Author Topic: What are your correction "losses"  (Read 17291 times)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
Re: What are your correction "losses"
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »
Given another day of -3% so far, some people might have updates.

Overall this week losses have been about -15% for the entire US market (and maybe -10% for international?).

People like you are why I know roughly what the drop in assets was. I agree with GuitarStv that actual loses are zero since I haven't sold anything though I do wish I'd been a little more disciplined in re-balancing US and International after the US run up last year...

I actually bought large (for us) slices of VTSAX and VTIAX on Wednesday afternoon because the plan was to buy "as soon as I knew which accounts to buy with for optimal taxes"...

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2020, 10:41:47 AM »
I said almost the same thing expecting to get a rise out of my wife and she just responded "so? Markets go up and down, and we knew that going in.  We're in it for the long haul, so stop looking at the balances because it doesn't matter"

Which is exactly what I've been trying to drill into her head since we started this journey like 6 years ago.  She has internalized it more than I thought she would, so both of us are completely zen about it.

Nice! Well done.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2020, 10:43:04 AM »
$15K in paper losses so far.

Will that even buy the portion of the car that is in your profile photo? :)

Valvore

• Stubble
  • Formerly known as FireryFIRE
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2020, 10:49:32 AM »
As OP I guess I'll state the obvious.... Of course there haven't been any realized losses because none of us have sold. That is why "losses" is in quotes. Is that ok snarky internet friends? lol

Valvore

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2020, 10:50:50 AM »
Lost a comma.

That's got to sting a little :( It'll be back up there sooner or later!

Valvore

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2020, 10:54:37 AM »
Yesterday I was down 70k from 2/1. I know it's all monopoly money that I made in the runup from Dec-Jan. But still. It's about double that if you went from the high on 2/20.

Add in today's losses? I'm now down ~98k from 2/1 maybe even more. I'll find out tomorrow at my monthly NW check-in. I thought I could handle a correction but 6 days in a row is too much. I think I'm going to have to stop watching now. I've dumped 10k into VTSAX during this dropoff and it just keeps losing more and more. Also, real cool that our annual 401k match was deposited on Monday and I've been frontloading our 401k's..... Last years huge gains gave me false hopes of quitting and take a year off this year. Guess not now.

Twins! I've also been front loading in anticipation of taking a sabbatical this year. We had a goal number to hit before we quit and take off. We were so close, and now we are much farther away. Le Sigh.

G-String

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2020, 11:03:17 AM »
I'm down around 7% this week.  Bonds are all that prevented it from being worse. 

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2020, 11:36:34 AM »
My annual salary

That’s when you know sh1t is real.

Haven’t checked my funds in the past week as I’m on hols and it takes a good amount of effort to log into all the various accounts I hold, but I would estimate I’m easily down >10% despite holding what I consider a defensively positioned portfolio.

Ricochet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2020, 11:39:50 AM »
0$

You don't lose anything unless you sell.
I'm with you... this was a "going all in" opportunity for some cash reserves I had. No plans to sell any time soon.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2020, 11:41:50 AM »
I have a large position in AAPL. It started today at $258, and is back up to $270 right now.

More importantly for me, a different stock that I'm very interested in is behaving nicely. I have a reasonable amount of RSU vesting in it based on today's closing price. I want it to remain as low as possible because I pay income tax on the entire vesting amount - not capital gains.

I first saw AAPL creeping upwards, and started panicking! But the other one is staying nice and low! That's my boy!!

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2020, 11:46:51 AM »
As OP I guess I'll state the obvious.... Of course there haven't been any realized losses because none of us have sold. That is why "losses" is in quotes. Is that ok snarky internet friends? lol

It's still a loss of equity.  When people talk about their stash and net worth, they don't put a qualifier on there that they have invested in equities and may have unrealized gains/losses.  They include the current equity value, and they include it whether it's been "realized" or not.

Money is fungible.  It's still a loss.  No use downplaying it.

marcus_aurelius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2020, 11:49:26 AM »
About $180K paper losses so far (from overall stock portfolio of ~1.8M), but no worries. Won't sell anything or change 401K contributions. Will buy ~$75K if market drops another 5%.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2020, 12:00:53 PM »
Probably a lot but I haven't even looked. Trying to figure out when I'll be brave enough to put a bunch more into the market.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2020, 12:17:31 PM »
0$

I guess you haven’t gained anything either unless you sell :-d

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2020, 12:39:21 PM »
A hundred fifty grand before today (Friday).  I doubt I'll even get down half a mil before things turn around.  snooze.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2020, 12:42:31 PM »
Not sure what is meant by all this talk about a buying opportunity. Was the market a bargain 5 months ago at the same prices? If so, should I presume you went all in at that time? If that’s the case, how much money could you possibly have now that you could deploy into stocks?

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2020, 12:47:52 PM »
Down about a year's gross pay, and taking advantage of it is much as possible:

**Invested three months gross pay this morning
**Refi-ing house to 30 year fixed at 3.25%
**If we get another 15% drop, I'll be using the dip to simplify my taxable portfolio

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2020, 12:47:55 PM »
Maybe I am a masochist but it is actually comforting seeing big swings when you have a pretty large chunk in the market.

