Author Topic: Is vanguard down?  (Read 1208 times)

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Is vanguard down?
« on: March 18, 2020, 12:13:39 PM »
I can’t log on through computer or phone app. Anyone else with issues?  Want to buy more!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Re: Is vanguard down?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 12:42:46 PM »
I was able to log in on my laptop just fine just now.

I had occasion to call Vanguard about something else this past Friday and was on hold for a long time.  In times of volatility, Vanguard sometimes gets a little overwhelmed.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 02:03:52 PM »
Updated. Computer login finally worked.  Phone app still doesn’t. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 08:11:36 PM »
I noticed one day last week on one of those huge drop days the phone app was slow to log me in and process my taps.  I even had to go outside to get a better signal.  It was a bit nerve wracking as I wanted to place an order to catch the drop and the market was closing in a few minutes.  With a better signal I was able to place the order with a few minutes to spare. 

My guess is that their servers get hammered when there is a buying opportunity and the highest traffic volume is probably right at the end of the trading day. 

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 01:18:11 AM »
Oh, that's right - I saw Vanguard glitching near the market open.  Normally the brokerage screen has updated values of all ETFs after the market opens - they had values from the prior day.  When I went to the buy screen, I got correct info.  I waited several seconds, reloaded... did that once or twice.

Then every ETF I own had "--" listed for it's price, change and everything.  No data at all.  It was very odd, but I wasn't in a rush to send in transactions when that's happening.  So I logged out, and got back to it later.

What's especially puzzling is that Vanguard held up fine on Monday, March 9.  I sent in limit orders to execute at the market open, and they did.  I did some ill-advised purchases in the first 3 minutes of the day, before trading halted.  All of that happened smoothly.  I'm not sure what was up Wednesday morning (EST) of March 18.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 04:21:34 AM »
Been logging in and out everyday.....knock on wood so far no problems.