Author Topic: What non-stock/cash/real estate, etc assets do you see now see more value in?  (Read 868 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
I know that most folks in here are "staying the course" with their regular investment strategies/schedules but I am curious to know what assets folks are now seeing more value in/ would consider getting into.
Right now- I am most interested in functional assets that may go on sale that I can not only utilize but also potentially sell for profit in the future and serve somewhat as a hedge for stocks.
Random examples to give some ideas: "Van life" vehicles, higher end used bicycles at steep discount, furniture, camping/outdoor gear, sustainable food systems etc..
What ideas come to mind for you?

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
Not that I am in a position to execute the idea, but I imagine hundreds of thousands of lightly used cars will be repossessed soon, sold at a steep discount at auction, then slowly sold back to the same people at a higher price as the economy picks back up. Many of those people will be looking for “creative” financing  since they recently defaulted on their debt, so you could nail them on financing too if you were in the position.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
Cars for sure. I am hoping to get a big discount on my next one (second hand to begin with, natch). Dealerships are struggling and laying off staff so I don't think they're in a good negotiating position.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
I've always wanted to live on a boat. They get really cheap when rich people can't afford them all of the sudden. This might be another great opportunity (just like 2008-2009). Bonus, you can provision and live offshore for months in a Pandemic situation if your home sails.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
Durable assets like cars and trucks. Also construction equipment. Expensive tooling.

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
If you have a plan to start a business, there could be a lot of cheap equipment available.  For example, restaurant equipment will be dirt cheap (not that I'd recommend ever owning a restaurant).  If the recession is bad, I'd think that vacation properties would also drop substantially.  Many people rent these out in order to pay for them.  The summer season is already lost.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
If we've been in an "everything bubble" in recent years, where all asset classes were overpriced, then the only asset class currently looking good are equities. Their drop has been precipitous while others lag. Other asset classes are likely to see drops as well, but they'll react much more slowly than the stock market. We don't know how much those asset classes might drop, when they might hit the bottom, or if they'll drop at all, so you end up basically trying to time the market for another asset class instead of stocks. If you're trying to capitalize on a cheap asset class by market timing, I'd just take the 35% drop we've seen in equities while it's here instead of waiting and hoping for some other asset class to eventually see 35% drops too.

This is uncharted territory. We've never seen the entire developed world shut down at the same time. We've never seen millions of people put out of work in less than two weeks. We've never seen central banks and governments make Trillions in stimulus available, and claim that they'll do whatever it takes to remain viable. We've never seen them ban turning off utilities, evictions or foreclosure for non-payment. I don't think we have a historical parallel for what's happening now, at least in modern society. Perhaps a bird in hand is better than one in the bush?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!