Author Topic: Worth Rolling Over 401k Funds From A Previous Job To Vanguard?  (Read 4117 times)

RusticBohemian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Worth Rolling Over 401k Funds From A Previous Job To Vanguard?
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:29:31 PM »
I've got an old 401k with Transamerica Retirement Solutions.

I recently changed out the index funds (although fairly high fee) I had the money in for a Vanguard Target Retirement fund, which I understand is pretty low fee at 0.18%

But I'm wondering if Transamerica is skimming money off the top, and if I should just roll the 401k over to Vanguard for them to manage.

Anyone know if it would bring additional savings?

ClaycordJCA

• Stubble
Re: Worth Rolling Over 401k Funds From A Previous Job To Vanguard?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 07:02:24 PM »
If you retire early, you can take withdrawals from a 401k at age 55.  Have to wait to 59.5 for an IRA. That said, no doubt TRS is getting some sort of fee for their services, even if it is just accounting. The amount should be in the plan documents.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 07:49:14 PM »
I would check the fees in the transamerica plan.

Is the TR fund 0.18% there?  Sometimes the same fund will be more or even LESS expensive in a 401k plan.  So check.

Also see what fees the 401k plan has, any admin fees.  I would just call and ask.

What is the expense ratio?  Are there any maintenance fees?  Are there any management or 12b1 fees not already included in the expense ratio?  Statement fees, annual fees, etc?

If the total is greater than 0.18% look at the IRA and consider the differences between a 401k & IRA already mentioned. 

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:14:51 AM »
I'd roll it over. Most likely it is cheaper as Vanguard won't charge extra fees. It would also give you more money to invest into single funds versus the balanced funds so you can take advantage of the Admiral Shares funds with lower fees. Plus it's just easier to have everything in as few accounts as possible.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!