Author Topic: What are your moonshot investments?  (Read 29367 times)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
Re: What are your moonshot investments?
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2021, 11:00:13 AM »
ABNB, apparently.

Today I added some MOON to my portfolio.

WoodsRun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2021, 10:50:13 AM »
I have 15 shares of GME.
All money I'm prepared to lose.

PJC74

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2021, 03:13:11 PM »
Rolls Royce RYCEY  5k shares at $1.41

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2021, 05:33:10 AM »
Been in and out of alot of names of late with the sector rotations but other than my "Longs" currently in

ACB
GTBIF
MANU- Setup looks good for a re-opening play and could see it popping to 22-23 quickly
MRKR
NOK- Every week there penning another deal
OPTN
POAHY- I think Volkswagen is going to be the leader in EV's if not a major major player so think good way to play it as well as QS
PRQR
SURF
XERS

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2021, 04:24:35 AM »
RECAF trading should be interesting today. They announced overnight that their first test well found a working petroleum system.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/reconafrica-s-first-of-three-wells-confirms-a-working-petroleum-system-in-the-kavango-basin-namibia-865139500.html

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2021, 08:32:30 AM »
Was just going to thank whoever recommended that. I bought 200 shares for fun so being up 60% on that is nice.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2021, 08:48:42 AM »
Wish I'd bought BGFV.  I watched HIBB take off and should have realized BGFV would likely follow them up. 

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2021, 09:58:55 AM »
RECAF trading should be interesting today. They announced overnight that their first test well found a working petroleum system.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/reconafrica-s-first-of-three-wells-confirms-a-working-petroleum-system-in-the-kavango-basin-namibia-865139500.html

Just came to post the same thing.  Thanks for shedding light on this months ago!  I got in February because of that anecdote about the geologist you know dumping in $10K.  I'm excited for this stock, as more certainty comes into play I see it as easily worth $100/sh based on the thickness they've reported.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2021, 10:03:20 AM »
ABNB, apparently.

Today I added some MOON to my portfolio.

For a literal moonshot I added some VACQ today.

That's my moonshot stack, ~1% of my portfolio.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2021, 06:05:40 AM »

Just came to post the same thing.  Thanks for shedding light on this months ago!  I got in February because of that anecdote about the geologist you know dumping in $10K.  I'm excited for this stock, as more certainty comes into play I see it as easily worth $100/sh based on the thickness they've reported.

My geologist friend ended up investing quite a bit more, as did I. My share count is just over 10,000 so a $100 SP would work for me!  My friend has about 4x my stake so he needs only $25 to get his second comma.

The past 2 days were fun but I’m a bit disappointed with the stock price action. We’re still not at $1 billion MC, which EEENF crossed when they kinda sorta found 500 million barrels on Alaska’s North Slope.  That’s a puddle compared to the ocean RECAF could be sitting on.

I am encouraged though by the follow-thru Friday (closing over $6 seems very positive after the late afternoon sell off) so I’m looking for more realistic valuations in the coming days and weeks. I see no reason we’re not worth $10-15 right now. But what do I know, I make beer for a living?

So let’s enjoy it and look forward to bigger days.

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2021, 08:54:13 AM »
I won't go into the reasoning, I'd suggest checking them out especially VGAC

VGAC
IPOE
NAKD
PLTR
YJ
SOLO
AEVA

Also check out JMIA which I got in at 8 made it to 70 and is back around 30 but it will rise again

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2021, 07:05:18 PM »

My geologist friend ended up investing quite a bit more, as did I. My share count is just over 10,000 so a $100 SP would work for me!  My friend has about 4x my stake so he needs only $25 to get his second comma.

The past 2 days were fun but I’m a bit disappointed with the stock price action. We’re still not at $1 billion MC, which EEENF crossed when they kinda sorta found 500 million barrels on Alaska’s North Slope.  That’s a puddle compared to the ocean RECAF could be sitting on.

I am encouraged though by the follow-thru Friday (closing over $6 seems very positive after the late afternoon sell off) so I’m looking for more realistic valuations in the coming days and weeks. I see no reason we’re not worth $10-15 right now. But what do I know, I make beer for a living?

So let’s enjoy it and look forward to bigger days.

