Author Topic: Worst Retirement Ever  (Read 2422 times)

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
Worst Retirement Ever
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:49:28 AM »
The thread going right now about what to do if the market drops makes me think of this excellent post from two years ago by GoCurryCracker:

http://www.gocurrycracker.com/the-worst-retirement-ever/

Jeremy's post isn't about a bear market per se, but it really does an excellent job of laying out the retirement plan risk of a the worst case scenario

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Worst Retirement Ever
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 10:23:53 AM »
Yea, this highlights that while the 4% rule may have failed and making it to 3% was unfeasible, retirement if your a bit flexible is entirely possible.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
Re: Worst Retirement Ever
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »
Lacking any sort of political or sociological expertise, i try in public forums to avoid commenting on those sorts of issues...

But one other thing Jeremy's post highlights (to me) is that retiring in a year like 1966 didn't work out well as much for socio-political reasons as anything else.

I.e., the country was in crisis. And the economy (and the capital markets) simply reflected that.

Not sure how actionable that insight is... but as I think about it, it makes me worry less about a richly valued stock market... and maybe more about the other issues we as a country or world are debating.