Author Topic: What would Vicky Robin do?  (Read 1901 times)

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
What would Vicky Robin do?
« on: August 18, 2017, 05:39:29 PM »
We all know and love "Your Money or Your Life". 

In today's market, what would Vicky Robin recommend for an asset allocation in retirement, once one FIREs?

slugsworth

• Bristles
Re: What would Vicky Robin do?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 03:44:18 PM »
Take a look at her Mad Fientist interview http://www.madfientist.com/vicki-robin-interview/ . . .she doesn't spend a ton of time on it - but here is an excerpt:

"I go through my choices which are diversity. I invest in local businesses. I invest in solar companies. I’m a values investor where I’m putting my money—basically, I’m getting 5% of my money free and clear—and a lot more because I built two little apartments on the ground floor of my house, and so I have rental income. And eventually, I’ll trade one of those apartments for somebody to take care of me because I’m 72 and I think about this now.

So basically, I’m a values-based investor. I talk about those choices.

I talk about the index funds, all the varieties of people who are using index funds; and then some people who are using real estate and some people who are active investors.
So, I’m just saying there’s a range of choices. But I want people to have a basic foundation. And then, from that basic foundation, you build.

And I’m also redefining financial independence really as having choice in your life about where you put your life energy. I don’t think “set for life” works anymore. I’m not sure it ever worked.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: What would Vicky Robin do?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 03:58:34 PM »
Well... she sounds as awesome as ever! :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!