Author Topic: Zacks and The Street  (Read 4360 times)

theglobetrotter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Zacks and The Street
« on: May 28, 2014, 06:21:49 AM »
Our fund transfers finalized last week. Had a few hick-ups (typo on my part) and Fidelity helped me resubmit the paperwork. Then we went camping and here I am again managing our finances.

I transferred hubby's Roth to Vanguard (from Edward Jones -- they were still in cash form since I cancelled with EJ before they purchased anything) and invested in VDIGX and VASVX. He also has TSP, in all the funds but mostly in C, S, and I. I think the allotments were 5, 5, 40, 30 and 20%. I'd tell you for sure but I again lost the password and requesting them to send another one :/

My Roth is with Fidelity. We have a joint TESIX Franklin Templeton and the rest are various American Funds (AGTHX, AWSHX, etc). I did have some cash and just bought FMEIX.

Last night I was researching each of my American Funds (Yahoo, Morningstar, Market Watch, etc) and on USNews, I saw more less this on the side:

Scorecard
Morningstar 4 / 5 Stars
Lipper 54354
Zacks Investment Research 4 (Sell)
Standard & Poor's 5 / 5 Stars
TheStreet.com E+ (Sell)

When I input NEWFX (and similar results for NEWBX -- B shares of the NEWFX). Since both Zacks and the Street said to sell and I did buy them when they were much lower (had them for 10 years now I think and most were purchased between '07-'09), I sold those two and hope to use the cash to buy something else --- FMILX I think.

I want to eventually sell all the loaded funds (even though they are doing well) because according to the Market Watch fees gadget (and SigFig, the app/website I use to monitor all our investments), I'd be better off replacing them with a no load fund. But USNews (via Zacks and The Street) said to hold.

Are those two sites reliable? On a couple of my American Funds, Zacks said to hold and The Street said to sell (and vice versa). Or should I just sell, no matter what and as SigFig recommend (and Market Watch shows a couple hundred of savings in fees in 10 years), to buy something similar with no load?

I don't plan on doing a lot of buying and selling in the future. I just hope find some great funds and rebalance once a year. But right now, I have 14 more to sell and needing help on knowing when.

Also, is there a good formula on how much to allocate? I seem to like mid and large caps. We're 36/39 yrs old. When I was with Edward Jones, my old advisor said it's nice to pair growth with value. I was looking at some utilities too, from Fidelity, and that seems like something steady. Advise?

Thanks!!

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
Re: Zacks and The Street
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:27:24 AM »
I would recommend not listening to advice on the news or from any stock pundits/gurus

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 07:34:56 AM »
What I know of those funds couldn't fill a thimble. What I do know is that if they are loaded funds and haven't been beating the pants off their benchmarks or the management has changed recently get out now and get into something low fee and less complex than 14 different funds.

Obligatory -

Investment Policy Statement

jlcollinsnh Stock Series

Keep it simple and cost effective. If you're paying additional fees now get out of it as it will wear down your returns.

theglobetrotter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:31:40 AM »
Thank you!! Especially for the links!! I shall be reading them!

It feels nice to be able to do whatever to our investments now that they're with Fidelity and Vanguard! I am slowly understanding the process of what I need to do but it's still quite new and overwhelming!

I'm not sure why I had so many funds. I think my advisor wanted my portfolio to be diversified? Anyhow, I was/am trying to sell the American and Franklin Templeton loaded (A and B shares) funds and putting them into a few Fidelity ones. I'll read those links first though before I decide what to do after the sale.