Author Topic: Anyone in Detroit?  (Read 10940 times)

rtatoris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone in Detroit?
« on: July 16, 2015, 02:38:45 PM »
Hi Everyone, new to the forum, wondering if there are any Detroit Mustachians who'd like to meet up.

PencilStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Anyone in Detroit?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:03:36 AM »
Just saw this - I'm near Detroit. Always down to meet other mustachians.

YoungConsultant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 05:46:15 PM »
I'm there too

ceciliakc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 06:10:27 AM »
I'm not too far. In Troy.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 09:16:57 PM »
madison heights here

rtatoris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 07:47:12 AM »
I'm downtown Detroit and new to the forum.  Not sure if this thread is still active but I would love to meet up if any of you are still interested

saveventime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 05:06:11 PM »
I'm probably newer to MMM and Detroit that most here, but I want to see this meet up happen and see other mustachians in the area! I'd prefer a Thurs night, but Fri or Sat works as well, and I would think mid-June would be a good target timeframe. What downtown Detroit spots do you think would be suitable?

Commander Baggins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 12:03:44 PM »
I am in Ann Arbor for now, but moving to Detroit around the end of the month. I would be interested in doing a meetup in mid-June as well!

l2jperry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 06:13:22 PM »
I'm about an hour North of Detroit (Closer to the Port Huron area) but I would also love to meet up with fellow Mustachians!

saveventime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »
I'll just put some different food/location options on the table so everyone can pitch in their two cents, but let me know if there's a better way. I haven't been to any of these, so if you have a preferred spot just add to the list.

a. Tai Fai in Oak Park (near Ferndale)
b. Batch Brewing Company in Corktown
c. El Patio Mexican Restaurant in Troy

I suggest either June 23, 24, or 25 6-9 PM just because those days work for me. Weigh in if any of these food places/dates don't work for you and which you location/date combination you prefer. I'm aiming to have these details set by May 28 and then tally RSVPs. Looking forward to meeting other local mustachians!

P.S. The above food options are rated a single $ on Yelp to please this audience :)

l2jperry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 12:16:03 PM »
I'm on board with any of those dates or any of those places!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 07:39:16 PM »
El Patio Mexican Restaurant in Troy is easy biking distance for me, I might have to pop in you all decide on that. Any of those dates look excellent for me.

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 05:53:17 AM »
Subscribed.  Was thinking of holding an event in Ann Arbor as well.

yodella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 06:07:56 AM »
Any of these dates/places work for me, though El Patio would be first choice.

Picnic in a public park (Kensington? Stony Creek?) is also an even more frugal/Mustachian option.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 10:23:58 AM »
Picnic in a public park (Kensington? Stony Creek?) is also an even more frugal/Mustachian option.
I thought about suggesting that. I'd be open to a pot luck picnic kind of thing too!

saveventime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 12:16:25 PM »
A picnic sounds great. I'll pick a picnic at Stony Creek on June 23rd at 6 PM as the current plan. We can reconsider if weather is an issue. I recall a picnic shelter area on the north side of the lake (the red X on the map). If it's fine with everyone, just bring food/drink for yourself to keep logistics simple for this first time. If anyone else wants to bike in, I usually park at 25 Mile and Shelby to dodge the park fee.

If I'm missing anything, just say so. I'll wear a yellow baseball cap so you can find me and will perk up if I overhear the word "mustache".

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »
Thanks for organizing. I'll be there.

l2jperry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 10:02:28 PM »
I plan on being there!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 03:59:28 AM »
sounds great! I plan on going.

yodella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »
Awesome! Also plan to be there with husband.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 08:02:38 PM »
I'm in the Detroit area too (live on the west side now but used to live right near Stony). I can't make this gathering but would definitely be interested in future ones!

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 05:27:03 AM »
Subscribed.  Was thinking of holding an event in Ann Arbor as well.

New to the forum but not to MMM. I'm in Jackson so Ann Arbor is much closer for me than Detroit, post up if you organize something  and I will try to make it. Thanks!

saveventime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 07:30:18 PM »
With less than 72 hrs to go, the weather looks like it should cooperate. I'm looking forward to sharing advice and stories of frugality - see you all soon!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 08:05:36 AM »
That X on the map looks like it's on Baypointe beach. (just typing that out so you can correct me if I'm wrong, and others can look for the proper signage when they get on the loop.)

l2jperry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
Still plan on being there - it will be my first time there, so it would be nice to know if that is in fact Baypoint Beach area.

Thanks!

l2jperry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 04:08:07 PM »
Here... but don't see anyone, must be in the wrong place!

dbo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 05:33:33 PM »
Farmington/Farmington Hills area checking in...

Looks like I missed the event. How did it go?

saveventime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2016, 08:24:30 PM »
The meet went well - thanks to those who showed! Great to meet others at various stages of FI. And to those in suspense, yes, I did find l2jperry.

I'd like to do another meet during the summer and the picnic idea worked out well. I'll give someone else two weeks to pitch the next spot to meet, otherwise I'll volunteer to schedule again.

dbo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2016, 11:30:28 AM »
I would be in for the next one, schedule and location pending.

