Author Topic: Anyone in PEI?  (Read 4042 times)

MoonPilgrim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone in PEI?
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »
Hi, there!  I'm planning a trip to Prince Edward Island this year, and was wondering if there are any Mustachians in the area.  I'm looking for recommendations for reasonable accommodations, hole-in-the-wall dining experiences, and any other helpful hints about what to do and what to avoid.  I'm a HUGE L.M. Montgomery fan (everything, not just the Anne books), and I've always wanted to see the places that inspired her work.

Thanks in advance!

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Anyone in PEI?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:46:33 PM »
I don't live in PEI, but I've been there.  The Anne of Green Gables park is fun for an afternoon, and reasonably priced (I think it was under $50 for both DH and I).

I found even the good restaurants to be very reasonably-priced, compared to what I'm used to paying in Calgary.  The ferry is expensive, but you only pay to leave the island (going onto it is free, either by the bridge or by the ferry).  For $50, we had dinner, shared a dessert, and a flight of microbrew taster beers.  I think this was the place we ate:

http://www.gahan.ca

The beer was very good!

There is another poster here, who owns a retirement property on the island, so I'll send her a message to come over here and give her, more frugal, advice :)

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
Thanks, Self-Employed SWAMI for sending me the link.  :)

I have a travel trailer at Sunset Campground in Cavendish just down the road from the Anne of Green Gables house.  I am not too familiar with places down east or up west on the island, but we have our favourites on the north shore.

Camping is definitely the cheapest way to go in that tourist hotspot, and the camping at the National Park is the cheapest from what I understand.

Green Gables itself is fairly inexpensive and there are tours.  Just don't agree to paying to see where LM Montgomery grew up.  What they don't tell you is that the farmhouse was pulled down in the 30's and all that is left there now is the foundation.  There are nice walking trails on the property.  I also spend a lot of time on the walking and cycling trails at the National Park and there is a perfect spot on New London Bay.

Be sure to check out the Cavendish Post Office which is really a small free museum and showcases many items from LM Montgomery's life. 

There is a big seafood restaurant in nearby North Rustico, and Carr's Oyster bar in Stanley Bridge.  My favourite restaurant there is Chez Yvonne in Cavendish which has a delicious turkey dinner on Sundays and the best raspberry cream pie you've ever tasted.  Also, there is this fabulous home bakery run by a lady named Mary on route 6 near North Rustico.  It's inexpensive and she is such a great baker.  I'll have to see if I can find the street address.  There is also a really good bakery/restaurant in Hunter River.  I think it's called By the River Cafe.

There are twice a week Ceilidhs at a community centre in Stanley Bridge which are inexpensive and give a good idea of the island music and fiddling traditions.

I haven't done this yet, but I plan to go one Sunday to the Cavendish United Church and take in a service.  That's the same church where Montgomery's husband was a minister. 

Montgomery was born in New London and the house where she was born is an historical site, but I haven't been there so can't comment on what it's like.  I've driven past.  It's cute.  Apparently New London was the community she based Glen St. Mary
on.  Be sure to check out French River for some really beautiful views...although the whole island is beautiful.

Definitely check out the Confederation Trail for cycling.  Also, there is a long bike trail along the north shore from Cavendish to North Rustico.

Cavendish Tourist Mart isn't bad for groceries, but it is cheaper to do big grocery shops in Charlottetown or Summerside.

I'm there from July 1st until sometime in August if you'd like to meet up. 

Hope

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 05:54:51 AM »
Hi there,

When in PEI you should absolutely head to the Souris area and take the ferry to the Magdalen Islands. If beach time and getting away from it all is on your to do list then this is the place to be. Camping and B&B is the way to go. Enjoy. Also,  I would skip the Anne of Green Gables stuff. I find it boring though I loved the books as a child. If you have a child who has read the books with you then by all means encourage reading and go. Cavendish is the tourist beach. Check the map, Information places or ask locals for their favorite beach. Locals don't go to Cavendish and why should they when they can go to an equally beautiful beach without the crowds. PEI is flat so is great for biking. They have a lot of trails so you don't need to be on the roads. Rentals are available. Also, you may want to spend some time in New Brunswick & Nova Scotia coming and going from the Island. The french coast of NB by Caraquette is lovely and has some of the warmest waters north of New Orleans - Baie des Chaleurs. You will love the Acadian colour of houses and traditions. Acadians have a totally different french heritage from our Quebec brother and sisters. They have a lovely historical village in the area. I would do it for the money rather than Green Gables if you are watching where you spend your money. And I know you are!! Shediac beach area is not too far from the PEI bridge so you may go there. How about taking the bridge to PEI from NB and then the ferry to NS- do the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton? It makes a lovely circle though it all depends on how much time you have and how many miles/km you want to do.  You pay one price to get on and off the Island no matter how you travel. When in the Maritimes check out local papers, bulletin boards and the like and watch for community meals- they will include breakfasts as well as dinners. They could be at church hallls, firehalls, community centers. They are everywhere in the summer and are a big fundraiser. They can be eggs to lobster meals... usually home made mostly and a great way to sit at a table with locals and chat and share some laughs. Have fun. Hope

Hope

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 06:01:44 AM »
Sorry MP I just re-read your post and see that you are indeed a big Anne fan. I did not mean to offend or suggest Anne was just for children. Forgive me. We all love what we love. By all means then go do all the GG visit stuff. In Charlottetown they also traditionally have a musical play of Anne so you might want to look into that. Just be aware that the Island is full of Anne tourist traps and everyone will want you to buy something Anne from hair/hats to dishes to...whatever. Be prepared especially since you are a great fan and figure out before hand how you will deal with all of the temptations. Plan your indulgence before hand. Like a true Mustachian. Have fun.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 06:38:08 AM »
At the Anne park, they have dress-up clothes that you can put on, and take pictures of yourself with your own camera.  They have the hats with the braids, and all the clothes.  I enjoyed it, and you don't need to buy anything, beyond admission.

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 08:56:25 AM »
Islander here!

Hmm, kinda hard hard for me to give some Moustachian advice as I'm only just starting down that road.

You could try this forum, the community there may be able to help you.

http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/

Then there's the tourism website.

http://www.tourismpei.com/index.php3

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 06:35:40 AM »
Last night I visited the Trailside Cafe & Inn to see a performance by Craig Cardiff.  While I haven't tried the food (reviews have beed good) I can say the atmosphere of the place is perfect.  It's  a nice cozy experience where you can get up an close with the musicians.  Check it out, I'm definitely visiting again.

http://trailside.ca/

109 Main St.
Mount Stewart, PE

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!