Author Topic: Anyone in CT?  (Read 1777 times)

CurranBishop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone in CT?
« on: April 06, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
Hi, I'm in the process of moving to the greater New Haven area and am wondering who's around/what's going on in CT? (I saw a thread of discussion from a couple years ago, but wasn't sure who's still active)

CurranBishop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Anyone in CT?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 03:30:20 PM »
Oops, sorry for the double post - had an internet glitch and didn't see the reply...

nushagak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 06:37:24 AM »
We've moved away, but I suspect there are some other CT-based mustachians still.

justchecking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 01:11:50 PM »
Here in New Haven.  Living the mustachian life and would love to share knowledge and beers.

lchu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 07:03:58 PM »
Also New Haven -- long time lurker on the forums, just getting into posting.

Captain Cactus

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 10:31:58 PM »
Anybody still in CT?  Feel like I'm on an island.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 09:04:14 AM »
Think twice about moving to CT. Very expensive state to live in and Government is out of money: has laid off lots of State workers. State is pretty boring. Lots of fairs all over the place. Free concerts on the greens in certain towns. Farmers markets here and there. Lots of good restaurants scattered in CT. State is pretty boring if you ask me. Guess it depends on what you are into. Weather is ever changing and snow creates challenges in clean up and driving. There has been a mass exodus of people leaving CT and corporations too. Wouldn't recommend coming to CT. I want to move myself but not sure where to go. I hate heat and humidity. Weather patterns seem to be changing all over USA so some warm states are getting snow and ice like never before. Good luck if you move to CT.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »
CT is unfortunately set up as a Utopia for an economic model from 1950. There's a very high amount of wealthy commuter/vacationer/retirees. It's dividing between cities (with mill rates 28-76 and ever-shrinking industry) and Ivy-prep towns with at least 3 each of coffee shops, antique dealers, art galleries, jewelers, and bakeries. Lots of areas with only vacation as an attraction have populations aging out.

Major businesses leaving or downsizing (Aetna, GE, Kimberly Clark) aren't even moving to cheaper locales - they're moving to places with better attitudes about job training and growing business locally (NY, MA). Too many towns designed for anonymous, village-sized retirement and vacation that are fiercely NIMBY. Beautiful hiking trails literally everywhere, but housing starting at 250-450k without the jobs to support it.

International tourists come to watch the leaves change. The state has amazing education, in parts. It also has a big finance industry, especially in Greenwich and Darien. New Haven pizza, great local restaurants and craft breweries, local wine trails, fairs basically everywhere. You can get super cheap housing in a few places (like Winsted and Torrington). There's ocean access, lots of waterfalls and parks, many local theaters. There are country clubs and golf courses everywhere, and more scenic routes than you could track down.

There are like... 5 forum posters. :p
My Marriott referral: 75k pts on 3k spend, with bonuses for adding authorized users.
 https://www.referyourchasecard.com/213/NJJAI9TCQS

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 02:54:35 AM »
Educating kids in CT is very expensive. $18,377 per kid per year! The 4th most expensive state to educate children. http://www.governing.com/gov-data/education-data/state-education-spending-per-pupil-data.html

In the town I live in they closed a school due to less enrollment of children in the system. This is a whole school with all the expenses that go along with it. That left us with 5 schools in the system. Would you believe when they did the school budget for the following year, with one less school, our taxes went UP! Not even one year that we could breathe and have some tax relief. They keep finding things to add so the budget never goes down. This year the budget went up again. We get to vote on it soon.

Georgia is a state that offers tax relief on the school budget to Senior Citizens. Georgia is very tax friendly.

Kimberly Clark will be shuttering some of its facilities. The KC in CT is probably one of the most expensive to run. Time will tell if it stays open. They used to have around 1,300 employees and now down to 350!

justchecking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 12:18:48 PM »
We love Connecticut!  We love it so much that we convinced our families to move here.  The one thing people love to do in CT is complain about the taxes, but what they do not ever mention is all the perks that we get from those taxes.  Our schools are great, libraries are fully stocked, and the universities offer lots of free programs. (All within 2 miles of our affordable home that DW's employer gave us $30,000 to buy)  I think that if you are Mustachian and in Connecticut you have to be crushing it.  We have seen our net worth go up and up here all while seeing our expenses go down and down.  Come to Connecticut! It is the land of plenty, as long as you are disciplined enough to stay away from the excess and consumerism. 

Jim Fiction

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »
I'm in CT as well, specifically New Haven.

New Haven is a neat little city, though I don't know it as well as I would like since I have only been here three years and I work 45 miles away so I don't spend as much time here as I should. Its a very bikeable city, with a sizeable community of cycling commuters, and the city seems to be committed to continuing to improve on the its bike-ability. I don't bike myself (see aforementioned lengthy commute) but perhaps when the inevitable job change eventually comes that could change. Property taxes are high-ish, which is typical of virtually all of Connecticut, but its not as bad as many of the other cities in the state. There are plenty of things to do both in New Haven and the surrounding suburbs.

ChiefMomOfficer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Chief Mom Officer
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 06:53:36 PM »
Seems like everyone here lives near New Haven! Iím in CT but towards the middle of the state. Love visiting New Haven though.
Mother of three boys, breadwinner & sole income earner with a stay at home dad husband. Writes at www.chiefmomofficer.org

Sport014

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 05:25:42 PM »
Lurking CT native here, also in the greater New Haven area, Shelton currently. I'm 34 and with a family of 4. I aspire to live a mustachian lifestyle but am early in my journey. I'd be willing to meet up and share ideas at some point. I could use the inspiration of some other like minded people. :-)