Author Topic: Anyone in Indiana?  (Read 39759 times)

Chillaximus Prime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Anyone in Indiana?
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2017, 08:01:59 AM »
Hi Diva, I also just joined for the first time so I could attend the meet-up this evening. Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2017, 08:17:20 AM »
Hi Diva, I also just joined for the first time so I could attend the meet-up this evening. Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight!

Yes, we are on for tonight!

Diva mentioned that there are two areas within Oaken Barrel, the main bar, then a side bar area off to the right as you enter.  I'll get there around 5:15 and try to get us a spot in the side bar, since she said it's a little more private.

Those of you attending have my #, so feel free to text or call when you arrive so we can identify each other!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2017, 06:15:50 AM »
We had a great meet up at Oaken Barrel last night!

Thank you to Chili-P, Dollar Diva, & Mickey for making it.  We'll definitely have another in the near future.  Hopefully Spara can make it next time.

About a next meet up, I would be up for going somewhere in Fountain Square, or Downtown, for a more central location.  Perhaps Tappers, the arcade/bar?  Please offer up any suggestions!

Chillaximus Prime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »
Definitely enjoyed meeting everyone! I've heard that St. Joseph Brewery & Public House is also a cool venue. Hope to make it to the next one, with even more folks there!

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2017, 07:46:32 AM »
I also had a good time!  Let's plan something again in early Spring?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2017, 07:51:49 AM »
Hour north of Indy.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2017, 06:11:58 AM »
I also had a good time!  Let's plan something again in early Spring?

I was thinking March.  How about March 6th?

Definitely enjoyed meeting everyone! I've heard that St. Joseph Brewery & Public House is also a cool venue. Hope to make it to the next one, with even more folks there!

I like the sound of that.  I hope we can get a couple of extra people to show up next time too!

Now we have a date and a venue.  Let me know if another day works better for anyone, but this is fine for me.

Chillaximus Prime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2017, 09:37:28 AM »
March 6th at St. Joseph Brewery & Public House works well for me! Maybe we make it 6:30 this time since it's in downtown Indy? I know traffic can be a real bear from about 4:30-6:00 and some folks will have a little more travel time than our last meetup.

toppdealer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE'd at 32. Husband and Father.
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2017, 10:37:51 AM »
I could do 3-6 as well. Looking forward to the details.

Mrtreasuretoupee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2017, 02:46:18 AM »
I'm fairly new here and live in the Lafayette area. Would love to talk strategy over a beverage. :)  non alcoholic drink for me though.

Hoosier Daddy

• Stubble
  • Indiana Hoosiers: 5 Banners and counting
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2017, 04:23:02 AM »
I just saw the post about Greenwood meetup and missed it dang! Lots of people in Bloomington, Columbus and Seymour here... maybe do a meetup in Columbus or Bloomington sometime?

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »
I just saw the post about Greenwood meetup and missed it dang! Lots of people in Bloomington, Columbus and Seymour here... maybe do a meetup in Columbus or Bloomington sometime?

I could go for a Columbus or Bloomington meetup at some point.  Let's plan on this March 6th at St. Joes Brewery in Indy.  Then we can do one of the others in... late April?

Dollar Diva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »
Vindicated-->I'm a little belated in thanking you for organizing our last meet-up so---THANK YOU!

I'll see you (and hopefully lots of others) on March 6th at 6:30 pm, St. Joseph's! It's a great central location with wonderful ambience. (Good call Chillaximus Prime)

MightyAl

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »

In a couple months Nashville would be nice.  It would be neat to meet a few mustachians.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »

In a couple months Nashville would be nice.  It would be neat to meet a few mustachians.

Franklin might be good compromise.  Nashville would be a bit far for me.  Of course you're welcome to make the drive to downtown on March 6th, but I know that's a long trek if you're coming from Nashville.

If one of you in that area put together a Saturday or Sunday cookout type thing, I'd be interested in making the drive then!

MightyAl

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2017, 06:04:47 AM »
I have 4 acres and a brick pizza oven. Always itching for a reason to fire it up.

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2017, 07:18:57 AM »
I have 4 acres and a brick pizza oven. Always itching for a reason to fire it up.

This sounds like a summer meet up if I've ever heard one!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »

This sounds like a summer meet up if I've ever heard one!

I'm up for that!  Just pick the date, Al!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2017, 10:07:38 AM »
Posting because our next meet up is coming up soon!

Monday, March 6th, 6:30pm @ St. Joseph's Brewery!

Anyone that's been there, do we need a reservation?  I wouldn't think so, but if we get a good sized group, the hosts might appreciate it.

Dollar Diva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2017, 07:52:09 AM »
Vindicated, I see a bit of a snag, St. Joseph's is closed on Mondays. How about moving a few blocks down to either 9 Irish Brothers or the Rathkeller?

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2017, 08:00:52 AM »
Vindicated, I see a bit of a snag, St. Joseph's is closed on Mondays. How about moving a few blocks down to either 9 Irish Brothers or the Rathkeller?

Good catch!  I wasn't aware of that.

