Author Topic: What do you think of adding a low% of crypto allocation  (Read 233770 times)

the_gastropod

• Bristles
Re: What do you think of adding a low% of crypto allocation
« Reply #400 on: October 29, 2021, 03:26:28 PM »
Define trouble?

The value of the new units of whatever cryptocurrency are created as part of a block reward come from the same place the value of new USD comes from when the fed decides the economy needs quantitative easing*: People are placing value on the existing units (for whatever reason) and these new units are fungible with the old units so they also have value. In both cases if you create a lot of new units, people will value individual units less so issuing more units doesn't really create NEW value, it's moving a tiny fraction of the existing value from all the existing units into the new ones.

In normal currencies we'd call that inflation. In cryptocurrencies, the amount of value people place on them jumps around so much for other reasons at the moment that the small amount of value being shifted to existing units to newly created units is hard or impossible to measure.

*Or when the fed pays out whatever interest rate they've set each quarter on bank reserves I think. Although I'm less sure about that one as it's not a topic I know much about.

Yep. I think you are very close to getting my point. This behaves much in the same way a Ponzi scheme does: existing investors (stakers) are paid out in tokens whose value depends on new investment into the scheme. That’s it.

There is a lot of techno-babble and complexity around it, but it’s ultimately irrelevant from a strictly financial perspective.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #401 on: October 29, 2021, 03:33:16 PM »
Yep. I think you are very close to getting my point. This behaves much in the same way a Ponzi scheme does: existing investors (stakers) are paid out in tokens whose value depends on new investment into the scheme. That’s it.

There is a lot of techno-babble and complexity around it, but it’s ultimately irrelevant from a strictly financial perspective.

Yup. I can see the point you are making. But I do hope you realize that if you apply the concept of a ponzi scheme that broadly then the federal reserve also behaves much in the same way as a ponzi scheme since the interest they pay out on banks deposits with them is also in the form of newly created tokens that depend on the value people place on those tokens.

Money (in whatever form) is a fascinating social phenomenon, it makes our civilization possible, and it's also a terrible investment vehicle.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #402 on: October 29, 2021, 09:49:11 PM »

Yup. I can see the point you are making. But I do hope you realize that if you apply the concept of a ponzi scheme that broadly then the federal reserve also behaves much in the same way as a ponzi scheme since the interest they pay out on banks deposits with them is also in the form of newly created tokens that depend on the value people place on those tokens.

The easiest way to deal with this is to simply use the existing definitions.  A Ponzi scheme is a type of fraud.  Bitcoin is does not meet that definition.  The Federal Reserve is not fraud either.   When we start using wrong definitions then discussions get sidetracked.   

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #403 on: October 29, 2021, 10:03:08 PM »

The easiest way to deal with this is to simply use the existing definitions.  A Ponzi scheme is a type of fraud.  Bitcoin is does not meet that definition.  The Federal Reserve is not fraud either.   When we start using wrong definitions then discussions get sidetracked.

I agree that leads to a clearer discussion.

At the same time it's been my observation that when people try to redefine words in order to try to win arguments it is often more effective to think through point out the other ridiculous implications of their new proposed definitions of words that already have existing meanings than to just argue with them that they are using words to mean things that most speakers of the english language don't understand those words to me.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #404 on: October 30, 2021, 03:25:01 AM »
Let me try an ELI5 on it.

People hold Bitcoin in an account.  To spend it, they need to move it to someone else's account.  There are millions and millions (you're 5, right?) of computers helping with this need.

Someone decides how much of a "fee" they will pay to move Bitcoin into someone else's account.  Computers check that the person isn't cheating - that they really own that Bitcoin.  Then they try to take that fee, and build a "block" in the block chain.  Like a row of (a) and (b) blocks, where they are adding the (c).

Computers pick up the movement of Bitcoin because they want the fee each person contributes.  Computers then guess at the answer to a really hard math problem.  One of them wins, and collects all the fees in their "block".  But all the computers also agree that a new account is created to reward the computer with the right guess.  They made the next block, so they get a reward - a "block reward".

If someone tries to cheat, other computers will use math and discover they are cheating.  The cheaters are ignored, and don't get rewards.  The cheaters play in a corner by themselves with fake Bitcoin.  Everyone else uses the blocks made by millions and millions of computers.

The end.

(Is this the part where I teach kids "Just say no to crypto?")
If this were it, just transaction fees, there wouldn't be an issue (and the interest rates would be *significantly* lower).

The problem is the Ponzi aspect, where the bulk of the reward is in the freshly minted tokens, which have value because of the newcomers to the network. I haven't even yet brought up *this* aspect, but there is no transparency about: 1. how much leverage is in this system, 2. many of these purchases are with tether coins, loaned to companies (e.g., Bitfinex) with the very tokens purchased with the tethers used as collateral. This system is basically constructed of red flags. 

I know I keep making the MLM analogy, but that fits here, too. LuLaRoe members make some money selling pants. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. But those making any real money make the vast majority of their earnings by bringing on new LuLaRoe members. That is deeply problematic and unsustainable.
Notice how you say "if this were it", like I left something out.  I mentioned both transaction fees and block rewards, not just transaction fees as you implied.

"Freshly minted tokens" have the same value as all other Bitcoin.  How can you say those tokens "have value because of the newcomers"?  That claim is false - new Bitcoins have the exact same value as all other Bitcoins.

A Ponzi scheme collapses when there's too many withdrawals.  Bitcoin has been through multiple crashes of greater than 90%.  Ponzi schemes don't survive that.

