Author Topic: Where are the young people?  (Read 13031 times)

econberkeley

• Stubble
Where are the young people?
« on: June 06, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »
I have been to so many different events that hosted by investor groups (AAII,VECTORVEST,IBD) and I rarely see people less than 50 years old. I always stand out when I go to these events. Is there an national investing group that caters to younger people?

tylerherman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Where are the young people?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:28:23 AM »
Younger people generally aren't as interested in investing and don't have retirement looming, unless you're a mustachian of course. So you're probably just going to have to deal with the older crowd at events.

Maybe not investing groups but you might find some econ or finance clubs associated with your local university.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »
They're all trying to pay back their 6-figure student loans.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 01:34:09 PM »
Younger people generally aren't as interested in investing and don't have retirement looming, unless you're a mustachian of course. So you're probably just going to have to deal with the older crowd at events.

Maybe not investing groups but you might find some econ or finance clubs associated with your local university.

Even if you don't have retirement looming, why wouldn't young people be concerned?  It's a lot easier doing your investing in your 20s before kids than in your 50s with kids.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »
21 here, active investor and I enjoy talking investments. With bogleheads and vanguard I have all the information I need. Why do I need to go to events?

Why didn't I say this?  I hated these things in college.  They're all about networking and finding a job at the college level.  Not that I don't want a good job, but I prefer to go to events to meet friends, not find a job.

bkru21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »
21 here, active investor and I enjoy talking investments. With bogleheads and vanguard I have all the information I need. Why do I need to go to events?

Same here! I'm 26 and see no point. Put all investments in index funds and ride the wave...

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »
23 here. Events like that sound excruciatingly awful to me.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 03:23:43 PM »
No need to reply with your ages, we have a survey covering that, and yes, we're young here.  On these forums, the 55+ people are the exception, then under 30 (and especially under 40) is much more common.   But OP's point is very true: we're the outliers out in the world.  :)

I notice the same thing at all the real estate meetings and such I attend, I'm almost always the youngest one there.

Young people usually haven't realized they need to take ownership of their financial situation, older people have had more time to get smacked in the face a few times and figure it out. :)

(They also, obviously, have more to invest, versus a young person who might not have much at all.)

Edit: Typo.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 03:56:30 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »
Probably because they don't have much money?  Median net worth of the under 35 crowd was about $14k for the latest figures my lazy googling could find.  I believe that includes non-financial assets (houses, cars, etc.).

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
Because networking and social events with strangers is at the center of my definition of torture?  Take a look at the personalities thread - a lot of us are introverts.  If we can get the same information without the overwhelming sounds, unnecessary emotions, sales pitches, and people who talk to hear themselves speak, why would we?  Doubly so if we are the only young/liberal person in the room - our opinions would be dismissed without a second thought simply because we are young.  Also, second the no money thing.  A lot of us are busy maxing out our retirement accounts and haven't climbed the ladder enough to do outside investments.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 07:09:47 AM »
It sounds like the OP wants to meet people in person. If that is the case, then I'd scout around your town for others with your mindset.

Personally, I don't want to have more events to attend at night. I wasn't always that way, so I completely get wanting to meet new people in person--especially if you are extroverted.

econberkeley

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »
I think it is very useful to know people from diverse backgrounds who you can discuss the economy and the investment world with. You can learn a lot from such conversations.  It definitely complements the information you get from internet and books. It also has the social part of it. 

The interesting thing about investing is that the more you have, less you pay for fees and expenses. There are so many deals for investors for 500K+ to invest. You can trade for free and get additional free services. Also, you can diversify easily when you have that much money. You can buy individual stocks instead of etfs. Trading costs become minimal.

I think young people do not have the motivation to make long term plans to achieve this. They think saving few hundred bucks will not make a difference so they spend it all. Once they spend everything they make, there is nothing left to invest. It is a vicious circle.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 08:00:04 AM »
I'm going start an investment meetup targeted at young people.  It will have booze and attractive young people.  In fact, forget the investments :-)

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 09:10:17 AM »
23 here. Events like that sound excruciatingly awful to me.

I have to second that. Physical meetings for information exchange are mostly a thing for an older generation. When the internet has all the information an ordinary investor needs, the time, hassle and money of attending one of these events seems a little archaic.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 09:21:57 AM »
I don't know. If there's a social component too I'd go - I'm looking at going to winemaking and homebrewing clubs here in Columbus. Information dissemination is only part of the point. The really formal, pricy events (like those that professionals get CE credits at) aren't likely to be the kind I'd go to, but the more informal group discussions seem really appealing.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 09:25:04 AM »
I don't know. If there's a social component too I'd go - I'm looking at going to winemaking and homebrewing clubs here in Columbus. Information dissemination is only part of the point. The really formal, pricy events (like those that professionals get CE credits at) aren't likely to be the kind I'd go to, but the more informal group discussions seem really appealing.

I'd say winemaking and homebrewing are different in that they can't take place over a computer.  Sometimes you have to have an expert on hand to tell whether your mix looks just right or needs a little more time.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »
I'm going start an investment meetup targeted at young people.  It will have booze and attractive young people.  In fact, forget the investments :-)

Futurama reference for the win!

