Author Topic: Any Meetup in Europe?  (Read 7952 times)

campaign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Any Meetup in Europe?
« on: September 02, 2014, 03:25:12 AM »
Dear Mustachians,

I would like to propose to organise an official MMM meetup in Europe, to meet each other, as US meetups ar too far for most of us.

Any suggestion? .-)

jugglingcontinents

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Any Meetup in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:31:54 AM »
How about the Netherlands? Bike capital of Europe (if not the world?) :)

campaign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 04:58:35 AM »
Great, the Netherlands for one suggestion is perfect, but I hope we have to wait for some further suggestions to decide the place :-D

If some people would come to, also we could make a Google Group already now to discuss some topic like:
- Early retirement in Europe,
- the 4%(3?) rule in Europe,
- and so on!

If you have any topic idea that would be also great!

So any mustachian from Europe join us to organise the Meetup! .-)

ghgr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:45:15 AM »
Hello fellow Moustachians,

I have just signed-up in this forum (although I already followed the blog and lurked for some time here) and I am happy to post my first message!

I find the idea of a Meetup somewhere in Europe wonderful, especially since the other attempts were not successful.

As SMP stated in other thread, it would be anti-moustachian to travel 500-1000 km for a single evening, so it would be good to welcome our online members, who certainly have interesting questions and answers (it could be broadcasted live).

Here are some points I find important:

- How to adapt the Moustachian way of life to the different European legal frameworks. Of course it depends on the member state, but in a first approach they are all characterized for:
      - High taxes
      - Nonexistence of US centric investment vehicles, such as Vanguard, 401k, etc.

- Antimoustachian behaviors not already addressed by the blog/forum.

-Tips to save in transport (car pooling?), groceries (Aldi,Lidl...).

- Experiences with banks/brokers.

- Common question with taxes:
      - What investments are tax-friendly?
      - How to fill taxes in different scenarios (single, married, already FIRE'd, etc.) while saving to retire and when already retired?
      - How does health insurance work when already retired? (especially in Germany)
      - How are abroad (outside the EU) and inter-European investments taxed.
      - Do REITs even exists? (yes, they do :-) ), but are they a realistic option? How do they differ from the US? Does someone have them?

- Book recommendations

- Networking (of course): Contact with Europeans already early-retired, fellows still trying and encouraging the rest, financial planners, advisers, etc.

- Although sometimes the multiculturalism of Europe complicates business (different regulations and traditions) it also creates new opportunities. Instead of lamenting the high taxes let's find out ways to generate income through European investments while at the same time uniting Europe. This point, as a Spaniard who finished his studies in France and now resides in Germany, is of particular relevance.

I propose two more locations for this meeting, both economic and transport hubs: Frankfurt am Main and Paris.

Please create the Google Group! :-D

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 06:48:24 AM »
I vote for Netherlands as well!

campaign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 07:28:07 AM »
Silvie, and Ghgr you are also wellcome!.-)

Thank you for the proposals, and for the perfect topics!

I created the Google Group (Mustachians in Europe), so you can subscribe to it:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mustachians-in-europe

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:31:25 AM by campaign »

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »
My sister lives in Netherland so I would be able to combine a visit to her with a meetup. Voting for Netherland!

campaign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:58:47 AM »
TheNorwegianGuy you are wellcome.-), and thank you for the proposal,

I created the Mustachians in Europe google group forum,
so you can subscribe and hopefully open and answer topics related to :-D

msangi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 12:42:48 PM »
Hello, I live in London and I'd be very interested in meeting you up.

I sent a request for the Google group too.

ghgr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 02:16:40 AM »
Great to see people interested!

I have seen in other threads that there is a quite large German community (in the stats they are the largest non English-speaking community). In particular there are members form Düsseldorf (so I believe a meetup in Germany will attract many interesting potential speakers).

I am a beginner with not much experience to share. So far I have a frugal lifestyle and I am looking forward to learn from more experienced moustachians. What about you? You believe you are more in the position of share experiences (i.e. already or almost retired) or more in the learning camp (like myself?). It would be good to have a healthy balance between both groups.

I am afraid that with the private google group we are fragmenting the discussion. Could we make it public, or at least make clear which subjects are discussed here and which in th
e google group.

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 02:35:10 AM »
I am afraid that with the private google group we are fragmenting the discussion. Could we make it public, or at least make clear which subjects are discussed here and which in the google group.

Yes, me as well. I do not use Google Group and do not really see the point in moving this into a privat group. Why not just use this thread and forum? What is beeing discussed there that cannot be discussed here?

campaign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 03:48:43 AM »
"Why not just use this thread and forum? What is beeing discussed there that cannot be discussed here?"
It started yesterday with a Meetup proposal, and for one proposal I made the Group as well.
So maybe it is still too new to already KILL it.

The idea of the Group is to build an European Community (not within one day).
And to be as concentrate as possible, and really get know each other, and discuss topics really deeply, helping each other, and learning from each other.
This I think not works here very well on the MMM forum, maybe because the MMM forum is more a US based community.

