Author Topic: Bendigo in July  (Read 9945 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Bendigo in July
« on: May 05, 2021, 03:15:03 AM »
Thread to discuss a possible Bendigo MMMeetup. Pinging @happy @deborah @lazycow @Fresh Bread @GT

At this point my flights are Syd->Bendigo on the 10th of July, back to Sydney on the midday flight on the 16th.
Since it turns out the woolshow *starts* on the 16th, I'm trying to change my flights/room booking but it seems the woolshow is really popular and this may not be possible?

Any rate, thought it might be useful to drop planning and discussion here.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Re: Bendigo in July
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 04:00:25 AM »
PTF

It's a great adventure that I haven't ruled out but can we also meet up somewhere closer and/or warmer?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 05:31:59 AM »
Great idea mspym.

Since I arrive on 14th and leave on the 16 th it would best be  on July 15th, although I could probably do the afternoon of the 14th.

Also pinging @limeandpepper, @LonerMatt, @alsoknownasDean, @middo  - all the Victorians that instantly come to mind...I've probably forgotten someone, if so apologies.

@Fresh Bread - it would be great if you can come! But I'm also happy to meetup somewhere warmer in NSW!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 05:37:27 AM »
Thanks for the additions @happy :)

And yes, I'm also keen for a warmer/closer meet-up, so hopefully @Fresh Bread can make that if you can't make a random trip to Victoria.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 05:42:50 AM »
Rob somebody who lives on dividends lives in Bendigo, doesn't he? Or is it Ballarat?

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 04:50:31 PM »
Thanks for the inclusion.  I will probably be in far north Queensland then however, so will have to be an apology.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 05:16:13 PM »
I can probably pop up for an afternoon or so, don't have any July plans yet, but who knows what will pop up.

@GT may also be keen.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 05:25:20 PM »
Rob somebody who lives on dividends lives in Bendigo, doesn't he? Or is it Ballarat?
Ah, yes, the VHY guy! I can't remember his handle and he hasn't posted for a while, maybe someone else will. My subconscious is working on it, maybe it will come to me in a flash!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 07:57:48 PM »
Well I am definitely in: booked accomm in Bendigo and going to the Wool Show on the Saturday (17th). Happy to meet there, or for a meal on the Friday or Saturday night. Thanks so much for organising @mspym.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 08:38:03 PM »
The Wool Show is on the radar for my wife to attend this year after missing out last year and having not been since 2019.  She's been asking if I want to come along this year to check out the non wool stuff, i.e. the sheep.

This Meetup gives me an extra reason to attend.  Now if only we can find someone to look after the kids and the new farm.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 09:04:47 PM »
I've successfully adjusted my return flights/got a room till the 18th and I am looking forward to my first ag-show in decades. @GT what if you left the kids in charge of the farm? They look very responsible. :P

Sounds like the 15th is a good day for anyone who is there earlier - @deborah, @happy and me and then maybe the 17th for anyone who wants to look at sheep/sheepdogs/wool.

EDIT: Bought ticket to the show for the 17th.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 02:12:16 AM by mspym »

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 12:26:09 AM »
Have booked my ticket for the show for the Saturday. All systems go! Sorry I won't see everyone else, but if there is a warmer climate catchup in the future I am always up for a road trip!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 01:53:06 AM »
pinging @Rob_S , will also pm.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 02:06:40 AM »
We're working on being there the morning of the 16th, all day at the show for Friday, stay Bendigo Fri night, Meetup Saturday, dinner and stay in Daylesford Sat night, home via the city on Sunday.

Malee55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 09:07:36 PM »
I maybe also be able to come. I would love to meet people who are only handles. I live in Melbourne but have the 15th as day off work so will try to sort it out.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 09:53:19 PM »
I maybe also be able to come. I would love to meet people who are only handles. I live in Melbourne but have the 15th as day off work so will try to sort it out.
Sounds great! I was hoping you壇 come!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 04:13:39 AM »
Fingers crossed, despite our recent outbreaks, it looks like this might be able to go ahead. Victoria is coming out of lockdown (so everyone from Victoria may be able to come), but part of Greater Sydney is unfortunate. It will be really sad, frustrating and unfortunate if @mspym is unable to come, especially as she is organising it!

