Author Topic: Which would you choose? (401(k) fund options)  (Read 2214 times)

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Which would you choose? (401(k) fund options)
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:12:04 AM »
So after much research I've decided that our asset allocation should be 80/20 stocks/bonds and 70/30-60/40 US/intl. With that in mind, I have our Roth IRA's in VASGX (Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth), her 401(k) in a mix of Vanguard funds to replicate it, and my 401(k) in a single fund that has similar allocation. The problem is in the expense ratios. The fund that my 401(k) has that is similar to VASGX has an ER of 0.30%; however, they have VFIAX available at an ER of 0.05%. Is it worth breaking from my chosen allocation to save 0.25% ER on our largest investment account? Should I just put it in VFIAX and leave the rest of the accounts as is? I'd rather not have to balance the allocation across all the accounts, I like having to pick a single fund for each one. I've also been contemplating 100% equities lately since we have around 14 years until planned FIRE. Not sure what to do.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Which would you choose? (401(k) fund options)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 12:11:54 PM »
So after much research I've decided that our asset allocation should be 80/20 stocks/bonds and 70/30-60/40 US/intl. With that in mind, I have our Roth IRA's in VASGX (Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth), her 401(k) in a mix of Vanguard funds to replicate it, and my 401(k) in a single fund that has similar allocation. The problem is in the expense ratios. The fund that my 401(k) has that is similar to VASGX has an ER of 0.30%; however, they have VFIAX available at an ER of 0.05%. Is it worth breaking from my chosen allocation to save 0.25% ER on our largest investment account? Should I just put it in VFIAX and leave the rest of the accounts as is? I'd rather not have to balance the allocation across all the accounts, I like having to pick a single fund for each one. I've also been contemplating 100% equities lately since we have around 14 years until planned FIRE. Not sure what to do.
I think VFIAX is a better fund anyways, so I think you're plan to use it and not rebalance is solid. I'm all about the 100% equities.

CoderNate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »
I'm 100% US large caps right now in my 401k. I'm hoping to get a 2% SWR so I can just live off the dividends of something like SPY.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 07:22:17 AM »
The S&P is 80% of the total US market anyway, so it's a good, low fee option for your largest account. You can add the extended market fund in another account to compliment it. But yes that will make rebalancing a little harder. Although those funds are highly correlated anyway.

Do you have any separate international funds in your 401k?

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 08:15:12 AM »
The S&P is 80% of the total US market anyway, so it's a good, low fee option for your largest account. You can add the extended market fund in another account to compliment it. But yes that will make rebalancing a little harder. Although those funds are highly correlated anyway.

Do you have any separate international funds in your 401k?

Nope. Just this year we moved from a single fund (company run, very conservative) to a management company (Milliman). When they held their initial meetings I asked about international and they said the only way to get international was to use one of the pre-built funds like the one I'm currently in.