Yeah, I am small potatoes with 2,000 shares @ 3.03 but I'm happy with it so far!  I too thought it would go a little higher, i predicted to a friend that it would open at $6 and be to $9 by the weekend... so I was at least in the range.  I hope to see sub $5 again during the long lull between the 2nd drill results and maybe the 2D seismic results so I can scoop up a bit more on sale.  I really like this stock!   If it can get on the NASDAQ look out!

time is money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2021, 06:00:49 AM »
Haywood estimated valuation for RECAF based on 1 billion barrels of commercialized oil is 39$. 10 billion barrels would mean price in several hundreds $. It’s not forbidden to day dream but what if they really are sitting on 100+ billion barrels? That is share price in thousands. There’s still chance this can go to 0. So I am just sticking with my initial 4000 shares investment as commercializing even 10% of their estimated barrels of oil would be a life changing investment for me.

https://clients.haywood.com/uploadfiles/secured_reports/RECOApr152021.pdf?inf_contact_key=f5ac6be8b46ff88b3d6a14bac93ae655680f8914173f9191b1c0223e68310bb1

BigLumox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2021, 08:09:41 AM »
RECAF will be a fun one to watch. Im a little late to the party, but I scooped up a small stake to go along for the ride.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2021, 04:19:12 AM »
NOK and XERS are getting Jiggy

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2021, 06:53:05 AM »
I’ve lost 16% on 400 shares of Lynas Rare Earths (LYSDY).

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2021, 07:54:58 AM »
Succumbed to peer pressure
Entered limit order 100 RECAF  at 6.50 (in both Roth and taxable accounts).

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2021, 06:22:30 AM »
RECAF is the top story on CNN right now:  cnn.com

Yes it's a typical negative spin (environmental risk, big bad oil company running roughshod over locals) but it's also millions of people hearing about it for the first time.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2021, 10:02:25 AM »
Not sure if I posted this or not...

TELL   Tellurian, an LNG company.  I'm convinced we will be using natural gas more and more and LNG is the best way to transport it.  If we are going to really electrify everything, we are going to need a lot of electricity.  Natural gas is almost everywhere and is the cleanest fossil fuel we have.  Once we realize the storage issues related to using renewables on a large scale (already happening) there is going to be a greater acceptance of either natural gas and/or nuclear.  For nuclear, I hold some uranium miners as well.  But I don't really consider them "moonshot" status.  TELL isn't all that moonshot-y either.  They are profitable as the currently stand but their ambitions are definitely moonshot-eque and the have the management to pull it off. 

https://www.retailbull.co.uk/blog/tellurian-a-potential-100-bagger-stock
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:04:02 AM by ice_beard »

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »
Back in May I bought some PK, which is a REIT that owns Hilton-branded hotels and resorts.  Mostly higher end properties.  It was beat down about 2/3 off its normal trading range.  I assumed that travel will return eventually and the losses are temporary.  It was a good deal then, I'm not sure it is as good of a deal now.

I decided to cash out today.   I had a 161.63% gain, and the stock is starting to approach its old trading range, so I don't think it has a ton of upside left.  Proceeds are going back into the index. 

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2021, 09:08:07 AM »
Another nice little bump for RECAF today.  The real jump at this point will probably be after seismic results... the news yesterday was basically just confirming again what investors already knew.

Rockies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2021, 12:23:10 PM »
Obligatory disclaimer: the majority of my investments are in index funds and these speculative investments are a very small portion of my portfolio.

Now that that's out of the way... here are a few investments I hope to see 2-6x returns on:

MIND
CVM
ORRCF
IPOB
BTWNU

Happy to breakdown my thesis on these picks if there's interest.

How are these doing? You still excited about all of them?

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2021, 08:57:46 PM »
Not sure if I posted this or not...