I'm good with 9 Irish Brothers or Rathskeller.  You pick which one you'd prefer, and that'll be the new location!

Still 6:30pm next Monday the 6th.

pianomom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »
My husband and I will try to make it on Monday.

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »
Wow time flies... I will be there!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2017, 06:07:28 AM »
I'm going to make the executive decision to make this location the Rathskeller, since St. Joes is closed Monday.

If you didn't attend last time and/or don't have my phone number, PM me your number and I'll text you so you have mine.

Dollar Diva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2017, 08:01:11 AM »
I look forward to seeing you all at the Rathskeller Monday!

pianomom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2017, 04:17:42 PM »
Updated to say we won't be making it because our babysitter fell through due to it being a school night. Perhaps another time. Enjoy!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2017, 07:10:21 AM »
Bummer, Pianomom! 

How old are the kids?  Rathskeller is family friendly.  They might learn something :)

toppdealer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE'd at 32. Husband and Father.
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2017, 07:28:17 PM »
Bummed I missed this one. How did it go? Looking forward to the next! Thx!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2017, 06:09:33 AM »
Another successful MMM gathering!

Thanks to MickeyMustache, Dollardiva, Chillaximus Prime, and the two new additions who don't have forum accounts yet!

There was some discussion of a next meeting.  I believe Chillaximus will post details.

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »

It was a good time, our first meeting had 4 attendees, last night's had 6, and the next will hopefully have more! 

Also, that Hotwurst plate was amazing...

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2017, 09:01:31 AM »

It was a good time, our first meeting had 4 attendees, last night's had 6, and the next will hopefully have more! 

Also, that Hotwurst plate was amazing...

Absolutely.  Great suggestion Diva!

Mickey, I just now realized there is an "o" in your name.  Found a forum avatar for you...

Chillaximus Prime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2017, 02:48:25 PM »
Glad to report back on another successful meetup of the Indiana Council of Moustache! A wide-ranging assortment of libations, conversational topics, & Hotwurst were enjoyed by all. Our next meetup is planned for Thursday, April 6th at the New Day Craft Cider & Meadery, at the intersection of Prospect & Shelby street on the southeast side of Indy. Full details of the meetup can be found below. Looking forward to seeing our now-regulars again, as well as plenty of new faces!

Date:
Thursday, April 6th

Time:
6:30PM EST

1102 Prospect St.
Indianapolis, IN 46203

I believe our very own Dollar Diva made the excellent suggestion that we come up with a few topics of discussion prior to this next meetup so folks could ponder & have their thoughts in order when we arrive for our next soiree. So I'll now leave that question open to the thread. What are some topics that've been bouncing around inside your hat-rack that you'd now like to bounce off of our attendees next month? In the spirit of gamesmanship, I'll go first with the suggestion of bike-sharing & making Indianapolis even more bike friendly. Let's hear yours in the thread below!

See you next month folks!
- Chilly P

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2017, 02:58:28 PM »
Glad to report back on another successful meetup of the Indiana Council of Moustache! A wide-ranging assortment of libations, conversational topics, & Hotwurst were enjoyed by all. Our next meetup is planned for Thursday, April 6th at the New Day Craft Cider & Meadery, at the intersection of Prospect & Shelby street on the southeast side of Indy. Full details of the meetup can be found below. Looking forward to seeing our now-regulars again, as well as plenty of new faces!

Date:
Thursday, April 6th

Time:

1102 Prospect St.
Indianapolis, IN 46203

I believe our very own Dollar Diva made the excellent suggestion that we come up with a few topics of discussion prior to this next meetup so folks could ponder & have their thoughts in order when we arrive for our next soiree. So I'll now leave that question open to the thread. What are some topics that've been bouncing around inside your hat-rack that you'd now like to bounce off of our attendees next month? In the spirit of gamesmanship, I'll go first with the suggestion of bike-sharing & making Indianapolis even more bike friendly. Let's hear yours in the thread below!

See you next month folks!
- Chilly P

Sounds great!

I believe I have a topic that ties in nicely to yours.  I have been considering living locations for bike/walk-ability for a few months now.  Therefore, I approve of your suggestion, and would like to expand it to include "Which locations in the greater Indianapolis area provide the best Mustachian lifestyle options?"

cheaphiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2017, 08:23:26 AM »
Well I made an account thanks to Chili-P. It was good to meet y'all at the last meetup and I'll see you at New Day.

The main topic I have is travel.

I'm finishing my graduate programs (MBA and MS in Geology) in December and am trying to figure out what I want to do next. I love the West and miss living near national parks and mountains but all my friends have moved to Cincinnati. So trying to decide if people + travel is better than just being a few minutes away from the places I want to hike. If I can cheaply get West when I want then the COL in Cincinnati might make it worthwhile.

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »
Sounds good, I will most likely be there... I just realized I have to go to Chicago for work Sunday-Tuesday so we'll see if the wife is maintaining sanity with the kids well enough to handle another night.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2017, 09:08:30 AM »
Well I made an account thanks to Chili-P. It was good to meet y'all at the last meetup and I'll see you at New Day.

The main topic I have is travel.

