Author Topic: What individual stocks are you guys buying/looking to buy ??  (Read 8324 times)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What individual stocks are you guys buying/looking to buy ??
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2020, 12:04:04 PM »
CRS, PFGC, DCO, & ANDE  were on my longer list that I wish I'd purchased. 

TDG is one that I bought a large lot of a few weeks ago.  It's rallied 10+% today & I'm planning to sell at least 1/2 of it.  I bought it because I saw an insider had purchased over $250M of it at $406-475 and I got in at around $330.  It went down for a while & I began reading negative info, which made me realize that I'd bought too many shares.  I probably should sell most of it.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2020, 12:17:34 PM »
hodedofome - What do you think of using SPDR S&P Software & Services ETF (XSW) as a benchmark?
https://etfdb.com/etf/XSW/#holdings
It allocates much less to top holdings Zoom and Docusign.  Won't those companies lose business when the lock down ends, and people are no longer forced to use their products?

GreenEggs - What stands out now is 4 of 19 picks (21%) all being semiconductor related:
Xperi Corp... Vishay Intertechnolo... Diodes Inc... Brooks Automation In...
Based on the X-ray data I copied here, does it seem like too much concentration in semiconductors?

A lot of my holdings are in that ETF, but then you get a lot of junk in there as well. For instance, I know people are switching to RingCentral, not 8x8. Why would I want to hold 8x8 stock if I know people like RingCentral better?

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2020, 01:37:56 PM »
I hate to disappoint all the bashers out there but I sold my Delta this morning at $26.50(a little above $27 now).
A $450(20%) return on my $2200 in 5 days. I'll take it.

You made $450 in 5 days???? Wow. Just Wow!

Despite your sarcasm, yeah I would say $450 on a $2200 in 5 days is a pretty good damn return.
Not bad for being called "dumbass" and out out my mind.when I bought it.

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2020, 05:56:28 PM »
I hate to disappoint all the bashers out there but I sold my Delta this morning at $26.50(a little above $27 now).

Despite your sarcasm, yeah I would say $450 on a $2200 in 5 days is a pretty good damn return.

$450 on $2200 is an outstanding return.  Davnasty indicated a few days ago that by betting on black you can get a 100% return in seconds.

Let’s go back to your original post for a couple of reasons:

1)   Did you post a few days ago to brag about your stock purchase or to learn?   If this the later, than please understand that the outcome of your stock purchase is independent of whether it was a good decision or not.   Paula Pant describes it as:  if you run red lights all the way on your drive home and you arrive 10 minutes early, that doesn’t mean you made good decisions.   

2)   In your own initial post you used the word “dumbass” two times to describe your actions.   Nobody called you a dumbass.   One person said “...people doing dumb shit”, not that you were a dumb shit, and that post was addressed by the moderator. 

At the very beginning if you had said you were playing around with 2% of your net worth then you would have gotten a very different response.  Your first post made you sound like a big newbie (your words); your later posts make you sound angry.   You get out of what you put into this forum.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2020, 08:08:11 PM »

$450 on $2200 is an outstanding return.  Davnasty indicated a few days ago that by betting on black you can get a 100% return in seconds.
Comparing buying stocks to betting on black is juvenile. I can sell my stock any time. Minimizing a loss.

Let’s go back to your original post for a couple of reasons:

1)   Did you post a few days ago to brag about your stock purchase or to learn?   If this the later, than please understand that the outcome of your stock purchase is independent of whether it was a good decision or not.   Paula Pant describes it as:  if you run red lights all the way on your drive home and you arrive 10 minutes early, that doesn’t mean you made good decisions.   
I actually never brag once until I got a bunch of bashing comments for no reason. A person has the right to defend himself. After being referred to "dumbshit" for buying an airline stock it feels good to make a quick profit.

2)   In your own initial post you used the word “dumbass” two times to describe your actions.   Nobody called you a dumbass.   One person said “...people doing dumb shit”, not that you were a dumb shit, and that post was addressed by the moderator. 
I didn't know there was a difference between a "dumbass" and a "dumbshit". Don't they both come from your buttocks ?? I mean if you were referred to doing dumbshit things mean you're a dumbshit right ??