Are you even aware that open source software runs the Bitcoin Blockchain?  You can download all the blockchain data, and view the code yourself.  There's nothing hidden.  Does that sound like a fraud?  Everything in public view?

If you have a problem with staking, my post said nothing about it.  It's not relevant to my post.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #405 on: October 30, 2021, 04:47:13 AM »
Notice how you say "if this were it", like I left something out.  I mentioned both transaction fees and block rewards, not just transaction fees as you implied.

Ah, sorry. It wasn’t clear to me that “block reward” meant “freshly minted cryptocurrency tokens”. I thought you meant the reward was just the transaction fees.

"Freshly minted tokens" have the same value as all other Bitcoin.  How can you say those tokens "have value because of the newcomers"?  That claim is false - new Bitcoins have the exact same value as all other Bitcoins.

…I don’t know how to respond. This should be self-evident. This isn’t really a debatable point—this is how the system operates. Let me try to illustrate:

- 10 coins exist, 5 held by Alice, 5 by Bob. The coins are cumulatively are worth $10. That is $1 / coin
- Alice buys a widget from Bob, and pays him 1 coin.
- The transaction is verified, a new coin is minted
- There are now 11 coins in the system
- How much is each coin worth now? (The answer is ~$0.91)
- How does that get valued back up to $1 or higher?

Are you even aware that open source software runs the Bitcoin Blockchain?  You can download all the blockchain data, and view the code yourself.  There's nothing hidden.  Does that sound like a fraud?  Everything in public view?

If you have a problem with staking, my post said nothing about it.  It's not relevant to my post.

To bring out the MLM analogy again—MLM contracts are readable, the system of MLM’s have been around for over half a century and they’re typically completely legal! Nor are they technically ponzis. No fraud there, either. But I’d hardly suggest participating is a wise decision.

My original question was specifically about the source of revenues one earns from staking. Many responses later, no one has successfully answered. I’m trying to show y’all the answer, but there is much hard-headedness 😂
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 04:49:15 AM by the_gastropod »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #406 on: October 30, 2021, 06:20:36 AM »

Ah, sorry. It wasn’t clear to me that “block reward” meant “freshly minted cryptocurrency tokens”. I thought you meant the reward was just the transaction fees.

…I don’t know how to respond. This should be self-evident. This isn’t really a debatable point—this is how the system operates. Let me try to illustrate:

- 10 coins exist, 5 held by Alice, 5 by Bob. The coins are cumulatively are worth $10. That is $1 / coin

To bring out the MLM analogy again—MLM contracts are readable, the system of MLM’s have been around for over half a century and they’re typically completely legal! Nor are they technically ponzis. No fraud there, either. But I’d hardly suggest participating is a wise decision.

My original question was specifically about the source of revenues one earns from staking. Many responses later, no one has successfully answered. I’m trying to show y’all the answer, but there is much hard-headedness 😂

You're arguing with someone who is citing the last 10-15 years as reasons for investing strategy in multiple threads on here. Also someone trading gme options I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

MOD NOTE: Attack an argument, not a person, please.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:25:54 PM by arebelspy »

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #407 on: October 30, 2021, 09:51:28 AM »

You're asking a separate question about how the value of a currency is set, which is different from the point that each unit of a currency has the same value as each other unit.

When there are 10 coins in the system each is worth the same as every other coin. When there are 11 coins in the system each is worth the same as every other coin because units of currency are fungible. You, like Peter Schiff and other gold bugs, are argue that creating a new units of a currency out of thin air inflates away the value of each unit of the currency in a precise mathematical relationship. Schiff is constantly running around complaining that, because the fed created an extra $3T since the start of 2020 and doubled the M0 money supply, that means all of our dollars are inherently worth half as much. I don't know about you, but while prices have gone up a little, it certainly does not cost me 2x as much to buy the same things I would buy in 2019. Has your cost of living doubled since the start of 2020?

In any case, let's imagine you and Peter Schiff were right and the value of currencies were determined by some mathematical formula and not the emergent behavior of hordes of irrational human beings. Even so, that doesn't require any newcomers to participate in a cryptocurrency in order to transfer value to the people who are either mining or staking. The block reward transfers value from all holders of existing coins to the people doing the mining or staking. Transaction fees transfer value from people making transactions to people doing the mining and staking. And that system for transferring value works perfectly well even if the creation of 10% more units of currency (1.1/1) inherently produces an approximately ~9% decline in the value of the currency (1/1.1).

I (and many others) have explained to you multiple times in different ways is that what seems to be bothering you about how cryptocurrencies work is actually how ALL currencies work. New units are created out of thin air, whether by a computer algorithm, an expert at the fed pushing a button, or (back in the day) a printing press stamping words on a piece of paper, or (further back in the day) somebody dumping extra lead into a crucible of molten metal so the same amount of silver would produce more total coins. In every case each unit is worth the same as each other unit. In every case the value of the units of a currency will change over time for a whole host of reasons (including as a result of creating new units of the currency, but, as the example of the dollar shows, not by a fixed and predictable mathematical formula).

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #408 on: October 30, 2021, 10:38:46 AM »
So, onecoolcat, since you are so rational actually answer the question - where does your investment return come from? As Jerry McGuire's client said - show me the money!

Mostly from people buying my VTSMX at a higher price than I paid for it.  You?

That's incomplete.  It is like saying it gets dark because the sun goes down without explaining why the sun goes down.     Why does VTSMX go up in price?  Over any reasonably long period of time, the broader markets increase in price by GDP growth, plus inflation, plus dividends.  That's exactly as you'd expect.  To put it another way, the price (ultimately) goes up because the underlying businesses make more money and therefore become more valuable.  Obviously, the price can be whacky in either direction, but over time the returns follow that formula. 

