Author Topic: Any Phoenicians here?  (Read 139976 times)

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Any Phoenicians here?
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2015, 11:17:28 PM »
Lainey and I met for coffee at the bakery this morning.  She had a small MMM sign at the table, but no one wandered up to join us.  It was good catching up with her as we hadn't gotten together since I first moved here - we know each other from the SimpleLiving board at http://simplelivingforum.net/ .  So, I'm going to try again.  I will be in the community room at my park from 10am on next month on Sunday, October 25.  We have a full kitchen, a large coffee pot full of hot coffee, a heated (if that matters by then) pool and hot tub, chairs and tables.  I live near Broadway and Lindsey.  Email me for further directions.  The light rail comes as far as Mesa Drive on Main.  We can arrange a shuttle if that helps. 

Don't like the location?  Don't like the date?  Suggest a different one.  Lainey and/or I will probably show up.  Lainey was talking about having a book exchange.  We can talk about other things to try as well.  Between the two of us we will most likely keep trying locations and dates until we get someone else to show up.  :)
So glad the two of you got to meet.
I really wanted to come, but just like you I had thought it was on the Saturday and had planned on that and realized much too late it actually was on Sunday.
I will be out of town on the 25th, so I'll take you up on your offer to suggest another date.
Any chance to meet sometime between the 10th and 22nd October? I will be out of town 23-30 again, sorry!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »
I will be around this weekend, Oct 9/10/11.  If anyone wants to meet at my community room for (free...)coffee or meet any place else, I'm up for it.  If you want to meet me here in Mesa, email me at shadowmoss at gmail dot com and I'll give directions.  As I've said I can offer a heated swimming pool and hot tub as well as a full kitchen and large place to meet in the actual community room.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2015, 07:42:02 PM »
I will be around this weekend, Oct 9/10/11.  If anyone wants to meet at my community room for (free...)coffee or meet any place else, I'm up for it.  If you want to meet me here in Mesa, email me at shadowmoss at gmail dot com and I'll give directions.  As I've said I can offer a heated swimming pool and hot tub as well as a full kitchen and large place to meet in the actual community room.
I'll be back in town this weekend and will be staying with a friend in Mesa, so probably not far away from you (just sold my house this week). Will email you.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2015, 06:04:07 AM »
FrugalZony and I had settled on 11am on Sunday, Oct 11, this Sunday, at my community room.  Again, email me at shadowmoss at gmail dot com and I'll give detailed instructions.  The light rail comes as far as Mesa Drive and I can arrange pickup there if that helps folks from afar to take public transportation.

Bring a swimsuit if you want, there is an outdoor pool and hot tub, coffee, and I'll try to get in some softdrinks. 

peoria

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2015, 10:17:25 AM »
I am fairly new to the forum, and just saw this thread.

I am Northwest Peoria (10 minutes from Lake Pleasant).  Anyone else Westside?

Interested in meeting other mustachians, but cannot do this weekend as I already have plans.
Mesa is also a bit far for me. 

I look forward to the next meetup:)
Biltmore area (that was a previous attempt) is doable for me, I would probably even ride my bike there if it was during the day on a weekend, as it is canal accessible from my area.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2015, 10:48:14 AM »
Pick a day (preferably weekend) and declare a meetup!  :)

peoria

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2015, 01:34:37 PM »
Since a lot of people seem to be along the 51 corridor-

Anyone hike Dreamy draw, Squaw Peak or North mountain?

Now that the weather's getting nicer, we could meet there on a weekend during the day and hike it.
Those that aren't into hiking, we could meet before or after for socializing.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2015, 04:24:42 PM »
I want to thank Shadowmoss for hosting the Meetup today.
It was great meeting you and Lainey!
I think the setup in Shadowmoss's community room is great. Plenty of space and lots of amenities.
If we want to make this a once a month thing, I'd be totally up for it. I know Shadowmoss would be too.

