Author Topic: What does your dividend portfolio look like?  (Read 18751 times)

financialforager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Financial Forager
What does your dividend portfolio look like?
« on: October 04, 2014, 07:31:12 AM »
I am just curious if there are any dividend investors out there. What does your dividend portfolio look like? Here is mine. I am slowing building my portfolio up to cover my expenses.

http://www.financialforager.com/my-investment-strategy-2/my-dividend-portfolio-page/

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
Re: What does your dividend portfolio look like?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 11:56:26 AM »
I am just curious if there are any dividend investors out there. What does your dividend portfolio look like? Here is mine. I am slowing building my portfolio up to cover my expenses.

http://www.financialforager.com/my-investment-strategy-2/my-dividend-portfolio-page/

I don't have a meaningful dividend portfolio to share, but I think your strategy is solid. I think the key with the individual stocks (It sounds like this is what you're doing) is creating a short list of companies you have incredible confidence in, and buying if and when they go "on sale."  Where this can be dangerous is when people see a stock on the big movers lineup and pounce just because the price drops.   

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 02:57:49 PM »
I own a few of yours but i would keep a strong watch on Mat....that dividend might not be safe much longer and the last straw for me was when Hasbro just started making dolls now for Disney that Mattel was. 

hobbes1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 03:31:49 PM »
While not dividends, we use bond funds and some preferred shares etf's. Vwehx, flbax, fnmix, jahyx, vwahx, PFF and rem. We have a solid 4% yield and this will likely increase as we invest more in them

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »
WSJ did an article on this today so I've been thinking about it a lot recnetly. Have you looked at VIG or DGRW? They are dividend indexes.
For international with higher payout lower expense ratio they recommended stocks in Canada, France and Austria.

MilStachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »
Vanguard High Dividend Yield Index Fund Investor Shares.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=VHDYX&ei=rn4wVPCSM8Ow8gay7oGgAw

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 06:39:32 PM »
VIG & VYM are the way to go if you focus on dividends. Both ETFs are one stop buy for a dream list of dividend payer

PAO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »
My approach to my dividend portfolio has been to build with individual stock holdings and to be biased towards some higher paying dividend stocks/REITS/MLPs.  My logic is that over the long term I'll be happy to have fees that are closer to zero and that higher dividends are worth a little incremental risk.  I'm sure there are arguments against my approach and I'd love to hear them.  So far, I'm using about 20% of assets in this model, mostly in an IRA but to a growing degree in a non-sheltered Vanguard account because  - for the most part, any single fund is no more than 0.5% of my total portfolio value.   

My time horizon for holding each investment  is pretty much forever.  I currently have 33 stocks/funds in this part of my portfolio.    I think conventional wisdom is that that's too many but I'm pretty comfortable with it; I like the diversification and absence of fees for the most part (maybe I'm essentially building my own fund).  Again, I'm interested in thoughts here. 

Some of my more mainstream holdings are ATT, BP, Century Link, Idaho Power, Pfizer, and Hawaiian Electric.

Others include O, PFF, SNH, HPT, ELRC, ISH, GOV, MPW, SIR, HCLP, STWD, ETP, and CXW.

Then I have some higher yield but riskier positions, some of which have performed poorly:  NLY, FGP, ARCC, NAT, and SDRL. 

I'm getting closer to hitting $1,000 in a single month for the first time from these investments - it's been fun to put together. 

financialforager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Financial Forager
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 06:51:53 AM »
My approach to my dividend portfolio has been to build with individual stock holdings and to be biased towards some higher paying dividend stocks/REITS/MLPs.  My logic is that over the long term I'll be happy to have fees that are closer to zero and that higher dividends are worth a little incremental risk.  I'm sure there are arguments against my approach and I'd love to hear them.  So far, I'm using about 20% of assets in this model, mostly in an IRA but to a growing degree in a non-sheltered Vanguard account because  - for the most part, any single fund is no more than 0.5% of my total portfolio value.   

