Author Topic: Any Clevelanders?  (Read 48542 times)

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Any Clevelanders?
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2017, 10:35:48 AM »
I would be OK if we meet at one of public libraries - that would be in the MMM spirit :)

And I am also on the East side. It is not ideal for me to meet on the West side, but I would do it.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:53 AM »
I will pencil it in as well for 4/17 and see if anything changes as we get closer.

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »
Great! I am putting a reminder in my calendar too.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »
I live within walking distance of this restaurant so I have no excuse to not go. East siders, it's not hard at all to reach as long as there aren't any traffic jams.

Take I480W
Get off at the Clague Rd. Exit.
Make a right on Clague Rd.
Make a right on Lorain Rd.
Watch our for W228th St. on you right.
Make a right on W228th St. It is on the corner of Lorain and W228th.

If there is no parking behind the restaurant, you can park on W228th St. It is residential.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:48:15 PM by mies »

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2017, 03:11:56 PM »
I'm down to go to a library or the restaurant. Either one works for me. 

I'll be honest and say it will be kind of unusual to meet a bunch of strangers in a library, reason being that it's a quiet/formal place and any awkwardness will not be easily masked as it would in a more opened locale.  Kind of like the first day of school in your homeroom class as opposed to the playground.

But seriously, I'm down for either one.

I was thinking the same thing and I disagree with he folks who say meeting at a restaurant is anti-MMM. Unless the meal is way outside our normal spending and doesn't become a daily occurrence I think it falls into the "ok" category.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2017, 03:27:36 PM »
Is April 17 still a go?

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2017, 02:22:12 AM »
Sweet. I'll be there :)

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2017, 06:01:49 AM »
Hey, does anyone know anything about that used bike shop on Lorain down toward Fairview? It looks like it's either super shady or super awesome.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2017, 06:31:50 AM »
Hey, does anyone know anything about that used bike shop on Lorain down toward Fairview? It looks like it's either super shady or super awesome.

You mean the one by Kamm's Corner?  Yeah, dude's kind of an ass. I went there once and he just pretty much ignored me while I was browsing. I asked if he ever came across older BMX bikes and he just shook his head and went back to his phone. So needless to say, I won't spend my money there.

The one on Lorain and 90th is good and the one on W25th too. Usually Craigslist is the way to go.

I was perusing CL, and it seemed like half the postings were from that shop in the first place (even when I filtered for private sellers). Had to sift through lots of crap to not really find anything.

As an aside, anyone want to trade a Gary Fisher Joshua F4 for something more practical?!

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »
Earlier I wasn't sure if I could make it, but I'll be there on 4/17/17, El Arepazo 6:30pm.  Thanks for throwing something out there.  I see craiglepaige and meis are in. 

Any others?

boyerbt?
FrugalHeights?
NoStacheOhio?

Craiglepaige, just wear your orange tux and we'll all find each other, no problem.

Sooooo...

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2017, 08:52:07 AM »
So... Yeah I could wear it. 

"Could" does not sound like you are fully committed to the idea...  How else will we find each other?  Help a guy out, here, would ya?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »
Sorry, no way I can make it. Life just got crazy this week. :(

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/digging-out-of-a-hole/msg1509583/#msg1509583

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2017, 09:47:04 AM »
Ahhh how about I wear a name tag? LoL

Who could have predicted the initial response was that it was really an option for you to show up like that?  I think if you commit to the orange tux, commits to attend will spike up.  Would certainly be memorable.

@NoStache, sucks is an understatement.  Glad to hear you are navigating the system to get as much timely info as possible.  Not knowing what a diagnosis might mean and how much it changes your/wife's future outlook is really tough.  Sending out positive thoughts, agree to let us know if we can do anything.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »
Thanks all, ironically, we'll be literally around the corner on the 17th at Fairview. Hopefully we'll know more at that appointment.

@craigle thanks for offering, we don't really need anything right now, it's just the waiting. Fortunately, I work at the CCF mothership, so everything is fully covered. I can't imagine what it must be like to go through this and also worry about insurance. I should probably stop bitching about them increasing the rates and copays by what is (in reality) token amounts.

lamil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »
I'm in; didn't know this was a thing until a heads-up PM today. 

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2017, 10:29:35 AM »
I am in for April 17 6:30 pm meet up.
Does anyone know the situation about parking at that restaurant or about public transport that goes there?
Should we have a sign "MMM" or something on the table? Is there anyone who lives close by and can come at 6:30 sharp with such a sign? Or maybe someone who knows that place well can recommend what's best? (which table we should gather at, etc.)

