Author Topic: What do you think of my plan for re-investing ?  (Read 1922 times)

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
What do you think of my plan for re-investing ?
« on: March 19, 2020, 11:05:48 AM »
I had about $355,000 invested at the top.  I took $245,000 out once I saw what was happening in China (before the crash started).  I have that sitting in a money market fund right now.  Should I just start buying $15-20,000 a day going forward? 

Joe Schmo

• Stubble
Re: What do you think of my plan for re-investing ?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 11:29:25 AM »
I say pick a structure that works for you, weekly/daily/etc you can plan it on market level or date or whatever puts you at peace. I'm a little in the same boat and having a defined structure really helped me.

FIKris

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 05:33:25 PM »
yes.

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 10:06:37 AM »
So far this is working pretty well.  I am doing $10,000 a day when I remember to.

plog

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 02:04:06 PM »
So you get it all back in, what happens the next time you see something "happening"?  Yank it out again and repeat this process? 

Things happen all the time--the wrong president, 2 countries on the precipice of WWIII, the AFC winning the Super Bowl, a major company declares bankruptcy, some financial nut on TV says the end is neigh, etc.

I think you need to reevalulate how you are investing and find a less hands on system. 

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 09:50:46 PM »
So far this is working pretty well.  I am doing $10,000 a day when I remember to.
Since you're willing to give dollar amounts, how many chunks (of $10,000) have you invested so far?

Market's were down about -27.2% YTD when you started this thread, and are -14.5% YTD now.  So far, you've been buying at discounts even as the market goes up.  Seems like a decent time to be dollar cost averaging.

After the U.S. hit 200 cases, I lowered by equity allocation by about 12% over a week.

Another question, if you recall: what specific day did you cash out of the market?  (Or which week, if that's easier)  I'm curious what level of cases in China triggered your decision - or how many U.S. cases convinced you.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 10:01:34 PM »
What's the capital gains hit going to be?

-W

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 10:18:02 PM »
Good job.
Curious what did you do with the other $110,000. Did you leave it alone ??

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 09:00:19 AM »
You took the money out of the market....as in went to cash?  Yikes.  I rebalanced at a local low from bonds to stocks.  Several months ago, in the before time, I rebalanced from stocks to bonds.  I have zero days out of market and have about 8 times as much invested as the OP.  Looking at my spread sheet this morning, the market isn't all that far away from my 5% band to rebalance once again from stocks to bonds.

I don't personally like your plan for re-investing.  I'd think you'd want to put everything back into the market.  Even if you put it all in bonds for now.  You know....when things were dropping like crazy, bonds were hitting an all time high?

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 11:27:01 AM »
You took the money out of the market....as in went to cash?  Yikes.  I rebalanced at a local low from bonds to stocks.  Several months ago, in the before time, I rebalanced from stocks to bonds.  I have zero days out of market and have about 8 times as much invested as the OP.  Looking at my spread sheet this morning, the market isn't all that far away from my 5% band to rebalance once again from stocks to bonds.

I don't personally like your plan for re-investing.  I'd think you'd want to put everything back into the market.  Even if you put it all in bonds for now. You know....when things were dropping like crazy, bonds were hitting an all time high?

This is NOT true cause I had all my money in bonds and I paid close attention.
The bond market VBTLX hit an all time high on March 6th @$11.63. It then dropped to a low of $10.87 on March 19th. Its been rising a bit to $11.42.
Considered the market tanking starting on Feb 19th, it was @$11.25. Its sitting now at 11.42, a rise of 1.5%. I hardly call that hitting an all time high.

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 12:39:08 PM »
So you get it all back in, what happens the next time you see something "happening"?  Yank it out again and repeat this process? 

Things happen all the time--the wrong president, 2 countries on the precipice of WWIII, the AFC winning the Super Bowl, a major company declares bankruptcy, some financial nut on TV says the end is neigh, etc.

I think you need to reevalulate how you are investing and find a less hands on system.

No I hadn't taken out a single cent since 2004.  I knew this time though that I had more knowledge than Wall Street.  It was obvious. 

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 12:40:02 PM »
What's the capital gains hit going to be?

-W

It is all in my IRA's and 401k.  I cashed out February 5th.  So far $100,000 back in that I took out.

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 12:40:46 PM »
Good job.
Curious what did you do with the other $110,000. Did you leave it alone ??

Yep!  Index funds...

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 01:58:31 PM »
Go all in plus do a collar strategy to insure against big losses.

https://www.optionsplaybook.com/option-strategies/collar-option/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!