My time horizon for holding each investment  is pretty much forever.  I currently have 33 stocks/funds in this part of my portfolio.    I think conventional wisdom is that that's too many but I'm pretty comfortable with it; I like the diversification and absence of fees for the most part (maybe I'm essentially building my own fund).  Again, I'm interested in thoughts here. 

Some of my more mainstream holdings are ATT, BP, Century Link, Idaho Power, Pfizer, and Hawaiian Electric.

Others include O, PFF, SNH, HPT, ELRC, ISH, GOV, MPW, SIR, HCLP, STWD, ETP, and CXW.

Then I have some higher yield but riskier positions, some of which have performed poorly:  NLY, FGP, ARCC, NAT, and SDRL. 

I'm getting closer to hitting $1,000 in a single month for the first time from these investments - it's been fun to put together. 

I think it is an interesting approach.  If it is high yields you are after then looks like you found them. There are risks with any type of investments. I think with any investment, spreading your risk out by diversifying is key. $1000 a month is very good. I agree that fees are also important in anyone's investment strategy. I try and keep mine as low as a can. Thanks for sharing your list of dividend stocks. I will have to consider some of these for my next purchase.     

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 06:52:09 AM »
VIG & VYM are the way to go if you focus on dividends. Both ETFs are one stop buy for a dream list of dividend payer
+1

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 07:05:25 AM »
+1

+2 If I was going for dividends, I would focus on an ETF or mutual fund, not individual stocks. I would probably choose VYM over VIG.

hobbes1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 05:43:36 PM »
If one wants riskier but higher yielding companies, one might look at ETF's such as AMLP, REM and PFF. These are a basket of companies each and thus, spreads the risk around instead of concentrating money into single stocks, any of which might tank at any given time. Just wanted to throw that out there as these options have excellent yields but IMHO less risk than individual stocks. I used to own NLY as well as KMP but got out of them earlier this year. I own REM and PFF now. Haven't decided about AMLP and probably won't buy that one as I have some (personal) issues with gas/oil stocks as well as tobacco stocks.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »
I don't currently run a Dividend strategy for myself, but if I did I would either have it kissing cousins to dividendgrowthinvestor.com or I would just buy SYLD.

DK

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »
Here is the list I was thinking of putting together for a dividend portfolio.

SDRL
NOV
KMI
PG
JNJ
PM

divinvestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 11:30:40 PM »
That's a good list DK, I currently own JNJ myself and used to own PG. I recently sold 10 out of my 14 dividend stocks in order to diversify. I subsequently bought an S&P index fund, an equity income fund from Vanguard (VEIPX), and the Wellesley fund (VWINX) from Vanguard. I just felt that even with 14 stocks, I just wasn't diversified enough and still found myself not sleeping as well at night as I could have. A good source for dividend stocks is the Dividend Aristocrats, which is made up of companies that have raised their dividend at least 25 consecutive years. Some dividend stocks I can recommend:

MMM (3M)
CL (Colgate-Palmolive)
KMB (Kimberly Clark)
WAG (Walgreen)
CVX (Chevron)

akdfjlkajsd;lkfjs;lk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 09:00:38 AM »
I've posted it on my blog, so here's my portfolio: http://dividenddeveloper.com/portfolio/ (Sorry mods if I can't give out links like that).

My top three positions are currently AXP, OXY, and PM. I hope to add XOM and BBL very soon.

I like yours, but would keep an eye on SYY and MAT. The rest should treat you well over time.

SDRL
NOV
KMI
PG
JNJ
PM

You sure so much exposure to energy is a good thing? 2 equipment operators and a pipeline owner?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:17:48 AM by DividendDeveloper »

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 09:09:03 AM »
Just regular vanilla Vanguard Total Stock Market Admiral Shares for me.  1.73% dividends - not really that much less than the high divedent funds.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »
MMM (3M)

Can I really invest in that Mr. Money Mustache thing ?

Just kidding, makes me smile every time someone mention this name

btw, as far as I know, they never give any trouble to this blog

DK

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »
I've posted it on my blog, so here's my portfolio: http://dividenddeveloper.com/portfolio/ (Sorry mods if I can't give out links like that).

