Author Topic: Your stock funds closed at highest [so far] of 2016 on Friday  (Read 12447 times)

Interest Compound

• Pencil Stache
Copied from this Bogleheads thread:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=186650

A great week in the stock markets just happened. All your stock funds should have closed at the highest level for all of 2016 so far.

I've noticed a palpable drop in new posts about market crashes, the world coming to an end, time to go all cash, "I got out last year and see I was right!"...etc. I wonder how much Survivorship Bias is playing a part here. I guess all the people who move their whole portfolio to cash don't bother us with their failures when they lose money (cough).

Here's something to think about for those who either sold, or were thinking about selling:

Were you able to call the bottom?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 11:58:52 PM by Interest Compound »

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Your stock funds closed at highest [so far] of 2016 on Friday
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 11:46:40 PM »
All your stock funds should have closed at the highest level for all of 2016 so far.

oh, I dunno, sounds like a bubble to me!  The P/E and Buffet ratios are all wrong now.

I am a little bummed I wasn't able to buy loads of my Canada All Cap in addition to the US, EAFE, Bonds and Emerging that I did buy in the past 2 months.  It's Canada catch up time tomorrow, but as slightly higher prices. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 11:59:01 PM by Heckler »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 11:47:28 PM »
I should go back to all of those market timing threads from January and February this year, where people were crying about the coming stock meltdown.  They were so absolutely convinced I was an idiot for continuing to buy stocks every week, even in the middle of a meltdown.  Well, I bought VTSMX at 45 and VDE at 74. 

If they really want to play the "who times the market better" trades comparison game, I think I'm going to win.  Those of us who buy on the regular are virtually guaranteed to buy at the bottom.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 02:38:29 AM »
I'm also bummed that I didn't get to buy as much stock as I wanted.  I'd bought a bunch of mini splits and other house stuff just prior to the downturn, so my extra cash was tapped out already.  I hoped the down market would last longer.  Oh well!

The house stuff will result in higher guaranteed returns than from the stock market, at least.

brotatochip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 04:03:35 AM »
I should go back to all of those market timing threads from January and February this year, where people were crying about the coming stock meltdown.  They were so absolutely convinced I was an idiot for continuing to buy stocks every week, even in the middle of a meltdown.  Well, I bought VTSMX at 45 and VDE at 74. 

If they really want to play the "who times the market better" trades comparison game, I think I'm going to win.  Those of us who buy on the regular are virtually guaranteed to buy at the bottom.

I got in on the VDE train too a few weeks ago...what a sale!

Kalergie

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 05:24:51 AM »
I love that when things tank posts pop up labeled "why bonds are important" and as soon as the market goes up all we hear is "100% stocks is the way to go".

Don't flip flop or if you can't stomach the waves don't invest. Sorry for being honest.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 05:47:20 AM »
I guess I'm the opposite of the people who have been freaking out.

This year I left my invested portfolio alone, but I've had new contributions going into cash and then I wait for dips. I did a lot of buying when the SP was in the 1800s. That was really nice. :D

Can we have some MORE volatility?  I want to be able to do that again!!!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 06:06:27 AM »

You invest in sector funds?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 06:08:32 AM »
I'm just sad that my rollover timing, due to starting a new job, happened to cause me to accidentally "market time" away ~6% of my 401k value.

C'est la vie.

Though Vanguard/Fidelity taking 3 weeks to process the rollover didn't help >.>

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 06:58:55 AM »
Were you able to call the bottom?

I happened to sell and re-buy a big chunk in December and January when I rolled my traditional IRA into my 401(k) but most of those ended up being even. For new trades, I entered into Disney at $88.30 and bought more Shell (RDS.B) at $37.10, which are pretty close to bottoms for those particular equities.

My individual portfolio is up 6.27% YTD as of this morning, and the overall family portfolio (of which that individual portfolio is about half) is up 2.9% YTD.

capitalninja

• Stubble
  • Know what the other guy is making on the deal...
    • Entrepreneur, Investor, Life Advice
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 07:12:51 AM »
Common theme is that consistency coupled with calculated bursts of contrarianism often pays off. Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.

Aug/Sep 2015 and Jan/Feb 2016 have been some of the best times for investors in recent years. Hopefully most people deployed additional capital. When the market provides you with an additional margin of safety on already undervalued investments, it'd be a shame to pass them up.

Just ensure that whatever you buy pays you a dividend.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 07:44:10 AM »
Nope, didn't call the bottom on anything I don't think but did some averaging down and adding to some positions in some accounts.  Which are paying off already and will continue to pay off :)

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »
I don't get it. Why does my 403b say this, i have me and my employer putting in money each month. I have mostly index stocks now, as of Feb. Maybe they compute these numbers differently- it used to say -9 or something at the beginning of the year though.