Why does Bitcoin go up in price?   Bitcoin goes up in price because more people want to own it today than owned it yesterday.  Supply and demand.  That's it.  There is no underlying enterprise that is generating value. 

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #409 on: November 01, 2021, 01:01:48 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/01/investing/squid-game-cryptocurrency-scam/index.html?utm_source=optzlynewmarketribbon

^Does this nudge anyone into admitting "well, maybe it could all be a giant pump and dump scam"?

Or do the particulars get in the way? I.e. that cryptocurrency had a different name / smaller market cap than the ones I'm invested in.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #410 on: November 01, 2021, 01:28:55 PM »
I don't think bitcoin is a pump and dump scam.  The price has risen so much and it has been around for so long now that I have to believe anyone considering pumping and dumping would have done so already.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #411 on: November 01, 2021, 03:09:59 PM »
I don't think bitcoin is a pump and dump scam.  The price has risen so much and it has been around for so long now that I have to believe anyone considering pumping and dumping would have done so already.

I'm not so sure. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the whole market is fraudulent. With Tether, there's possibly ~$60B of completely fabricated-from-thin-air fake Tether dollars being used to pump up the value of many cryptocurrencies. I think Tether has been "dumping" USD from the system and re-injecting fake USDT, maintaining just enough USD to handle day-to-day withdrawals and YOLOing it until then.

Here's a flowchart of how this scheme could work:

Sourced from: https://medium.com/nerd-for-tech/greatest-scam-in-history-by-tether-76ac059b9550

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #412 on: November 01, 2021, 05:41:14 PM »
What timing! The Treasury just put out a report on stable coins very much suggesting Tether is a huge systemic risk.  https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/StableCoinReport_Nov1_508.pdf

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #413 on: November 02, 2021, 09:13:29 AM »

You're arguing with someone who is citing the last 10-15 years as reasons for investing strategy in multiple threads on here. Also someone trading gme options I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
You like to do character assassination, do you?

Could you quote where I say "the last 10-15 years" determine investment strategy?  When you attack someone, maybe you should be accurate, instead of slandering them?

Nothing in your post relates to the content of what I posted earlier in this thread.  If you think that's how this forum works, re-read the forum rules.  It's not.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #414 on: November 02, 2021, 09:18:37 AM »

Maybe you don't know what to say because you removed the key quote that started this part of the discussion.  Here it is, quoted again:

The problem is the Ponzi aspect, where the bulk of the reward is in the freshly minted tokens, which have value because of the newcomers to the network.
Here you said "freshly minted tokens, which have value because of newcomers to the network".  Is that false or not?  That was my point, not the strawman argument about coins going above $1, which I never brought up.

Freshly minted tokens do not go up in isolation from other tokens.  Or drop in isolation - all tokens have the same value.  So it was incorrect to single out freshly minted tokens as being the only one which have value owing to newcomers.

mattpew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #415 on: November 02, 2021, 04:44:40 PM »
Unfamiliar with Crypto - hoping someone can answer this:

It seems the valuation of cryptocurrency is a result of weighing the downside risk of a given token being obsolete (worthless) vs the massive upside of potentially replacing a portion of the current fiat currency system.

Is this a correct take?

Furthermore - if that is correct, what reason do investors currently have to believe that the existing power structure supporting fiat currency will be so amicable in relinquishing this incredible power?  It seems fairly easy to regulate on the supply side (ie make it illegal for businesses to accept payment in cryptocurrency) to effectively nullify the bull case.

Any help is appreciated.

Juan Ponce de León

• Bristles
« Reply #416 on: November 02, 2021, 06:15:00 PM »
Bitcoin doesn't go up in value because it may one day be used in businesses to buy goods and services.  It goes up in value because it is a scarce asset  that people want to hold and don't want to sell.  There's only 21 million bitcoins and that's all there will ever be.  The network is still in its growth phase with millions of new users coming in and we're all just fighting for a piece of that pie.  The amount traded on exchanges which sets the price is actually very low, the vast majority of bitcoin is stored away in offline wallets for the long term, no one is looking to spend it in shops, noone spends gold bullion or apple shares in shops either, it's a long term investment.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #417 on: November 02, 2021, 08:18:33 PM »
Bitcoin doesn't go up in value because it may one day be used in businesses to buy goods and services.  It goes up in value because it is a scarce asset  that people want to hold and don't want to sell.  There's only 21 million bitcoins and that's all there will ever be.  The network is still in its growth phase with millions of new users coming in and we're all just fighting for a piece of that pie.  The amount traded on exchanges which sets the price is actually very low, the vast majority of bitcoin is stored away in offline wallets for the long term, no one is looking to spend it in shops, noone spends gold bullion or apple shares in shops either, it's a long term investment.

So bitcoin isn't a currency. It's an asset?