Of course if someone else organises a meeting at a park, now that it's getting cooler, I'll be up for it as well, as long as I am in town.

minimalistmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2015, 10:12:07 PM »
Hey all!  I am in Tucson and would be interested in meeting up!  I'll keep checking this thread for meetup dates.   Nice to see so many AZ mustachians.

geodude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2015, 09:42:32 PM »
Hey everyone. New to the Phoenix area. Would love to drop by the next meetup!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2015, 02:54:03 PM »
I kind of lost energy after the past meetup that Lainey and FrugalZony and I had.  Two folks emailed me after that.  So, pick a weekend and a place.  I'll make it easier and say either my community room, which worked well for the last one, or the bakery in the Biltmore area.  Have a better idea of a place?  Great.  Otherwise, I'll say that other than the first weekend in November I'll be around and we can get together in my community room in Mesa.  I'll be out of town Nov. 5-9.

Lainey had mentioned a book exchange, and brought a couple to the last get together.  I am culling my books and found I think 3 that I'll donate to let others read.  Voluntary Simlicity, Circle of Simplicity, and Don't Sweat the Small things at Work.

Other ideas?  Let's talk.

geodude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »
How's Nov 13th or 14th?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2015, 01:20:04 PM »
Works for me.  Hey, FrugalZony, Lainey, other folks who say they want a meet-up?  What place would be the next thing.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »
Sat. Nov 14th is good for me.  I still work f-t Mon - Friday so weekends or evenings are best.

And since it's getting cooler we don't have to meet indoors, although the Paradise Bakery at 24th & Camelback might still be a good central location, plus it has free parking.

MeFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2015, 12:07:29 PM »
I'd be interested in meeting and talking.  Sat 11/14, late morning/mid day is good for me.
I'm in Tempe/Chandler area.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »
I think shadowmoss is saying it's easier to take turns on these meet-ups, so since we set up two, then for the next one we need someone to pick a place, date and time -

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »
Hi guys,
happy to see so many PHoenicians pop up!
I won't be in town on 14th, but would be available the weekend afterwards
In case you are getting together on 14th, have fun!!

geodude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2015, 01:37:18 AM »
Hey everyone. So, are we still planning on something today?

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2015, 01:32:48 AM »
I will here in Phoenix until the 9th of Dec. If there is something going on between now and then...

I think this is the relevant thread.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »
I'm up for getting together the weekend of Dec 5/6.  Someone chime in on what day and where.  Default is Sunday, Dec. 6 at my community room.  I'm up for whatever wherever else, though.

As I mentioned before, I have 3 books on simplicity I'd like to share (get rid of!), and others may want to bring similar books, etc. to share.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »
I'm up for getting together the weekend of Dec 5/6.  Someone chime in on what day and where.  Default is Sunday, Dec. 6 at my community room.  I'm up for whatever wherever else, though.

As I mentioned before, I have 3 books on simplicity I'd like to share (get rid of!), and others may want to bring similar books, etc. to share.
I would be in for the 6th at your community room Shadow Moss!
Late breakfast / brunch time, pot luck sort of thing?

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2015, 12:32:43 AM »
Dec. 6th will be good for me.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2015, 11:31:31 AM »
Ok, Dec. 6 it is.  Bring something if you want.  We have a full kitchen at the community room.  Email me at shadowmoss at gmail for directions.  I'm in Mesa, pretty easy to find, and not far off a canal if there are those who want to bicycle it that way.  This time I promise coffee.  We have a filtered water station so I can also provide good cold water.  We have a pool (heated) as well but if you bring children please plan to watch them around the pool.

EDITED TO ADD:  Oh, and how about around 11am?  Until?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 11:56:03 AM by shadowmoss »

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
I think Sunday Dec. 6 will work for me too.  I'll bring some eats and a few books for swap/giveaway too.

