Author Topic: Baltimore  (Read 33774 times)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
Baltimore
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »
I know there is an existing DC area thread, but since that is still a bit of a hike from Baltimore City I thought I'd start a thread for people in the area to identify themselves, exchange ideas/complaints/praises, and maybe arrange a fun meet-up of some kind.

MJT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »
My wife and I live in Baltimore City and would be interested in a meetup.  Perhaps as the weather begins to get warmer we could plan a meetup at a park.  We are game for anything, though.  As far as ideas/complaints/praises, I would be interested to know if anyone has any suggestions for good biking areas.  I do not find Baltimore to be a very bike friendly city and wonder if anyone knows of any good routes/paths/trails.  Thanks for starting the thread.

Liquor Store Jesus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:06:56 AM »
I am looking to change my job. I have a 55 mile daily commute. A new job closer to me is my preferred option. I live within walking distance of the MARC station running between DC & Baltimore. About me, now I run a Liquor Store and I look like Jesus, hence the user name. I'm responsible for a lot of $ worth of inventory and currency, I don't think this forum is a good place for those specifics. I'm smart, I don't require constant supervision, and I'm posting here( has to be a good sign right). Negatives about me, my resume isn't very impressive looking and no college degree.

rollingstone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:09:48 AM »
I live and work in Baltimore and would love to meet other Mustachians. Do you have some dates in mind?

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:48:39 AM »
I live over here on the rural eastern shore of MD. Baltimore would be about the same distance as DC to me I think.
Anyone know of anything going on in Easton, Cambridge? Annapolis?

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »
My wife and I live in Baltimore City and would be interested in a meetup.  Perhaps as the weather begins to get warmer we could plan a meetup at a park.  We are game for anything, though.  As far as ideas/complaints/praises, I would be interested to know if anyone has any suggestions for good biking areas.  I do not find Baltimore to be a very bike friendly city and wonder if anyone knows of any good routes/paths/trails.  Thanks for starting the thread.

I just wanted to say that I'm from Baltimore and this thread makes me miss it! MJT, if you are looking for a good bike trail for recreational riding, try the Gwynns Falls Trail. It starts in Washington Village and runs all the way out to Baltimore County. The Jones Falls Trail is another good option if you are looking for routes north/south through the central arteries of the City.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
    • Financial Literacy Conversations
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »
I just joined the community, and live just northeast of Baltimore city.  Any interest in a meet up of like minded mustachians?

nylorac087

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 09:20:24 PM »
My husband and I just moved to Baltimore, and we'd love to meet some mustachians! Did the proposed gathering ever happen? Would anybody be up for meeting sometime in the middle of January? It might be a bit cold for an outdoor gathering, but there's a new tavern in Mt. Vernon with 92 cent drinks during Happy Hour...

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 05:46:51 AM »
Or we could find a BYOB place and save even more money!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 02:58:13 PM »
Or we could find a BYOB place and save even more money!

Unfortunately I'm not in the area anymore, but if you are looking for a suggestion of a good BYOB place I suggest Iggies
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:35:03 PM by CanuckExpat »

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 06:06:38 AM »
Iggie's link did not work.  Urban Spoon says on the west side, a BYOB place is the Chesapeake Gourmet. but my search has found this place is not in/near Baltimore. 

On the north: http://www.goszechuanhouse.com/menu.asp

I have not called either place to confirm BYOB, I will try and accomplish that this weekend.  See Results in next post.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:23:33 AM by Bbqmustache »

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 09:22:04 AM »
Update:  It is the Catonsville Gourmet on the west side http://www.catonsvillegourmet.com/index.php

Just called them, and they are BYOB

Chesapeake Gourmet not in Baltimore

Szechuan House north of Baltimore is also a confirmed BYOB.

Is it time to talk dates yet?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »
Iggie's link did not work...
My bad, I fixed the link to Iggies

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 03:34:28 AM »
Thanks for fixing the link, I will call to confirm their BYOB policy today or tomorrow.  Being where Iggies is, do you remember if there is free parking there?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 12:30:07 PM »
Being where Iggies is, do you remember if there is free parking there?

There would be street parking for free, but finding a spot could be hit or miss

IronMuleRN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 12:59:31 PM »

Hello MJT.  How has your first year or so in Baltimore gone?  Not sure how much luck you had with finding nice biking but if you're up for longer rides (2 hours and more), Baltimore has fantastic riding.  I would highly recommend finding a good/safe route to Falls Road, head north until you get to Hillside and take a Left.  That is the jumping off point for dozens of rides of various lengths, all in a beautiful and rural setting.  It is surprising how much natural beauty is only a moderate ride away from downtown Baltimore City. 

On another note - have there been any Baltimore City Mustachian meetups to this point?  With the recent "blizzard" I imagine it will be a while before one could be feasible, just curious if anyone had any luck meeting up and/or would be interested in a meet when the weather warms a bit?