It's literally called a cryptocurrency.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #418 on: November 02, 2021, 08:36:45 PM »

I was told earlier it could be a currency bc a consensus could decide to change the 21 million limit. So is it actually a limit?  Also scarcity of something does not make it valuable. Definition of value is determined by humans. Today it has value. Tomorrow it could be worth 0. It's 100% a human emotion play giving value to this thing. It doesn't produce anything. It doesn't do anything except people are stuffing it in their "mattresses" it's an anomaly of a digital age and an inflated market with people misunderstanding the stock market as a risky gamble. And then assuming BTC is the same risky gamble but look at the returns. Fomo heaven. Likely propped up on illegal stable coins and over marketing. 1929 rush on stable coins comes and this all collapses.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #419 on: November 02, 2021, 09:44:08 PM »

I was told earlier it could be a currency bc a consensus could decide to change the 21 million limit. So is it actually a limit?  Also scarcity of something does not make it valuable. Definition of value is determined by humans. Today it has value. Tomorrow it could be worth 0. It's 100% a human emotion play giving value to this thing. It doesn't produce anything. It doesn't do anything except people are stuffing it in their "mattresses" it's an anomaly of a digital age and an inflated market with people misunderstanding the stock market as a risky gamble. And then assuming BTC is the same risky gamble but look at the returns. Fomo heaven. Likely propped up on illegal stable coins and over marketing. 1929 rush on stable coins comes and this all collapses.

That is not what you were told.  Bitcoin has been described as many things; an asset, a currency, even a commodity.  Contrary to your obsession, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it occupying each of those spaces depending upon how the owner treats it.  In the end, its governed by the code and secured by the network that we value.  If that has no value to you then don't buy it.  No one cares.   

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #420 on: November 02, 2021, 11:07:30 PM »

Very direct answer, much respect for that.

Juan Ponce de León

• Bristles
« Reply #421 on: November 02, 2021, 11:19:57 PM »

It's quite obviously an asset, it has a current market cap of nearly $1.2Trillion.  You can call it whatever you want and by this stage it doesn't matter what the original intentions of some supposed Japanese guy in a basement were when he created Bitcoin, bitcoin is now it's own beast and all that matters now is how bitcoin is being used and valued and adopted globally and where it is headed into the future.  Bitcoin and crypto in general is here to stay, I honestly would not want to be one of the people who knew all about bitcoin in these early days, argued about it on the internet all day until they were blue in the face but never owned any and completely missed the bus. 

Soon Bitcoins market cap value will flip silver and after that there is only Amazon, Google, Saudi Aramco, Apple and Microsoft to go on the way to flipping Gold which is about a 10x away for BTC.  For reference BTC has done roughly a 238x since 2015.  It has been said that Bitcoin is a monetary black hole that will suck up and dominate all other asset classes.  I'm yet to see anything to suggest that it is not progressively doing exactly that.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #422 on: November 03, 2021, 04:58:48 AM »

It's quite obviously an asset, it has a current market cap of nearly $1.2Trillion.  You can call it whatever you want and by this stage it doesn't matter what the original intentions of some supposed Japanese guy in a basement were when he created Bitcoin, bitcoin is now it's own beast and all that matters now is how bitcoin is being used and valued and adopted globally and where it is headed into the future.  Bitcoin and crypto in general is here to stay, I honestly would not want to be one of the people who knew all about bitcoin in these early days, argued about it on the internet all day until they were blue in the face but never owned any and completely missed the bus. 

Soon Bitcoins market cap value will flip silver and after that there is only Amazon, Google, Saudi Aramco, Apple and Microsoft to go on the way to flipping Gold which is about a 10x away for BTC.  For reference BTC has done roughly a 238x since 2015.  It has been said that Bitcoin is a monetary black hole that will suck up and dominate all other asset classes.  I'm yet to see anything to suggest that it is not progressively doing exactly that.

so its only gone up since 2015 so based on that information i've decided it can only go up and dominate the world.  Good luck 6 years is an infinitely small time in the money game.

and FOMO sorry i missed that part of your post in the middle there. 

so there we have it folks the reason to hold BTC is FOMO and it always goes up.  If you don't have FOMO over this and don't believe 6 years of it always goes up makes it "a long term investment" there is no reason to be in it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 05:15:18 AM by boarder42 »

Juan Ponce de León

• Bristles
« Reply #423 on: November 03, 2021, 05:30:32 AM »

so its only gone up since 2015 so based on that information i've decided it can only go up and dominate the world.  Good luck 6 years is an infinitely small time in the money game.

so there we have it folks the reason to hold BTC is FOMO and it always goes up.  If you don't have FOMO over this and don't believe 6 years of it always goes up makes it "a long term investment" there is no reason to be in it.

You sound very upset, please try not to get emotional over this.  I'll stick to my opinion and you stick to yours.  My opinion has made me a lot of money this year so I'm fairly happy with it for now.  Let's see what the future brings.  So exciting isn't it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 05:33:01 AM by Juan Ponce de León »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #424 on: November 03, 2021, 05:37:20 AM »

You sound very upset, please try not to get emotional over this.  I'll stick to my opinion and you stick to yours.  My opinion has made me a lot of money this year so I'm fairly happy with it for now.  Let's see what the future brings.  So exciting isn't it.

i'm not upset over it i've got more money than i'll ever need invested in predictable long term assets.

this entire thread is an opinion thread on our thoughts of adding crypto - hope you're right - you being right doesn't negatively affect me in any way.  but it could negatively affect future investments for those who choose to use 6 year returns and FOMO as reasons for "investing" in something.  I bought lottery tickets for 6 years and i won 1B dollars now i'm going to "invest" 100MM a year in lotto tickets!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #425 on: November 03, 2021, 06:49:27 AM »

@Juan Ponce de León , are there conditions under which you'd sell some Bitcoin to lock in those gains?

Juan Ponce de León

• Bristles
« Reply #426 on: November 03, 2021, 12:21:49 PM »

@Juan Ponce de León , are there conditions under which you'd sell some Bitcoin to lock in those gains?