My top three positions are currently AXP, OXY, and PM. I hope to add XOM and BBL very soon.

I like yours, but would keep an eye on SYY and MAT. The rest should treat you well over time.

SDRL
NOV
KMI
PG
JNJ
PM

You sure so much exposure to energy is a good thing? 2 equipment operators and a pipeline owner?

It is a concern, but we are so energy reliant, I cannot see the majority of people moving to anything else for quite some time. If these were my only investments I would be quite concerned - but I have a large stake in an index fund, and some other funds spread out in a dozen or so stocks. This would be more dividend based....which I would almost switch NOV with BP in that case, but I think BP and SDRL are a lot more closely related than NOV and SDRL.

Actually since PG and JNJ would be a big spot in an index fund, for overall diversity and to slim it down even further I would probably go:

SDRL
KMI
PM

akdfjlkajsd;lkfjs;lk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 03:06:10 PM »

SDRL
NOV
KMI
PG
JNJ
PM

It is a concern, but we are so energy reliant, I cannot see the majority of people moving to anything else for quite some time. If these were my only investments I would be quite concerned - but I have a large stake in an index fund, and some other funds spread out in a dozen or so stocks. This would be more dividend based....which I would almost switch NOV with BP in that case, but I think BP and SDRL are a lot more closely related than NOV and SDRL.

Actually since PG and JNJ would be a big spot in an index fund, for overall diversity and to slim it down even further I would probably go:

SDRL
KMI
PM

Ah, that clarifies a bit. I actually would have taken out SDRL instead of NOV, but that's just me. I seem to be one of the only dividend growth investors who don't feel comfortable owning SDRL. Something about the debt levels and that dividend seems off; I'm concerned about the sustainability of each. Definitely like PM and KMI though; I'm long both.

Mighty-Dollar

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 03:51:27 AM »
Here's some ETF's

XLP (the consumer staples index) held up very well during the 2008 - 2009 crash.
IDU (iShares US Utilities) pays a 3.62% dividend, but share price will be a bit vulnerable if bonds go down in price.

birdman2003

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 06:58:16 AM »
Call me stupid but I've started investing $200 a month in dividend stocks and funds within taxable accounts.  I also re-invest only 15% of the dividends and take the rest into my taxable account.  Right now it's only $4 a month, but with time that should grow and I can have a steady stream of cash to rely upon.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 07:41:48 PM »
I started a dividend focused portfolio in my taxable account about two years ago.  I haven't added to it this year because I was saving up a down payment for a house but I'm looking at restarting investing in it next month.  So far I only have 14 stocks. I'd like to diversify a bit more but I'm still trying to decide how many stocks I want to shoot for.  I think 25-30 May be th sweet spot for me.

I'm currently holding:

Microsoft, Intel, Apple, Kinder Morgan, Clorox, McDonalds, Wells Fargo, Express scripts, Aflac, APD, CH Robinson, CSX, Chevron, Lorillard

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 07:51:43 PM »
What about SDY? Follows the Dividend Aristocrats. Yes? No?

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »

We exist (dividend *growth* investors, that is). Such a strategy can create prodigious wealth (it has for us and our family). But it is risky, and there are certainly negatives (and a very vocal detractors club which extols the negatives).
That said, if you're interested in building your portfolio, you should read some articles about the basics of withholding taxes (you likely own the "wrong" Unilever, for example)...

financialforager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Financial Forager
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 06:40:52 PM »

We exist (dividend *growth* investors, that is). Such a strategy can create prodigious wealth (it has for us and our family). But it is risky, and there are certainly negatives (and a very vocal detractors club which extols the negatives).
That said, if you're interested in building your portfolio, you should read some articles about the basics of withholding taxes (you likely own the "wrong" Unilever, for example)...

Looking back I should have researched the tax with holdings. I believe I will still get a tax credit. Dividend investing, just like any type of investment is some what of a learning process. That is why dividend investing is not solely my only type of investments. I try to keep my portfolio some what diversified. I think we are all learning from each other in this forum.     

tucsonbassplayer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tucson Bass Player
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 07:53:46 AM »
Here is our current dividend focused portfolio......