Happy stubble growth to all!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:06:27 PM by IronMule »

freeazabird

• Stubble
    • Bmore Bungalow
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 12:19:13 AM »
Hi. Now that the weather is warmer I was wondering if any Baltimore folks would like to get together? My husband and I are looking to meet more like-minded people.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 06:23:03 AM »
Every weekend in May is booked for us, although the first Saturday (May 3rd) we might have some time.  We are northeast of Baltimore, but where I live I can throw a rock in two different directions and hit cars parked in the city.  (Not saying at all that I would ever do that).

nylorac087

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 07:06:58 PM »
How about June 7th? Did the meet-up at Iggie's ever happen? If the weather is nice, we could meet at a park for a picnic or whatnot.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
I just moved to Baltimore at the end of April. It would be great to meet some mustachians in the city. I live/work downtown. 

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 09:54:26 AM »
Iggie's never happened, as far as I know.  June 7th is open for us right now.  As our belt tightening has us not going to bars or restaurants right now, I can't recommend a place.  Maybe Mission BBQ on Joppa Rd? http://mission-bbq.com/?

Albie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 07:50:27 PM »
You know, First Thursdays at Canton Waterfront Park is  kinda fun. Great music. And free. There's one coming up on June 5th

nylorac087

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »
First Thursday, June 6th, sounds great to us. Anybody else?

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 07:00:25 AM »
What about parking?  Alcoholic beverages allowed?  My calendar looks clear, only thing I have on for that day is to call the mortgage company to revise my escrow payment down.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 07:10:49 AM »
Well, I answered my own question.  No bring in alcohol, but beer being sold by the Brewers Art.  And on June 5th, the lead music act is Los Lonely Boys!    Here's the link to lots of info  http://wtmd.org/radio/first-thursday-concerts-in-the-park/#

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »
I will definitely go to the canton waterfront park on June 5. How will I find other mustachians?

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 06:00:22 AM »
I will definitely go to the canton waterfront park on June 5. How will I find other mustachians?

Hmm.  Everybody wear big fake handlebar mustaches?

How about we do two things.  Look at the park map and decide on a meetup point and time, and two, plan what shirt/blouse to wear and post it here a day or so before the event. 

I don't want to be looking like one of those forlorn drivers at the airport, holding up a handwritten sign on white cardboard. 

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 10:06:06 PM »
My fiance will be wearing a "respect the stache" black t-shirt. He is tall and easier to find in a crowd. Let us know where to meet up when at the venue. We have never been to Canton before.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »
OK.  Got the "where" down.  Meetup by the water taxi dock. The when and what I'll be wearing to come.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 07:57:55 AM »
Sadly, I cannot attend this coming's Thursday Night out in Baltimore at the Canton Waterfront Park.  A severely sprained ankle will not let me stand for long periods of time.   Next concert in the Canton Waterfront Park I plan to attend is on Thursday, August 7th with J.D. McPherson headlining.

I will also be attending the brewfest in Gettysburg on August 23rd.  Yeah, it's not in Baltimore, but an hour northwest.  Here's the link:  http://gettysburgbrewfest.com/

Sorry!

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »
Took a few too many wrong turns. HERE now by water taxi sign. Hispanic female and blond guy in black mustache tee.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 04:42:50 AM »
I hope there was a meetup last night.  I should be out of the pressure boot in a couple weeks.  Turned out to be nice weather, that lineup sounded great, and the beer there is some of the best made in Baltimore.

curlycue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 12:08:50 PM »
I will be moving to Baltimore in August and hope to meet some of you.

In the mean time I just spent a week looking for affordable housing for me and one other roommate with transportation accessible to Hopkins. So far no luck.

If anyone knows of any leads, please pm me. I would greatly appreciate it!

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2014, 05:49:18 AM »
Define affordable, and I will see what I can find. 

Lots of bus routes will get you to Hopkins, head to the MTA website, and use the route resources to expand your geographic search.  http://mta.maryland.gov/local-bus  Most neighborhoods immediately around Hopkins that are not "gentrified" (made too expensive) are not places you'd want to hang your hat.

lkrosales

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2014, 09:05:56 PM »
Hey Curlycue!

I actually am at the School of Nursing currently and live just two blocks away.  I wouldn't let people scare you away from living in non"gentrified" areas. Just because people are not wealthy doesn't make them criminals.  Of course we're all coming from different backgrounds, but if you have any city smarts at all theres some great opportunity in this neighborhood.  I've been able to live in a cute clean row house with roommates for the past year for $400/month.  My low cost of living has allowed me to SAVE. Whit all the money I saved on rent I was just able to close on my very first house that I will be able to rent out to roommates (still in walking distance!) The key is to be close enough to the hospital so that you benefit from the presence of the Hopkins security force. In that magic zone the crime rate is actually lower than other wealthier ares but the rent is a fraction.  I have to say I prefer living here even though its not as "pretty" as some more expensive areas.  Neighbors still talk to each other and say good morning everyday, kids play in streets after school, I get to street park right in front of my door, and I can wake up 10 mins before class starts!