TELL   Tellurian, an LNG company.  I'm convinced we will be using natural gas more and more and LNG is the best way to transport it.  If we are going to really electrify everything, we are going to need a lot of electricity.  Natural gas is almost everywhere and is the cleanest fossil fuel we have.  Once we realize the storage issues related to using renewables on a large scale (already happening) there is going to be a greater acceptance of either natural gas and/or nuclear.  For nuclear, I hold some uranium miners as well.  But I don't really consider them "moonshot" status.  TELL isn't all that moonshot-y either.  They are profitable as the currently stand but their ambitions are definitely moonshot-eque and the have the management to pull it off. 

https://www.retailbull.co.uk/blog/tellurian-a-potential-100-bagger-stock

TELL has recently announced two long term supply deals with major commodity traders, Gunvor and Vitol.  The stock price was about $2 a month ago, closed at $5.16 today.  I would not want to be short this one.  All aboard!  This train is picking up speed! 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2021, 02:49:16 AM »
INVU a coin I like there project
MKGI is getting close to being relisted and will then run
DFLYF- Canadian Drone company, small drones has good upside
ASTS- This one was over 20 I bought around 7.72 yesterday and started to run.

Long shots but I like these

GNOG
CLVS

to others I own and CLVS i have a full position and GNOG i add to on pull backs

XERS and NOK two I have owned are breaking out. I sold POAHY at 12$ and hope i get a chance to buy back.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2021, 11:15:49 PM »
AMC was a nice hit for me!!!

I bought in at $9 on Feb. 1st and sold for $68.  My kids where really excited when I told them that some nice hedge fund manger decided to send them to Disney for Christmas this year!!!

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2021, 01:07:56 PM »
Obligatory disclaimer: the majority of my investments are in index funds and these speculative investments are a very small portion of my portfolio.

Now that that's out of the way... here are a few investments I hope to see 2-6x returns on:

MIND
CVM
ORRCF
IPOB
BTWNU

Happy to breakdown my thesis on these picks if there's interest.

How are these doing? You still excited about all of them?

Some better than others.

Oroco has performed the best, it is more than a double for me now. Up about $1,200.

CVM has had some ups and downs, traded in and out so it's hard to tell, but I'm up about $8,500 overall. Results aren't in yet, have about 10 grand I'm hoping to see turn into about 50.

BTWN like most SPACs has been lackluster but is starting to come back. I have about 10 grand in BTWN and 25 in BTNB, both have found acquisition/merger targets that I am bullish on so I believe once the financials and quarterly earnings roll in I will be doing really well on these picks. Down about 1 grand on them overall.

MIND has been up and down. I'm up about $1,800 as I've trimmed the rallies and bought the dips. Holding about 5 grand currently.

IPOB, I think this is now OPEN? I'm up just over $2,000 as I have, again trimmed rallies and bought dips. I thought I'd be down big on this but apparently not.

RECAF and CONXF have been winners for me as well.

I mostly trade using a portion of my 401k as well as my HSA, which allows me to avoid worrying about short term capital gains tax, and over 1 yr I have a 47% return and over 2 yrs I'm at 100%. I started just over 2 yrs ago.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2021, 02:16:05 PM »

RECAF and CONXF have been winners for me as well.

Every bit of news so far from RECAF has been positive.  What you can read "between the lines" is even more encouraging.  I continue to accumulate shares at these current prices.   

BigLumox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2021, 07:58:14 AM »
RECAF pushing $10.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2021, 08:16:55 AM »
RECAF pushing $10.

Indeed.  The movement is a little strange though, what is this most recent 30% increase from?  The news about NAMCOR (seems somewhat insignificant?), or is there some even better news coming that has been leaked and the market is beginning to react?

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2021, 12:56:31 PM »
RECAF pushing $10.

Indeed.  The movement is a little strange though, what is this most recent 30% increase from?  The news about NAMCOR (seems somewhat insignificant?), or is there some even better news coming that has been leaked and the market is beginning to react?

Momentum is my guess. Once people see that other investors aren't cashing out, they figure other investors are going long. High risk, high reward - and the lack of investors running for the exits fills makes for a bullish outlook.

I don't follow this same thesis for companies with limited upside, but for something like RECAF where they have rights to the entire Kavango basin, which they say could be good for 30 billion barrels of crude. 1 barrel is what, $70 right now? Seems like there is far more reason to buy than to sell given a 1.5b valuation. And there hasn't been any bad news on the discovery front, maybe a little pushback from NatGeo. But given how much positive economic impact this would have on African nations that could certainly use a GDP boost, I don't see any opposition being able to hold back the flood of demand here.

I think I just talked myself into more shares.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2021, 04:43:34 PM »
This week certainly has been fun. The only obvious criticism of this jump is it has been the very low volume. I’m looking for days with 10 or 60 million shares traded.

