Author Topic: YTD stock picks let's see them  (Read 6422 times)

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
YTD stock picks let's see them
« on: August 24, 2016, 12:59:37 PM »
This actually links to my accounts. I have been pretty lucky this year but my portfolio has taken some hits and the 500 is closing on me

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
Re: YTD stock picks let's see them
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 02:32:43 PM »
Only 3 companies?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 02:40:16 PM »
Only 3 companies?

No, those are just the "portfolio movers." If those were the only three then his weighted average would have to be between 15.8% and 50.37%. Since it's "only" 10.2%, he must have some relative duds that didn't show in the screenshot.

Vanguard doesn't show me YTD rate of return for my whole portfolio, but my VTIAX is up 6.62% YTD and my VTSAX is up 8.74% YTD. VTIAX is about 17.6% of my asset allocation, so the weighted average must be somewhere close to 8.37%.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:51:12 PM by Jack »

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 02:57:41 PM »
Mostly swing trades.
mixtures of AMAT, KO, CHK, SUNE (RIP), AVXL, FOLD

As far as retirement account, i don't actually get any type of chart on fidelity, maybe i am blind.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 03:49:36 PM »
Don't have all the details on each holding, but so far the account I hold my stocks in is up 20.76% YTD as of July 31.

edit to add details as of Aug 25. All were held at the beginning of the year except where noted.

AAPL   -  4.11%
BAC     -  5.62% (purchased 1/15)
BRK.B - 12.73%
C         - (9.20%)
CL       - 14.72%
CLX     - 5.87%
CMI     - 46.14%
COF    - (2.44%)
CVX    - 15.98%
DFS    - 10.38%
DOW   -  6.93%
DVN    - 116.21% (purchased 2/23, sold 8/18)
GE       - 2.14%
HP       -  19.62%
JNJ      - 17.86%
KO      - 3.51%
MKC   - 20.52%
OGE   - 21.61%
OLN   - 27.71%
PG     - 13.86
T        - 7.70%
WFC   - (3.31%)
WMT  - 18.27%
XOM  - 14.56%
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:12:53 AM by Proud Foot »

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 04:41:39 PM »
Only 3 companies?

No, those are just the "portfolio movers." If those were the only three then his weighted average would have to be between 15.8% and 50.37%. Since it's "only" 10.2%, he must have some relative duds that didn't show in the screenshot.

Vanguard doesn't show me YTD rate of return for my whole portfolio, but my VTIAX is up 6.62% YTD and my VTSAX is up 8.74% YTD. VTIAX is about 17.6% of my asset allocation, so the weighted average must be somewhere close to 8.37%.

Yes NAT is down -25% and COP is down -5%

OHI is doing okay at 14% of portfolio
And PNW is a rocket but only 8% of portfolio
So the weighting throws off the "movers" because PNW is up 22% it's just a smaller holding

XOM is my largest holding at 19% of my portfolio. I kinda wish I followed my gut and threw everything in XOM but it didn't seem prudent. I held back on Kinder too. But I'm still happy with it
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:52:15 PM by mrpercentage »

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 05:04:18 PM »
17.7% YTD, 25.93% 1 YR, 22.58% 3 YR, 19.81% 5 YR --> Performance pre-consolidation of accounts with Wells Fargo is tough, but likely around 14% for 10 YR.  Boy did the Great Recession present a lot of opportunities for investment.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 06:55:14 PM »
IDXX

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »
Good picks guys.

I'm fine with mine but know the chances for volitility are high with mine the next few months

capitalninja

• Stubble
  • Know what the other guy is making on the deal...
    • Entrepreneur, Investor, Life Advice
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 08:01:47 PM »
NS up 37% since Jan
OKE up 69.4% since Jan
KMI up 22% since Jan
BCS up 19.7% since June

This is in addition to DCA most of my investment dollars into a mix of index funds.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 08:31:03 AM »
I almost bought AMD when it dipped below $2/share in February, on the theory that by the time Zen came out it would probably be back up to at least $3. Check the ticker today and you'll see how sad I am that I didn't do it. : (

jjandjab

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 12:16:23 PM »
I hold only two individual stocks, both REITs.