At the very beginning if you had said you were playing around with 2% of your net worth then you would have gotten a very different response.  Your first post made you sound like a big newbie (your words); your later posts make you sound angry.   You get out of what you put into this forum.
Actually about 7 posts down, I said I had $50k to play with and people still jump on my ass for buying Delta. People love to belittle you on how you want to spend your money.
$50k is about 5% of my networth. Will that make a difference ??

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2020, 09:38:34 PM »

The problem is you think this ^^^ refutes the criticisms people had of what you are doing and the fact that you think that way actually reinforces the fact the criticisms are accurate. That whooshing sound is the point of the criticisms going right over your head.

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2020, 09:42:26 PM »
Jack0Life,  You're clearly smarter than me.  You're probably smarter than most in the Market.  I misinterpreted that you're here to learn.  Best of luck.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2020, 10:36:51 PM »

Comparing buying stocks to betting on black is juvenile. I can sell my stock any time. Minimizing a loss.

First, my point was not to say that buying stocks is exactly like gambling in every way, it was an analogy to say that your gains are not proof of a good decision. Just like gains from winning at roulette is not proof of a good decision.

That was my only meaning in my original statement but I'll add that what you're doing is similar to gambling in other ways. "buying stocks" is too general to describe what you're doing. Some people buy stock to invest in a business, that's not gambling. Others buy stock based on a legitimate strategy, that's not gambling*. You're picking stocks based on information which is available to everyone and your feelings, that's gambling. A much more complex form of gambling than roulette, but you're still picking hopeful winners without a clear advantage against other speculators.

*debatable and depends on the legitimacy of the strategy.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2020, 08:04:22 AM »

First, my point was not to say that buying stocks is exactly like gambling in every way, it was an analogy to say that your gains are not proof of a good decision. Just like gains from winning at roulette is not proof of a good decision.

That was my only meaning in my original statement but I'll add that what you're doing is similar to gambling in other ways. "buying stocks" is too general to describe what you're doing. Some people buy stock to invest in a business, that's not gambling. Others buy stock based on a legitimate strategy, that's not gambling*. You're picking stocks based on information which is available to everyone and your feelings, that's gambling. A much more complex form of gambling than roulette, but you're still picking hopeful winners without a clear advantage against other speculators.

*debatable and depends on the legitimacy of the strategy.

Again, from the beginning I never said any of my buying choices were good decisions. I even stated I was a newbie in stocks. No where from the beginning I said "hey look at me and my wise stock choices"
People in general just ignored the point of the tread(which is what stocks are you buying) and focused on my buying choice, Even after I said I had $50k to play with.
Of course what set me off was being referred too as "dumbshit" for buying Delta. I had to show this "dumbshit" actually made a nice profit on Delta.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2020, 08:10:56 AM »

The problem is you think this ^^^ refutes the criticisms people had of what you are doing and the fact that you think that way actually reinforces the fact the criticisms are accurate. That whooshing sound is the point of the criticisms going right over your head.

Criticisms is one thing but being belittled is another thing.
I'd bet you will take it in well if someone referred to you as "dumbshit".
Your sarcasms didn't help the situation either.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2020, 10:36:31 AM »
Jack0Life,  You're clearly smarter than me.  You're probably smarter than most in the Market.  I misinterpreted that you're here to learn.  Best of luck.

I too was skeptical at first, but OP has made $450 in one of the most volatile markets I have ever seen. Everything I thought I knew about investing is now in question.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2020, 08:21:14 PM »

I too was skeptical at first, but OP has made $450 in one of the most volatile markets I have ever seen. Everything I thought I knew about investing is now in question.

He has a pretty good plan. He buys stocks that he thinks will go up, then he sells them if he thinks they will go down. He has reasons.