As I see it:
I will be there before 14th July - 17th July (currently leaving early that day) - I don't have lockdown problems - fingers crossed, this continues.
@happy  14th July - 16th July (lunchtime) - probably.
@Malee55  15th July
@GT  early 16th - 17th (late)
@lazycow  late 16th - 17th (late)
@Fresh Bread , @LonerMatt  thought they may come, so are possibilities - I don't think either of them have lockdown issues currently.
Hopefully, @mspym  before 14th - 17th (lunchtime) - possibly.

@middo  are you still going to northern Queensland?

It appears to me that dinner on Friday 16th is the best chance for most of us to see each other together, or early at the show on Friday morning when happy will still be around, but that we can arrange to see each other at other times.

I will be in the area over the coming days from tomorrow, so if anyone wants me to look into booking anything, I should be able to do it. I don't have much idea as to where to have a dinner together, because most of the times I've dined in Bendigo it's been more upmarket, and at this time of year it's too cold to use any of the outdoor bbq areas that I do know of.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 05:12:45 AM »
I could do Saturday or Sunday (unless there's an auction or inspection I have to go to), Friday's probably unlikely but not impossible.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »
I live in a red zone so it looks super unlikely that I will be allowed to travel to Victoria.
"If you are a non-Victorian resident and you have been in a red zone (other than for transit), you cannot obtain a permit and you cannot enter Victoria."

I have until the 8th (i.e. 14 days from today) to start cancelling bookings but suspect Victoria is going to be super cautious (and rightly so) about letting ex-red zone residents travel.

@deborah I'll message you the Mary Quant tickets in case you want to take someone else.

Malee55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 03:52:11 PM »
I have Thursday onwards off so am not fussed what date is chosen.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 04:00:03 PM »
I will be away.  I'm hoping to be in WA for a wedding, but we are waiting on borders.  Otherwise we will swap the tickets and see some snow in NZ.  Sounds a bit over the top when I read it.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 04:07:08 PM »
I will be away.  I'm hoping to be in WA for a wedding, but we are waiting on borders.  Otherwise we will swap the tickets and see some snow in NZ.  Sounds a bit over the top when I read it.
All you have left is Antarctica! (Tasmania is too close)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2021, 01:41:36 AM »
I知 definitely not good at this. The NSW contingent are all in red zones according to Victoria. However, I知 still ok for now.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2021, 08:23:53 PM »
You are doing a great job @deborah! I know how much energy organising get-togethers take.
My plans have changed a bit so won't be free Fri night, but happy to meet whoever is free at the Wool Show on Saturday before 2pm.

Rob_S

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2021, 08:26:04 AM »
Checking in from freezing Ballarat.

Still retired... scrap that, still doing the stay at home dad thing. Retired sounds like we won when really we haven't. My wife does casual work a couple of days a week to keep things ticking over. VHY covers the rest, only the past years dividends have been awful. Such a bad plan, remind me not to declare myself retired right before a pandemic.

I like the idea of lunch on the 14th through to the 16th.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2021, 01:03:38 PM »
We池e in an orange zone in the ACT. Despite not having a locally acquired case for 358 days (diplomats come and go, and occasionally have appeared with covid19, but quarantine at their embassy). If we池e still orange for the show, I won稚 be able to get there. But I値l be there if I can.

It would be wonderful to see everyone!

I致e been thinking about where to meet. If people are meeting at the show, why not at the dog trials stand on the first morning? It痴 fun to watch the novice dogs (they池e on first - the professional ones come later and have developed sheep telepathy) - sometimes the sheep jump the fence and disappear into the arena - and there痴 usually less people around. If we池e meeting for a meal we probably need to book as Bendigo is very busy that weekend.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2021, 08:21:07 PM »
I will *not* be there (thank you red zone) but hope everyone has a blast. I *do* have a ticket for the show on Saturday if anyone wants it. Let me know and I'll DM it.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2021, 08:39:41 PM »
Neither will I, also caught up in the Red Zone of Greater Sydney. I've cancelled my flight. We are COVID free here, and 2 previous case locations have now resolved without any further cases, as far as I am aware. So its a bit frustrating to be locked down, but I guess the gubmint are worried about people who commute to Sydney Proper  for work.

Numbers are stable, but I'm not sure the lockdown will be lifted on July 9. I can't see Victoria giving me green in time :(.