GE, JNJ, PG, ESV, AGNC, XOM, COP, T, VZ, GGN, NLY, CVX, AMGN, PFE, ABBV, ABT, DOW, DE, EMB, FCX, , EXC, INTC, RIG, SDRL, MRK, PBA, RDS.A, STO, TOT, VEU, VWO, WFC, UTX, AAPL, CSX, KO, MCD, MMM, MO, PM, SO, XCO, BND, BMY, CAT, GSK, GIS, MAIN, KMI, KMP, KRFT, MDLZ, LMT, POT, SO

Sorry if there are any typos. Pre coffee post.   ;-]

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 12:15:33 PM »
Here is our current dividend focused portfolio......

GE, JNJ, PG, ESV, AGNC, XOM, COP, T, VZ, GGN, NLY, CVX, AMGN, PFE, ABBV, ABT, DOW, DE, EMB, FCX, , EXC, INTC, RIG, SDRL, MRK, PBA, RDS.A, STO, TOT, VEU, VWO, WFC, UTX, AAPL, CSX, KO, MCD, MMM, MO, PM, SO, XCO, BND, BMY, CAT, GSK, GIS, MAIN, KMI, KMP, KRFT, MDLZ, LMT, POT, SO

Sorry if there are any typos. Pre coffee post.   ;-]

What is your current average dividend yield across these holdings?

financialforager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Financial Forager
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2015, 05:34:21 PM »
My dividend portfolio is growing nicely. Looking to add to it this month.

AT&T Inc.                                                                             T                                          5.40%
Dunkin Brands Group                                                          DNKN                                  2.10%
HCP, Inc                                                                             HCP                                     5.90%
Leggett & Platt Incorp                                                         LEG                                      3.80%
Sysco Corp                                                                         SYY                                       3.20%
General Electric Company                                                   GE                                         3.35%
Unilever                                                                               UN                                         3.80%
Aflac Inc.                                                                             AFL                                       2.60%
Abbott Labs                                                                        ABT                                      2.09%
Emerson Electric                                                                EMR                                     3.20%
500 Index Fund Adm                                                        VFIAX                                      1.8%
Total Stock Mkt Idx Adm                                                  VTSAX                                    1.7%

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2015, 07:37:29 PM »
It will be interesting to see how much all these dividend stocks fall if the Fed raises interest rates enough that people stop bidding up the prices for dividend stocks and instead just buy bonds. Utilities in particular are substantially historically overvalued compared to the rest of the market (which is itself overvalued).

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 09:34:48 AM »
Although I'm happy to already own all of these via an index, I'm curious what the typical minimum holding value is for a dividend paying stock to reinvest automatically (DRIP).  Or is that even possible when you buy individual stocks?   

I'm finding some of my Vanguard indexes are not holding enough to DRIP, and need them to do so to achieve the nirvana of compounding interest without fees to buy more.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 10:09:43 AM »

Sorry, but you've got far too many ads and buttons on your blog for me to want to try reading.  Shit moving and blinking all over the screen. I'm out. 

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 02:54:37 PM »
VYM
SDIV
MORL

All three are dividend ETFs. I actually sold out of my DG stocks because I'm doing much more tax-advantaged investing in my 401k, which only has index funds, and so I have limited capital to invest in different DG stocks. I didn't feel I was going to be able to build up a diversified enough portfolio due to that, so I switched to ETFs for now.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 08:24:49 PM »
Here's a bit 'o history for y'all. My dear grandfather sold his family farm in Illinois in 1967 and invested entire $40,000 in proceeds in ABT at the suggestion of his cousin who was a janitor working there at the time. 

He had no pension...no 401k...no retirement savings.  Transferred most of his Social Security to his father (I guess back in the day, you could give your credits to your parents who never contributed to SS).

Anywhooo...in 1987, DG retired and sold half of his stake in ABT and put that $$$ into safer investments like bonds/CD's.

Kept the other half invested in ABT ever since then. He's now 90. Lives purely off their 2% dividend.