It makes the math a reality when you see a swing and realize that it is a year or two of spending or as much as you earn in a year suddenly the concept of your little green soldiers (compound interest) working is real.

Still over a year out from FIRE sitting at 80/20 stocks / bonds and our account values have dropped by about 2 years worth of expenses guessing 3 by the end of today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2020, 01:16:19 PM »
0$

I guess you haven’t gained anything either unless you sell :-d

Yep.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2020, 01:34:15 PM »
I'm curious why most people are using an amount of money to define their losses. Am I missing something or doesn't that prevent an apples to apples comparison?

We're down less than 3.5%. We use Ray Dalio's All Weather Portfolio.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »
I'm curious why most people are using an amount of money to define their losses. Am I missing something or doesn't that prevent an apples to apples comparison?

Because no one cares if your $1,500 portfolio is down 10%, 20%, or even 50%.  It's peanuts because your entire portfolio is peanuts.  If your $2M portfolio is down 20% however, that translates to a real dollar value that can be staggering. 

I checked my portfolio and posted in this thread, but I only get a snapshot of it on the first of the month, so I lost all gains between Feb 1 and the top, and then some.  My dollar value is probably closer to $50k in "losses" that I'm down. 

G-String

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2020, 02:12:10 PM »
It appears there are some signs the crash may be nearing its end.  The Nasdaq ended the day in the green, albeit a very, very small gain of 0.01%. 

Cabaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2020, 02:18:54 PM »
zero, cause I haven't sold anything

but yea ok down about a Mercedes

no one that did not sell did not lose number of shares in this or that account but you still lost time. you think it's going to gain all that back in 6 days or 6 months given the economic affects alone from the virus are still growing and will take a long time to recover. it's probably a year minimum before you are back. anyone that follows a simple moving average kept more capital and now has more to reallocate when the trend reverses, but you all keep dollar cost averaging away.

Laura Ingalls

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2020, 02:33:58 PM »

I will phrase mine not as $ or % but as three years expenses.  Not enjoying it but not stressed either.

Jonboyz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2020, 03:08:46 PM »
$114,0000 dip, not a loss unless I were foolish enough to divest my investments right now.

It’s a good exercise in self-discipline and learning to not get caught up in mass hysteria.

mudstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2020, 03:22:55 PM »
-$44,700 before today's drop.  It'll be a few hours before my accounts reflect the slip today.  Bummer to have to wait for it to recover, but at least I can buy at a discount next week when my bonus gets paid!

I'm Fred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2020, 05:24:37 PM »
Down about $420,000.  Can I get a cookie?

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2020, 05:30:26 PM »

Well, it ended better than when I checked earlier in the day.  Since the Feb 19th closing high in the S&P 500, I'm down a little less than 4 years of bare bones expenses and about 2 years of expenses when including discretionary spending.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2020, 05:35:51 PM »
Thanks for making me check today lol.  Compared to Monday when I last checked, I am down $38k. I cringed a bit but am pressing on.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 08:17:21 PM by elaine amj »

Stachless

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2020, 05:43:22 PM »
Down about 18 months of living expenses as of close of market today. 

Though I could easily shrink that figure just by spending a whole lot more!

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2020, 07:14:57 PM »
My personal capital is all over the place at the moment so it’s hard to calculate my official losses. I have a bit over 2 years living expenses in cash saved, so now I’m in the process of slowly dumping about half that into the market. $15k hit my vanguard VTSAX today. I transferred another $30k from my checking to my vanguard money market in preparation of my next investment, and I transferred $40k from my high yield savings to my checking also in preparation of more investing.

Once all that is settled I “think” I’ll be down around $50k or so from my peak.

Full Beard

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2020, 08:43:34 PM »
I'm down about a high end Toyota Corolla. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2020, 09:18:39 PM »
Paper loss of just under $9000 as of market close this evening (I reconcile Quicken on Fridays). *shrugs* Since we're nowhere close to FIRE, I'm not particularly concerned.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2020, 04:02:36 AM »
Month to month, it doesn't look too bad. I'm only down about $10,000 compared to the end of January. I'm down about $20,000 from the all time high we had last week.

I'm prepared for it to get worse. It sucks to see your net worth take a beating like that, but the flip side is stocks are on sale right now.

xander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2020, 04:25:02 AM »
So I was on the sidelines a week or so ago. Then I put roughly 88% of my net worth back into the market between my brokerage and 401k account. I made a post about it being all proud that I was finally done being a market timer.

Then this happened lol. Are there any admins in here that can change my username to Bob?

Not a big deal though since I didn't sell. Losses are around $17000. It will be a blip in the grand scheme of things.

celerystalks

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2020, 04:58:59 AM »
Lost a comma.

That's got to sting a little :( It'll be back up there sooner or later!

I didn’t feel a thing. Still have the same amount of assets, the price is just different. Actually...I have MORE assets, since I bought MORE through the sell-off.