Personalized Rate of Return 
-2.21%
01/01/2016 to 03/13/2016

Retire in CO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 09:39:20 AM »
The past couple of months hasn't really felt like a market correction to me...more like a "blink". Lack of panic, capitulation, etc. I've never been a market timer although I've never felt more like I should be than over the past week. A stronger correction possibly would have made me feel better. Haven't changed my investment strategy but I am trying to figure out if my increasing uneasiness is due to the recent market behavior or the fact that we're getting closer to retirement. Maybe a combination, but selling when the market is falling is against my nature. Not selling a little now...is my true struggle.

Vilgan

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 10:45:54 AM »
I treated the "lower markets" as an emergency worthy of my emergency/inconsistent income fund and dumped about 54k into the market in late Jan. Didn't catch the absolute bottom of around Feb 11 but close enough that I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:49:09 AM by Vilgan »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 11:15:13 AM »

You invest in sector funds?

I think that was a question directed at me personally, so I'll offer a personal answer.

The vast majority of my investments are on autopilot.  Automatic bank transfers into index funds every few days, about 90% stocks and 10% bonds.  The stocks are over half domestic, some international, and a tiny bit emerging markets.

But I'm only human, and even I feel the constant pull to sabotage my investment strategy by seeking out market deals.  So I've allocated a few hundred dollars per month (less than 5% of my total monthly savings) for playing with.  The money goes into a taxable brokerage account that I've mentally earmarked for future college costs, which means it is not money that is necessary to the financial success of my family.  In that account, each month I purchase ETFs that I think look attractive at the time, which usually means VT (total world stock market) but sometimes means VDE (energy) or VWO (emerging markets index).  Never individual stocks.  It's purely a guessing game, and like most investors I have on average guessed wrong and thus slightly underperformed the other 95% of my portfolio.

But it satiates my need for the illusion of control, without doing significant harm.  And it means I occasionally get to pat myself on the back for buying low into a volatile fund that spikes 5% in the hours after I buy it.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 11:24:56 AM »
I think that was a question directed at me personally, so I'll offer a personal answer.

The vast majority of my investments are on autopilot.  Automatic bank transfers into index funds every few days, about 90% stocks and 10% bonds.  The stocks are over half domestic, some international, and a tiny bit emerging markets.

But I'm only human, and even I feel the constant pull to sabotage my investment strategy by seeking out market deals.  So I've allocated a few hundred dollars per month (less than 5% of my total monthly savings) for playing with.  The money goes into a taxable brokerage account that I've mentally earmarked for future college costs, which means it is not money that is necessary to the financial success of my family.  In that account, each month I purchase ETFs that I think look attractive at the time, which usually means VT (total world stock market) but sometimes means VDE (energy) or VWO (emerging markets index).  Never individual stocks.  It's purely a guessing game, and like most investors I have on average guessed wrong and thus slightly underperformed the other 95% of my portfolio.

But it satiates my need for the illusion of control, without doing significant harm.  And it means I occasionally get to pat myself on the back for buying low into a volatile fund that spikes 5% in the hours after I buy it.

Thanks Sol, the question was indeed directed at you. I'm always curious regarding the thinking behind these things.

I genuinely appreciate your response. I'm still in the slow process of automating everything into a lazy 3 fund portfolio myself so I can't cast a judgement.

ScarElbow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 11:31:03 AM »
Nope. Spx just passed its 200 day moving average on a downward tilt. Indicators are showing tops in overbought and money flow are at its peak. Not a good sign to be long on a bullish side. It will retract again within the next few weeks. I'm short spx for the next month. When it hits a slide, im exiting the position for a good profit before it waves up a bit again.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:55:12 AM by ScarElbow »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 12:03:38 PM »
Nope. Spx just passed its 200 day moving average on a downward tilt. Indicators are showing tops in overbought and money flow are at its peak. Not a good sign to be long on a bullish side. It will retract again within the next few weeks. I'm short spx for the next month. When it hits a slide, im exiting the position for a good profit before it waves up a bit again.

Good luck with that.  Please report back when you actually turn that profit.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »
I kinda timed the bottom right - I did an exchange of my international fund and captured about $7K in tax loss :-)

Otherwise, I'm sad because I will have a large chunk of change to invest in the next couple of weeks (bonus and RSUs that vested).  I wish I had the money a month or so ago...