NoStacheOhio, I am very, very sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed for as smooth treatment and recovery as it can get.

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »
Thank you craiglepaige!

I will be on the lookout for an MMM crowd (I will know when I see it, I guess).

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2017, 11:01:35 AM »
I don't know man... Maybe, just maybe.
It's a celebration of maturity and badassity on our lives, so maybe ;)

That's right, keep it as a possibility.  There is nothing wrong with bringing out your inner bad-ass.

I myself have a special hat I wear for such occasions...

Should we have a sign "MMM" or something on the table?

I'll not further belabor my point on the orange tux, but it is an elegant solution.

I will be on the lookout for an MMM crowd (I will know when I see it, I guess).

I plan to count the number of 10+ year old hatch backs in the lot on my way out.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2017, 11:43:48 AM »
How about a 13yo Saturn Vue w/144k miles, is that okay?

That's a lot of NEOhio winters!  I sold a 2000 Tacoma last year, it was having multiple failures and was too difficult for me to work on due to rust.  Now I pull a utility trailer with my hatchback (which is not 10 years old).

I'm not here to judge, just observe, learn, and hopefully contribute.  I'm more interested in people's stories and motivations than what they are driving, but I do assume older vehicles and hatchbacks will predominate compared to an "average" cross-section of the population. 

4/17/17 El Arepazo 6:30pm MMM Cleveland attendees so far (7):
craiglepaige +2 coworkers
mies
homestead neohio
frugal heights
lamil

Feel free to add your name to the list and re-post so craiglepaige has some idea of table size.

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2017, 11:48:58 AM »
FrugalHeights + 1

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »
Haha I'm  actually just playing.

Good.  I don't want anyone to think I'm actually going to physically punch them in the face just because my fists and their face will actually be in the same room.

It will be nice to sit down with like minded people ;)

Agreed.

4/17/17 El Arepazo 6:30pm MMM Cleveland attendees so far (8):
mies
homestead neohio
frugal heights +1
lamil

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2017, 03:06:38 PM »
This thread blew up since I checked this morning. I'm glad to see more people have committed to doing this.

Craiglegpaige, do you know if the restaurant has any gluten free options? I might bring my wife if she feels like joining us but she is gluten intolerant.

NoStacheOhio, I hope everything turns out okay with your wife.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2017, 10:00:25 AM »
I unfortunately have to bow out from this meetup too. Just found out that I will be traveling bright and early Monday morning for work - hope you all have a good time and that we can schedule another event in the near future.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »
Since this is actually turning into an event that looks like it WILL happen (versus the many other attempts to get anyone together), I may have to make an effort to participate.  Still a bit up in the air but I'll put some serious planning into seeing if I can make it.  Will keep everyone posted.  Great to see it looks like a good handful of folks.

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2017, 02:04:36 PM »
I am planning to be there too. If craiglepaige is the only one, how will I find/recognize you craiglepaige? I am a female with dark-frame glasses, long hair, and no facial make-up whatsoever. I'll come with my husband.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2017, 02:07:28 PM »
I will be there. I may be the only one, but even if so, I will happily eat some good food on the cheap and enjoy the moment ;)

Did you find the other thread where we all confirm we're going and then go somewhere else?  Dammit.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2017, 05:58:01 PM »
Craiglegpaige, do you know if the restaurant has any gluten free options? I might bring my wife if she feels like joining us but she is gluten intolerance.

I called the restaurant and asked about Gluten and was answered with a, "I'm sorry, what?". So needless to say I don't think they are gluten free. I'll be honest and say I'm not hip to gluten so maybe there is something in the menu that your wife could eat but not really sure. Is the menu available online?

As far as as seating, I told the guy on the phone about the planned visit on Monday​and he said to call about 1/2 hour ahead so he could set the tables. We will be seated to the left as you walk in. The place is small, so you won't miss the tables.

Thanks for checking in to that! I couldn't find a menu online. I'll just come solo. If the restaurant isn't aware of what gluten is, it's probably safer for her to avoid their food until we have a better understanding of the ingredients that are used.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2017, 01:08:13 PM »
4/17/17 El Arepazo 6:30pm MMM Cleveland attendees so far (8):
mies (wife not attending due to gluten uncertainty)
homestead neohio
frugal heights +1
lamil

I still count 8, but carcarn was a "possible" and said he'd give an update.  I'll send him a PM.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »
I will be there.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2017, 07:17:53 PM »
Big thanks to CraigLepaige for setting this up for us. I really enjoyed meeting everyone. If we do another meet up, I hope I can remember everyone's real name :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:01:55 PM by mies »

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2017, 07:35:55 PM »
I had a lot of fun - it took my mind off my super insane work schedule and helped me refocus on important things in life. Thank you guys!