I for one would like to learn more about this fascinating plan. Such an approach had never occurred to me.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2020, 05:19:11 PM »
I'll just avoid the haters. Usually got nothing to contribute but love to ridicule how people spend their money.
- Bought 50 shares of Gilead today @$79. If their remdesivir drug gets FDA approve, I'll sell.
- Bought some more 28 more shares of Abbott lab @$90. Its was all the money I had left in my Fidelity account.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2020, 08:06:49 PM »
I'll just avoid the haters. Usually got nothing to contribute but love to ridicule how people spend their money.
- Bought 50 shares of Gilead today @$79. If their remdesivir drug gets FDA approve, I'll sell.
- Bought some more 28 more shares of Abbott lab @$90. Its was all the money I had left in my Fidelity account.

Hey I also played GILD yesterday. Sold 4 put contracts with 2 days remaining at the 80 strike for a grand total of $429.31. They worthless now, but it was a real nail-biter for a minute there, like when GILD hit 78 mid-day! Earned in 2 days the rate of return the 30 year treasury bond pays in a year. Had I been assigned, I would have simply sold calls on Monday.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2020, 08:22:48 PM »

Hey I also played GILD yesterday. Sold 4 put contracts with 2 days remaining at the 80 strike for a grand total of $429.31. They worthless now, but it was a real nail-biter for a minute there, like when GILD hit 78 mid-day! Earned in 2 days the rate of return the 30 year treasury bond pays in a year. Had I been assigned, I would have simply sold calls on Monday.

This is a little bit more advanced for me to what you're doing.
Like I stated in the beginning I'm just a newbie stock trader. Since I have some money to play with and much of the stocks are somewhat at a "discount", I figure I give it a try. I'll learn along the way.

- I wasn't very keen on Gilead. I knew they were working on remdesivir but I thought Abbott was more attractive and I bough those instead. A friend of mine was convinced that remdesivir was the "holy grail". I read the report and the results wasn't that convincing. On that Thur when GILD closed at $84 and he told me he bought like 300+ @84. He kept telling me it will blow up once the FDA approves it. I told him I'll buy some Friday if it drops. Sure enough on Friday it kept dropping, and I placed my order for 50@$79. He ended up buying 400+ more at 78.5.
So after the market closed the FDA partially approved it and it went to 82.5 off market. We thought it will shoot up some more by Monday. Monday came and it fizzled out. I guessed the $84 price was baked in already. I still have those stocks.

- I sold off my Chase stocks. It kept going down and I sold them off @91.1. Just before my buying point. Should have sold them off when it got past $98. Ah live and learn.

- So I hit the jackpot today. Call it LUCK or a stroke of genius, I'll take it.
I've been following Ameriprise AMP, for a while cause it was on a list I read with good dividends.
I read on Tues that their earnings was coming out Thur and it was suppose to be pretty good. Their stock on Tues was dipping so I said WTH, lets take a chance and bought 50@113. It ended the day below $111. Not good
Wed came it the stock kept dipping so I'm like WTH, I'm gonna hedge my bet. Bought another 50@109. It closed @107.26. WTF. I really hope that earning report is great like I've been reading. A bit nervous here.
8PM came along and I looked at the off-market, it shot up to $115.36. WTH ?? Ameriprise released their earnings. Their EPS beat the estimate by like 37%. WOW.
I told my friends that night I'm selling at $120 if it gets to that in the morning.
I wake up after the market opened. I got a text from a friend telling to SELL SELL SELL. I checked the price real quick, it went up past $123. I have to head out with my wife for some errands. I logged in and determined to SELL. I sold at market price which ended up being $124.98. So from my 100 shares I ended making $1400 overnight.
The stock actually went up past $130 today and my friend teased me about it but I'm not greedy. It closed @121.73.
- Still have 228 shares of ABT and I'll hold on to those for a while. I'm up about $1450 on those.
Newbie on a lucky streak. I'll take it.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2020, 09:45:18 PM »
This is awesome. You should think about publishing a newsletter.

-W

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2020, 01:21:59 PM »
Technology and software is taking over the world. Most of these are up for the year or at all time highs.

AMZN
NFLX
RNG
DOCU
BILL
ZM
AVLR
SHOP
WORK

A portfolio of these stocks hardly saw any losses for the year, and have already recovered them. They are growing like bonkers and taking over the world.

That list is really kicking butt so far. 

