Author Topic: When does a Short term gain turn into Long?  (Read 2607 times)

FarmerPete

• Bristles
When does a Short term gain turn into Long?
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:32:33 AM »
So, I have an investment that I've wanted to sell for a week or so.  Price has gone up crazy the last few days, and I want to lock in my gains.  I bought the investment on 12/19/2013.  I would have thought that it should have turned to long today, but it's still showing up as short on Fidelity's website.  Is this normal?  Technically, I didn't actually buy it on 12/19/2013.  I bought it years ago, but when the company merged/bought another company last year, they reissued the stock forcing me to sell (and pay taxes on it) and buy the new stock (with the same exact ticker symbol).

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: When does a Short term gain turn into Long?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »
No technically you bought the stock on 12/19/13. After a year it is considered long term. Not on or before. Check tomorrow.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »
"To determine how long you held the asset, count from the day after the day you acquired the asset up to and including the day you disposed of the asset."
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409.html

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
"To determine how long you held the asset, count from the day after the day you acquired the asset up to and including the day you disposed of the asset."
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409.html

But what is "one year"? 365 days, or calendar-date to same-calendar-date? Because, in a leap-year, those things are different!

Excuse me, I must run off to start a hedge-fund that somehow exploits this Leap Year discontinuity!! (I haven't Googled it yet, but I bet someone has actually already done this, or at least publishes a newsletter based on it!)

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 12:22:38 PM »
Bugger it.  I feel cheated.  Partially because I had a unplanned taxable event a year ago and was forced to get a bunch of unplanned taxed income in December, and partially because now I feel like I can't sell it when it's so close to going long.  Hell, it's already well off it's high's for the day.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!