Yeah absolutely.  If we get a parabolic move up I'll be looking to de-risk some but mainly from my alt coin positions which I have way too much of.  I also cash out some of my defi yield every week but mainly I use it to buy more crypto.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #427 on: November 03, 2021, 12:48:10 PM »

Yeah absolutely.  If we get a parabolic move up I'll be looking to de-risk some but mainly from my alt coin positions which I have way too much of.  I also cash out some of my defi yield every week but mainly I use it to buy more crypto.

Do you have a number/spreadsheet somewhere where you're tracking this, or is it more of a "gut" thing?

forgerator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #428 on: November 03, 2021, 02:31:36 PM »

it looks like me and you are exactly the same person! Been observing BTC first when it was around $100 in 2012, then $1k in 2013. Followed its crash back to $100 after the Mount Gox fiasco and dismissed it as a fad / ponzi. Then when I heard in Dec 2017 that BTC was at $17k I had had enough and invested a small bag and also in a smattering of other alts mostly in Eth. That's when everything crashed but I kept buying dips again and again. Today around 50% of my NW is tied to crypto. Not the most wise decision but at this point I am failing to see any other asset class outperform crypto, everything else including stocks looks dull and old fashioned.
I too am looking to offload a good chunk early next year depending on a 2017 style parabolic run, and yes I cash out my DeFi yields every day for some of the most lucrative passive income I have ever generated (even high risk REITS don't come close).
My plan by mid next year - start a huge stable coin LP on beefy.finance or other compounding vaults, stake for 20% returns and re-enter crypto as it goes through yet another boom to bust cycle.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #429 on: November 03, 2021, 02:51:45 PM »

Sorry if I missed this earlier. If you don't mind my asking, @Juan Ponce de León, what % of your portfolio is in crypto vs conventional financial assets?

Is % the way you allocate to the non-crypto portion, or do you have other criteria instead (5 years' conventional assets, paid off house but the rest is crypto, etc)?

Are you seeking a FIRE target in some conventional way (eg, 25x annual spending) or using other goals for your accumulation strategies?

Juan Ponce de León

• Bristles
« Reply #430 on: November 03, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »

Do you have a number/spreadsheet somewhere where you're tracking this, or is it more of a "gut" thing?

There's portfolio tracking sites that keep an eye on a lot of it for you, you just enter in your wallet addresses.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #431 on: November 03, 2021, 05:11:33 PM »

That is not what you were told.  Bitcoin has been described as many things; an asset, a currency, even a commodity.  Contrary to your obsession, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it occupying each of those spaces depending upon how the owner treats it.  In the end, its governed by the code and secured by the network that we value.  If that has no value to you then don't buy it.  No one cares.

He just likes to rile up the troops:). He must have seen the latest media article on stable coins - now he's even more confused. Obviously jumped to the conclusion that they are now illegal. Clueless.
You can buy them all day on any of the US exchanges and earn 8-9-10% interest on them at places like Block Fi.
He just forgot to insert "illegal beanie babies collection" his usual MO when giving his three or four liner diatribe on crypto.

All the President's Work Group said in their report about stable coins is that they want to regulate stablecoins.
The report calls for legislation to limit stable coin issuance to "insured depositories" aka banks and credit unions.

It is no surprise that the FED and the SEC/CFTC want full control, stable coins are a threat to the system. The banks just want the money back that flowed out of our no-interest bank accounts into crypto.
This is of course US-centric for US$ backed/pegged stable coins. We want regulation for crypto - so there you go.

In essence, this is just another indication that crypto is here to stay. It will work itself out. It's not like Mastercard or Visa will give up their new blockchain technology giving them speed and security and of course profit. The banks get their funds and custodial powers and everyone will benefit from the efficiency of the payment platforms from the hedge funds to the little guy sending money home to Timbuktu.

The idea that bitcoin is 'likely propped up on illegal stable coins" is so out in left field it is laughable.
Bitcoin and stable coins have nothing at all to do with each other. That's like pointing to the sun and calling it the moon.     

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #432 on: November 03, 2021, 05:29:04 PM »

He just likes to rile up the troops:). He must have seen the latest media article on stable coins - now he's even more confused. Obviously jumped to the conclusion that they are now illegal. Clueless.
You can buy them all day on any of the US exchanges and earn 8-9-10% interest on them at places like Block Fi.
He just forgot to insert "illegal beanie babies collection" his usual MO when giving his three or four liner diatribe on crypto.

All the President's Work Group said in their report about stable coins is that they want to regulate stablecoins.
The report calls for legislation to limit stable coin issuance to "insured depositories" aka banks and credit unions.

It is no surprise that the FED and the SEC/CFTC want full control, stable coins are a threat to the system. The banks just want the money back that flowed out of our no-interest bank accounts into crypto.
This is of course US-centric for US$ backed/pegged stable coins. We want regulation for crypto - so there you go.

In essence, this is just another indication that crypto is here to stay. It will work itself out. It's not like Mastercard or Visa will give up their new blockchain technology giving them speed and security and of course profit. The banks get their funds and custodial powers and everyone will benefit from the efficiency of the payment platforms from the hedge funds to the little guy sending money home to Timbuktu.

The idea that bitcoin is 'likely propped up on illegal stable coins" is so out in left field it is laughable.
Bitcoin and stable coins have nothing at all to do with each other. That's like pointing to the sun and calling it the moon.   

Almost like point at BTC and saying to the moon bc look at the last 6 years. I got moon analogies all day.

Juan Ponce de León

• Bristles
« Reply #433 on: November 03, 2021, 05:46:32 PM »

Sorry if I missed this earlier. If you don't mind my asking, @Juan Ponce de León, what % of your portfolio is in crypto vs conventional financial assets?