Lainey

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2015, 06:39:40 AM »
Bumping thread to remind folks that there is a get together on this Sunday, December 6.  Email me for directions, or PM me here.  Meet at 11am.  Bring snacks if you want. I'll have coffee and cold water available.  This is in the community room where I live.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »
What a fun get together!!
Thank you Shadowmoss for hosting!!
It was great meeting everyone!
Really enjoyed hearing all your stories!

drudgep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2015, 10:52:04 PM »
We are in Phoenix as well, and would love an invite next time there is a get together! Hope you all have a merry xmas!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2016, 03:48:36 PM »
Loving the beautiful weather lately!
Anyone up for another meetup anytime soom?
We are busy next weekend, but could make the one after that work if people are interested!
Maybe at a park in a more central location? Or if Shadowmoss is inclined to host again, that would be awesome too!

isellsunshine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2016, 04:16:05 PM »
Newbie here - thanks for the link to this group Zony.

My husband and I would love to join you guys at the next one.
I'd offer our clubhouse as a possible location (it too has a kitchen, etc), however they are remodeling atm.

Standing by...

Susan & Dave

geodude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2016, 04:52:37 PM »
The weekend of the 20th would work for me.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2016, 07:48:01 PM »
Right now I'm open on Sat 2/20, or the following weekend Sat/Sun 2/27 or 2/28.

Lainey

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2016, 12:54:19 PM »
I'm available, as is the community room.  I'm up for going more towards downtown if someone else wants to host.  How do you host a meetup?  Well..  Just say, hey, be at my place <date> and <time> and we'll get together.  Give contact details in whatever method suits your privacy needs.

The 20th works for me, wherever.  As does whatever other weekend date this month.

isellsunshine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
Don't want to hijack this thread, but thought I would through out there that I run a meetup.com group and as part of the meetup.com package, I can create another meetup.group for free (it's 2 for 1 in other words). I'd be willing to create an account for our group to make it a little more formal if we wish to do that. May help wrangle in other peeps who don't know this forum exists.

You can see what one looks like by peeking at this mmm meetup group which meets and does fun things around Vancouver:

http://www.meetup.com/Money-Mustache-Meetup-Vancouver/

Quote: "If you're a fan of the philosophy of Mr. Money Mustache but can't fit in a trip to the cloud forests of South America just to meet some fellow mustachians this group is for you. Join us as we collaborate, learn and share ways to live an exuberant, rich, fulfilling life while still preparing for rapid financial freedom."

p.s  Dave and I are available any weekend this month cept the 20th.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2016, 08:07:15 PM »
Don't want to hijack this thread, but thought I would through out there that I run a meetup.com group and as part of the meetup.com package, I can create another meetup.group for free (it's 2 for 1 in other words). I'd be willing to create an account for our group to make it a little more formal if we wish to do that. May help wrangle in other peeps who don't know this forum exists.

You can see what one looks like by peeking at this mmm meetup group which meets and does fun things around Vancouver:

http://www.meetup.com/Money-Mustache-Meetup-Vancouver/

Quote: "If you're a fan of the philosophy of Mr. Money Mustache but can't fit in a trip to the cloud forests of South America just to meet some fellow mustachians this group is for you. Join us as we collaborate, learn and share ways to live an exuberant, rich, fulfilling life while still preparing for rapid financial freedom."

p.s  Dave and I are available any weekend this month cept the 20th.
I think this would be awesome as a lot of folks I met at Camp Mustache and in Ecuador are not even on the boards,
so that would certainly help get more people involved.

I would be perfectly happy with the community centre again, as it's so convenient for us, but if you guys want to do something else,
that's ok for us too. I just cannot offer a space right now.
Tempe Town lake could be awesome this time of the year, but may be super busy on a Saturday.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2016, 08:34:46 PM »
For those of you interested, meet at my community room on Saturday the 20th.  Since it is a Saturday, it will need to be around  11am as there is a morning meeting there each Saturday.   If you don't know how to get there, pm me here.  Bring a snack if you want.  Or, just show up.  I'll have cold water from the water machine (filtered, etc.), and coffee. 