No RMD's to worry about or anything like that b/c he never had a "retirement" account whatsoever. But 90 years old and still that heavily invested in the market...not sure how I feel about it really. I thought he was toast 7 years ago when the market crashed...but he never said much...just kept collecting his 2% dividend which comfortably funds his frugal lifestyle.

Ok, now I remember why I replied to this thread in the first place. Here's my dividend mix:

CTL      T
MCD     GE
INTC    PG
GLP     BAC
VYM      C

VDADX
VTSAX

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 05:29:27 AM »
Taxable
APU
BBT
BPL
CMP
INTC
KMI
LOW
MMP
MMM
RBCAA
SPH
T
USB
UPS
VOD

Tax Deferred.
AEP
CVX
CLX
GE
GIM
GIS
HCN
ISM
JNJ just sold
KRFT
OSM
O
RDSB
PayX
SE
SO
SYY
ENLC
WR

theoverlook

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2015, 09:10:22 AM »
Here's a bit 'o history for y'all. My dear grandfather sold his family farm in Illinois in 1967 and invested entire $40,000 in proceeds in ABT at the suggestion of his cousin who was a janitor working there at the time. 

Dude, that stock has split 2:1 seven times in that period and gone from sub-$1 to $46.  Yes it hit $71 pre-meltdown, but even at its post meltdown low your grandfather was a wealthy man.  I bet the 2% dividend doesn't even require a particularly frugal lifestyle.

Oh, and my "dividend portfolio" consists only of rds.a since I only have one stock outside of vtsax.  Bought the rds with my play money.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 09:17:30 AM »
Anywhooo...in 1987, DG retired and sold half of his stake in ABT and put that $$$ into safer investments like bonds/CD's.

Kept the other half invested in ABT ever since then. He's now 90. Lives purely off their 2% dividend.

No RMD's to worry about or anything like that b/c he never had a "retirement" account whatsoever. But 90 years old and still that heavily invested in the market...not sure how I feel about it really. I thought he was toast 7 years ago when the market crashed...but he never said much...just kept collecting his 2% dividend which comfortably funds his frugal lifestyle.

Great story, and maybe you know this, but it doesn't have anything to do with dividends.

Morningstar's data for ABT only goes back to 1972, but assuming he invested his $40k in ABT then, his stake would have grown to $540k in 1987. Sell half of that and he has $220k left in ABT.  Since then, if he hadn't taken any withdrawals and had reinvested the dividends, it would have grown to at least $5.4M in 2015, a CAGR over that period of more than 12%. So even if he's been taking 2% withdrawals over that time, he still would have something like $3M worth of ABT.

If what you know is anything close to accurate, he almost certainly had nothing to worry about 7 years ago; if anything he probably worries instead about what he'll do with the shit-ton of money he's sitting on when he dies! Anyone withdrawing only 2% from a stock portfolio is playing it ridiculously safe (since that's only half of the 4% Safe Withdrawal Rate), and even more so if you're 90-year-old man!

If ABT had decided to pay $0 in dividends over that entire 48 year period, his situation would not be materially different. Instead of collecting a 2% dividend every year, he would have had to sell 2% of his shares instead, but his current wealth would be the same. Your grandfather is well-off because he invested in a company that proceeded to make shit-tons of money for decades, not because he invested in a company that paid regular dividends.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 10:54:44 AM »
Thanks, sky refuge, that's a great analysis.

I think you are spot on in terms of current value. He never really comes out and says what he's got. Over the years, he shared those bits and pieces...like his initial investment after selling the farm and how he sold half when he retired. The past few years he's complained about CD and interest rates being low. Probably has cash just sitting somewhere in the bank earning 1% or less.

I like listening to him talk about the good old days. Told me once he sent $1 into New York City to get a pamphlet from Wall Street on "How to invest in the stock market". He says that was the whole of his 'college education'.

After selling the farm he worked as a garbage man for 20+ years. Gave the owner's wife his monthly union dues, but she never turned them into the Teamsters Union so that's how he got scammed out of his pension. Guy had some tough breaks, I'm glad it worked out for him.