Malee55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2021, 04:24:14 PM »
I am not going to be able to come to Bendigo as I have family dramas happening. Hopefully next time there is a meet up I will be there.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2021, 05:24:34 PM »
@Malee55 I hope your family drama resolves quickly and cleanly.

Since the Sydney lockdown has been extended to the 16th (no real surprise there - Sydney is being a pack of ABSOLUTE NUMPTIES) I am feeling mildly better about having cancelled my tickets. I would have been RURL CROSS if I had cancelled only for the trip to have been possible!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2021, 07:57:25 AM »
Thank you for tagging me happy! I don't have transport so I won't be able to make this one.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2021, 08:52:05 PM »
I知 definitely going to be around. At least for the whole of Friday, and until then (except, I have to see a lawyer at 11am). On Saturday I知 leaving early.

Who else will be at this meetup? Or will it be a one person meetup?

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2021, 01:49:22 AM »
I can't come up Friday, gotta work.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2021, 01:50:17 AM »
I'll be in town around lunch onwards on Friday, hitting up the Wool Show.  Free on Saturday for meeting up with others.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2021, 02:36:18 AM »
With the new Melb Covid cases and a propensity for the Govt to lockdown, we will have to take it 1 day at a time! Hoping for Sat Wool Show meetup but we will see...

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2021, 09:34:14 AM »
It seems to me that lunch Friday is the best for me (say 12:30 or 1pm, as I have to have the 11am appointment with the lawyer), and that @Rob_S and @GT might be there (I can give Gt jars) but no one else, as everyone else is no longer available on Friday.

If things go the way I see them atm, I値l be scampering home over the border immediately after lunch to avoid having to quarantine or isolate in the ACT after I get home.

If I need to isolate after I get home, I might stay for the sheep show on Saturday, because I値l miss the stuff I need to get home on Saturday for. I could then see @lazycow and possibly @LonerMatt . However, I absolutely have to make a dentist appointment I have on Tuesday. If I get home early Sunday, and have to isolate, I can get tested on Sunday, and get the results on Monday, and make the Tuesday appointment. So I need to leave early Saturday afternoon at the absolute latest.

If I would need to quarantine in the ACT I may have to stay for longer and have the dental work started in Victoria before I go home.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2021, 02:48:18 PM »
Keep us updated Deb, but from my end it's quite a small chance I'll be able to come up. My sister's birthday is Monday the 26th and the family are working out which day on the weekend we'll spend time together, so that could easily make it impossible for me to drive up and back.

As much as I'd like to come see you I just am not reliable at the moment, which I know is a bit shit really.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2021, 05:02:04 AM »
Welp, we're out, thanks to the lockdown a d our 5km radius of movement.

The shows been cancelled, our tickets were being refunded this evening according to the email we just got.

Sorry I won't be able to get the jars from you @deborah

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2021, 11:58:20 AM »
Then there were none. It痴 like 10 green bottles hanging on the wall.

I知 now back in the ACT after a second midnight scramble for the border in less than a week.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2021, 02:10:53 PM »
Glad you got home, I was wondering if you basically just had to turn around, what a mess for you Deb.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2021, 06:05:29 AM »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2021, 01:04:42 PM »
And goats.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2021, 04:46:20 PM »
And goats.
The goats will be fine.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2021, 10:40:53 PM »
Such a shame we get an automatic refund and  can't donate our ticket $ back. I asked the lovely woman who organised the whole thing and she said my request made her cry. And then I cried.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2022, 03:22:19 PM »
I have not given up.

This year, the Australian National Sheep and Wool Show is on in Bendigo again. 15th - 17th July.

The largest such show on earth.

Will we meet up there?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2022, 04:10:37 PM »
I should page the following people, since they expressed some interest last time:
@mspym
@happy 
@Malee55 
@GT 
@lazycow
@Fresh Bread
@LonerMatt 
@middo
@Rob_S

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2022, 04:15:02 PM »
I do believe it is our intention to make it to Bendigo this year for the wool show.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2022, 04:22:07 PM »
Thanks for the ping, I think this sounds good.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2022, 07:18:21 PM »
That ping didn't ping me but here I am anyway so all good.

Would anyone fancy the Elvis exhibition while they are in Bendigo?  It's not something I'd travel for but if I'm there I'd stick my head in and have a nose.