Hostvf1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2022, 09:17:42 AM »

This is a little bit more advanced for me to what you're doing.
Like I stated in the beginning I'm just a newbie stock trader. Since I have some money to play with and much of the stocks are somewhat at a "discount", I figure I give it a try. I'll learn along the way.

- I wasn't very keen on Gilead. I knew they were working on remdesivir but I thought Abbott was more attractive and I bough those instead. A friend of mine was convinced that remdesivir was the "holy grail". I read the report and the results wasn't that convincing. On that Thur when GILD closed at $84 and he told me he bought like 300+ @84. He kept telling me it will blow up once the FDA approves it. I told him I'll buy some Friday if it drops. Sure enough on Friday it kept dropping, and I placed my order for 50@$79. He ended up buying 400+ more at 78.5.
So after the market closed the FDA partially approved it and it went to 82.5 off market. We thought it will shoot up some more by Monday. Monday came and it fizzled out. I guessed the $84 price was baked in already. I still have those stocks.

- I sold off my Chase stocks. It kept going down and I sold them off @91.1. Just before my buying point. Should have sold them off when it got past $98. Ah live and learn.

- So I hit the jackpot today. Call it LUCK or a stroke of genius, I'll take it.
I've been following Ameriprise AMP, for a while cause it was on a list I read with good dividends.
I read on Tues that their earnings was coming out Thur and it was suppose to be pretty good. Their stock on Tues was dipping so I said WTH, lets take a chance and bought 50@113. It ended the day below $111. Not good
Wed came it the stock kept dipping so I'm like WTH, I'm gonna hedge my bet. Bought another 50@109. It closed @107.26. WTF. I really hope that earning report is great like I've been reading. A bit nervous here.
8PM came along and I looked at the off-market, it shot up to $115.36. WTH ?? Ameriprise released their earnings. Their EPS beat the estimate by like 37%. WOW. If you can watch stocks on Checkman, you can look for liquid options there.
I told my friends that night I'm selling at $120 if it gets to that in the morning.
I wake up after the market opened. I got a text from a friend telling to SELL SELL SELL. I checked the price real quick, it went up past $123. I have to head out with my wife for some errands. I logged in and determined to SELL. I sold at market price which ended up being $124.98. So from my 100 shares I ended making $1400 overnight.
The stock actually went up past $130 today and my friend teased me about it but I'm not greedy. It closed @121.73.
- Still have 228 shares of ABT and I'll hold on to those for a while. I'm up about $1450 on those.
Newbie on a lucky streak. I'll take it.

I chose stocks that would be profitable and liquid. You should be able to exit the investment at any time (without losing the money invested). We must understand what we pay for, investing our money in a particular project (so invest only in industries in which you understand). New technologies are dangerous. The future of new industries (which are at the cutting edge of modern science and technology) is unpredictable.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 08:29:38 AM by Hostvf1 »

Rob_bob

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2022, 10:57:30 AM »
I chose stocks that would be profitable and liquid. You should be able to exit the investment at any time (without losing the money invested)

The trick is buying a stock that you know won't be down when you want to sell it :)

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2022, 01:38:33 PM »
Technology and software is taking over the world. Most of these are up for the year or at all time highs.

AMZN
NFLX
RNG
DOCU
BILL
ZM
AVLR
SHOP
WORK

A portfolio of these stocks hardly saw any losses for the year, and have already recovered them. They are growing like bonkers and taking over the world.

So, they're due to go down?
After all "buy high" is generally not seen to be a smart strategy..

JohnnyZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2022, 02:52:41 PM »

AMZN
NFLX
RNG
DOCU
BILL
ZM
AVLR
SHOP
WORK

So, they're due to go down?
After all "buy high" is generally not seen to be a smart strategy..

Out of curiosity I did a quick check, here's (approximatively) where they are now:
AMZN: +25% (thanks to a recent rebound)
NFLX: -40%
RNG: -75%
DOCU: -25%
BILL: ~0%
ZM: -20%
AVLR: ~0%
SHOP: -33%
WORK: don't know what that is

I guess now is the time to buy, except for Amazon?