Author Topic: What do you use to track your financial life?  (Read 23813 times)

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
Re: What do you use to track your financial life?
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2015, 08:39:05 AM »
I use YNAB as well, but am confused by those who use YNAB and then Excel to track net worth.  Have you seen the reports that YNAB has?  Net Worth is in there, along with all kinds of analytical tools.

morning owl

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2015, 10:28:24 AM »
I use YNAB as well, but am confused by those who use YNAB and then Excel to track net worth.  Have you seen the reports that YNAB has?  Net Worth is in there, along with all kinds of analytical tools.

Yes, I've seen the YNAB reports, and they're quite useful. I use excel to track net worth overall, between me and DH, as DH doesn't use YNAB. Also I use excel to track our dividend income, to make future projections, and so on -- all the things YNAB doesn't do. I also have specific categories for income and expenses that can't be isolated with YNAB. Excel is just far more customizable than the pre programmed YNAB reports, though they are handy for quick glance snapshots of my own spending.

Interest Compound

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »
I would be absolutely lost without YNAB

Carter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2015, 11:51:27 AM »
Excel. I don't need anything more than that. And I also don't trust my info, let alone my password, to 3rd parties.
Speaking from an IT system administrator vantage point.  This is the best advice i've seen.
Always assume the location as already been hacked.  With that in mind.  would you trust what you are providing to whom you are providing it?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2015, 05:33:48 PM »
Excel. I don't need anything more than that. And I also don't trust my info, let alone my password, to 3rd parties.
Speaking from an IT system administrator vantage point.  This is the best advice i've seen.
Always assume the location as already been hacked.  With that in mind.  would you trust what you are providing to whom you are providing it?

Good point.

Assume your computer has already been compromised.  Would you trust what you are putting in Excel?

For the common person, I probably trust a 3rd party company's security (who has a reason to be cautious) over that person's ability to keep their device secured and free from malware.

To me it's an argument to go with the 3rd party provider (aside from the rare expert who is paranoid about security, so has both the means and desire).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

FI40

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2015, 05:39:20 PM »

+1. It's slightly more work, but I like to do things my way.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2015, 07:04:11 PM »
GnuCash for me.

Studly....GnuCash isn't for the faint of heart and mind....

Bah.

gnucash for me, too.  It is probably the most "correct" when it comes to accounting principles.

...and an enormous slew of backend scripts to process and make a shit ton of graphs and charts.  *That* may not be for the faint of heart.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2015, 09:19:07 PM »
GnuCash for me.

Studly....GnuCash isn't for the faint of heart and mind....

Bah.

gnucash for me, too.  It is probably the most "correct" when it comes to accounting principles.

...and an enormous slew of backend scripts to process and make a shit ton of graphs and charts.  *That* may not be for the faint of heart.

shit tons of AWESOME, more like it.

iamscottiew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2015, 09:41:45 AM »
YNAB all the way. I was a Quicken user for 10+ years but could just not get budgeting to work for me. Been using YNAB for 6 months and have become a believer in the system. Its simple, logical, and gives me just enough detail and control to stay on top of my finances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2015, 10:18:30 AM »
Excel... I dont trust the internet. I also have all accounts code named in the spreadsheet so even if someone sees it , unless you think a little bit you dont know what the numbers are :-)

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2015, 10:27:33 AM »
I'm happy with Quicken.  If I were to start fresh, I would give YNAB a try.  There are a few Quicken quirks that bother me, but not enough to justify the pain of switching.

I did use Mint a long time ago.  They had some serious issues syncing to my bank, and I had to delete my entire banking history just to get it working again.  "Free" was just too expensive in that case.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:22 PM »
I've been using YNAB for 2 years now. 
But I am starting fresh with my personal accounting this year, so I created new YNAB budget and now adding an excel spreadsheet.

SuperSecretName

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2015, 03:05:26 PM »
i use yodlee for account aggregation.  I do a lot of churning and would be lost without it.

Rodstar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2015, 06:31:14 AM »
I use a database called TM1 to manage all my finances - and I mean everything.  There are several modules:

- earnings
- property
- superannuation
- bank statements interface
- taxation
- operating budget

The output is a set of reports I use to manage both short and long term cash flow needs.

It also helps that I am a TM1 developer and built the database to suit my needs.

Considering the complexity of our finances I couldn't get by without it.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2015, 06:45:29 AM »

LibreOffice Calc.

...basically the free version of Excel in my free operating system.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2015, 07:18:23 AM »
Surprised no mention of Personal Capital.  It's not perfect (YouIndex is a joke) but I find it more than adequate.  The retirement planning tool is also useful (again, not perfect).  Best part is I don't have to do any manual data entry. 

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2015, 07:28:55 AM »
Surprised no mention of Personal Capital. 

I got tired of their phone calls.  Delete the account and no more phone calls!

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »
Surprised no mention of Personal Capital. 

I got tired of their phone calls.  Delete the account and no more phone calls!

I just ignored them all.  They stopped calling.

brainfart

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2015, 09:17:50 AM »
Pen and paper.
I currently have two lists. One with the amount of money I save every month, and the second where I write down all my ETF and stock purchases. That's all I currently need. The second list is actually redundant, my broker's watch list gives me all that information.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2015, 07:50:40 PM »
Pen and paper:)

Twenty4Me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2015, 11:26:45 PM »
I use PastelMyMoney for budgeting and for tracking expenses. It's all manual, and they have an app as well for capturing details on the go. I like that I can create 3 different 'households' on there, so I use one of those to track my stocks' performance, manually capturing the losses and gains of the past week/month. I also like that I can specify the currency symbol for a household, so I can track my local investments in one household, and my foreign investments in another.

Time spent playing around in there has allowed me to set things up exactly the way that I like it, and I like the reports that I can draw from it, too.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2015, 08:55:18 AM »
I use a lot of things.  But I like it that way.

YNAB for budgeting
Personal Capital for investments  (don't pay for their services, just use as an account aggregator)
NetworthShare.com for high level, online based NW tracking
Excel for tracking NW at a more detailed level, running projections, making charts for goals, etc.

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2015, 10:42:14 AM »
I used Quicken and Yodlee back in the day.  Moved to Mint a few years ago.  It was awesome until early this year - now it hasn't been able to update my primary bank info for a month, has incorrectly valued price paid for investments, doesn't allow me to categorize spending as investments, etc.  I'm getting close to ditching it.

Thanks for the reviews of other services!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »
I used Quicken and Yodlee back in the day.  Moved to Mint a few years ago.  It was awesome until early this year - now it hasn't been able to update my primary bank info for a month, has incorrectly valued price paid for investments, doesn't allow me to categorize spending as investments, etc.  I'm getting close to ditching it.

Thanks for the reviews of other services!

Ditch Mint for Personal Capital, you'll be glad you did!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!