-you-have-questions-i-have-answers/

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2016, 06:32:45 AM »
I'm potentially interested and could help lead a session on urban homesteading/gardening/chickens/rabbits but a lot comes down to cost and how soon I'd have to commit the funds. Probably going to be really short on cash until mid-spring. This year has been really expensive so I'm reluctant to make big commitments until we recover a bit.

I'll follow along.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2016, 06:43:11 AM »
Thanks to everyone who's poked in over the weeeknd - We lost internet sometime on Friday night, and I've been operating off my blackberry, which is inconvenient. Now that I have a keyboard in front of me I can be verbose...

My goal this week is to nail down a location. Once we have that, I'll be able to start projecting costs.

ARS - can we retitle this thread to " Camp Mustache Canada - 2017" or similar so that folks don't get the idea that we are exclusive to Ontarians? Then we can take the acronym CMC

Everyone who has reached out to me about speaking roles - or who I have reached out to - thanks a bajillion! This is starting to get interesting. With such a long timeline, we have tonnes of room for flex right now, but I am glad to be able to start forming a vision. I am trying not o be too myopic but I have a hard time of judging fringe topics that are non-finance related. Thrilled to see Goblin Chief is seriously considering the invitation to talk on City-Steading and that ARS is willing to cover off topics as well. I'd LOVE to do a presentation on the societal cost of cars, but I think it might be a bit of a stretch to get into talking about overarching costs like that that many feel are beyond their individual control.

Also, while our financial speakers will reference RRSPs, TFSAs, and RRIFs - that doesn't mean that the context of the presentations will be beyond the US experience. I hope that Americans feel like this will be a worthwhile thing for them to take part in.

That's all for now - thanks again to all who have PMed me with ideas for presentations, or ways to move this forward. I'm excited. Are you excited?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:37:53 AM by Prospector »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »
You can always edit the titles of your own threads by editing it in the first post.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2016, 07:38:08 AM »
You can always edit the titles of your own threads by editing it in the first post.

Duh, I knew that.