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 01:20:58 PM »
I've been catching up on my investments for FY 2015 (I got a better-paying job last June, maxed my 2015 HSA from July-Oct, maxed my 401k from Oct-Dec, and maxed my 2015 IRAs from Jan-now). On one hand, I'm annoyed that the last $2000 of my IRA contributions went in at Friday's NAV. On the other hand, it's nice that the bulk of my contributions went in during the dip!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 02:31:17 PM »
I funded my Roth at the exact bottom of the most recent dip.  Probably the first time I've ever nailed the exact bottom outside of regular DCAing.  But the year's not over either, so only time will tell.  Also, I sold taxable shares (at a slight loss) to do it, so even if it works out, it will be more of a tax win vs. a sell high, buy low win.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »
I kinda timed the bottom right - I did an exchange of my international fund and captured about $7K in tax loss :-)

Same here. I harvested some losses in January, and harvested more losses in February. That should help offset some of the gains when I sell some of my previous employer's stock that I've been gradually liquidating.

BlankCheck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 08:55:30 PM »
*sigh*

I said the market is overvalued.

I still say it is.

Good chat.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 08:14:10 AM »
*sigh*

I still say it is.

Good chat.
If you're right and we have not seen the real bottom yet, that's fine by me as I now have a nice lump sum to be invested in the near future :-)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 08:20:53 AM »
*sigh*

I still say it is.

Good chat.
If you're right and we have not seen the real bottom yet, that's fine by me as I now have a nice lump sum to be invested in the near future :-)

Do you either of you care to make a prediction about the value and timing of the "real bottom" that you think is coming?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 09:01:49 AM »
I had to laugh, because my wife got a 401k statement the other day, and there was a note from the financial advisor who we can't get rid of. It was talking about how holding cash kept her portfolio stable during the recent volatility, and "hang in there." I was thinking, "no you idiot, we just missed out on massive gains because we're not sure when we're going to rollover the account and didn't want to get hit with any short-term trading fees."

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »
*sigh*

I still say it is.

Good chat.

Do you either of you care to make a prediction about the value and timing of the "real bottom" that you think is coming?

Not really :-)  I am definitely not a market timer.  I just happen to have extra money to invest (got my bonus today and RSUs that vested) - I will invest it no matter what in the next couple of weeks.  So my response was more of a joke than anything else.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 10:47:10 AM »
Just because you personally believe the market to be overvalued does not in any sense mean that a price decline is going to happen. For one thing, maybe you're wrong about it being overvalued. Even if you're right, it's quite possible for the market price to continue growing, but at a slow place, until such time as the value "catches up" to the price.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 11:11:43 AM »
I didn't reallocate or cash any of my investments out but I bought an additional 4k worth of funds when we were near the bottom because as the Dow was sliding I was transferring every dollar that hit my checking account to my vanguard funds.  I was putting it in as we slid so I don't think I got it right at the bottom but it was definitly lower.  W/e I'm happy with it.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2016, 09:52:22 PM »
Kept everything the same - $2k every two weeks. No reason to change things now with all the volatility when the time horizon is several years.

Aphalite

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 08:09:26 AM »
Slightly contrarian position here - saying the market is overvalued and staying out is fine... as long as you have a way to make up for the opportunity cost of cash. As others have said, the market could just drudge along at 4-5% while the overvaluation burns off. If you aren't just holding cash and waiting to get back in, and doing something productive with your capital, I see absolutely nothing wrong with staying out of the market

BlankCheck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 05:31:44 PM »
Just because you personally believe the market to be overvalued does not in any sense mean that a price decline is going to happen. For one thing, maybe you're wrong about it being overvalued. Even if you're right, it's quite possible for the market price to continue growing, but at a slow place, until such time as the value "catches up" to the price.

Certainly!  That's why I don't have a bottom in mind that I'm waiting for.  If years go by in a flat market, I may be tempted to get back in.  Then again, history suggests a bear market must be coming sooner or later.  Who knows.  I just think ZIRP and QE have artificially inflated the market, and I don't want to be in at these values.  Today is a perfect example of the Fed jigging things to favor the market.  That's great, but I just don't think it's sustainable.  Then again, they've done it successfully 7 years running, so who knows...

Slightly contrarian position here - saying the market is overvalued and staying out is fine... as long as you have a way to make up for the opportunity cost of cash. As others have said, the market could just drudge along at 4-5% while the overvaluation burns off. If you aren't just holding cash and waiting to get back in, and doing something productive with your capital, I see absolutely nothing wrong with staying out of the market

Well actually 4-5% would probably be considered better than just drudging along (or no?), and in this environment I don't think there's anyway to match that without taking big risks (or, if anyone knows how, I'd love to hear about it).  Yeah, I'm not only in cash, but I won't be gaining much regardless.  If the bull market continues, I'll miss the gains, and I know that.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2016, 11:15:06 AM »
The front page of CNN today is proclaiming the great market turnaround of 2016 with phrases like "those who panicked got punished."