My Own Advisor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Own Advisor
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2015, 04:11:56 PM »
My dividend portfolio is growing nicely. Looking to add to it this month.

AT&T Inc.                                                                             T                                          5.40%
Dunkin Brands Group                                                          DNKN                                  2.10%
HCP, Inc                                                                             HCP                                     5.90%
Leggett & Platt Incorp                                                         LEG                                      3.80%
Sysco Corp                                                                         SYY                                       3.20%
General Electric Company                                                   GE                                         3.35%
Unilever                                                                               UN                                         3.80%
Aflac Inc.                                                                             AFL                                       2.60%
Abbott Labs                                                                        ABT                                      2.09%
Emerson Electric                                                                EMR                                     3.20%
500 Index Fund Adm                                                        VFIAX                                      1.8%
Total Stock Mkt Idx Adm                                                  VTSAX                                    1.7%

That's pretty good.

I would focus on owning about 20-30 stocks and then use VTI for the rest.

This way, the best of both worlds: dividends for passive income and indexed ETF for long-term growth.

ColaMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2015, 05:36:43 PM »
From largest holding (by market cap) to smallest: USB, XOM, PM, JNJ, LMT, T, COP, PG, MO, GE, WMB, GIS. WFC, KMI, SO, VZ, KRFT, JPM, GSK,  CVS, AEP, BBL, TGT.

Yield (based on current market caps) approximately 3.5%.  Yield on cost is, of course, higher.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2015, 06:28:27 PM »
From largest holding (by market cap) to smallest: USB, XOM, PM, JNJ, LMT, T, COP, PG, MO, GE, WMB, GIS. WFC, KMI, SO, VZ, KRFT, JPM, GSK,  CVS, AEP, BBL, TGT.

Yield (based on current market caps) approximately 3.5%.  Yield on cost is, of course, higher.

ColaMan doesn't own KO or PEP in a thread on dividend stocks?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:35:02 AM by forummm »

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
This way, the best of both worlds: dividends for passive income and indexed ETF for long-term growth.

No, you must have those two things reversed. Because I checked, and VTI provides dividends, and those individual stocks provide long-term growth.

Oh, or, holy shit, watch this: they both provide dividends and they both provide long-term growth. In fact, one is just a superset of the other. Putting them into two different classes based on their returns makes no sense at all.

And yield-on-cost is, of course, meaningless. Sell your entire portfolio today, and then re-buy it one minute later. I just dropped your yield on cost down to 3.5%, sorry! If that number changed even though nothing about your portfolio changed, how can that number have any meaning?

Since no one was actively showing a misunderstanding of dividends up 'til this point I've kept my mouth shut, but now I must speak up.

Hopefully everyone in this thread is aware that dividend-paying stocks are nothing special (though then I'm not sure why they'd have dividend-focused portfolios). By paying you a dividend, a company is taking it upon themselves to eat into your capital. There's nothing especially terrible about it, but please be aware that dividend money isn't coming from nowhere, and it's reducing the value of the stocks you hold.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2015, 09:33:40 AM »
Well that didn't take long.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2015, 09:36:40 AM »

It took a lot longer than I thought it would. I've been waiting for it for days.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2015, 10:24:56 AM »

What? It took 6 months! That's half a year! Enough time for a dividend-paying company to eject its own capital not just once, but twice!

Enough time for auto-parts retailers AZO and ORLY, who distribute their cash to shareholders via buybacks rather than dividends, to see their share prices increase by 35% and 42% (while their dividend-distributing competitors, GPC and AAP saw price increases of only 5% and 8%).

My Own Advisor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Own Advisor
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2015, 04:37:38 PM »
@skyrefuge,

I think you are missing my point.

With blue-chip stocks, you get mostly dividends and some capital appreciation.

With VTI, you get some distributions (ETF equivalent to dividends) and mostly capital appreciation.

If you dividend invest, with many established stocks AND invest in VTI you are getting the best of both worlds.

If you're not sure about dividend stocks, what to buy and hold or you're tempted to trade; index invest.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!