Author Topic: Where to start a Roth IRA? I already have a 401k..  (Read 3114 times)

PWGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to start a Roth IRA? I already have a 401k..
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »
Hi everyone -

Rather than sift through searches, etc, I hope you don't mind me asking for a recommendation on where to start/open a Roth IRA?

My company offers a 401k (low fund costs - it's nice!) and I've invested 10% of my own money, plus I receive an additional 6% company match, so total of 16%.

I'd like to begin investing extra that I have into a Roth IRA.  My company offers me the option to contribute ROTH (after-tax) contributions to my 401k but that's it; hence the contributions are NOT accessible, which was a deal breaker for me as I'd like to have that option.

I'd start with a small amount - less than $3,000.  What investment firms do you all recommend with lowest fund fees?  I am leaning Vanguard based on my knowledge of their low fund fee passive index funds but I've not yet looked much into it.

Thanks for any help in advance

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Where to start a Roth IRA? I already have a 401k..
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:29:28 PM »
The big players are generally fine; Vanguard, Fidelity...etc. Basically you can't throw a stick without hitting a company that can offer low cost index funds.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:31:32 PM »
I had mine with Sharebuilder at first because it was easy. I'm in the process of moving to Vanguard now.

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 03:39:56 PM »
Vanguard is the answer.  Cheapest fees of them all.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 07:45:30 PM »
I love everything about Vanguard, including the fact that the website addresses me as "Mrs. [FP] instead of using my first name. Low fees, good fund options--what's not to like?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »
Vanguard!!  Love it!!

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 08:53:41 PM »
I opened a Vanguard IRA last weekend.  Easy to do and when I had a question, their customer service was excellent.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »
Just to put another option out there...

Not knocking Vanguard in the least, but I really like Fidelity. They have a large number of funds that are extremely low cost (Spartan series matches Vanguard's expense ratios or are within 0.01-0.02%), and they have superior customer service and website interface, with nice tools and calculators. Sure, you can find lots of expensive funds as well, but you don't have to buy them, and you don't have to get "professional management" from them either.