Is % the way you allocate to the non-crypto portion, or do you have other criteria instead (5 years' conventional assets, paid off house but the rest is crypto, etc)?

Are you seeking a FIRE target in some conventional way (eg, 25x annual spending) or using other goals for your accumulation strategies?

It's about 60/40 crypto vs stocks.  That was never the plan it's just the way it's worked out.  I don't put any new money into crypto and I try not to pull too much out, I'm basically playing with house money now so I'm happy to let it ride.  I'm not getting ahead of myself in regards to FIRE targets or anything like that.  If it happens, it happens.  If it all crashes to zero I'll diversify into tulip bulbs.

Juan Ponce de León

• Bristles
« Reply #434 on: November 03, 2021, 06:11:47 PM »

Almost like point at BTC and saying to the moon bc look at the last 6 years. I got moon analogies all day.

Anyone that bought BTC back then doesn't need to look to the moon, they're already on the moon LMAO

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #435 on: November 04, 2021, 08:26:47 AM »
According to Yahoo Finance, BTC opened at $403.66/BTC on Nov 4, 2015.  Currently, BTC costs $62328.90/BTC, for a gain of +15,441% in the past 6 years. Someone who put their $5,500 IRA contribution into BTC in 2015 should probably consider diversifying the $849,252 worth of BTC they're holding.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #436 on: November 04, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »

It's about 60/40 crypto vs stocks.  That was never the plan it's just the way it's worked out.  I don't put any new money into crypto and I try not to pull too much out, I'm basically playing with house money now so I'm happy to let it ride.  I'm not getting ahead of myself in regards to FIRE targets or anything like that.  If it happens, it happens.  If it all crashes to zero I'll diversify into tulip bulbs.

I'm curious about your allocation amongst your cypto assets, do you mind sharing? Here's mine:

VTSAX = 50%
Crypto = 50%

Of the Crypto, here's the current breakdown(it changes daily, because as you know, the price of all these things is terrifically volatile):
Ethereum = 56%
Bitcoin = 34.3%
alt coins = 9.3%

Of the 9.3% that I have in alt coins, here's the ones I have a small position in:
Cardano
Solana
Uniswap
Chainlink
Litecoin
Bitcoin Cash
Enjin
Polkadot
Avalanche
Aave
VeChain

Why do I own these alt coins:
Reason #1: In their own way, they each seem to be solving problems in a unique way that I think gives them value and lots of growth potential.
Reason #2: When I have a little skin in the game, I pay much closer attention to things.  If one or more of these coins becomes more important, I'll feel more comfortable taking a bigger position if I've been following the work being done on each project. 

What am I currently digging into that might change my strategy:
Now that I am investing in the cyrpto space, I want to start actually becoming a participant in the crypto space.  I think it's likely that in the next 10 years, people are going to transition to gaming on blockchain technology.  Axie Infinity is the biggest crypto game right now, and it's growing because you can earn money while playing in a variety of ways.  Axie Infinity is like Pokemon, except instead of one pokemon battling another pokemon, it's 3 axies battling against another person's 3 axies. 

You can make money in Axie Infinity in a few ways:
1.  When you win battles, you get money (in the form of the two cryptocurrency tokens created by the game...AXS and SLP tokens)
2.  You have to buy axies to battle.  But as those axies win battles and acquire more tokens, you can either cash those tokens out and convert to dollars (or whatever currency you want), or you can spend the tokens to breed your axies and create new axies
3.  When new axies are created, you can either sell them (usually for about $300 each right now), or create a new team of 3 axies with them and you can start battling with them to earn more tokens. 
4.  If you don't want to spend all of your time doing axie battles, you can allow others to battle for you.  If you play the game for a few hours each day, you can make about $300/month worth of SLP and AXS.  That works about to about $10/day.  For us, that's nothing, but for a person in a 3rd world country making $6 per day working their job in a factory, if they can go home and make an extra $10 playing a game for 3 hours, their life has changed.  When you allow someone to play for you, it's called a sponsorship. 

Right now I'm considering buying a bunch of axies and sponsoring other people to play for me.  So I won't actually play the game, I'll just breed axies my sponsors have won enough battles for me to breed them, then I'll sell the new axies...or form other sponsorship teams to grow my portfolio of axies.  Seems like a great way for me to learn more about the crypto space, and make some money while I do it. 

To do that, I'll probably sell 10-20k of my alt coins listed above to buy axies.  I hope to become educated enough on how to purchase/breed/sponsor to start by January of 2021, and my goal is to grow the 10-20k up to 100k+ by the end of 2022.  But who knows, maybe it sucks and I'll bail on it:)  Either way, the education I'll get from putting in the work will be worth a ton in its own right. 

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #437 on: November 04, 2021, 10:33:15 AM »
Now that I am investing in the cyrpto space, I want to start actually becoming a participant in the crypto space.  I think it's likely that in the next 10 years, people are going to transition to gaming on blockchain technology.  Axie Infinity is the biggest crypto game right now, and it's growing because you can earn money while playing in a variety of ways.  Axie Infinity is like Pokemon, except instead of one pokemon battling another pokemon, it's 3 axies battling against another person's 3 axies. 