PM me if you're interested in renting the house I'm moving out of :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:07:39 PM by lkrosales »

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014, 05:15:50 AM »
Hey Curlycue!

The key is to be close enough to the hospital so that you benefit from the presence of the Hopkins security force. In that magic zone the crime rate is actually lower than other wealthier ares but the rent is a fraction.  I have to say I prefer living here even though its not as "pretty" as some more expensive areas.  Neighbors still talk to each other and say good morning everyday, kids play in streets after school, I get to street park right in front of my door, and I can wake up 10 mins before class starts!

Great information!  I had no idea that the Hopkins security force had that large of an umbrella of coverage.  Thanks for posting!

curlycue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, and sorry for my delayed response, I've been traveling and haven't had technology for a few days.

I'm hoping to rent in the $400 range, $500 max. I pay less in NYC so I feel Baltimore should be comparable. Plus, if about $900 gets you those fancy apartments with all the amenities, I feel like a room in a row home should be much cheaper.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 04:29:53 AM »
Plus, if about $900 gets you those fancy apartments with all the amenities, I feel like a room in a row home should be much cheaper.

Or a $900 a month row home only runs $450 if you have a roommate.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 11:09:35 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, and sorry for my delayed response, I've been traveling and haven't had technology for a few days.

I'm hoping to rent in the $400 range, $500 max. I pay less in NYC so I feel Baltimore should be comparable. Plus, if about $900 gets you those fancy apartments with all the amenities, I feel like a room in a row home should be much cheaper.

When you say you want to be near Hopkins, does that mean the Homewood campus or the Medical campus?
BTW, how do you pay less than $500 in NYC, is that in Manhattan? I think Baltimore is more affordable than NYC, but that seems low..

curlycue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2014, 08:07:06 AM »
I'll be at the medical campus.

As for NYC - I share an apartment with others, so that cuts down on my cost. I'm in Harlem, which is cheaper than Midtown, SOHO, etc., though technically still Manhattan.

curlycue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »
Hey Curlycue!

I actually am at the School of Nursing currently and live just two blocks away.  I wouldn't let people scare you away from living in non"gentrified" areas. Just because people are not wealthy doesn't make them criminals.  Of course we're all coming from different backgrounds, but if you have any city smarts at all theres some great opportunity in this neighborhood.  I've been able to live in a cute clean row house with roommates for the past year for $400/month.  My low cost of living has allowed me to SAVE. Whit all the money I saved on rent I was just able to close on my very first house that I will be able to rent out to roommates (still in walking distance!) The key is to be close enough to the hospital so that you benefit from the presence of the Hopkins security force. In that magic zone the crime rate is actually lower than other wealthier ares but the rent is a fraction.  I have to say I prefer living here even though its not as "pretty" as some more expensive areas.  Neighbors still talk to each other and say good morning everyday, kids play in streets after school, I get to street park right in front of my door, and I can wake up 10 mins before class starts!

I PMed you - is the house still available? Thanks!

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »
OK, August 7th is fast approaching.  Barring another sprained ankle, we will be attending the First Thursday In The Park concert at the Canton Waterfront Park.  Free concert includes:

Moon Taxi
The Whigs
JD McPherson

Can this be a meetup?
http://wtmd.org/radio/first-thursday-concerts-in-the-park/

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2014, 06:02:24 PM »
Matsuri is that night and Otakon badge pick up, so my fiance and I cannot go this time. :) Enjoy the concert, June's was terrific!

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
http://www.godowntownbaltimore.com/events/default.aspx?eid=56687E6D-81F0-E111-9DAA-000C29CAA908

Wanted to recommend Pints in The Park.
Center Plaza is located at the corner of Fayette and N. Charles Streets in the Charles Center neighborhood.
May 8th is the first one of the season. It runs until October. They tend to be very fun.

Any Baltimore mustaches interested in a meet up???

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2015, 05:45:47 AM »
Pints in the park could be nice!  May 8th I am out of state on business.  Other dates so far are clear, so they are in our calendar.  As dates get firmed up, lets coordinate.  Thanks for posting, SuperSaver!

silente

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2015, 06:52:18 AM »
We are new to the Mustachian Way of Life and are still learning.  Would love to meet others in the area.  We are in Pasadena (near Glen Burnie and Annapolis).  Unfortunately we will still be out of town on the 8th but please keep us posted on any other gatherings.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2016, 11:07:25 AM »
*Bumping*

Pint in the Park and Farmer's Market season are coming.
Currently there is: http://lightcity.org/schedule/  Light City Baltimore is fun. I was at Monday's events.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2016, 03:46:46 AM »
Taking a fellow employee partway home this week, we went down Pratt street and saw some of the Light City event as we waited in traffic.

divertida9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2016, 12:56:42 PM »
Hi everyone! I've just moved to Baltimore city and looking to make some mustashian friends in the area. I'm in south hampden. :)

l1mab3an

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2017, 05:10:50 PM »
In Canton, would love to meet up.