Meetup.com is a great resource for things like this.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 09:26:48 AM »
Or chicken raising, or real estate in some ways, or rehabbing historic homes, or gardening...

Landlording and especially financial investments are much more quantitative than that. It's not like the markets are inefficient enough that you can profit handsomely off a hot tip you got in a smoky back room.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 04:24:07 PM »
A problem with the events attended by the old people is they are usually paid for by someone, and thus a place filled with snake oil salesmen, high fee, reverse mortgage, time share, variable annuity, life insurance, etc etc etc.

But what about more social media based meetups?  Young people are possibly ideal for that right?  Free events, self catered, in parks or other public spaces.

RChan23

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 07:37:11 PM »
We're here, I've been lurking here recently and just created an account because of this thread.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 08:16:24 PM »
I'm young.

I wish I knew about events like this.

*runs off to google them*

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »
But what about more social media based meetups?  Young people are possibly ideal for that right?  Free events, self catered, in parks or other public spaces.

But to what end?

"So I bought some more VTSAX last week"
"Oh yeah? Me too."
"Hm. Nice."
"Yup."
"Wanna fuck?"

If you think stock-picking/market-timing/crystal-ball-gazing actually works, then I could perhaps see the point of such events (you get to hear the secret info that is completely unknown to The Internet and The Market!!!) But as Mustachians, we know none of that stuff actually works, so what else would one get out of it? Seems like it would be more fun to hang out with people who talk about less-boring stuff.

NWstubble

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 01:00:11 AM »

Winner!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 03:29:17 PM »
"Yup."
"Wanna fuck?"

I believe you've found the end... :-)

Grigory

• Stubble
  • (rhymes with "story")
    • my attempt at blogging
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »
If you think stock-picking/market-timing/crystal-ball-gazing actually works, then I could perhaps see the point of such events (you get to hear the secret info that is completely unknown to The Internet and The Market!!!) But as Mustachians, we know none of that stuff actually works, so what else would one get out of it? Seems like it would be more fun to hang out with people who talk about less-boring stuff.
Not another Efficient Market Hypothesis cultist... You don't need to have top-secret data: an analysis of a company's financial data, their P/E ratio, their moat and the integrity of their leadership should tell you which companies are under/over-priced. Benjamin Graham was doing that in the 1920s and Warren Buffett built his fortune on that "Intelligent Investor" strategy.

That said, all that research can be done on your computer - or even in a public library if you know what to look for. Going to real-world events to rub shoulders with other investors would be inefficient, unless you're there to share investing strategies in the the most broad terms.

Khan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 08:15:51 PM »
Young person chiming in. I just see no utility in going to a financial event, and a lot more bad that can come from it. I have an automatic distrust of salesmen, and so unless I was having an enjoyable conversation debating the merits of 'X' investment, I would be put off the moment I hear that someone is working for MS or some other financial 'services' company trying to fleece me of my money.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 12:23:42 AM »
I have been to so many different events that hosted by investor groups (AAII,VECTORVEST,IBD) and I rarely see people less than 50 years old. I always stand out when I go to these events. Is there an national investing group that caters to younger people?
Maybe everyone under the age of 50 is socializing online through Twitter events, webcasts, webinars, and other social media.

Those three organizations strike me as the kind of events that my Mom & Dad would attend... and I'm 52 years old.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 12:30:33 AM »
I'm 27, I go to the events when I can... I work nights and most of them are during the evening....

Find a breakfast event and I'll be there :)

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »
Not another Efficient Market Hypothesis cultist... You don't need to have top-secret data: an analysis of a company's financial data, their P/E ratio, their moat and the integrity of their leadership should tell you which companies are under/over-priced. Benjamin Graham was doing that in the 1920s and Warren Buffett built his fortune on that "Intelligent Investor" strategy.

That said, all that research can be done on your computer - or even in a public library if you know what to look for. Going to real-world events to rub shoulders with other investors would be inefficient, unless you're there to share investing strategies in the the most broad terms.

I don't think we want a repeat of the day-trading investor groups of the 90s... but what about opportunities for local investment, rentals in the same area and leveraging maintenence opportunities , or forming a locally focused 501c charity organisation. The charity could be legally used, for example, to perform beneficial public works in the same area as your rental properties...

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »
I take my mobile online dividend investments and travel the world with direct deposits. I also make rental income from tenants payable via online electronic payments direct deposited to my checking accounts. They save money on checks, stamps, envelopes, and time to hand deliver rent.

Challenge yourself to be more mobile and more global with investments. Some young investors already do this, and don't bother to drive downtown to a commercialized sometimes investment group meeting, where they talk an entire book away without any information being given.

Though Fishermen village potluck events every evening with local musicians and fishing 3 hours a day while flirting to find a mate, sounds like a great life too, without all the capitalism talk.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:28:00 AM by Freeyourchains2 »

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
But as Mustachians, we know none of that stuff actually works, so what else would one get out of it? Seems like it would be more fun to hang out with people who talk about less-boring stuff.

Isn't that the point of these forums though? There's still interesting stuff to talk about, people have questions, and people have answers! Personally, doing it in person is more fun than over the internet.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!