My other comment is that there may not be a “reason” for the jump other than it getting to where it should be. After the positive results from the first two wells we *should* be at US$12-15. IMO.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2021, 11:47:11 AM »
I keep coming back for ideas... there has been some pretty nice hits mentioned throughout this thread

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2021, 11:47:44 AM »
Gamestop, bought around $5. Hoping it reaches 20s. It was close at 16 until past earnings when dropped. Christmas earnings should help.

This is my favorite...

WoodsRun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2021, 11:54:13 AM »
Buying Loopring Coin (LRC). Not sure if that counts since it is in the crypto world.
The technology allows for less gas fees but still with Ethereum security.
I think this will be valuable in medium to long term future.

It's less than $3 per coin now (Nov 9 2021). I'd be ecstatic if this reaches double digits.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2021, 07:14:32 PM »
Been buying SI... Bank that actually believes in non 70s technology. Stock is great!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2021, 12:22:49 AM »
RECAF pushing $10.
While I'm not pointing finger(s) here, I did buy RECAF a 6.5 based on this thread.
Current 5.48.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2021, 04:11:57 AM »
RECAF pushing $10.
While I'm not pointing finger(s) here, I did buy RECAF a 6.5 based on this thread.
Current 5.48.

You will do well.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2021, 11:32:14 AM »
Joining the Recaf club at $5.23/ share
i have some Rocket Lab also

ARKK is my best performing stock/fund in my brokerage account
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 11:34:18 AM by joe189man »

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2021, 12:04:07 PM »
I’ve lost 16% on 400 shares of Lynas Rare Earths (LYSDY).

Now up 11%. Yay inflation!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2021, 12:04:55 PM »
I am still really high on RECAF despite what feels like a letdown in stock price.  The truth is the company is still in speculation phase until it proves it has reserves, all the big news about having a working petroleum system (April) and viable geology for target traps (November) just help with the speculating.  2022 will be the year where reserves are proven and Joint Venture talk takes off... hopefully that happens because I have more than I'd like to admit in this company.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2021, 03:40:26 PM »
I am still really high on RECAF despite what feels like a letdown in stock price.  The truth is the company is still in speculation phase until it proves it has reserves, all the big news about having a working petroleum system (April) and viable geology for target traps (November) just help with the speculating.  2022 will be the year where reserves are proven and Joint Venture talk takes off... hopefully that happens because I have more than I'd like to admit in this company.

Yup, me too.

The exploration progress has been going exceedingly well. The stock price will follow.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2021, 08:07:13 PM »
KLXE
It's a oil support company.  The stock has bottomed, it has a low float, and a current market cap around 50m but projected to have 1b in revenue (seriously).  They've had some mergers in the past few years and appear well positioned for an upcoming boom in service needs.  Some believe they are heavily shorted and are ripe for a short squeeze too.  On paper, it looks like a shitty company, but so were/are the companies I've done the best on in the OG space since 2020. (CPE, CDEV, PVAC, OXY, etc.)  The worse the balance sheet, the more gain there is to have in share price.  Most of the E&P companies have already seen their share prices rise significantly, they track the price per barrel somewhat.  The services sector lags because their work comes later in the cycle.  The early quarterlies in the space are showing signs of improvement.  Crappy companies like BORR are heading up because new contracts are coming in.  KLXE fits in this space.  The biggies in this space are HAL, SLB and their performance is somewhat indicative of the services market.  This is not a long term hold.  I'll take my 3-10x and call it good.

LetsRetireYoung

• Stubble
  • Earn more. Spend less. Invest the rest. ;)
    • my Let's Retire Young blog
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2021, 11:00:15 PM »
So this is the MMM version of wallstreetbets, eh? :)))

I'm an avid stock investor - my hand-picked value stock portfolio back in May 2020 went up almost 200% within a year, which helped bankroll my lean-FIRE. Most of the stocks I invest in are not moonshots at all. Pretty boring, actually - just swing-trade and arbitrage opportunities.

The only moonshot I have in my portfolio is this: ORGN. They're a carbon-negative materials company. Their technology was audited and it's been established that they can, in fact, manufacture stuff at scale with negative carbon emissions. The construction on their first manufacturing plant is 6 months ahead of schedule. More importantly, the insiders are buying their own company's stock, which is a pretty damn good sign.