Next time maybe we can have a potluck in a park when the weather is nice.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2017, 05:33:58 AM »
I'm also down to meet at a park as you said.  Hope you guys liked the food.

I had a great time, though there was a certain something missing.  The walls were plenty orange, though, and that mostly made up for it.  The pupusas were awesome and it was a good place for an initial meetup of 8 folks.

Do you guys like to hike?  We could do a meetup at a park where we eat a potluck dinner then walk a few miles.  There are a few trails in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park that would be nice, but I'm always open to exploring new trails others know about that are closer in to Cleveland.  I might be the furthest south of the attendees last night, and CVNP is south of me.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2017, 05:43:10 AM »
Sorry I missed it, sounds like it was a good time.

Our appointment went well. We're looking at another minor surgery and that's it. There's a little bit more information to gather, but it looks like the cancer was earlier than we initially thought. So if they can biopsy with clean margins, she'll be cancer-free.

I'm also down to meet at a park as you said.  Hope you guys liked the food.

I had a great time, though there was a certain something missing.  The walls were plenty orange, though, and that mostly made up for it.  The pupusas were awesome and it was a good place for an initial meetup of 8 folks.

Do you guys like to hike?  We could do a meetup at a park where we eat a potluck dinner then walk a few miles.  There are a few trails in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park that would be nice, but I'm always open to exploring new trails others know about that are closer in to Cleveland.  I might be the furthest south of the attendees last night, and CVNP is south of me.

Yes! I've been wanting to get out more, but work, life, parenting, excuses, etc.

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2017, 05:43:52 AM »
I am up for hiking. Count me in. Any hiking location works for me.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2017, 07:30:22 AM »
I'd be willing to go hike CVNP. As long as I don't have any existing plans, I can attend.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2017, 07:39:12 AM »
@NoStache glad for what sounds like good news given what you know.  Hoping for a successful minor surgery and peace of mind all around.

OK, would-be-hikers, I can suggest a few hikes for CVNP.  These all have picnic areas if we want to have a potluck or brown bag dinner first.  Others are welcome to suggest hikes further north (more centrally located).   In the spirit of getting something on the calendar, how about Tues May 16, 6:00pm, weather permitting?  We can start later if needed based on work schedules and travel time, but we need enough daylight to hike after eating.

Ledges Trail is really nice, good rock outcroppings and overlook, 2.2 miles.
https://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/upload/Ledges_2016.pdf

Brandywine Gorge Loop Trail is nice, too, and when hiked clockwise you see Brandywine Falls near the end.  1.4 miles.
https://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/upload/Brandywine-Falls-Area-Trails-2016-2.pdf

For something more rigorous, there is the Plateau Trail, which is 5 miles.  This might be a bit too much for a weeknight if eating together or for new hikers, but Oak Hill trail is 1.8 miles at the same location.  If we have a big group, we could eat then split into two smaller groups based on how far people want to hike.
https://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/upload/Oak-Hill_2013_final_for-web-5.pdf

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »
OK, would-be-hikers, I can suggest a few hikes for CVNP.  These all have picnic areas if we want to have a potluck or brown bag dinner first.  Others are welcome to suggest hikes further north (more centrally located).   In the spirit of getting something on the calendar, how about Tues May 16, 6:00pm, weather permitting?  We can start later if needed based on work schedules and travel time, but we need enough daylight to hike after eating.

I'm up for CVNP, but I'll be in Syracuse that week.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
I'm up for CVNP, but I'll be in Syracuse that week.

Let's try to set a date that you could make it, since you had to miss out on the first one.

I can't do the week of 5/8.  Is the week of May 1 too soon for people?  I could do Monday May 1 or Tuesday May 2.  10 day forecast is showing 60% chance of rain, but that can change a lot between now and then.  I'm fine hiking in all weather, but not everyone might be, and dinner in the rain is no fun.

If that doesn't work, we're looking at the week of May 22.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »
Hey guys, sorry I could not make it. 

As an idea for hiking I will through out the suggestion of joining a hike of the Cleveland Hiking Club.  You do not need to be a member to attend and the nice thing is that the hikes are planned and organized so you do not need to plot out a route etc.  Once on their website just go to Hiking Schedule tab, and maybe one of those could work out.  My wife and I have been members for a bit over a year and it's a nice Mustachian option and it is also the oldest active hiking club in the country about the celebrate it's 100th anniversary soon, so it was certainly a surprise find when we came across it.  It makes for a super easy hiking plan as you just get to show up and enjoy and they offer so many hikes every day of the year that there is usually something you can find that fits with your schedule and interests.  For this group it might be a good thing to look in to because I think most of you are West Siders and a majority of the hikes seem to be in that area.  That's the only downside my wife and I have had with it is it is tough to spend 45-60 minutes driving to a hiking location.

http://clevelandhikingclub.org/

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2017, 06:03:41 AM »
Maybe let's punt to early June?