Especially I wish more privacy, as anybody who is interested still will be able to join the group.

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 04:22:20 AM »
"Why not just use this thread and forum? What is beeing discussed there that cannot be discussed here?"
It started yesterday with a Meetup proposal, and for one proposal I made the Group as well.

And to be as concentrate as possible, and really get know each other, and discuss topics really deeply, helping each other, and learning from each other.
This I think not works here very well on the MMM forum, maybe because the MMM forum is more a US based community.

Especially I wish more privacy, as anybody who is interested still will be able to join the group.

Ok, I see.. Maybe I will join later.. Anyway, good iniative campaign! :)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 04:45:43 AM »
[/url].
I am afraid that with the private google group we are fragmenting the discussion. Could we make it public, or at least make clear which subjects are discussed here and which in the google group.

Yes, me as well. I do not use Google Group and do not really see the point in moving this into a privat group. Why not just use this thread and forum? What is beeing discussed there that cannot be discussed here?

Sorry, campaign, I'm another one who thinks MMM is more than sufficient for what you want to do and I have no interest in joining yet another group (be it google, facebook or any other platform) - I just don't see a need to spread this out. There are already threads on various topics for European-based mustachians (including foreign language ones), for example, the German one can be found at Mustachianism applied to German way of life // Deutsche MMM Ratschläge.

If you think these threads are not sufficient, start new ones covering the topics you want to cover.

As for a meet-up, while the Netherlands would be handy enough for me, I think Frankfurt or Paris, might be easier for more people to get to. Although I'd add Cologne and Brussels to that list, too perhaps. Given the distances involved it would probably make most sense for any European meet-up to be a weekend long one, too.

campaign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 06:31:14 AM »
Ok, I see.. Maybe I will join later.. Anyway, good iniative campaign! :)
[/quote]

.-)

campaign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 07:52:26 AM »
As I can see the German Mustachian meetup wasn't held ever:
"@moonwaves: Unfortunately, a meetup never happened"
(http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/any-german-mustachians-here/50/)
Also the FB group is empty (https://www.facebook.com/germanmustachians).

This shows that the European Mustachian Community not works very well on the MMM forum.
That's why a Google Group (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mustachians-in-europe) was started.

Complaining about this seems antimustachian and completely useless.

Sorry, campaign, I'm another one who thinks MMM is more than sufficient for what you want to do and I have no interest in joining yet another group (be it google, facebook or any other platform) - I just don't see a need to spread this out. There are already threads on various topics for European-based mustachians (including foreign language ones), for example, the German one can be found at Mustachianism applied to German way of life // Deutsche MMM Ratschläge.

If you think these threads are not sufficient, start new ones covering the topics you want to cover.

As for a meet-up, while the Netherlands would be handy enough for me, I think Frankfurt or Paris, might be easier for more people to get to. Although I'd add Cologne and Brussels to that list, too perhaps. Given the distances involved it would probably make most sense for any European meet-up to be a weekend long one, too.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 08:34:33 AM »
This shows that the European Mustachian Community not works very well on the MMM forum.
That's why a Google Group (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mustachians-in-europe) was started.
I disagree but I think you seem to have a different definition of what working well means when it comes to discussion forums than I do. For me, meet-ups are a not very important, nice to have but unnecessary part of a good discussion forum. And I think the actual discussion part of the differences are in being mustachian in various European countries is pretty well-covered here already. And if something isn't covered, well, that's what the new topic button is for.

Complaining about this seems antimustachian and completely useless.
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree since you also seem to have a different definition of complaining that I do. If you read my response again all I did was state the fact that I disagree with the necessity for another forum and say that I'm not interested. Believe me, I'm good at complaining and love having a moan - what I've written on this thread doesn't come anywhere close to either of those things.

ghgr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:41 PM »
People, people, can we please stop being so... European? :-D Besides, you all share the same idea (a better cohesion of the European moustachians).

I found the idea of a meetup as proposed by campaign (although he was not the first to propose it) really good. Regarding the Google group, I already expressed my fears of fragmenting the community (more European cliché), and I found that I am not alone, as TheNorwegianGuy and Moonwaves' posts show.

Moonwaves also has a point by saying that a Meetup is "nice to have but unnecessary part of a good discussion forum". Maybe we need first to build a network of virtual relationships among us Europeans in order to some day justify the expenses (both in money and time) of a meetup in another member state.

Moonwaves also states that "the actual discussion part of the differences are in being mustachian in various European countries is pretty well-covered here already". Well, I don't think so. There are some (not so recent) posts covering some issues, and with good advice, but the list I made in my first post of this thread is far from being covered.

I am not sure that the Google group created by campaign is the solution, but it shows a need to have a subforum with some regional advice (not only European, but also in other countries). And where we can find information without need to use the Search function with queries like "retirement+income+taxes+Germany","retirement+income+taxes+German","retirement+income+taxes+Deutschland",etc. and find if we are lucky a thread from last year.