Frugal Zony will be out of town soon so we wanted to get something nailed down.  Feel free to have another meet up soon so those who can't meet the 20th can join in.  An official Meet-Up group would be fun as well.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2016, 07:36:02 AM »
For those of you interested, meet at my community room on Saturday the 20th.  Since it is a Saturday, it will need to be around  11am as there is a morning meeting there each Saturday.   If you don't know how to get there, pm me here.  Bring a snack if you want.  Or, just show up.  I'll have cold water from the water machine (filtered, etc.), and coffee. 

Frugal Zony will be out of town soon so we wanted to get something nailed down.  Feel free to have another meet up soon so those who can't meet the 20th can join in.  An official Meet-Up group would be fun as well.

Thanks for hosting Shadowmoss!! We'll be there!
Hoping to see many new faces!
Looking forward to getting together again!

geodude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
Wondering if anybody's heading that way from the Tempe area?
I'll catch a bus or something otherwise. (Motorcycle's out of commission).

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2016, 05:49:57 PM »
having a health issue so I'm a 'maybe' for Saturday.  Nothing dire, just something I have to get taken care of...

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2016, 07:55:14 AM »
having a health issue so I'm a 'maybe' for Saturday.  Nothing dire, just something I have to get taken care of...
Sorry to hear Lainey. Hope you'll be ok!

Do you have a lightrail station nearby?
If you can get to the Sycamore and Main station, we can pick you up from there.
If not, feel free to pm me your exact location, if it's reasonably close to the Tempe/Mesa border, we may be able to help you out.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:52:48 AM by FrugalZony »

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2016, 07:49:25 AM »
Posting to bump.  Get together tomorrow, 2/20 at my community room in Mesa.  PM me here for directions.

geodude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2016, 09:07:26 AM »
If not, feel free to pm me your exact location, if it's reasonably close to the Tempe/Mesa border, we may be able to help you out.
I'm not near the lightrail but there's a bus I can take to that station, so I'll take you up on that. Thanks!

I'm by Mill and Southern, for the record.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2016, 01:14:42 PM »
I'm not near the lightrail but there's a bus I can take to that station, so I'll take you up on that. Thanks!

I'm by Mill and Southern, for the record.
ok, messaging you!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »
That was fun! Great seeing you all!
Thanks to Shadowmoss for hosting!

geodude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2016, 05:26:31 PM »
Hello all,

It's been awhile. Figured I'd bump this and ask how everyone's been?

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2016, 07:52:08 PM »
Surviving the Heat-pocalypse!  Am also taking Fridays off of work in the summer, so am enjoying the 4-day work weeks through Labor Day.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2016, 02:19:23 PM »
I'm living in a van down by the river.  Well, actually I'm living n a 1983 Class C RV and am parked in Payson where it is cooler.  Lost my job and declared myself retired  Interesting emotions from thrusting myself into such a major life change.  Cats and I are fine, though.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2016, 01:04:31 PM »
We are still around! 41 more days to go until we can get out of the heat.
If anyone wants to meet up somewhere, we are up to it!

Hope all is well Geodude! Is your van still out east?

geodude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2016, 03:38:24 PM »
Hope all is well Geodude! Is your van still out east?

I'm afraid so.

Something-something: good mechanic, fast mechanic, cheap mechanic. Pick two.
"Fast" drew an exceptionally short straw for me.

I picked up another motorcycle though. So at least I can actually move around now.
Bicycling to campus at 120°F got to be a bit much for me.

On that note, I'd probably still be renting a room even if van had been finished. For much the same reason.

Hopefully sometime when it's cooler it'll be finished.

Then I can join shadowmoss down by the river and we can start the MMM hippie van commune.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 03:40:38 PM by geodude »

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2016, 08:52:27 AM »
Woot!  MMM Hippie Van Community sounds good to me.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2016, 10:35:09 AM »
Haha! Not sure if we qualify as hippies with our 32 ft thingie!
Hope we will be considered cool enough to hang with all of you ;)