Iam-Claire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2017, 05:27:47 AM »
Sonofabitch

I haven't been on the forums lately, and I'm bummed that I missed this. Hopefully I find out about the next meetup before it happens!

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2017, 06:51:15 AM »
Maybe let's punt to early June?

We waited more than 2 years from the initial post to the first meetup, so I think we can wait 2 months between the first and second meetup.  Again in the interest of getting something on the calendar, new proposals Mon June 5 6pm or Tues June 6 6pm.

@caracarn - We missed seeing you there, hopefully a future one will work out.  The Cleveland Hiking Club looks great as a resource for LOTS of local hikes.  They have annual 26 and 40 mile hikes!  I think a focused Mustachian meeting separate from club hikes is still of interest for those who want to talk FIRE strategies and share stories and motivations with a group who "gets it", especially if we plan to share a meal together.

@Iam-Claire - glad to hear there is another Cleveland MMMer interested, we'll try to set a date pretty far in advance so you know about it.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »

@caracarn - We missed seeing you there, hopefully a future one will work out.  The Cleveland Hiking Club looks great as a resource for LOTS of local hikes.  They have annual 26 and 40 mile hikes!  I think a focused Mustachian meeting separate from club hikes is still of interest for those who want to talk FIRE strategies and share stories and motivations with a group who "gets it", especially if we plan to share a meal together.

Just tossing it out to make people aware, even for their own personal enjoyment.  We were surprised when we stumbled upon it.  We were just googling "cleveland hiking" trying to figure out new places to walk and found that gold mine.  Not pushing for CHC, but just adding some adjustments to what we've seen happen that might make it seem less unlikely to work for your purposes.  In most cases on the hikes people are walking and talking in small 2-4 person groups as it is hard to hear further than that, so if people wanted to talk with a group that "gets it', they can easily do that.  If the hike does have a meal at the end, it is still individual groups sitting down at tables however they want, so the MMMers who wanted to hang together could easily do that and no one would be offended.  It's not like we show up at a restaurant and have them set up a long table for 30 or something.  Just food for thought, as if we piggybacked on these once in a while it removes virtually all the planning other than saying a group of us are headed for a given hike.  I find it gets me out hiking a lot more than I otherwise would because it is so simple, and I get to meet 20-30 people each time (that's about the average I see on a given hike).  Might also get some converts to MMM lifestyle as many times people overhear what is being said and join in to learn more.  We've learned some pretty interesting things about a lot of topics on these hikes. 

With regards to making it out for me personally it is just a challenge being married with a lot of kids.  Always something needs to be done at home and I'm usually not home until 6:30 at best so the weeknight meetups will almost never work for me.  Maybe one of these days.  My wife is OK with frugal, but not enough to meet a bunch of people talking about it.  I mentioned the Monday event to her that I was unable to get to and she just rolled her eyes and told me it was fine if I wanted to hang out but she had zero interest.  Monday she had errands and I ended up having to pick up some stuff on the way home so it just was not working on the calendar.  Not sure if a lot of the other folks that made it are kidless, but we find our time to socialize is just tough right now beyond anything within 30 minutes of the house, and this location was just too far.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:38:54 AM by caracarn »

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2017, 09:07:49 AM »
May is super busy for me, but June works great.
Previously proposed Jun 5 or 6 at 6pm works.
Hiking works too for last week of May or later. It seems to be better to do during a weekday (probably goes without saying). Any hiking place is good for me.

Iam-Claire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2017, 05:28:05 AM »
Thanks! Now that I know something is in the works I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread.

I'm in Shaker Heights but I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance for a meetup.

Iam-Claire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2017, 03:06:02 AM »
Any update?

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2017, 05:46:00 AM »
I do no think anything is planned by anyone. 

L2

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2017, 10:43:51 AM »
Just checking in. New Cleveland member here.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »

Welcome! Are you an east sider, west sider, or somewhere else? If you prefer not to say, it's cool :)

L2

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2017, 06:23:58 AM »

Welcome! Are you an east sider, west sider, or somewhere else? If you prefer not to say, it's cool :)
Thanks. I am presently a "near west-sider" in Edgewater. Will be moving in a few months to Brooklyn, which i guess is still Westside.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!