1.  When you win battles, you get money (in the form of the two cryptocurrency tokens created by the game...AXS and SLP tokens)
2.  You have to buy axies to battle.  But as those axies win battles and acquire more tokens, you can either cash those tokens out and convert to dollars (or whatever currency you want), or you can spend the tokens to breed your axies and create new axies
3.  When new axies are created, you can either sell them (usually for about $300 each right now), or create a new team of 3 axies with them and you can start battling with them to earn more tokens. 
4.  If you don't want to spend all of your time doing axie battles, you can allow others to battle for you.  If you play the game for a few hours each day, you can make about $300/month worth of SLP and AXS.  That works about to about $10/day.  For us, that's nothing, but for a person in a 3rd world country making $6 per day working their job in a factory, if they can go home and make an extra $10 playing a game for 3 hours, their life has changed.  When you allow someone to play for you, it's called a sponsorship. 

Right now I'm considering buying a bunch of axies and sponsoring other people to play for me.  So I won't actually play the game, I'll just breed axies my sponsors have won enough battles for me to breed them, then I'll sell the new axies...or form other sponsorship teams to grow my portfolio of axies.  Seems like a great way for me to learn more about the crypto space, and make some money while I do it. 

To do that, I'll probably sell 10-20k of my alt coins listed above to buy axies.  I hope to become educated enough on how to purchase/breed/sponsor to start by January of 2021, and my goal is to grow the 10-20k up to 100k+ by the end of 2022.  But who knows, maybe it sucks and I'll bail on it:)  Either way, the education I'll get from putting in the work will be worth a ton in its own right.

We may be closer to the crypto peak than I thought...

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #438 on: November 04, 2021, 11:18:42 AM »

Haha, I guess I can't deny how weird it all sounds:) 

forgerator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #439 on: November 04, 2021, 11:26:17 AM »

Haha, I guess I can't deny how weird it all sounds:)

To be honest, 90% of the jargon we speak today in 2021 (e.g. Smart Phone, Internet, Tablet, App Store, VR etc.) would seem alien to anyone in the 80s. Maybe after 10-15 yrs it may not sound that alien at all !
btw I am just now getting into this metaverse / gaming / nft stuff and will go with a small allocation (not Axie infinity though as it has already pumped up a lot). Majority of my crypto is still in big caps. BTC, ETH, DOT, ADA, AVAX etc.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #440 on: November 04, 2021, 11:48:23 AM »

To be honest, 90% of the jargon we speak today in 2021 (e.g. Smart Phone, Internet, Tablet, App Store, VR etc.) would seem alien to anyone in the 80s. Maybe after 10-15 yrs it may not sound that alien at all !
btw I am just now getting into this metaverse / gaming / nft stuff and will go with a small allocation (not Axie infinity though as it has already pumped up a lot). Majority of my crypto is still in big caps. BTC, ETH, DOT, ADA, AVAX etc.

I like where you are allocated. 

And totally agree on the jargon.  In 10 years, saying you are going to "buy an NFT" will be as common as saying "let's get an Uber" today. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #441 on: November 04, 2021, 12:37:16 PM »
And totally agree on the jargon.  In 10 years, saying you are going to "buy an NFT" will be as common as saying "let's get an Uber" today.

'An Uber' is a direct replacement for 'a Taxi'.  It's a thing that exists, that serves a real need.  An NFT is not a thing, doesn't exist, and serves no need that anyone has ever been able to explain to me.

Cryptocurrency is an interesting but inherently flawed idea . . . NFTs are straight up lobotomized stupidity.  I have a bridge NFT to sell you.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #442 on: November 04, 2021, 12:44:37 PM »

'An Uber' is a direct replacement for 'a Taxi'.  It's a thing that exists, that serves a real need.  An NFT is not a thing, doesn't exist, and serves no need that anyone has ever been able to explain to me.

Cryptocurrency is an interesting but inherently flawed idea . . . NFTs are straight up lobotomized stupidity.  I have a bridge NFT to sell you.

i think NFTs are actually a practical implementation of Blockchain technology.  It replaces trading cards and physical art with a digital ownership of whatever a person considers art.  Some art is worth millions of dollars some is not.  While I don't own physical investor grade art or digital art i do think its a practical application for ownership tracing of digital art or collectibles.  Kids watch other kids play video games the way older generations watched other people play sports.  to be able to sell "an epic dunk" and be the person who owns that piece of digital media solely could be valuable to some maybe even profitable if its used in commercials or other types of ads.  The mona lisa is worth nothing to me but alot of people value it.  This doesn't give credence to the value of BTC IMO but it is a practical application of the technology.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #443 on: November 04, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »
I "get" NFT's but I don't get the interest in most of them.  I think most will be valueless.  However, I can see trading cards / sports cards / multimedia NFT ownership being a thriving industry.  As a lawyer, I find its copyright use interesting.  Also the idea of digitizing proof of ownership of hard assets on chain has always been interesting.

Personally, my crypto allocation is 55% Ethereum, 30% Bitcoin, 10% Cardano, 5% Polkadot.  I haven't bought anything in about a year and don't plan on buying anything until the next big correction (atlesst 60% from where it's at now).  I think it's coming soon but I am never right on these things so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.  Anyways, the 60% drops suck when they are happening but thats really when you make money in crypto.  When the alts are down 98% that's when you pick the ones you think will survive and drop a little into them; not now.  I personally think it's a bad idea to buy anything not named Bitcoin or Ethereun right now and I wouldn't buy that right now either. That's the only thing the cynics got right in this thread: now is a bad time to expand into any crypto.  It isn't going anywhere so you might as well take profits now and buy when the cynics say it's dead again.  I don't care what others do with their money but I think that would be the wisest move even for Boarder69, Gastrapod and GuitarSteve.  I doubt they will but I think history will show this is the right message.

JohnnyZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #444 on: November 04, 2021, 01:11:14 PM »

Dear god I hope not...

i think NFTs are actually a practical implementation of Blockchain technology.  It replaces trading cards and physical art with a digital ownership of whatever a person considers art.  Some art is worth millions of dollars some is not.  While I don't own physical investor grade art or digital art i do think its a practical application for ownership tracing of digital art or collectibles.  Kids watch other kids play video games the way older generations watched other people play sports.  to be able to sell "an epic dunk" and be the person who owns that piece of digital media solely could be valuable to some maybe even profitable if its used in commercials or other types of ads.  The mona lisa is worth nothing to me but alot of people value it.  This doesn't give credence to the value of BTC IMO but it is a practical application of the technology.

Well that's the thing though, with NFTs you don't actually own anything. Buying an NFT of a JPEG doesn't give you more right over the image than any one of the billions of people in the world. No one is prevented to sell 10 NFTs of the same thing. Buying an NFT of a NBA hot shot doesn't prevent other people from enjoying the video, doesn't allow you to use it commercially because the NBA still owns the video. It is the pinnacle of marketing and consumerism: they finally managed to sell literally nothing. I agree with Guitarstv, it's staight-up stupidity (from those who buy - those who sell are geniuses, though).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 01:15:17 PM by JohnnyZ »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #445 on: November 04, 2021, 01:16:04 PM »

Dear god I hope not...

Well that's the thing though, with NFTs you don't actually own anything, though. Buying an NFT of a JPEG doesn't give you more right over the image than any one of the billions of people in the world. No one is prevented to sell 10 NFTs of the same thing. Buying an NFT of a NBA hot shot doesn't prevent other people from enjoying the video, doesn't allow you to use it commercially because the NBA still owns the video. It is the pinnacle of marketing and consumerism: they finally managed to sell literally nothing. I agree with Guitarstv, it's staight-up stupidity (from those who buy - those who sell are geniuses, though).

Yep.  There seems to be no ownership of anything.  Would you like to tell your friends that you paid money for something that's free?  That appears to be the use case for NFTs.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #446 on: November 04, 2021, 01:41:55 PM »
I really enjoyed watching this user on Twitter have a conniption after his NFT apes were stolen (https://twitter.com/calvinbecerra/status/1454500282595901442). You can read through the progression, and see he (and probably any other crypto enthusiast) doesn't actually believe a single thing they say.

He says things like "Not changing my profile picture, it's still my ape!" https://twitter.com/calvinbecerra/status/1454500282595901442 In other words, he admits the blockchain entry does not, in any way, construe ownership. How do you think that one would hold up in a court battle over copyright law, onecoolcat? Does the blockchain do anything here? Obviously not.

He went to the FBI to ask them to help recover them. He asked OpenSea (centralized) to block the sale of them. And they did! So much for censorship-resistance, eh?

Funny how quickly the talking points evaporate after you fall victim to the very system you've been an acolyte to help build up.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 01:52:33 PM by the_gastropod »

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #447 on: November 04, 2021, 01:54:46 PM »
I really enjoyed watching this user on Twitter have a conniption after his NFT apes were stolen (https://twitter.com/calvinbecerra/status/1454500282595901442). You can read through the progression, and see he (and probably any other crypto enthusiast) doesn't actually believe a single thing they say.

He says things like "Not changing my profile picture, it's still my ape!" https://twitter.com/calvinbecerra/status/1454500282595901442 In other words, he admits the blockchain entry does not, in any way, construe ownership. How do you think that one would hold up in a court battle over copyright law, onecoolcat? Does the blockchain do anything here? Obviously not.

He went to the FBI to ask them to help recover them. He asked OpenSea (centralized) to block the sale of them. And they did! So much for censorship-resistance, eh?

Funny how quickly the talking points evaporate after you fall victim to the very system you've been an acolyte to help build up.

I think it says alot about you unfortunately that you take pleasure in people having a really bad day.  I hope you can find something positive in your life.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #448 on: November 04, 2021, 02:10:00 PM »

Dear god I hope not...

Well that's the thing though, with NFTs you don't actually own anything, though. Buying an NFT of a JPEG doesn't give you more right over the image than any one of the billions of people in the world. No one is prevented to sell 10 NFTs of the same thing. Buying an NFT of a NBA hot shot doesn't prevent other people from enjoying the video, doesn't allow you to use it commercially because the NBA still owns the video. It is the pinnacle of marketing and consumerism: they finally managed to sell literally nothing. I agree with Guitarstv, it's staight-up stupidity (from those who buy - those who sell are geniuses, though).

Yep.  There seems to be no ownership of anything.  Would you like to tell your friends that you paid money for something that's free?  That appears to be the use case for NFTs.

if there is no contractual ownership of a finite piece of art or collectible then yes it falls into the same camp as everything else but one could see how smart contracts could provide a copyright in this space even if not being done today.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #449 on: November 04, 2021, 02:20:18 PM »
if there is no contractual ownership of a finite piece of art or collectible then yes it falls into the same camp as everything else but one could see how smart contracts could provide a copyright in this space even if not being done today.

Let's think this through. At the end of the day, law is enforced by laws, courts, and—well—law enforcement. Take the example I posted above—where an NFT was stolen. Presumably that's still illegal, and would need to be reversed, right? If there's to be any value in this thing, it should reflect reality, so it would need to be updated to do so (e.g., ownership restored to the legal owner). Therefore, a backdoor for the authority who decides the actual source of truth with respect to ownership must be able to modify the blockchain "record book" on its own, rendering the whole setup pretty silly and redundant.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!