Author Topic: Where Do You Hold Your IRA Accounts  (Read 1239 times)

2Old2RE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where Do You Hold Your IRA Accounts
« on: January 27, 2021, 03:50:49 PM »
Where does everybody hold their IRA and retirement accounts? I have have held our IRAs and Roth IRAs in a well known national financial services firm (better not mention any names but yes you know them) but have became very dissatisfied with them. Looking for recommendations.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
Re: Where Do You Hold Your IRA Accounts
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 04:10:23 PM »
Vanguard and Fidelity.

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 04:25:29 PM »
Fidelity holds both my IRA and Roth IRA. I use their "Active Trader Pro" application on my PC to make my free equity trades. The support has been competent with an average phone que around 5 to 8 minutes.

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 06:26:45 PM »
I have IRAs at the big 3: VG, Fidelity, Schwab. VG was my 25+ year favorite for saving, but lately they're ticking me off with a few things. I'm favoring Schwab as they've given me the least hassle as I transition from saving to spending.

But that may be particular to my case which has several unusual peculiarities that may not apply to others. (I probably won't elaborate.)

I got into each of them because they were the 401(k) custodian of various employers of my career. For a long time my standard operating procedure was to roll to a VG IRA but for again odd reasons particular to me I now have IRAs at all 3 and no remaining 401(k)s.

Full disclosure: I've worked *for* two of these three, including my most recent job.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 05:38:39 AM »
Schwab. Not only do they offer their own low-fee ETFs, but also those from Vanguard and many other vendors. Their platform also links us to our credit cards so that we can track everything in one place. Not that we use much cash, but we get enough free ATM fee reimbursements to more than cover our needs. I think you now get three free wire transfers per quarter, which we never use but are a nice perq. We also found a free Schwab advisor to bounce ideas off who is quite sophisticated and understands our FIRE lifestyle/goals. For example, he helped us think through pension-max scenarios using insurance products with my wife's pending retirement. DM me if you want his contact info.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 05:48:26 AM »
Vanguard. It's been fine so far. I transferred a couple of old ones in there and the process was pretty easy.  They were also really helpful when I called them to recharacterize one year. I wouldn't bother transferring if you are at Fidelity or Schwab.

Accrual

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 06:05:54 AM »
Vanguard.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 08:49:19 AM »
Vanguard