NRZ price up 18.5% since I bought and it had a 15.4% dividend yield at the time, which I have also gotten twice, so up 26.2% total.

MPW, up 44% from my overall basis price this year and my effective yield of 8.8%, so 48.4% total.

Everything else in index and bond funds.

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 10:58:38 AM »
Bought shopify at $20 a share and sold at $39. May buy more if it dips again but that's not likely.
Watching DATA closely

I've only bought 3 individual stocks in my life and have done well on them all. Which has me extremely worried that il wanna buy a few more.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 11:43:31 AM »
Watching DATA closely

Any idea why it dropped so much from its 2015 peak?

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 11:56:06 AM »

The returns are YTD but the picks mostly happened last November. I'm pretty happy with that Hershey pick. It was pretty obvious to me that the market was overly punishing them for their issues in China, so when the Mondelez offer came in it reset expectations.

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »
Watching DATA closely

Any idea why it dropped so much from its 2015 peak?

from everything I was able to find/read it was pointing to increased competition in that market, overall Cloud stocks dipped around that same time, some of their hiring processes in 2015 hurt them financially in 2016. 

All things that I think they can and have rebounded from.  And now they've just hired a new CEO.  I am trying to do some research on that and make my decision soon. 

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 02:38:01 PM »
I bought and sold a share of APPL for a cool 16% profit over the course of 3 months.  Other than that I'm heavily into oil and solar stocks.  I have a few OIL and USO shares that are up 1% since I bought in 2 weeks ago.  They are very volatile and make up a large portion of my individual stocks so my YTD fluctuates greatly.  As of today, I'm up 1.65% since I began individual stock investing in May, however, this number is not a great indication of how I'm actually doing because while I opened my account in May, I put in 75% of my funds within the past two weeks.  Everytime I add new money, my YTD is reduced according to Robinhoods system. 

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 06:17:50 PM »
I bought and sold a share of APPL for a cool 16% profit over the course of 3 months.  Other than that I'm heavily into oil and solar stocks.  I have a few OIL and USO shares that are up 1% since I bought in 2 weeks ago.  They are very volatile and make up a large portion of my individual stocks so my YTD fluctuates greatly.  As of today, I'm up 1.65% since I began individual stock investing in May, however, this number is not a great indication of how I'm actually doing because while I opened my account in May, I put in 75% of my funds within the past two weeks.  Everytime I add new money, my YTD is reduced according to Robinhoods system.

OIL and USO are not individual stocks. They are complicated products that are made up of derivatives and futures contracts, and if you don't know that you should sell them. You are using them wrong and it's costing you large amounts of money. In particular, USO is not intended to be held more than one day.

http://www.etf.com/sections/daily-etf-flows/most-dangerous-oil-etfs?nopaging=1

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/25/snake-oil-why-the-3-billion-dollar-uso-etf-is-down-this-year-even-as-crude-has-surged.html

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 07:03:53 PM »

OIL and USO are not individual stocks. They are complicated products that are made up of derivatives and futures contracts, and if you don't know that you should sell them. You are using them wrong and it's costing you large amounts of money. In particular, USO is not intended to be held more than one day.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/25/snake-oil-why-the-3-billion-dollar-uso-etf-is-down-this-year-even-as-crude-has-surged.html

Yup, I will put in an order to sell them on Monday.  I am up 1% on them in two weeks so it's all good.  This does show that I don't know WTF I'm doing investing.

Edit:  My sell request is queued for Monday at markets opening.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 02:05:09 PM by OneCoolCat »

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 05:01:50 AM »
Got into Lending club on the scandal @ $3.50 - now $5.43
Got some Barclays $6.90 and Santander $3.86 and Delphi $62.72 the Monday after brexit - now $8.66, $4.30, and $69.62

Picked up a small position in CXW @ 19.45, but that is down to $17.55 right now.