I hope none of you panicked, except for the ones who publicly proclaimed their panic in this and similar threads for the past two months.  To those people, I offer my sincere condolences.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »
I got dirt lucky, as I put money into Betterment early last year with plans to buy a house "eventually" but we moved our plans up. If only I had pulled it out in November... but I didn't, and it wasn't looking good. But then in the past two weeks, we had some moments where I almost broke even, and I yanked it all out.

During the same period, because I like chaos, I was also doing a 401K rollover. Right after the roll out we had Friday's 2% bump... but fortunately earlier this week it pulled back maybe 1% before the funds got dropped into my IRA. With the home purchase (almost) behind us, it's long-term investing ahead of us... probably 8+ years for all of our funds. So it'll just be frequent buys and no selling of Vanguard index funds for (maybe) the next decade or so.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2016, 12:35:47 PM »
Still so frustrated that I got my E-O-Y bonus on December 30 and put it into the market right away.  It is what it is, but I had absolutely no spare money available to buy into the dip.  I came very close to liquidating out my cash to buy the dip, but spouse would have murdered me because our investments are already too aggressive for spouse's taste, and I've promised that I would never tap into the cash.  That promise cost me about $1500 so far since the beginning of the year!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2016, 12:50:29 PM »
Still so frustrated that I got my E-O-Y bonus on December 30 and put it into the market right away.  It is what it is, but I had absolutely no spare money available to buy into the dip.  I came very close to liquidating out my cash to buy the dip, but spouse would have murdered me because our investments are already too aggressive for spouse's taste, and I've promised that I would never tap into the cash.  That promise cost me about $1500 so far since the beginning of the year!

Investing a lump sum right away wins out something like two-thirds of the time. This is the one-third where it didn't. You win some, you lose some. You will have other bonuses. Stay the course.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2016, 01:32:36 PM »
Investing a lump sum right away wins out something like two-thirds of the time. This is the one-third where it didn't. You win some, you lose some. You will have other bonuses. Stay the course.

Definitely. I invested a lump sum in early Jan before things dropped even further. So what? Next time I have a lump sum I'm going to invest it right away again.

MrStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2016, 02:57:08 PM »
The front page of CNN today is proclaiming the great market turnaround of 2016 with phrases like "those who panicked got punished."

I hope none of you panicked, except for the ones who publicly proclaimed their panic in this and similar threads for the past two months.  To those people, I offer my sincere condolences.

Here it is if anyone is interested: http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/17/investing/stocks-positive-2016-dow-jones-oil/index.html

Trip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2016, 03:13:55 PM »

I was doing the same thing and getting laughed at as well. Personally, I was stoked to see all the doomsday article titles on CNBC the first two months of the year.

Kalergie

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »

I was doing the same thing and getting laughed at as well. Personally, I was stoked to see all the doomsday article titles on CNBC the first two months of the year.
Anyone remember the RBS cataclysmic year prediction 2 months ago....

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2016, 03:51:03 PM »

Ha, no doubt, but the one-week miscue cost me $5-6k or so (in addition to the $1,500 or so my promise re cash cost me) in my taxable accounts (and another amount in my IRAs)--and that assumes we keep climbing to breakeven (I'm still down a bit because December 31 had a material drop, too).  I'll always be a lump-sum investor, and I did TLH about $20k in losses in Feb, so there's a bright side, but it's still obnoxious.

On the bright side, I maxed out my 401(k) for the year in Jan/Feb/first half of March, so I got some of the benefit on the earlier contributions.  Just nothing in my taxable accounts. 

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2016, 06:13:10 PM »
Yep. Stocks have come up too far too fast. I put a freeze on all direct stock purchases and moved the kids to high yield municipal bonds. Of course it's the season but I don't like chasing

What is everyone so excited about? It did this last year then dropped like a rock

BTW, La Jolla beach was awesome. Stayed with family and took a cooler to the beach. I look like a model for Red Lobster. I recognize that I need to lose weight now. California has some hard bodies. Good times

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2016, 06:53:39 PM »
Back in November I stopped by the old job and kiddingly asked my former boss if I could get my old job back for a few months to take advantage of this buying opportunity. She laughed; I've told her often enough that while I miss the people, I don't miss the w word.

I certainly don't want to say the bull market will last. I've learned enough to know that I am absolutely awful in predictions of any kind. But it is nice to know that by not panicking when "we have the worst start to January ever!!!" I'm still basically back to normal (take out 2% a year to supplement my pension).

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »
I guess as someone that made it through the late 2000s crash, all this recent stuff just looks like splashing around in the kiddie pool.  Seriously, you people need to stop worrying about the "opportunity cost" of mis-timing the market. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!