I'm finishing my graduate programs (MBA and MS in Geology) in December and am trying to figure out what I want to do next. I love the West and miss living near national parks and mountains but all my friends have moved to Cincinnati. So trying to decide if people + travel is better than just being a few minutes away from the places I want to hike. If I can cheaply get West when I want then the COL in Cincinnati might make it worthwhile.

Glad you joined up!

About your living location, opinions are opinions and all that, but I'll share my thoughts.

I live ~10 minutes from my parent's*, and it's so amazing to have them available for baby sitting, or dinners, or whatever other family gathering.  They watch my Son at least once a week, and sometimes over nights.  Many of my best friends are in Indy, or ~1 hour away.  I couldn't imagine going somewhere else**.

One of my best friends has lived in Chicago for the last 7 years, but his parents are in Indiana.  He now has two little daughters, and he is moving back to Indiana to be closer to friends and family, and he is enthusiastic about making the move closer to what he considers "home".

* Of course, some people are happiest away from their parents, and that's OK too.
** If you're passionate about trails and hiking, Brown County & Turkey Run aren't far.  Eagle Creek State Park is close and nice.

Dollar Diva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2017, 12:25:18 PM »

It was nice to meet you Monday night Cheaphiker! My .02 cents is that it doesn't have to be one or the other. I think it mostly depends on where you are in your life-cycle. For Vindicated, it makes sense for he and his wife to be close to family so they can take advantage of childcare, holidays, etc. But if you aren't married with kids, why not spend a few years living in amazing places (not saying this area isn't great, but I, too, love the West), maybe waiting to meet someone special or having kids, before moving back to be close to friends and family.

Our neighbors took this approach and loved their carefree, after college, Chicago days, but once child #2 joined the pack, moved back here to a cheaper COL and lots of family support (childcare, home improvement projects, dog care while traveling). Bonus, our neighbor now telecommutes to his "old" job in Chicago, which makes the move that much less painful. He still has to travel up there occasionally, but it really isn't that big a deal because they have family close by to help out on those weeks. It has become increasingly easier to move to lower COL areas and maintain existing jobs.

Quality of life is something that just can't be cheaply purchased, so decide what matters most to you right now and build your plan around that. If year-around hiking is important, move to where that is a reality-->if your priorities change, you can always move again.

VodkaWater

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2017, 09:59:07 AM »
Hi all! I had found you all on the day of the March meetup so I couldn't attend. I am out of town next week as well but I look forward to making a meet-up hopefully in May or June!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TWoK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2017, 05:40:27 AM »
Originally from Indiana but living in Japan. Maybe I can catch a meetup this summer.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2017, 06:04:47 AM »
I look forward to meeting you both during a June-ish meet up then!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2017, 12:42:54 PM »
Date:
Thursday, April 6th

Time:

1102 Prospect St.
Indianapolis, IN 46203

[/quote]

I look forward to seeing everyone on Thursday!  Hopefully we'll get a good crowd!

If you are coming and don't have my phone number, PM me with your number and I'll text you so we can reach each other. 

Dollar Diva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2017, 05:46:55 PM »
Looking forward to seeing everyone on Thursday!

Thought I'd share this gem in case you missed it: http://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/2017/04/04/broke-ass-guide-indy/99778456/

Chillaximus Prime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »
Looking forward to it folks! See you all tomorrow!

cheaphiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2017, 09:48:42 AM »
I'll be there Thursday, Mead and Money is a good combination.

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »
So this is kind of embarrassing, but I keep forgetting to check this thread for updates. But as happenstance would have it, I was actually on a date at that very Meadery around that time last Thursday! So it was nice to almost meet you all. I'm glad to have been there in person if not in spirit. Hopefully I'll be both in town and aware of the next get-together.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2017, 06:11:47 AM »
So this is kind of embarrassing, but I keep forgetting to check this thread for updates. But as happenstance would have it, I was actually on a date at that very Meadery around that time last Thursday! So it was nice to almost meet you all. I'm glad to have been there in person if not in spirit. Hopefully I'll be both in town and aware of the next get-together.

Hey Spara!

I'll try to remember to shoot you a text next time since I have your number now.

There was some talk of another meet up in May, but I don't remember if a date or location was decided.

Dollar Diva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2017, 03:21:39 PM »
Great Meet-up at New Day Craft!  As always, I learned new things and had a list of things to read by the end of our meet-up.

Our next Meet-up is scheduled for 6 pm, Thursday, May 11th at Oaken Barrel in Greenwood. This (by not so wild coincidence) is also $5 Growler refill night, so if you love micro brewed beer, bring a Growler to take advantage.

We'd love to have an even larger group of knowledge, so if you live close to Indy, consider making the drive, you'll come away smarter I promise!

We're also taking suggested discussion items, so if you have a particular topic you'd like to learn more about or share your personal badassery on, post it here and we'll add it to the list.

Cheers!

cashmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
I missed this one but I'm going to come to the next one hopefully!

cheaphiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2017, 04:39:59 PM »
I'm in for this Thursday! I'll have to remember my growler!

Chillaximus Prime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »
I'm in for Thursday as well!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!