Author Topic: Would you open a Roth IRA with Vanguard, Fidelity or another company?  (Read 817 times)

vinnybagodonuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm planning to open a Roth IRA that I will use to buy a total stock market index fund or S&P 500 index fund. Which company do you use and why??

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Would you open a Roth IRA with Vanguard, Fidelity or another company?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 02:25:30 PM »
Fidelity, Schwab, and Vanguard.

All for various reasons probably not applicable to a generic audience.  All seem fine.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 02:47:01 PM »
Those three are all good choices, but if you're stuck and need help making a choice: Fidelity. I find their customer service a bit better than Vanguard.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 02:58:48 PM »
I have my Roth IRA with Vanguard because I wanted to invest in Vanguard funds. I find it to be the easiest site to use between the seven different investment platforms I have used (though I haven't tried Schwab).

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 03:04:53 PM »
I have Fidelity and Vanguard.  I had my 401k with Fidelity and opened my Roth with Vanguard to invest in VTSAX, because it had lower fees that the Fidelity funds.  Over the years I have had 401k's at both and have kept the rollover IRAs with the same company, because the changes are made same day. 

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Fidelity.  The customer service was incredibly good dealing with changes following DH's death.  I like their web interface better.  I also have my HSA there now -- no fees.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »
Schwab. Competitive assortment of funds, very low or no fees, great support. A brokerage account comes with a great checking account, free checks, no monthly fees, ATM fees fully refundable all over the world, bill pay doesn't withdraw until payee cashes the check, mobile deposit.

George the Pet Goose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Married living in the Mountains of California
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 04:44:58 PM »
I really like Fidelity. Their customer service is excellent and they are all so patient. Never seem in a hurry. Their Dashboard is very easy to use while providing alot of data and analysis. Fidelity offers a free checking account allowing use of any atm machines and they re-imburse the fees. Free bill pay too. We haven't signed up yet but plan to very soon

Check out both venue's office locations in relation to your home.

Ready2Save27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 06:37:13 PM »
I’ve only used Vanguard, but I’ve been very happy with them. The app is easy to use, they offer good index funds, and they seem to take security very seriously. As others have said, I don’t think you can go wrong here with the choices mentioned above.