MoneyGoatee

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2020, 11:02:29 AM »
This is nothing to long-term investors.  Those who are affected are those who were set to retire on Feb 20th with retirable nest eggs up until that point, but the subsequent 14% drop in the market suddenly lowered their nest eggs to UNretirable amounts.  If they were set to start withdrawing from their nest eggs, then now it is probably NOT the time.  This is when having a 6 months to a year's worth of emergency fund would be useful.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2020, 11:53:02 AM »
Is anybody else proud of the fact they don't know and haven't looked?
HAHA yes.

The only thing I might do is change my asset allocation at some point to take advantage of the inevitable slow rise.

Personally, I think investors have been spooked for a while, and are using the virus to justify a sell-off.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2020, 02:05:39 PM »
Couldn't tell you.

I'm just super bummed I decided to take this year off to go back to school and don't have thousands and thousands to throw at this beautiful trough.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2020, 02:15:09 PM »
Down about 110k from our latest peak on 2/19/2020.  But only down around 27k from Jan 1.  And still up roughly 289k from a year ago. 

I did harvest a small amount of gains in October 2019 and Jan 2020 -- I have reasons for holding those funds in cash for now, may deploy them (+ other cash funds) if we have a really bad year.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2020, 11:18:41 PM »
I wasn't going to check, except this thread inspired me to run the numbers.  "Lost" about a year's worth of living expenses, or about 20k.  Can't deny that it pinches a little, but I just so happened to sell off a big chunk back in January for unrelated reasons and was just considering funding my Roth IRA this year so.... yay accidental market timing, I guess.  This is the biggest correction I've encountered since starting to invest seriously, and if I can keep my attitude at a mild "well, guess that kinda sucks" territory, I think I'll be fine.

appleshampooid

• Bristles
  • Relentless Snacker
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2020, 04:05:11 AM »
About 70k I think, not paying too close attention.

I'm just pissed because I was so busy on Friday putting in a refinance application that I forgot to hit the exchange button on my TLH order. Had it all ready to go but was waiting until just before close to make sure I got the right lots (MFs so no real time pricing). Realized I missed the boat at 16:04 .

Looking at futures, market will probably rebound today, but I'm hoping/guessing the TLH opportunities won't be gone...

Bettersafe

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2020, 06:16:06 AM »
Well.... to be honest.... I just started investing in January this year.... so my losses a insignificant to some numbers I've seen here.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2020, 06:35:20 AM »
This is my first true correction (I thought Dec 2018 was pretty minor).

I thought the market hit ~20% drop last quarter of 2018? (so not just a correction but almost a bear).... maybe it was 10%, its amazing how far ago these can become in the mind so quickly.  This one is definitely a lot faster.

Looks like from top to bottom so far is about $3.09m to 2.82m, so about 9%.  Wow, that was fast.  The thing that makes this one a lot more noticeable to me than past ones is just the happenstance that I've always considered $3M to be my somewhat arbitrary FatFIRE number (producing $10k/mth @ 4%SWR), so that threshold has some meaning to me, and I watched it solidly cross over over the last 4 months and the solidly cross back last week...the definition of easy come easy go ;-)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2020, 10:58:24 AM »

It's still a loss of equity.  When people talk about their stash and net worth, they don't put a qualifier on there that they have invested in equities and may have unrealized gains/losses.  They include the current equity value, and they include it whether it's been "realized" or not.

Money is fungible.  It's still a loss.  No use downplaying it.

There is a lot of use in downplaying putting it in perspective.  The biggest threat to your investments is your own psychology.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2020, 11:03:12 AM »
well crap I can add a bit more to my losses due to the time it took to sell one equity and buy another... I was trying to keep the same assest allocation but move the riskier asset from my regular IRA to my Roth, but forgot it took a day for VTSAX sales to clear on Friday. By the time I woke up (Alaska) I'd missed 3%

foghorn

• Stubble
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2020, 11:24:33 AM »
I updated my portfolio over the weekend and the Net Worth "reduction" was about $118,000 - or about 4% of Investment NW (not including Home Value).

But like most others - I did not sell, so no losses.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2020, 12:33:09 PM »
~100k! Happy to see things back up a bit today. And happy it didn't bother me in the slightest. I just didn't look...

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2020, 02:33:43 PM »
I updated the net worth schedule this morning. We are down around $185K, and this does not factor in our February savings. It was hard to see our net worth drop by a full year of AGI, but it does not change anything with our day to day lives. We are continuing to invest as planned.

Actually, I feel proud that i didn't check the balances every day last week as the markets tumbled. I waited for my normal monthly check in to update the net worth schedule and double check that all of the direct deposits and automatic investments were processed correctly.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2020, 04:10:55 PM »
Paper losses about 2x what I make in a year, or 5x living expenses, I haven't checked exactly.  I put $200k more into index funds Friday, like to buy on sale, looks like I was right not to wait until today (Monday) when the market rebounded 5%. 

I would not be surprised if it drops again, as supply chain disruptions continue, but if so I have some more I can invest. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!