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 07:54:28 PM »

Commander Baggins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »
Hi friends! Awesome that you guys set something up last summer. Would anyone be interested in doing another meetup this spring/summer?

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »
I'm planning on putting something together in May.  Date TBD currently.

saveventime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 04:33:59 PM »
I'm booked for May weekends except for the weekend of 20-21, so I'll probably aim to do something in June. Since Bikeguy is based in Ann Arbor, I'll aim for something nearer to the greater Detroit region. If someone else wants to take the reins to setup an event, feel free, otherwise I'll make it happen.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2017, 05:01:57 PM »
I am tentatively interested, and in the detroit suburbs. Tentatively only because my parents may or may not need me for some nursemaid duties if dad has another round of surgeries, and if he doesn't need it, I have elective surgery that I want done in the nearish future. So I may show up, and I may be high on pain killers if I do. :)

katethekitcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 09:04:39 AM »
Hi guys! Late to the party, but I live in Detroit and would love to attend if something gets put together! Did anything ever happen this with? Happy to help coordinate. I travel for work M-Th but am available weekends.

saveventime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2017, 09:59:57 AM »
I want to put together a meetup in July, wherever is convenient within the greater Detroit region. If you're interested, list out the weekends you'd prefer for the event, as well as suggestions for where to meet. Here's when I'd be available:
  • July 15-16
  • July 22-23
  • July 29-30 (I might be busy this weekend, but it's tentative)

Hopefully this gives everyone a sufficient warning. I'm imagining an outdoor picnic like last year at a bike-friendly location! We can prepare a backup option if it's raining.

Commander Baggins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 06:19:34 AM »
Either of the first two weekends are good for me, the 29th does not work. Also, I would prefer Saturday afternoon/evening, as far as time/day of the weekend.

saveventime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
I'm tentatively setting the event for Saturday, July 22nd, so everyone has a full month warning as of today! If you are at least a tentative yes, I'd appreciate if you could post here or send a message, so I have an idea of how many to expect. I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone who can make it!

If anyone has suggestions for locations to meet, feel free to post. Alternatively, message me and I can find an "average" based on where everyone is at. I'm considering Dodge Park (around 18 Mile Rd) or another park thereabouts.

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »
I'm already booked for that day.

saveventime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
I hope everyone is enjoying the summer so far! I'm thinking of shifting the meetup to 11:30 AM this Sunday, July 23rd. I haven't seen a lot of vocal support for the day, but I haven't heard alternatives, so I'll schedule it and see who comes! For whoever is interested, I've got a couple options that you can choose between. Final plan to be decided/announced on Friday evening.

Plan #1: Meet at Eastern Market in Detroit. The street market theme that day is "Black Tattoo Art & Music Festival". After meeting there, we can bike to either the riverfront (shorter) or Belle Isle (longer) with our food to enjoy a picnic.

Plan #2: Meet at Riverbends Park in Shelby Township. There's a bike trail that extends over 10 miles to Lake St. Clair Metropark, as well as the usual park activities (baseball, playground, pavilions, etc.). As with Plan #1, bring your own food for a picnic! One plus is that the bike loop in the park is mostly shaded, and there's both road and mountain biking paths.

Cast your vote and I hope to see you soon! Perhaps I can help with carpooling if that would help anyone - I'm not far from the intersection of 75 and 696.

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 04:34:55 AM »
Busy this Saturday

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 04:35:56 AM »
And Sunday..... 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 10:06:46 PM »
I've been less active on this forum this summer, and am late to seeing this - but up for it if it's at riverbends or dodge park (biking distance from me). I'll pass if it's in Detroit - that's too long a ride for me.

Commander Baggins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2017, 11:16:47 AM »
Hi guys,

I can't make it on Sunday unfortunately. Have fun!

saveventime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »
It might just be Jakejake and me, but I'll still invite anyone interested to Dodge Park starting at 11:30 AM tomorrow (Sunday, July 23rd). I'll be wearing a yellow hat and will respond to the keyword "mustache". I heard Dodge Park is closed and under construction in August, so if that hasn't started yet, it will be nice to enjoy it once more this summer.

I'll check the forum on the day of the event in case anyone posts last minute updates.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2017, 05:36:12 PM »
I'm up for it - but if you want to reschedule for august at riverbends instead, since a few people expressed interest but are busy, I'm cool with that too.

If it is on for tomorrow though we should be more specific about where to meet. Are you planning on being near the entrance by the library (Dodge and Utica?) Or one of the other entrances?

saveventime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »
I dislike backing out of plans at the last minute, but since it was suggested, I've decided to reschedule and will therefore cancel the meet tomorrow (July 23rd). Makes sense to get greater attendance if possible. I'll hold back and see when others are free, since my schedule is relatively open for a few months.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2017, 07:22:25 AM »
Posting so you know I saw this - and you don't have to worry about me going and having a sad party by myself!

rtatoris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »
Hi All, I'm late to this thread but would love to meet up next time there is one.  Anybody up for the end of August?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:54:27 PM by rtatoris »

PencilStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2017, 12:45:42 PM »
I'd be in for something in late August.