Looking into tanker shipping now, as they seem very cheap. TNK, NNA, DHT, FRO and similar, any suggestions on those Mr%?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 08:44:10 AM »
I also got some post-Brexit stock -- HSBC. It's had about a 20% recovery. I'll sell a call on it this week to offload it.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 09:34:30 AM »
Got into Lending club on the scandal @ $3.50 - now $5.43
Got some Barclays $6.90 and Santander $3.86 and Delphi $62.72 the Monday after brexit - now $8.66, $4.30, and $69.62

Picked up a small position in CXW @ 19.45, but that is down to $17.55 right now.

Looking into tanker shipping now, as they seem very cheap. TNK, NNA, DHT, FRO and similar, any suggestions on those Mr%?

Of the four you mentioned, DHT seems to be the most interesting. Solid balance sheet, great margins, great revenue growth, understandable flexible dividend policy, and what appears to be competent management. They're at long term lows right now for reasons I don't quite understand so I need to do more research, but they're definitely on my watch list.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 09:46:07 AM »
I bought Tesla at $150 but only cause I bet my friend that works there that it would get that low over the course of the year. My technique... making up a random number and getting lucky as fuck that was pretty much the bottom of the market for them for the time being. I wish I would have bought more but then again, it was a crapshoot.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 05:56:02 AM »
I'm an investing genius.
After Brexit when all the european bank stocks were down 20-30% I tried to buy about $3000 of HSBC for my tax-free account.
Trade said OK but didn't show up. So I changed the amount and tried again.
I had the wrong account selected!  - so I bought $3K for one account and $5K for another.

The stock then went up 10%, and paid 9% dividend and then did a big stock buy back.

I think my combination of user error and blind luck could be a new system for Wall St

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2016, 08:04:53 AM »

Yup, I will put in an order to sell them on Monday.  I am up 1% on them in two weeks so it's all good.  This does show that I don't know WTF I'm doing investing.

Edit:  My sell request is queued for Monday at markets opening.

Monday was a baaaad day for oil futures as was most of last week.  I ended up selling my oil late in the day on Monday and made a few more bucks right before it went down again. I then bought a bunch of clean energy stock, most solar.  They actually had a solid week so that was nice.

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2016, 11:01:31 AM »
I don't have the YTD numbers, but I have one year numbers.
I am only putting 80USd/month in this for fun so the amount is not big :).

Total - +24.02%.

NOK - -0.4% - I think they will do a good job in the next 4-5 years.
BABA - +51.74%
WMT - +5.83% (bought one at 56 USD, sad I did not buy more at that price :)). Now I have a total of 3 shares so the percentage went down. I think they are starting to do the right thing to compete online.
SNH - + 54.01%
HPT - +18.32%

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2016, 02:11:25 PM »
Sold my oil stock and net 1% profit on it.  Considering how much lower it is now than it was when i sold  it, I'll take it, lol.

My holdings are:
GLBL - up 5.91% - This company manages wind, solar and hydro-electric plant contracts.  I bought 98% of the shares on Monday so it was a good week.  This is a yieldco that was supposed to be a relatively safe stock but it has shown to be very volatile because of the issues with SunEdison, a company it gets many contract from.  I'm wagering it wont have the same fate as SunEdison.
ATVI - up 4.33% in past 2 months - I think this company has potential to grow aggressively now that its getting into movie production.  They are mostly known for producing popular video games.
SPWR - up 1.40% - This company designs high-efficiency solar panels.  that I think will be very successful long-term.  Short-term I'm not expecting much from them.  I've been buying shares as their stock has been getting cheaper and cheaper.  I think its at its floor right now.
RUN - up 0.39% - Another solar company.  This one focuses on installation, financing and leasing of panels for residential use.

I'm watching VSLR right now.  They are another company that installs solar panels on residential property.  They recently announced they are going to begin operations in Florida.  Florida voters appear to be rejecting amendments proposed by the large energy companies that would act to hamper a shift to clean energy, rightly so!  I'm optimistic that Florida will see some rapid conversions to solar energy in the coming years/decades.

I started investing in individual stocks a little over 3 months ago and am at 4% YTD right now.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!