Author Topic: When to move funds??  (Read 1761 times)

dmbfan4life20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
When to move funds??
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:15:31 AM »
I have a taxable account through Fidelity that is in Advisor Class A share funds. I have ditched the Adviser and contacted Fidelity to stop all monthly distributions into this fund because of the Nasty loads (5.75%) and high ER's (1.4%). I would like to take this money ($30K) and get it out of these funds and put the money into Fidelity Spartan Funds with low ER's. I have had this account since 1/2013 and last month was my last contribution.

I am curious as to how I know when is the right time to be swapping funds? I am still learning and trying to figure out the tax implications of moving this money. Any thoughts or ideas of when and how I should do this? Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to get 2016 started in the low fee direction!

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: When to move funds??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 08:24:40 AM »
You will incur any tax liability in the year that you sell the funds. Any gains on top of your principal will be taxed according to long term or short term capital gains rate which is decided by your tax rate. Gains can be offset by losses if you've had any.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_gains_tax_in_the_United_States

When, IMO as soon as possible unless you're expecting some unusual amount of income this year. How, sell, set aside tax payment as you've calculated (don't forget some states have capital gains taxes too), and use the rest to buy low cost index funds with your desired institution.