Once they build more manufacturing plants, get large contracts, generate even more good press, etc, their cash flow will be beyond impressive. ("This soda can was made with negative carbon emissions! Buy slurpo-cola, save the planet!" etc etc) I hold a couple thousand shares and some loooong leap calls for 2024 in my Roth IRA. This could be very interesting. ;)

If you decide to follow in my footsteps and make money on this trade, donate some of your profit to the King County Search & Rescue over here. Tell them that rescuer 602 sent you. :)

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2021, 04:07:15 AM »
Although some of these seem like good investments, do any of you guys feel bad or get nervous about investing in oil and gas companies? Climate change ethics aside, the regulatory environment, political environment, and support from banks and institutional investors does not favor oil and gas companies over the next decade. Furthermore, with the transition to cleaner forms of energy, peak oil demand may be coming soon.

30 billion barrels of oil is nice, but what use is it if nobody is willing to invest the money needed to pump it out of the ground because banks and institutional investors are wary of oil and gas loans and investments, and nobody is interested in buying it because demand for oil has peaked? Plus, you have to deal with political pressure from regulators, climate change activists, and the woke brigade who will complain about “colonizers” exploiting Africa for its natural resources. Is RECAF intended to be a long-term investment or do you plan on dropping it once the reserves are proved out?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 04:24:35 AM by Herbert Derp »

StachelessNicholas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2021, 07:42:15 AM »
Lucid
SoFI
GME
GGPI-Recent addition a few weeks ago that started paying last week

I've held each of these for better part of a year now and they keep delivering... Pull profits on any big run and tuck them safely into my beloved indexes.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2021, 11:31:31 AM »
Although some of these seem like good investments, do any of you guys feel bad or get nervous about investing in oil and gas companies? Climate change ethics aside, the regulatory environment, political environment, and support from banks and institutional investors does not favor oil and gas companies over the next decade. Furthermore, with the transition to cleaner forms of energy, peak oil demand may be coming soon.

Yes, I would buy VT-ex fossil fuels if I could, especially oil and coal. Not because of any moral/ethical consideration, just future gains.

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2021, 07:37:07 PM »
Just posted a thread on this then saw this one where it's prob more appropriate

Was draining my accts each wk during those crashes this spring, only need pltr to start running, had intended on holding these long though

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2021, 09:20:53 PM »
I invested $12K into starting a trucking company.   I'm putting in 50% of the capital and almost none of the work.   We're at 50% ownership now, over time, that will drop to 5% as my business buddy will be putting in all the sweat equity.

We'll find out if it grows into real money-maker or just an ok business.   

It's not much to lose if that happens, the odds are it will do passably well or better.   I don't need it to provide income or get repaid any time soon, and can provide some additional capital if it makes sense to do so.

We're planning on using it as an income stream for charitable purposes.  Our partner wants the truckers working for him to be better treated and better paid than truckers usually are.  (So do we.)   We're both FI so we can afford to do things that are right by other folks.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2021, 08:26:22 PM »

Yes, I would buy VT-ex fossil fuels if I could, especially oil and coal. Not because of any moral/ethical consideration, just future gains.

I saw this today: WSJ: Trillions in Assets May Be Left Stranded as Companies Address Climate Change. Their take is that ignoring climate change ultimately leads to more losses in things like buildings that are literally underwater.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2021, 01:40:29 PM »
Regarding "ethics"...  I started picking individual stocks in 2020 and don't do it that much.  I look for incredibly under-valued sectors.  Oil and gas fit that criteria in 2020 and some sub-sectors still do today.  If I wasn't heating my home with natural gas and putting gasoline into both my cars, I might feel like this is a ethically questionable position.  But we're a long way away from powering the world with anything else, so no, I don't feel bad about it.  I'd rather LNG start to take a larger role in our energy supply.  It's much cleaner than crude and coal and NG is everywhere. We don't need to re-invent that wheel, it's already done.  Electric + batteries just isn't a good solution.  Mining cobalt in the Congo + waste issues plus so much more makes battery tech a slightly less shitty solution than what we currently have.  I don't buy it.