Maybe what we need is just a subforum, after all.

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 02:31:56 AM »
I think a meetup is a nice idea und would welcome Frankfurt as it is good reachable via plane and train.

Besides that, i already proposed a german subforum and consent was that currently there is not enough traffic to justify that step.
I think that the forum is sufficient for the "local differences" and support the "open a new topic" opinion. I think most stuff can be discusses here or in the "german thread" if its germany related. Most, if not all germans have this post in their update list and will see new entries pretty fast.

donvito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 03:13:40 AM »
Hey Guys,

as I live in Nürnberg/Germany, I would also be in favor of Frankfurt. The problem is that we all seem to live too far away from each other to just get together somewhere some time, but if a meetup actually happened, I would try my best to be there!

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »
Hey guys

I'd be interested in this. In the short term, how about a Skype group? A sub forum would be ideal though. The google group being public would be my only concern as I don't like sharing a lot of details without an air on anonymity.

As Europeans we have different challenges to our US cousins here, so personally I would like to see how we are planning to address the 3-4% rule.

Anyway, great to see so many of us on here.

campaign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 01:26:49 AM »
Moonwaves: You write that you are not interested in this Meetup, and you think european mustachianism is already pretty well-covered.
If you think so, why do you rob the others time?

"meet-ups are a not very important for me"

"differences are in being mustachian in various European countries is pretty well-covered here already. And if something isn't covered, well, that's what the new topic button is for."

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 02:34:18 AM »
as I live in Nürnberg
Too bad. I was there Tuesday to yesterday. Should have known earlier.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 02:35:23 AM »
Campaign, you seem determined to pick an argument with me so I'll just post quickly as you asked me a direct question and then I will leave you to it and bow out of this thread. I didn't say I wasn't interested in this meet-up, if you look above you'll see I even made a couple of suggestions of possible locations for it. I did say that I don't consider meet-ups to be the most important part of an online discussion forum and that's true. I don't think the number of meet-ups taking place is an indication of how well an online discussion group is working. YMMV.

As for robbing others of their time, well, I wouldn't feel comfortable for other new European-based mustachians to join the forum, see this thread and think, "oh, see, everyone thinks there's nothing here for European questions, why waste my time?" and I thought it was important to show my support for the dissenting view (that a google group isn't necessary).

donvito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 03:48:16 AM »
Too bad. I was there Tuesday to yesterday. Should have known earlier.

Ah that's a shame. If you are ever here again, let me know!

Artosis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 10:13:37 AM »
Hi all,

I'm a 28 y.o. French mustachian from Paris. I read the blog a lot, but this is my first time here - well, I also went on this thread, and I suggest you should too : you will be able to pin your location on the map, and by doing this show everyone the number of europeans in this forum is not... only 2!

I would be very glad indeed if an european meeting is organised! The mustachian life in Europe has similarities but also differences with the one in the US, for sure.

Cheers,
Artosis

whatlifecouldbe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • What Life Could Be - FI in Germany
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »
Dear European Mustachians,
we're Emma (from Scotland) and Robert (from Romania) but to make it more complicated, we live in Germany.
Hope to see some of you at the Financial Independence Week Europe (FIWE) in Timisoara which we're organising in September.
It's going to be a non-commercial fun event to meet like-minded people, eat some local food, dring some local alcohol and most importantly: talk, talk, talk :)
Apply as long as there are spaces left.

All details here: http://whatlifecouldbe.eu/fiwe/

Cheers

The link for the event here in ths forum is: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/fiwe'17-(fi-week-europe)-timisoara-romania-15th-21st-sept-2017-apply-now!/

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 06:50:35 AM »
There is the big european meet-up whatlifecouldbe posted about but since some people mentioned the Netherlands: there is sometimes a meet-up of Belgian and Dutch Mustachians. Next one is 17 June in the Amsterdam - utrecht area. Some details here: https://ambertreeleaves.wordpress.com/2017/03/06/lets-get-togehter/

There wil also be a mini Belgian meet-up on 6 may, at 14:00 in Citadel parc in Ghent, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/belgian-meetup-may-6-gent/msg1534540/?boardseen#new
This is more of an informal meet up between some forum members ...

whatlifecouldbe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • What Life Could Be - FI in Germany
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 11:32:17 AM »
Hello fellow Europeans,

Since last year’s event was quite fun organising it, we allready started working on FIWE 2018 in Timisoara, RO.
Main conference: Friday 8th – Sunday 10th June
FIWE EXtra: Monday to Thursday 14th June. This is going to be a smaller, more informal event with an emphasis on hanging out together and generally enjoying life.

If you want to come, read the info and send in your application! (Deadline 1st March)

Details here: http://whatlifecouldbe.eu/2018/01/18/fiwe-2018-apply-now/

Also, if you don't know about it yet, feel free to check out http://firehub.eu the portal of everything about FIRE in Europe including Blogs, curated articles and of cours Meetups&Events

allt he best
Rob
All the best,
Rob